Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: face the facts this team is S-O-F-T

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default face the facts this team is S-O-F-T

guys i have loved the Blue and Gold since the days of Vern Fleming, Chuck Person, Detlef Schremph and so on. i will continue to support this team. but im not going to sugarcoat this at all.

and before we everyone starts with the Granger is out threads. look at last seasons Bulls team who continued to win in spite of missing their MVP.

for all those so excited to see Larry Bird leave, well here is what you get. this is practically the same team as last year and not much better. Bird prob left because Simon is not willing to do what it takes to get this team to the next level. this team will still compete but this season is not going to be the year we upset Miami and win a Trophy.

* for all the hype Paul George had during the offseason, its prob gonna to stay HYPE and not translate to the court. Paul is timid and careless with the ball at times. he will improve but he is no where near being the X factor for this team.

* Hibbert = S-O-F-T
    your shot may not be falling Roy but that doesnt mean you can get burned on the other end last night and then sulk after everytime Duncan makes you look like his ***** there is one constant in Basketball a player can control and thats DEFENSE. Hibberts shot may not be falling but he played like as S O F T as possible last night. starting to look like Bosh out there Roy.

in fact Bird had it right.

THIS FLIPPIN TEAM IS S-O-F-T.

and that falls on Vogel. everyone loves and respects Vogel because lets face it.. anything is better than JOB and his madness. but this is a business and this style of play is getting tiresome quick.

if not for George Hill last night we get blown out by 40.

if Vogel does not right the ship soon ship him out and let Shaw take over.

plain and simple.

THIS TEAM IS S O F T (w the exception of West Hill Hansbro).

for those of you comparing former pacer glory days.. Roy Hibbert would soil himself if he faced the DAVIS BROS and Big Smooth.

Default Re: face the facts this team is S-O-F-T

define what you mean by soft. it means different things to different people

yah...

no

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    same thing Bird meant by it. im at work so i wont go much farther than that if you get my drift... basically the same context as Legend used the term.

you tell me what you think UB.

lets put it this way.. maybe Bob Knight should pay Roy Hibberts locker a visit give him a the same thing he gave some of the players he had who were SOFT. i think many on here will know exactly what i mean.

the other context i believe Bird was implying is this team is mentally SOFT. and it all starts with Hibbert. sorry but the gloves are off.. he is getting paid and no more excuses for the Big Fella. the fact Vogel has a crappy system in place and HIbbert prob does not get the ball enough. but because your Offense sucks is not an excuse to let Tim Duncan school you like he is still in his prime.

Hibbert played SOFT (censored version) all night long on D imo. Duncan straight made him his *****.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

for all of you naive in believing Granger is gonna come back and be the savior of this franchise.. enjoy living in fantasy land while you can. once granger comes back things will only slightly improve.

if things do not pickup significantly soon Pacers Digest will be calling for Brian Shaw by the all-star break. Granger is just an excuse for everyone to fall back on until reality smacks all us pacer fans in the face.

this team is SOFT.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Banned

"They are as soft as a baby's a**"

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Fouling instead of allowing the excessive number of baskets made right at the rim. Absolutely forcing the other team to be jump shooters. Like San Antonio did to the Pacers. Not aggressive enough going to the basket and settling for jumpers. Force the issue underneath. With Roy, West and PG. Send everyone to the hoop for awhile on rebounds.
    What happened to that team that Vogel took over and played so aggressively??
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

When Foster left this team I think most of the toughness went with him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

12. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Wait what is this team?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ReginaldWayne For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, the Pacers lead the league in RPG with 53.3

They are 7th in PPG/Allowed with 94.

They are second in opponents adjusted FG% at 43%

They are first in the league in opponents Points Per Possession at 1.03

They are 6th in opponents FTA/game at 19

They are first in the league in blocks per game with 9

Sure, this team has struggled. But toughness? Give me a break. The issues are shooting and turnovers, basically sloppy play offensively.

Of course, just my $.02

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

lets just keep overreacting even though our best player is gone and we have a whole new bench, I DONT EVEN THINK THE PACERS CAN WIN 10 MORE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!! THEY JUST ARE TOO SOFT THROUGH THE FIRST 4 GAMES OF THE SEASON TO ME

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

I think we are losing games because of our complete inability to put the ball in the basket, coupled with the ridiculous amount of turnovers. In the first 4 games we've only shot better than 40% from the field once (Raptors). Since then we've been in the 30's. I don't care if your defense is better than the 1988 Pistons, you need to shoot better than 35% from the field to win games. Combine that with garbage free throw shooting through a couple games and there you go. I think our defense has been serviceable. It's about where I expected it to be right now. We seem to be able to put the clamps down when needed (aside from the Spurs). But we can't score, or run an offensive set to save our lives. We have about 3 plays right now on offense.

