Thread: Solving the puzzle of Danny's knee

Default Solving the puzzle of Danny's knee

From Pacers.com:

As the Pacers open the regular season Wednesday in Toronto, they'll be without Danny Granger, who is out indefinitely with continued soreness in his knee.

"He's going to see some other doctors, get some other opinions and then we'll decide a course from there," Coach Vogel said after practice Tuesday.

A tendon in his left knee has bothered Granger dating back to the Miami playoff series last May. The pain mostly subsided and he thought it would be fine until he tweaked it again during summer workouts.

Granger was held out of the first five preseason games and finally saw the court for the final two games, though his minutes were restricted to 12 and 22, respectively. While on the floor, he never looked himself. Instead, he was timid and hesitated on every move. When he was open for a three, he hesitated and didn't bend his knee much on the release. There was also one particular play at Notre Dame against the Bulls, where Granger saw an opening and drove it in, only to throw it up quickly rather than powering up off his leg.

Last week after practice, Granger explained that he's fighting a different type of soreness, where he "has to stress through it and break up some of the scar tissue." He said the injury has been tough on him, as he had to fight through his own limitations. Most of all, he couldn't jump off his left leg.
    From Monteith:

Granger, the Pacers' leading scorer the past five seasons, played the final two preseason games and appeared to be ready to start in Wednesday's season-opener, but was declared out indefinitely on Tuesday after experiencing more pain in his knee during Monday's practice. He has received one "second" opinion and is due for more feedback before a decision is made. At this point it appears the possibilities range from a short recovery period to surgery.
    From LeCornrows:

Granger's return remains uncertain, but with the team on the road and the training staff still at least a day away from gathering all the info on the knee's status and deciding the next course of action, it doesn't seem like Granger will be back in the near term.
    Can anybody give a decent explanation of what's going on here? Surely it's not just "break up some scar tissue" any more, or it wouldn't cause this delay. Right?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Solving the puzzle of Danny's knee

It sounds lik patella tendnitis, which would flare up and then subside. It also sounds like he has some scar tissue built up from prior scopes. Patella tendinitis is not the easiest injury to treat because it frequently subsides , then starts hurting again for no apparent reason. The good thing is its not a ligament issue Lateral/Medial collateral ligament in the knee

Should know more in the next week
    Sittin on top of the world!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anybody give a decent explanation of what's going on here? Surely it's not just "break up some scar tissue" any more, or it wouldn't cause this delay. Right?
    There's no reason to believe the Pacers perspective on the injury has changed. They think the best course of action is to play through the pain. But the team can't force Danny to take that approach.

It seems like Danny is uncomfortable with how the knee feels and how long it's taking to heal. So he wants second opinions. That's perfectly reasonable. And if all those opinions align with the Pacers view then I'm sure Danny will be back soon.

But the thing is, Danny obviously isn't comfortable with the idea of playing through the pain. So if he finds a doctor that wants to scope it, I can see him taking that option. That's why I'm hoping he's getting several "second" opinions. And I'm hoping that the majority of those opinions agree with the Pacers doctors.

But regardless, I think it'll be a while before he's 100%.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    There's no reason to believe the Pacers perspective on the injury has changed. They think the best course of action is to play through the pain. But the team can't force Danny to take that approach.

It seems like Danny is uncomfortable with how the knee feels and how long it's taking to heal. So he wants second opinions. That's perfectly reasonable. And if all those opinions align with the Pacers view then I'm sure Danny will be back soon.

But the thing is, Danny obviously isn't comfortable with the idea of playing through the pain. So if he finds a doctor that wants to scope it, I can see him taking that option. That's why I'm hoping he's getting several "second" opinions. And I'm hoping that the majority of those opinions agree with the Pacers doctors.

But regardless, I think it'll be a while before he's 100%.
    He's also a new father as of this offseason. My guess is he wants to make sure he'll be able to walk without pain after he hangs up the sneakers.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    He's also a new father as of this offseason. My guess is he wants to make sure he'll be able to walk without pain after he hangs up the sneakers.
    Did you think I was being critical of Danny? I wasn't.

I wasn't, I just adding a another possible factor.

This "slow start" for the team is starting to mess with our heads man...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I was under the impression that a decision would be made today on Danny's knee, per interviews with Vogel before yesterday's game. I think we'll know more pretty shortly.

The weird thing is this happened 2-3 preseasons ago. Then I feared that he'd be out for an extended period of time, but nothing came of it. I thought I started a thread about it then but couldn't find it via search.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    It sounds lik patella tendnitis, which would flare up and then subside. It also sounds like he has some scar tissue built up from prior scopes. Patella tendinitis is not the easiest injury to treat because it frequently subsides , then starts hurting again for no apparent reason. The good thing is its not a ligament issue Lateral/Medial collateral ligament in the knee

Should know more in the next week
    That sounds like plantar fasciitis I get that in my feet sometimes I wake up and can't walk

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

Banned

It looks to me like the doctor told him that he needs surgery and he went to get the second opinion, the same thing is happening to EJ, the same thing happened to Tmac, Dunleavy and other players, players usually get a second opinion when they don't want to go through surgery.

Surgery isn't always a long-term thing though. It could be a knee scope. Could have been rest the knee for a while and then test it out and see if you can go. If he can't, then go in there to cut out the scar tissue and be out at least 2-3 weeks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    Surgery isn't always a long-term thing though. It could be a knee scope. Could have been rest the knee for a while and then test it out and see if you can go. If he can't, then go in there to cut out the scar tissue and be out at least 2-3 weeks.
    True.

Why am I waiting to hear that he already had surgery?

The silence is getting to be deafening.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Must be some busy knee doctors or something...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

The longer this goes on, the worse I imagine the news to be.

Honestly, if it wasn't really bad (defined as out for longer than 6-8 weeks) you'd think information would have come out. He sure didn't look good Saturday night, wasn't enthusiastic or upbeat at all. Obviously that doesn't mean much, but it certainly isn't a great thing to see.

I was really hoping it would be something like a strain and he'd be out for 2-4 weeks. At this point, I'm wondering if they're gonna announce he'll be out until the AS Break or worse.

I saw Danny out downtown this weekend after the home opener. I asked him when he expects to be back and he said around 1 month. He didn't really have any details beyond that. He did seem to be in pretty good spirits though.

According to all the charts I've seen, the problem is water on the knee, not scar tissue.

Count me among the very worried.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post: