Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss Lance

Default Re: Let's discuss Lance

Mark Montieth article about Lance after tonights game.
    link

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Lance, I'm giving you some lengthy rope. Don't hang yourself with it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Small sample size and all, but I'm also in favor of starting Lance alongside the 2 Georges. He does fit the starters better, and I guess we'll just have to live with his learning curve.

And wow, its looking like we'll finally have a project player amounting to something. Jamison Brewer, Orien Greene, Rawle Marshall, Stephen Graham and probably tons more that I can't remember. We can finally exorcise those ghosts

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So far, I have been pleasantly surprised.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Lance is very scary in the open court. The way he can explode after a rebound is quite entertaining to watch. Look at the size of the steps he takes, he is like a bull rushing the goal. I would like to see him running the break quite a bit more with his passing and finishing ability.

I think he would of won the game last night if vogel would not have called that timeout. He had three seconds I think and was already at half court.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he would of won the game last night if vogel would not have called that timeout. He had three seconds I think and was already at half court.
    I thought the same.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

It would have been a better chance than David West for 3.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Lance's energy changed the game last night in the 2nd. Even though he missed a couple layups, the pressure he put on the D allowed our guys easy offensive rebounds. He wasn't perfect, but I don't think anybody played harder than Lance night. He earned those xtra minutes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Small sample size and all, but I'm also in favor of starting Lance alongside the 2 Georges. He does fit the starters better, and I guess we'll just have to live with his learning curve.

And wow, its looking like we'll finally have a project player amounting to something. Jamison Brewer, Orien Greene, Rawle Marshall, Stephen Graham and probably tons more that I can't remember. We can finally exorcise those ghosts
    my personal favorite, Kenny Williams. I thought that dude would be great. Shows what I know.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    . . . I think he would of won the game last night if vogel would not have called that timeout. He had three seconds I think and was already at half court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I thought the same.
    I'm guessing here, but Frank will agree. I understand why he called the timeout, but it is too bad because Lance was guided missile when it was called.

I admit, I was one of the ones who was really against Lance a couple years ago. Although it's still early, I am really impressed by his improved confidence, game and maturity so far.

Here's one thing I'd like thoughts on.

I like Lance coming off the bench since it seems to me that Lance and Hans have a nice 2 man game going. I think Lance has been one of the factors leading to Tyler's improved play. As Peck said in his Odd Thoughts: "Why is it that Tyler is the one player this season who has not disappointed me? I think it’s because I had such low expectations of him that if he comes into the game and doesn’t proceed to throw his own defecation at his team mates I am happy with him."

I think it's Lance. Watching the last 2 games, while Lance is not shooting great he's getting to the rim and drawing defenders leaving Hans open to get the offensive board and score. It's also letting Tyler play closer to the basket and get the pass in the low post. I've only seen Tyler shoot a couple outside jumpers so far all year (thank goodness).

Anyone else feel that Lance and Tyler complement each other?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think Lance compliments whoever he's on the court with. He's our best passer. He feeds the post really well.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    . . . Anyone else feel that Lance and Tyler complement each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think Lance compliments whoever he's on the court with. He's our best passer. He feeds the post really well.
    Tyler has soft hands. Makes it easier to catch an imperfect pass and does a nice job of tipping the ball in near the rim. He does work well with Lance.

So do Paul and Hill. so maybe McKey Fan is right. Boy do I hope Lance continues to play well. He really does complement the other starters with his ball handling.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry, but a timeout with less than 5 seconds left as a team is sprinting up court doesn't make sense, at least not with this team.

What's better: Lance/George/Paul running a semi-fastbreak, or trying to inbounds/get a shot from half-court with 3 seconds left? Lance had momentum and could have gotten to the basket, at least giving the team a chance. I don't think a person in the fieldhouse last night thought they were gonna score out of that TO.

Lance has been under-control so much, it's been a really impressive start to the season for a guy that hasn't shown anything in his young career. I'm really happy for him, I hope he can become a sort of "X" factor, a guy that brings energy and effort off the bench to the backcourt. He's the sparkplug for the guards, Tyler for the bigs. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I'm sorry, but a timeout with less than 5 seconds left as a team is sprinting up court doesn't make sense, at least not with this team. . .
    I believe the timeout was called as soon as the Pacers got control of the ball. Not as the team was sprinting up the court. Calling the quick timeout allows the Pacers to advance the ball to the frontcourt. 3.6 seconds is normally plenty of time to get off a decent shot for any NBA team. Calling the quick timeout with less than 5 seconds is the right thing to do. It just didn't work out.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Add me to the list that agree with you. I also think DJA has the same knack with Tyler. I really like the idean of DJ and Lance in the back court together. I think Lance can defend either guard position of most team's 2nd unit.

