Thread: Do you like Arians balls to the wall approach?

Default Do you like Arians balls to the wall approach?

I was never pleased with Caldwell and his play it close to the vest everytime approach, but holy crap I'm not sure about Arians and his balls to the wall approach either. Having Vinatieri try that 54 yarder with around three minutes still left in the half had me really puzzled. Simply Adam is no longer the player he was and I thought that was evident last year.

I guess if Arians is really trying to show the team how much faith he has then so be it, but the closer the Colts actually have a shot at the playoffs I hope a dose of reality sets in.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Default Re: Do you like Arians balls to the wall approach?

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was never pleased with Caldwell and his play it close to the vest everytime approach, but holy crap I'm not sure about Arians and his balls to the wall approach either. Having Vinatieri try that 54 yarder with around three minutes still left in the half had me really puzzled. Simply Adam is no longer the player he was and I thought that was evident last year.

I guess if Arians is really trying to show the team how much faith he has then so be it, but the closer the Colts actually have a shot at the playoffs I hope a dose of reality sets in.
    Not sure what your talking about. We are obviously conservative at times.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Caldwell is a good assistant coach, but not a good HC. He had 2 good years because he had Peyton
    Smothered Chicken!

Arians is every bit as conservative as Caldwell. He has very little creativity, and is slow to adapt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arians is a better coach than Caldwell IMO, but not by much. I thought the play calling on our second to last drive was very conservative and questionable.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I guess I'm mistaken, but after seeing Adam V being so shakey this year on his kicks and in this game miss the one from 47 and then for the coach to expect him to hit from 54 just seemed way to risky to me. We were able to stop them but damn the Dolphins have some really good field position at that point with about three minutes left and a 17 -10 lead. A score there especially a TD and the game would have changed dramatically.

Kind of like Arians going for it during the Packers game at 4th and one at the Packers 44. I wouldn't call him exactly conservative maybe he just goes nuts sometimes.
    Last edited by RWB; 11-05-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I like Arians. Some long shots, not running on that 3rd down on the second to last drive (even though it was almost an INT)...I love it.
    DG for 3

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    I like Arians. Some long shots, not running on that 3rd down on the second to last drive (even though it was almost an INT)...I love it.
    But why not throw on first or second down too if you were going to throw on third down anyway?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    But why not throw on first or second down too if you were going to throw on third down anyway?
    I look at it as a half ballsy approach. Run on first and second down to drain the clock/make them use a couple of timeouts...then throw it. So it is conservative on the first couple plays and then balls out. But I totally understand what you're saying.
    DG for 3

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I think it is the right approach with this team. When your opponent has more talent that you do and you know you will lose most of the time if you just play down the middle, you take risks and hope they work out. A good example of this was the onside kick by NO in the Super Bowl. I thought that play, more than anything else that happened won that game for NO. That and Freeney being injured... ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

I'd call Arians not super conservative, but more conservative than most coaches at the present time. He has gone for it a couple of times on 4th down (the Packers game, and then the call in the Tennessee game was a pretty obvious situation to go for it) and then he had creativity by sending out the offense in the Browns game in a non-standard spot to draw them offsides. So he's had times where he's been willing to be aggressive.

Overall though, I'd argue his conservative nature wins out. The worst game for this was the Jets game. The Colts punted on 4th and 1 from the Jets 40. They kicked a field goal from 4th and 1 on the Jets 2. They punted on 4th and 3 from the Jets 48 down 2 scores in the 2nd half. The math that the aggressive coaches follow would say that all of those are poor moves to make. They kicked another field goal from the 2 yard line in the Titans game. He chose to kick a field goal on 4th and 1 from the 25 in the Miami game.

Arians has definitely gone through struggles in the game awareness department in other areas as well. Throwing the challenge flag on a TD in the GB game which became the 15 yard penalty. Waiting to call a timeout in the Cleveland game until there was only 1 second left which meant it had no upside for the Colts. The terrible challenge in the Miami game. I don't think he is the worst coach in the world, but I don't think at least right now that he's particularly good at making the decisions a head coach needs to make during a game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll say the past few weeks have been fun to watch. Very close games, edge of your seat entertainment. He's doing alright for now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I think it is the right approach with this team. When your opponent has more talent that you do and you know you will lose most of the time if you just play down the middle, you take risks and hope they work out. A good example of this was the onside kick by NO in the Super Bowl. I thought that play, more than anything else that happened won that game for NO. That and Freeney being injured... ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
    Ever wonder why you get the SHIFT+R message in your posts?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

What I can agree on is Vinatieri has lost some mojo, even going back to last year. He misses some now that should be chip shots by average kicker standards.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think ChicagoJ had commented on it at one point and something that I noticed that drives me nuts is emptying out the backfield on 3rd down situations. At least put up the illusion that you may run the ball and keep the defense honest. Obvious passing play is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I think ChicagoJ had commented on it at one point and something that I noticed that drives me nuts is emptying out the backfield on 3rd down situations. At least put up the illusion that you may run the ball and keep the defense honest. Obvious passing play is obvious.
    IT forces the one on one match up on atleast one position which is why you do it. Easy read even if there is a blitz coming.