Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss Lance

Default Re: Let's discuss Lance

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that this was Lance's best game as a pro. It's not about the scoring but several little things. I think at this point he's a pretty good backup with some upside.

BTW, I am pretty surprised he's improved this much. I was not sure he had a position in the NBA. At this point, I would say he could play 3 positions as a backup, but probably not the guy you want starting. That too could change though.
    I agree. Some of his pass fakes and subtle dribble moves to free up entry passes or rotate defenses are real impressive.

re Lance playing 3 postitions... I think his best position defensively might be SF. He's not gonna get pushed around by most SFs, and it would somewhat negate his main weakness defensively, getting around screens.

He did okay defensively last night, but he never should have been guarding Walker or Gordon when Paul was in the game. He should have been on Henderson IMO. He's a much better match up for Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Doesn't make any immediate reactions any more valid. That's my point.
    No, he hasn't arrived yet, but it's a good start. He's now shown he has the goods, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance looked great all around last night. His defense was excellent, which made me happy. He looked like a veteran last night. It was easily his best game overall as a Pacer. Hopefully he can string some good games together. If so, he might build some confidence and become more of what Bird saw in him from the beginning. It is only one game, but give the man his due. I want more before I jump on the LS1 bandwagon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

I'm more than fine with that. Lance legitimately played very well, and I'm not a fan of the guy at all. It's just a convenient timing to start a thread like this.
    The fact this is the 2nd game of the year and he's shown some improvement is convenient timing as well. I think he's made substantive improvements in his game and I was not a fan of him signing. I ripped the decision by Bird to bring him to Indy after the thuggery that went on the prior decade.

But Lance is acting like a good team mate. He's made important adjustments partially filling gaping holes in his game. He now looks like a legitimate NBA player. Sure, it's early but even I am giving him some props.

Edit: BTW, I expected Lance to show more stats with IMPD than with the Pacers. Let's just say he's not made the off court mistakes that I would have expected...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The fact this is the 2nd game of the year and he's shown some improvement is convenient timing as well. I think he's made substantive improvements in his game and I was not a fan of him signing. I ripped the decision by Bird to bring him to Indy after the thuggery that went on the prior decade.

But Lance is acting like a good team mate. He's made important adjustments partially filling gaping holes in his game. He now looks like a legitimate NBA player. Sure, it's early but even I am giving him some props.

Edit: BTW, I expected Lance to show more stats with IMPD than with the Pacers. Let's just say he's not made the off court mistakes that I would have expected...
    Lance has impressed me starting in his first offseason. Both in off court work and being a good teammate. He's a penultimate towel waver. That probably sounds like a knock but I mean anything but. It's been my silver lining of hope for him all along. I don't dislike Lance. I've disliked his inability to do anything but playground "highlight" moves. He did plenty of those tonight. I hope he keeps it up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Lol lance in the starting line Up? Really? He would fold more under the pressure than green is doing. Give him a chance. It's been two games. You guys turn ur backs on players so easily.
    Yes sir, they do. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks after twenty games or so. It is obvious that these two have worlds of potential. Green is a superior athlete and shooter, in comparison. Green also is more consistent defensively. Lance is by far the better ballhandler and facilitator. Stephenson's IQ on the offensive end I'm sure can become a great asset to teammates. What Lance showed last night is that he can be on Green's current level defensively.

It is still one game. I need more before naming him a starter. This is our 10/11th man we are talking about. Still was as impressed as everyone else. Hopefully Lance is starting to get his mind right and finally tap that obvious potential.
    Last edited by Noodle; 11-03-2012 at 09:01 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How bout we discuss Lance on a night where he didn't have one of his two best games of his life?
    To be fair, we have. A lot. Vociferously.

I am also not someone who sees Lance as anything fantastic, but last night he at least looked like an effective bench player. Let's hope to see that consistently.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    To be fair, we have. A lot. Vociferously.
    that's certainly valid

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

What I don't get is why Green,who is a just like Lance, (ie Maturity issues, bad passing, playingOut-of-control.) gets more respect. He was in the D-league last year. Lance has practced and played with most of our guys for three seasons now. I understand why Vogel is hesitant to play him at critical times Lance can be very bonehead but I don't see how Gerald has not been just as boneheaded
    Protect the Promise!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HOOPFANATIC For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Lance's body built makes me call him lil LeBron - when he is out running the break he is just so big and agile at the same time - like a mini-lebron - he got the physical gift for sure - he just needs to keep on progressing like this and we could see something special in the near future.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Lance's shot is clearly light years better, which is the first thing I saw at a preseason game. It was my first thought after sitting down that day, honestly. His decision making is better, even if some of the decisions that worked out last night were low percentage moves. Yet, he's clearly worked his *** off, and it's hard to not respect that.

I'm not sure if his current (2 game) level of play will continue, but I sure hope so with Danny out, we need it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Almost forgot... one of my favorite plays from Lance last night came when he was on the bench. During the front end of a 2 shot foul by Haywood, after it quieted down, Lance screamed "SHORT"! Brendan proceeded to clank it off the front rim. Then OJ, sitting 2 chairs down, reached over top of the guy between em to give Lance credit with the high five. Neither one even cracked a smile.

He looked very comfortable creating and taking his own shots last night. He pretty much put the team on his back offensively at times.

Hopefully he can keep that play going and improve gradually as he can become a very good player for us for a long time.

The thing I was most impressed with was how vocal he was being. Every play back on defense he was calling out assignments, and pointing guys to their spots. I personally think a huge part of being a great defense is being a vocal defense, so it was a nice change to see. It seemed he was doing the same on the offensive end, but I honestly didn't pay as much attention.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody think Lance can keep that aggressiveness up?? It was just one gam but he gave us a glimpse of what the coaches prob see in practice daily. Never had that type of player on the pacers (creating his own off the bounce) so it was fun to watch

Lance is having another good game. I've got the feeling we can get used to this level of play from him.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

His final line wasn't great... 4-12, 1-4 from 3, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, etc. But his +22 plus-minus is best on the team, and I thought he did a nice job on both defense and offense. A couple of his misses were "Get the ball to Lance with 2 on the clock" shots; 4-10 or 4-9 doesn't sound that bad.

Best of all, I thought he meshed well with the starters, which I really didn't expect.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I counted at least two of those stupid last second passes to him where he had nowhere to go...that were just stupid plays by Hill!
    I like Lance so far, too bad he had no chance to play a bigger role at the end, cause every play was called for West or Hill. But he hit his 3 pointer in the first OT!
    I hope he keeps this up, he deserves it!

I really like Lance's ball handling and passing next to Hill and George. All three of them can run the pick and roll or make the entry pass. A lot of options to work with that we didn't exploit enough tonight.

Also loved the look on his face when he hit that three in the first overtime. That was years in the making.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

He is looking good and should probably start until Danny comes back. I would rahter have Green come off of the bench with the second unit and be the go to guy with them.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Lance gives the Pacers another good ball handler. Plus his skill set just goes so well with Hill and Paul. And a one man fast break.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    His final line wasn't great... 4-12, 1-4 from 3, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, etc. But his +22 plus-minus is best on the team, and I thought he did a nice job on both defense and offense. A couple of his misses were "Get the ball to Lance with 2 on the clock" shots; 4-10 or 4-9 doesn't sound that bad.

Best of all, I thought he meshed well with the starters, which I really didn't expect.
    He blew a couple lay ups that I think he should and usually would make.

Lance needs to be playing over Sam Young at least until Sam gets the idea that he's playing for the Pacers and not the other team....
    Last edited by Sandman21; 11-04-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: NEED SLEEP
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exclamation Re: Let's discuss Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Lance needs to be playing over Sam Young at least Sam gets the idea that he's playing for the Pacers and not the other team....
    I think you mean...
    Lance needs to be playing over Sam Young at least Lance gets the idea that he's playing for the Pacers and not the other team....

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Something like that.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca