Thread: I Need Something Explained

Default I Need Something Explained

If John Edwards cannot get off the bench during these shorthanded times at all or only in the last secs of a certain loss then why is he on the team?

POINT A: I'd rather have a guy 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7... who could play some if needed than a 7'er who will not be played. Or else just go ahead and save the money and not even have the 'last' player on the roster.

POINT B: I was under the impression he made the final cut by the fact we'd lost Foster, and Harrison had a sore shoulder and wasn't conditioned and so he made it because he's a 7'er. ....But then see POINT A.

I just don't get it. Someone please show me the light.

-Bball

Default Re: I Need Something Explained

They said the guy has potential. He may not be ready now, but he is basically like any high school player. Hopefully, in 3-4 years, he might be good, or he might be like Bender. Gotta remember, the guy didn't start playing basketball until his junior year of high school. Give Space Jam a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They said the guy has potential. He may not be ready now, but he is basically like any high school player. Hopefully, in 3-4 years, he might be good, or he might be like Bender. Gotta remember, the guy didn't start playing basketball until his junior year of high school. Give Space Jam a chance.
    BUT... I thought conventional wisdom, further fueld by Walsh's half hearted endorsement, was that he was only in the NBA and on the Pacers as an inurance policy. IOW, circumstances lined up for him to make the team. But this goes out the window if he won't be played AT ALL in depleted situations like this.

What was it Walsh said?: "I think Edwards can eventually make it to an NBA roster... Well, he is there as of now" I remember it being something like that. Not a ringing endorsement of a guy they plan on keeping for his upside.

-Bball

There is no answer to this. The only thing I can point to is that in 18 years Walsh always has one of these stored around here somewhere. It's just we've never actually needed one of them to produce before.

Edwards is horrid. Randy Holcomb, Gary Trent, anybody would have been more usefull.

We had 15 players before the fight. We've since picked up Johnsen and Fowlkes. If nothing changes, someone will have to be released when Jackson gets back. I think it will be between Edwards and Fowlkes, probably Fowlkes. If Artest comes back then it will be between the remaining 2, maybe Edwards will go then.

I think the Pacers picked up a couple warm, cheap, bodies that were available to play when called, nothing more. We have plently of players that can play, and they will soon start coming back.

I think the biggest think John Edwards has going for him now is that he is on the roster and the Pacers don't like moving players like trading cards.

Foster, Reggie and AJ will be back soon and make the bench a whole lot better. I'd imagine, at least for a few minutes each game, we'll see Foster and Harrison playing at the same time.

Maybe I am dense, but outside of Peck's answer (Because we always have a 7' guy riding the pine that will never get off the bench), none of your answers make sense (unless conventional wisdom was wrong and the Pacers see Edwards as a long term project with a tremendous upside).

We are playing two players that we picked up from basketball Siberia and gave them gametime ahead of Edwards. We had players that were better than Edwards at everything except being 7' tall and let them go. And as Peck said, Gary Trent is sitting by the telephone.

-Bball

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Maybe I am dense, but outside of Peck's answer (Because we always have a 7' guy riding the pine that will never get off the bench), none of your answers make sense (unless conventional wisdom was wrong and the Pacers see Edwards as a long term project with a tremendous upside).

We are playing two players that we picked up from basketball Siberia and gave them gametime ahead of Edwards. We had players that were better than Edwards at everything except being 7' tall and let them go. And as Peck said, Gary Trent is sitting by the telephone.

-Bball
    Gotta have a 7 footer with a big body to practice against. HE may have some upside...but his first yeat Peanut Butter (Llama??) showed more potential that Edwards

yea i think geezer has got it, he is training fodder. dont want to throw any of our other big men up against harrison in case they get injured

You guys picked up Termaine Fowlkes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I don't know how the Pacers feel about John Edwards now, but they would not have kept him, if they didn't think he was a long term project with good upside. I doubt they ever thought he had "tremendous upside"; that description is only used for players like Darko Milicic and Jon Bender. LOL.

Real question now is whether after looking at him for several months, if they still think he has good upside. I doubt he has a guaranteed contract yet - if he gets one, I guess we'll get the answer about how the brass feel.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    You guys picked up Termaine Fowlkes?
    Unfortunately, yes. And he's just been brutally bad at both ends of the court.

He has no clue how to defend a pick and roll, and I don't think he's even hit the rim yet on any shot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

When we got the two extra players, why wasn't one of them Holcomb?

With respect to Edwards, I think we got caught trying to develop a player when we may have actually needed one. It was probably the decision that Edwards had the most upside of the training camp players, but he was nowhere near ready. The coaching staff probably had no idea that we would become so shorthanded so quickly, so it was a chance they were willing to take on the 15th man on the roster. Their decision backfired due to the injuries/suspensions. Unless he has looked brutal in practice, I think they will go ahead and pick up the remaining portion of his contract when the decision becomes necessary for the same reason why we kept him initially.

As to why we didn't pick up holcomb, it was reported in the Star that he has a contract in Europe and is unavailable.

It's also probably not fair to judge Fowlkes and Johnsen until they have at least a couple of weeks of practice and game time with the team.

I have noticed how bad Folwkes is. Johnsen isn't too bad, and he gets some PT, but damn, Fowlkes is pretty much on the end of the bench with Edwards.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    When we got the two extra players, why wasn't one of them Holcomb?
    Holcomb had already signed to a European team when the roster trouble sprang up. He's my cantidate for this year's "one that got away."

The only real reason teams have as many as 15 players is for practice. How many times has a coach made you and 4 other guys stand around in a certain formation on the floor just so another 5 guys on your team can try to make a shot? Setting up a defense or offense based on an upcoming opponent's likely strategy is the reason we keep guys around. Nobody could have guessed that these guys would actually have an opportunity to play.

However, the practice angle only goes so far. Yeah, Edwards is tall - but he's easy to score on. Maybe scoring on him builds a little confidence, but I don't see how playing against him can actually make someone a better player.

Maybe they wanted someone who was bad enough that they knew their spot was on the IR causing no chemistry problems.

Maybe they wanted a big guy for Harrison to practice against.

Or maybe he was the best at picking up lugagge as that is what most 15th man rookies do on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Holcomb had already signed to a European team when the roster trouble sprang up. He's my cantidate for this year's "one that got away."

The only real reason teams have as many as 15 players is for practice. How many times has a coach made you and 4 other guys stand around in a certain formation on the floor just so another 5 guys on your team can try to make a shot? Setting up a defense or offense based on an upcoming opponent's likely strategy is the reason we keep guys around. Nobody could have guessed that these guys would actually have an opportunity to play.

However, the practice angle only goes so far. Yeah, Edwards is tall - but he's easy to score on. Maybe scoring on him builds a little confidence, but I don't see how playing against him can actually make someone a better player.
    The Star reported that one of the players (Wright or Farmer) had already signed a foreign contract and that Holcomb 'had a foreign contract "pending"'.

-Bball