Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells: Pacers reach out to Mickael Pietrus

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wells: Pacers reach out to Mickael Pietrus

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you guys think there is any chance the FO is planning on moving Roy when they can (January 15th) ala' Nene last season?

It just seems like the team will struggle to grow with that contract, period. I personally think Roy will figure it out, but the inactivity thus far makes me wonder if there is a plan in place, and they are just waiting on the right moment.

No way they accept going from a #3 seed to a lottery team, if that's what happens. At least, I hope there's no way.
    No, I seriously doubt it. I think that Donnie is too loyal and too patient to do something like that. Even if he did, what do you get in return?

I think signing Pietrus, Michael Redd, or even Gary Forbes might be the best way to go in the meantime and just play this season out. It's still possible that they can stay in the middle of the pack if they can pick up a player that can knock down open jumpers. If they do that and Danny returns in January, they could go on a run to finish the season on a roll. They need a little outside help to get by until then.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    No, I seriously doubt it. I think that Donnie is too loyal and too patient to do something like that. Even if he did, what do you get in return?

I think signing Pietrus, Michael Redd, or even Gary Forbes might be the best way to go in the meantime and just play this season out. It's still possible that they can stay in the middle of the pack if they can pick up a player that can knock down open jumpers. If they do that and Danny returns in January, they could go on a run to finish the season on a roll. They need a little outside help to get by until then.
    Yeah, I'd imagine Roy doesn't have a ton of value right now.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Pacers were apparently interested in Rashad McCants

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Update for Rashad McCants fans: McCants, who remains on radar for NBA teams thanks to his scoring ability, is bound for China with Foshan
    Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Pacers, I'm told, recently expressed some interest in Rashad McCants before former Wolves and Kings shooting guard landed deal in China
    I guess we must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if McCants is the best scorer we could come up with. He does have the alpha scorer mentality, if not necessarily alpha scorer talent. At least we didn't actually sign him - if we're talking projects, I think there are better options out there, e.g. someone like Jermaine Taylor. And oh yeah, I'm still miffed that we didn't sign Shaun Livingston - he had a pretty good game against us.

Sports Logo

What we need is to either continue to try to give Lance more consistent minutes or find a smart basketball IQ player....getting another scorer like Green won't get us there. We need guys that don't turn the frakkin ball over...make smart moves on both sides of the court and are able to minimize their mistakes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

I guess we must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if McCants is the best scorer we could come up with. He does have the alpha scorer mentality, if not necessarily alpha scorer talent. At least we didn't actually sign him - if we're talking projects, I think there are better options out there, e.g. someone like Jermaine Taylor. And oh yeah, I'm still miffed that we didn't sign Shaun Livingston - he had a pretty good game against us.
    I would be embarrassed to be linked to McCants cant get much lower than that. I would have to question the FO in a major way if Stein's source is true.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

Why we weren't hot on the trail of Livingston or a similar legit, veteran point guard for our third guard position is beyond me. What is Sudiata Gaines up to? I'd bring him back, try to start him, and move Hill to the 2. Or, worst case, give him a shot as the back up point. At least he could play D.

Cannot understand what the idea with Ben Hansbrough was. Great story and so forth, but you need a 3rd pg who you can actually go to if the situation arises. Hansbrough is unproven as an NBA talent.

Of course, giving Lance the keys as the backup pg right now would be preferable to what Agustin's giving us. He's obviously a complete bust to this point, and we didn't cover our assess by at least having another emergency option with some experience behind him. Not to mention the whole issue the Hill isn't really a point guard, which means we basically don't have a true point option period. Brilliant!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

10. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think we should wait till Dec. when our new FA's can be traded. Packaged for a good talent or something. I'll have to look into that later and see what options might be there.

Any ideas that are legit or possible that you might have?

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I think we should wait till Dec. when our new FA's can be traded. Packaged for a good talent or something. I'll have to look into that later and see what options might be there.

Any ideas that are legit or possible that you might have?
    Hou: Parsons, Morris and a draft pick
    Bos: C. lee and Bass and a draft pick
    GS: W/DJ for Landry, Jack and a draft pick
    Por: w/DJ for Hickson, Matthews and a draft pick

POR, GS, and HOU are all younger teams that would welcome a consistent veteran presence like West. He would have the same effect on these teams that he's had here.

I think West would help put BOS in a better position to be a championship threat. (could you imagine pick and pop with West on one side, KG on the other) They're loaded at the 2 and don't NEED C. Lee.