Now it's time 2K recognized Lance's improvements. Being rated a 59 is embarrassing! C'mon, he's more like a 69 like they have OJ (who hasn't even played a game).
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Now it's time 2K recognized Lance's improvements. Being rated a 59 is embarrassing! C'mon, he's more like a 69 like they have OJ (who hasn't even played a game).
    for my team his cost is now 1,200k up from 500 I debated selling him but I'll hang on to him and hope he gets even better

My Team is no fun now every game the opponents have 6 or 7 all stars wish their was a salary cap of like 350 VC even that is high. 3 stars and a silver is more than a super team. If I was in charge it would be 250. Maybe next year their could be a system where you can choose between having 2 golds and then all bronze or have 5 silvers or something like that. The way it is now isnt much fun.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

Vogel needs to give Lance the green light! Lance is very good in the open court naturally. Lance is building confidence with these past two games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    I believe the timeout was called as soon as the Pacers got control of the ball. Not as the team was sprinting up the court. Calling the quick timeout allows the Pacers to advance the ball to the frontcourt. 3.6 seconds is normally plenty of time to get off a decent shot for any NBA team. Calling the quick timeout with less than 5 seconds is the right thing to do. It just didn't work out.
    No, they actually advanced the ball up-court, at least that's what I thought. Got the rebound, ran it up court, got the timeout.

I wish there were some statistics, but it sure seems it would make more sense to let guys make a play, rather than stopping momentum and trying to get a jumper out of a timeout. Plus, with only 3.6 seconds left, the best shot you're gonna get is *likely* a jumper. I'd prefer Lance rolling up-court getting to the rim then a jumper off an an OOB play.

Regardless, I suppose it's more common to call the timeout, I'm more or less considering the viability of alternatives.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I would like to have seen what Lance might have done in those last few seconds, especially in hindsight.

But I don't fault Vogel for the timeout, especially if he called it just as we got the rebound. Pretty standard stuff.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I was at the opener and got to see Lance up close and personal. There are a couple of things I think he still need to work on...

1) Don't get fancy around the rim. There were a couple of times where he was trying too hard to get the ball around someone and he ended up with an awkward (missed) layup. He needs to understand that with his body he should be going right into guys who are challenging him at the rim looking to initiate contact first. He can then use his body to protect the ball and get off an easier shot.

Mark Jackson was the master at this. Watch how in this video he first gets his shoulder into Bol and then ends up with an easy bucket and the foul...

...I would love to see Lance do that.

2) When he came in with the second unit he was incredibly aggressive, but he became tentative again when he was with the starters. Instead of relentlessly attacking the defense he was often just looking to rotate the ball off of pick and rolls. Attack attack attack!

3) He still has no clue where to be on defense half the time. His on the ball D looked much better than I had seen in the past, but when he was off the ball or forced to rotate to someone else's man he often looked lost and got burned a few times. Thornton looked like an all-star when they were matched up against each other.

All in all I really enjoyed watching him and was encouraged by what I saw... it's just going to take Lance awhile to figure things out because he's still young and, as we saw with the "I had to take her down like Chris Brown" incident, not always using his head...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

This quote from Lance really shows how much he's grown.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...TS04/211040361

"I'm happy I'm getting more minutes, but I'm hoping for Danny to get well soon," Stephenson said.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    No, they actually advanced the ball up-court, at least that's what I thought. Got the rebound, ran it up court, got the timeout.

I wish there were some statistics, but it sure seems it would make more sense to let guys make a play, rather than stopping momentum and trying to get a jumper out of a timeout. Plus, with only 3.6 seconds left, the best shot you're gonna get is *likely* a jumper. I'd prefer Lance rolling up-court getting to the rim then a jumper off an an OOB play.

Regardless, I suppose it's more common to call the timeout, I'm more or less considering the viability of alternatives.
    I'm pretty sure they gave them the timeout directly off of the rebound. If they had advanced the ball with a dribble, then they wouldn't have moved the ball into the frontcourt for the inbounds.

It was a bang-bang play, but I do wish Frank would have allowed them to run the fast break and see what happens. The worst possible outcome would have been better than West hoisting up a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    I was at the opener and got to see Lance up close and personal. There are a couple of things I think he still need to work on...

1) Don't get fancy around the rim. There were a couple of times where he was trying too hard to get the ball around someone and he ended up with an awkward (missed) layup. He needs to understand that with his body he should be going right into guys who are challenging him at the rim looking to initiate contact first. He can then use his body to protect the ball and get off an easier shot.

Mark Jackson was the master at this. Watch how in this video he first gets his shoulder into Bol and then ends up with an easy bucket and the foul...

...I would love to see Lance do that.

2) When he came in with the second unit he was incredibly aggressive, but he became tentative again when he was with the starters. Instead of relentlessly attacking the defense he was often just looking to rotate the ball off of pick and rolls. Attack attack attack!

3) He still has no clue where to be on defense half the time. His on the ball D looked much better than I had seen in the past, but when he was off the ball or forced to rotate to someone else's man he often looked lost and got burned a few times. Thornton looked like an all-star when they were matched up against each other.

All in all I really enjoyed watching him and was encouraged by what I saw... it's just going to take Lance awhile to figure things out because he's still young and, as we saw with the "I had to take her down like Chris Brown" incident, not always using his head...

With the exception of Paul George, I thought Lance was our best defender out there against the Kings. I also thought that was why Vogel chose Lance over Green. He also happens to be the best player on our team at denying the ball while chasing around a guard.

I'm not sure why you think it's weird Thornton "looked like an all-star" against Lance. He's one of the best scorers in the league. He's scored 20 ppg since being with the Kings and he scored 26 last night, which is not really that far of a stretch. Especially considering he had 20 points except for his 2 last 3 pointers. The first one was actually when PG was guarding him and relaxed off of him because he thought there was either a shot or a turnover coming. The second one he made (in OT) he made with Lance right in his face. So he scored 2 shots more than his average, with the difference not being a lapse in Lance's ability.