For some reason our offense consists of the PG and the PF standing at the top of the key and running around in circles. Then when the clock winds down throw up an ugly shot, or pass it to one of the wings for a turnover (Paul or Gerald). Or we could always throw it down to Roy so it can get stolen on the entry pass. Someone needs to teach him how to seal his man. Too many PGs, SGs, and SFs get blamed for bad post entry passes. Most of the time it's the PF or C's fault because they aren't strong enough or mobile enough to keep their man behind them.

So many things to fix. We've really regressed over the summer....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    for all of you naive in believing Granger is gonna come back and be the savior of this franchise.. enjoy living in fantasy land while you can. once granger comes back things will only slightly improve.

if things do not pickup significantly soon Pacers Digest will be calling for Brian Shaw by the all-star break. Granger is just an excuse for everyone to fall back on until reality smacks all us pacer fans in the face.
    Actually, once Granger is back, I think it will make a significant difference in W-L expectations. However, I agree that, with the exception of Hill and West we have no mental toughness. I also agree that we are playing a bit soft, especially Hibbert, and cannot exert our will on even the weakest of teams at this time.

For those reasons, I am very worried about competing with the best of the best. Either Granger has to have much more influence on our toughness than I think he does or Hibbert has to grow a pair and man up every game out. Without that, we will not challenge the best teams.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

This team is SOFT.
    Could you say that again, not sure I caught it the first eight times.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No excuse for Roy to only score 2 points after signing that contract. In terms of soft, I would consider Ian Mahinmi as soft. The only players with grit are Hans, West, and Lance. Granger at least wants to be tough. Roy and Paul seem content not to have any fight in them
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Sure, this team has struggled. But toughness? Give me a break. The issues are shooting and turnovers, basically sloppy play offensively.

Of course, just my $.02
    Thank you for your voice of reason.

People who draw major conclusions after just 4 games are IMHO, S.O.F.T!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

More mentally soft than physically soft though. Any appearance of being physically soft is a consequence of being mentally soft. If the latter changes, so too will the perception of the former.

But no one in the post is really calling David West or Tyler Hansbrough soft right now, I can assure you.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course, just my $.02
    Toronto, Charlotte, Sacrapmento and San Antonio.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    especially Hibbert, and cannot exert our will on even the weakest of teams at this time.

For those reasons, I am very worried about competing with the best of the best. Either Granger has to have much more influence on our toughness than I think he does or Hibbert has to grow a pair and man up every game out. Without that, we will not challenge the best teams.
    i dont care if Hibbert only scores 4 pts a game but he has to control the paint. Duncan punked him all night long. and the thing is.. Hibbert just accepted it. do something Hibbert.. knock him on his ***. Hibbert is this teams heartbeat.

I expect him to dominate the paint Dikembe Mutumbo style. he played SOFT last night. no EFFORT on Defense is not acceptable for the gamechecks he earns.

just my .02

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Of course, just my $.02
    Exactly, this thread is way off base. We aren't soft, just sloppy. We actually have a pretty good defense so far, but we are shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers and poor foul shooting.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Toronto, Charlotte, Sacrapmento and San Antonio.
    Oh, so, what, they were supposed to be BETTER than #1 in most of those categories? They've defensively dominated inferior teams, which destroys this foolish notion of the team being "soft". If they could score points, they'd have blown out all 3 teams, and had a chance against SA.

Whatever.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

guys i have loved the Blue and Gold since the days of Vern Fleming, Chuck Person, Detlef Schremph and so on. i will continue to support this team. but im not going to sugarcoat this at all.

and before we everyone starts with the Granger is out threads. look at last seasons Bulls team who continued to win in spite of missing their MVP.

for all those so excited to see Larry Bird leave, well here is what you get. this is practically the same team as last year and not much better. Bird prob left because Simon is not willing to do what it takes to get this team to the next level. this team will still compete but this season is not going to be the year we upset Miami and win a Trophy.

* for all the hype Paul George had during the offseason, its prob gonna to stay HYPE and not translate to the court. Paul is timid and careless with the ball at times. he will improve but he is no where near being the X factor for this team.

* Hibbert = S-O-F-T
    your shot may not be falling Roy but that doesnt mean you can get burned on the other end last night and then sulk after everytime Duncan makes you look like his ***** there is one constant in Basketball a player can control and thats DEFENSE. Hibberts shot may not be falling but he played like as S O F T as possible last night. starting to look like Bosh out there Roy.

in fact Bird had it right.

THIS FLIPPIN TEAM IS S-O-F-T.

and that falls on Vogel. everyone loves and respects Vogel because lets face it.. anything is better than JOB and his madness. but this is a business and this style of play is getting tiresome quick.

if not for George Hill last night we get blown out by 40.

if Vogel does not right the ship soon ship him out and let Shaw take over.

plain and simple.

THIS TEAM IS S O F T (w the exception of West Hill Hansbro).

for those of you comparing former pacer glory days.. Roy Hibbert would soil himself if he faced the DAVIS BROS and Big Smooth.

When do i start facing the facts? I see a ton of opinions. Let me know so i know when to come back and reply to them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Exactly, this thread is way off base. We aren't soft, just sloppy. We actually have a pretty good defense so far, but we are shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers and poor foul shooting.
    so you disagree with Larry Birds opinion last postseaoson. sorry but im gonna defer to the Legend over your opinion. i have not seen anything that would change his mind and that goes double for me.

Oh, so, what, they were supposed to be BETTER than #1 in most of those categories? They've defensively dominated inferior teams, which destroys this foolish notion of the team being "soft". If they could score points, they'd have blown out all 3 teams, and had a chance against SA.

Whatever.
    just saying.. we have not beaten any team thats even considered a potential playoff squad. and considering half the teams in each conference makes the playoffs there is plenty of reason for concern.

we got bailed out in the toronto game by some fortunate shots by Hill
    the Bobkitties beat us
    it took double overtime to win vs Sacrapmento
    and if not for Hill we get blown out by 40 vs SA. (we had a chance??? LMAO).. whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    When do i start facing the facts? I see a ton of opinions. Let me know so i know when to come back and reply to them.
    when your bright enough to comprehend them. i wont hold my breath.

some of you need to go back and watch our max contract player get schooled by a guy way past his prime in duncan. fine Hibbert is not getting the ball on the offensive end. but to SUCK like he did on defense and not show any fight is BS.

spin it anyway you want .. Hibber played SOFTER than a babys bottom the other night.

if thats acceptable to you all then your on the wrong thread. please go back and watch Duncan make Hibbert look like a D League center monday night.. but hey everything is great!!! woohoo!

Mood

so you disagree with Larry Birds opinion last postseaoson. sorry but im gonna defer to the Legend over your opinion. i have not seen anything that would change his mind and that goes double for me.

just saying.. we have not beaten any team thats even considered a potential playoff squad. and considering half the teams in each conference makes the playoffs there is plenty of reason for concern.

we got bailed out in the toronto game by some fortunate shots by Hill
    the Bobkitties beat us
    it took double overtime to win vs Sacrapmento
    and if not for Hill we get blown out by 40 vs SA. (we had a chance??? LMAO).. whatever.

when your bright enough to comprehend them. i wont hold my breath.

some of you need to go back and watch our max contract player get schooled by a guy way past his prime in duncan. fine Hibbert is not getting the ball on the offensive end. but to SUCK like he did on defense and not show any fight is BS.

spin it anyway you want .. Hibber played SOFTER than a babys bottom the other night.

if thats acceptable to you all then your on the wrong thread. please go back and watch Duncan make Hibbert look like a D League center monday night.. but hey everything is great!!! woohoo!
    Funny, the guy with atrocious spelling and grammar mocking someone else's intelligence.

My comment about "having a chance" against SA was after I wrote "If they could score". Work on your reading comprehension, or be less of an ***. Up to you.

Oh, and you weren't "just sayin" there was "plenty of reason for concern." You were attempting, unsuccessfully, to argue that toughness was this teams main problem. Just sayin.

Undefeated

Of course, just my $.02
    Agreed. This team isn't old-school hard, but they're not any softer than most other teams. We need to complain to the refs more. Everybody else does it, but the Pacers tend not too.
    I think we also have a talent issue, in that we are not an elite talent-level team without Granger. (probably not with Granger, but close). The thing is that all our players look like the players from last year. I've only seen noticeable improvement in two players, Hans and Lance. Unfortunately we need improvement most from Hibbert and George, and that hasn't happened so far.
    Last edited by Rogco; 11-07-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Danger Zone