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I think we should wait till the new era the team just reached actually fails from a player perspective. We are just now starting to find out what kind of team and coach we have, and 10-11 games in we are going to punt? And to get what?

The investment in Roy and George was about "these 5 can win a ton of games, this is our now and next 3-4 years for sure". You don't bail on that after a month because bailing on that meant you are going into rebuild immediately after leaving rebuild.

Enough with chasing the next shiny object. The team is struggling but it's doing so with 4-5 guys playing at their lowest statistical output ever. How would swapping them for another guy who will then see his production drop to its lowest ever fix anything?

The grass is not greener next door, its an illusion. The talent you could trade for is going to look similar to the talent we have. No one is trading a 3pt ace that plays defense for a non-3pt ace that plays defense.

If you wanted to deal Roy, West or Hill then last April was the time to do it. But of course back then no one wanted to trade them because the team was winning...exactly the reason they had market value.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hou: Parsons, Morris and a draft pick
    Bos: C. lee and Bass and a draft pick
    GS: W/DJ for Landry, Jack and a draft pick
    Por: w/DJ for Hickson, Matthews and a draft pick

POR, GS, and HOU are all younger teams that would welcome a consistent veteran presence like West. He would have the same effect on these teams that he's had here.

I think West would help put BOS in a better position to be a championship threat. (could you imagine pick and pop with West on one side, KG on the other) They're loaded at the 2 and don't NEED C. Lee.

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head...
    I was thinking about West+ pick+ Plumlee for Big Baby(3 years 6.4 mil a year) + Redick, it depends if Orlando is looking to get rid of Big Baby's contract, the Pacers get a young power forward replacement for West and the shooter that can also move well without the ball that can also pass it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I think we should wait till the new era the team just reached actually fails from a player perspective. We are just now starting to find out what kind of team and coach we have, and 10-11 games in we are going to punt? And to get what?

The investment in Roy and George was about "these 5 can win a ton of games, this is our now and next 3-4 years for sure". You don't bail on that after a month because bailing on that meant you are going into rebuild immediately after leaving rebuild.

Enough with chasing the next shiny object. The team is struggling but it's doing so with 4-5 guys playing at their lowest statistical output ever. How would swapping them for another guy who will then see his production drop to its lowest ever fix anything?

The grass is not greener next door, its an illusion. The talent you could trade for is going to look similar to the talent we have. No one is trading a 3pt ace that plays defense for a non-3pt ace that plays defense.

If you wanted to deal Roy, West or Hill then last April was the time to do it. But of course back then no one wanted to trade them because the team was winning...exactly the reason they had market value.
    I wanted to trade Roy even before then and not pay him.(the summer of the lockout that draft night would of been the best time IMO) I have been preaching that since it was clear he as gonna get way overpaid on the market. I almost got slapped at the PD party for saying it .

Also Granger I would of shopped a long time ago. We dont have the team to compete and we cant get their with Hibbert and Granger as your best and highest paid guys.

Everyone knows my stance on Hill I hated that trade to begin with. West I would love to keep but there is no reason we wont be contenders in the next few years if you can gather assets for him I would do it.

Like I stated in my retooling thread we we should of used that method when Rasho and TJ was expiring and especially for Dunleavy. In a small market that is a really good method to gather asset while using cap space for the rebuild. We aren't gonna lure free agents we should use other teams bad contracts to our advantage in a rebuild.

We took short cuts in the rebuilding process and we will pay the price in the long run I dont see us getting out of the 1st rd with this core. (Last year doesn't count Dhoward was out)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

This team has been playing together for a while now, let's stop acting like they just build this team and coaching staff, they are almost the same people and players from last year and the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This team has been playing together for a while now, let's stop acting like they just build this team and coaching staff, they are almost the same people and players from last year and the year before.
    Out of the 10 players the Pacers play in their rotation, 4 of them played last year. That's over half your roster has being either 100% brand new, or being asked to play meaningful minutes for the very first time.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    lol. Just minus Danny Granger, their leading scorer and arguably their best player. But yeah you're right, they're almost the same people from years before...

And as Since86 pointed out, the completely revamped bench. But again, lets get in your world where somehow that makes them almost the exact same team from the past TWO years...
    Last edited by bunt; 11-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Out of the 10 players the Pacers play in their rotation, 5 of them played last year. That's half your roster has being either 100% brand new, or being asked to play meaningful minutes for the very first time.
    Fixed

Hibbert, West, George, Hill, Hansbrough = 5
    Mahimni, Young, Stephenson, Green, Augustin = 5

Pacers have 8 players that returned and added 7 new players.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I forgot about Tyler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Out of the 10 players the Pacers play in their rotation, 4 of them played last year. That's over half your roster has being either 100% brand new, or being asked to play meaningful minutes for the very first time.
    They still have 8 players from last year back and 4 of them are starters is not like they have a brand new roaster and coaching staff either.

edit: I also know you like to argue semantics but I don't feel like doing it today either.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.

When you have to include Pendergraph into your point to show how the team has continuity, then you should stop and actually think about what you're saying.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

I know I'm going to get killed for this one but I would love to see the Pacers go after Al Harrington; "bring back baby Al!"I read George Karl hated to lose him because he was such a good leader in the lockeroom. I know he has a huge contract and he still has about two or three years left on it, but he's a guy that can play the 3&4,which we need, and he is a guy that can knock down his open shots. He is also a veteran who's logged a lot of playoff minutes.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I would be embarrassed to be linked to McCants cant get much lower than that. I would have to question the FO in a major way if Stein's source is true.
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the specifics, but I know I recall associating his name with "red flag(s)".

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Why we weren't hot on the trail of Livingston or a similar legit, veteran point guard for our third guard position is beyond me. What is Sudiata Gaines up to? I'd bring him back, try to start him, and move Hill to the 2. Or, worst case, give him a shot as the back up point. At least he could play D.

Cannot understand what the idea with Ben Hansbrough was. Great story and so forth, but you need a 3rd pg who you can actually go to if the situation arises. Hansbrough is unproven as an NBA talent.

Of course, giving Lance the keys as the backup pg right now would be preferable to what Agustin's giving us. He's obviously a complete bust to this point, and we didn't cover our assess by at least having another emergency option with some experience behind him. Not to mention the whole issue the Hill isn't really a point guard, which means we basically don't have a true point option period. Brilliant!
    If the state of your 3rd PG is the story of your team, you're probably having a rough start to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the specifics, but I know I recall associating his name with "red flag(s)".
    The biggest red flag is that he can't play.

This has to be a fib from his agent. He's barely good enough for the D-League. p4e is right. If true we should really be concerned about our front office.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    The biggest red flag is that he can't play.

This has to be a fib from his agent. He's barely good enough for the D-League. p4e is right. If true we should really be concerned about our front office.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I wanted to trade Roy even before then and not pay him.(the summer of the lockout that draft night would of been the best time IMO) I have been preaching that since it was clear he as gonna get way overpaid on the market. I almost got slapped at the PD party for saying it .

Also Granger I would of shopped a long time ago. We dont have the team to compete and we cant get their with Hibbert and Granger as your best and highest paid guys.

Everyone knows my stance on Hill I hated that trade to begin with. West I would love to keep but there is no reason we wont be contenders in the next few years if you can gather assets for him I would do it.

Like I stated in my retooling thread we we should of used that method when Rasho and TJ was expiring and especially for Dunleavy. In a small market that is a really good method to gather asset while using cap space for the rebuild. We aren't gonna lure free agents we should use other teams bad contracts to our advantage in a rebuild.

We took short cuts in the rebuilding process and we will pay the price in the long run I dont see us getting out of the 1st rd with this core. (Last year doesn't count Dhoward was out)
    I'm 50/50 on your strategy, which on paper makes the most sense.

The flip side to your strategy is that, as a small market team, you have to do things that promote morale and make your location as attractive as possible in case there are any David Wests out there that don't need to be in a big market when thinking about where to sign. You can't just make a bunch of moves where players are treated like commodities and are constantly flipped for peak value.

In other words, having the reputation of not caring about your players can affect players' performances, and in addition to that, you basically rid yourself of any chance to sign David Wests. We can no longer be the highest sole bidder on a free agent due to the new CBA, so we'd have to win a free agent with intangibles. It is a profession but players are human and have feelings.

And as much as I also disagree with it, that is why we 100% had to sign Roy after last season's trade deadline passed. And it's also why I'm fully disappointed in Roy for putting us in a position to sign him to a deal he didn't deserve while taking a toll on our flexibility.

Well apparently Walsh was interested in McCants for the 2005 draft but instead we wound up with a certain small-forward.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin