Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss Lance

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's discuss Lance

Yeah, Lance is finally doing something. Good, the team needs it.

Amazing what some players can accomplish when they want another contract.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure they gave them the timeout directly off of the rebound. If they had advanced the ball with a dribble, then they wouldn't have moved the ball into the frontcourt for the inbounds.

It was a bang-bang play, but I do wish Frank would have allowed them to run the fast break and see what happens. The worst possible outcome would have been better than West hoisting up a 3.
    I just re-watched it, you're right.

However, it was David that called the TO, not Frank. From the replay, it sure looks like Frank was gonna let it go, and David ran up and got the TO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think Lance compliments whoever he's on the court with. He's our best passer. He feeds the post really well.
    I think Lance is our best passer and ball handler. With his improved jumpshot (and confidence) he is a good complementary 2-Guard to start next to George Hill.

I really hope Frank tries to catch lighting in a bottle with Lance. We forget that Lance is only 22 years old (4 years younger than our rookie C) and brings a unique skill-set/attacking mind set that we don't currently have on this team.

Yes I know these are the only three games where he's played so well in a meaningful NBA game, but confidence has a way of changing a player. If he continues to get minutes, and chances, he could be a key contributor to this team this year, as well as years down the line. But with DG out and it being early on in the season, why not push the envelope a bit and see what it is we have in Lance. Even if it is just a 6th/7th man off the bench type of player.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think Lance is our best passer and ball handler. With his improved jumpshot (and confidence) he is a good complementary 2-Guard to start next to George Hill.

I really hope Frank tries to catch lighting in a bottle with Lance. We forget that Lance is only 22 years old (4 years younger than our rookie C) and brings a unique skill-set/attacking mind set that we don't currently have on this team.

Yes I know these are the only three games where he's played so well in a meaningful NBA game, but confidence has a way of changing a player. If he continues to get minutes, and chances, he could be a key contributor to this team this year, as well as years down the line. But with DG out and it being early on in the season, why not push the envelope a bit and see what it is we have in Lance. Even if it is just a 6th/7th man off the bench type of player.
    Damn you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Lance would work better with our starting unit over the course of whatever time we are without Granger. I think he would be able to fix some of the things he makes errors on while working with the veterans during game play. Those errors would also be masked more by playing alongside four better players, IMO. I think he would really take on a lot of their teachings by actually playing through them. Whoever starts though MUST defend the position well. That is our number one need from our fifth starter at this point. We need someone who can score in more limited touches as a secondary option and I don't think anyone fits that bill better than Stephenson (assuming solid D).

As for the second unit, I would be getting PG and GG a lot of minutes with Augustin and would be back cutting the **** out of teams in the half court. Pressing hard for transition opportunities with those three. I like Ian and Hansborough with that unit to really push the tempo more than they have at this point in the season. I think we need to see more transition offense leading to more easy opportunities AND DUNKS! Dunks are momentum changers and that second unit should give us plenty. I would aim for that second unit to be what drives our rotations early in the season.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

I like him with either unit but especially with the starters. Lance being able to handle the ball confidently takes pressure off Hill so he doesn't always have to initiate the offense, allowing him to be more of a scorer. It's also nice having him in there with D. West because he'll quickly call Lance out if Lance starts going rogue.

i have liked almost everything i have seen from him this season so far. i like the all around effort and it really seems to look like he has figured things out instead of always looking lost.
    he definitely has the skills and ability to be a good player in this league if he continues to make improvements.
    nice to see a project player actually show signs of panning out instead of just falling apart for a change.

Short leash tonight.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Tyler too. And Tippecanoe.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Short leash tonight.
    Yeah, that wasn't cool. The guy plays 3 solid games straight, even finishing games with the starters, then he's rewarded with a few meaningful minutes the next game. That's a good way to kill a young players confidence. Thanks coach.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

I was really baffled by that last night.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tfarks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Yeah, that wasn't cool. The guy plays 3 solid games straight, even finishing games with the starters, then he's rewarded with a few meaningful minutes the next game. That's a good way to kill a young players confidence. Thanks coach.
    That was awful. I really hope he got hurt or something because pulling Lance for the whole game after a rough start makes 0 sense. He's a third year player, let him play.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

OR it could be holding him out of a game that was spiraling down the toilet and therefore NOT having him crumble and lose confidence.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I know right. Plus, how did that turn out for Vogel by not playing Lance. Ooops, still lost by a wide margin. Should have let him play.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm left to conclude Lance must have done something to pi$$ off the coaches. Weird that they never let him back in the game while there was a still a slight chance.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm left to conclude Lance must have done something to pi$$ off the coaches. Weird that they never let him back in the game while there was a still a slight chance.
    He made two back to back mistakes, he went to the bench because of it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    You okay with that, or think the leash should be longer?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

You okay with that, or think the leash should be longer?
    I'm fine with that, I wish he did that to everybody else though.

I'm fine with that, I wish he did that to everybody else though.
    Roy and Paul seem to have the longest leashes on the team. I actually think that they should have a shorter leash in order to snap their concentration back into place.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    OR it could be holding him out of a game that was spiraling down the toilet and therefore NOT having him crumble and lose confidence.
    I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's a possibility, but I doubt Lance would see it that way if that was the case.

This sounds like the most likely scenario. I hope it's wrong, though.

I don't mind him getting pulled for mistakes, but that doesn't explain why he didn't play in the second half. If he can't get consistent minutes when he's played well and when Danny's out the lineup then he doesn't have a chance on this team.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 11-06-2012 at 07:11 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Lance is clearly better than Green. I could care less how many points Green scored on a losing team for half a season. Much more to basketball than scoring points. Born Ready is a beast, and Vogel must unleash
    David "And One" West

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Tyler too. And Tippecanoe.
    C'mon. where's indygeezer when I need him?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

and what was the reason why he came on to play so late? He was like the last sub to get on at the begining of the second QT.

Wouldn't this be a really good time to fire test Lance and Hans? They are in their last year of their rookie contracts. They have shown flashes of being a good fit for this teams way of playing. We have a lot of new faces that we are going to have for 4 years or more, shouldn't we find out sooner rather than later if these 2 are part of our future? I would like to see Frank give these 2 players some steady, meaningful minutes the first 10-20 games and then, if they don't have a future here, bring Plums and OJ/Young to the forefront and start the process of trading, cutting or showing the wardrobe of Lance and Tyler. There comes a time to "fish or cut bait" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    C'mon. where's indygeezer when I need him?
    I'm no geezer (yet), but I did appreciate the witticism.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel