Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss Lance

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Let's discuss Lance

I think he had his best game so far as a pro tonight.

Good enough that Vogel put him back in at the end of the game instead of Greene. But then Vogel replaced him with Augustine, which I can understand. However, the way things turned out, it would have been nice to see what might have happened if Lance was in at the end.

Lance is playing with confidence on offense and seems to be vocal and aggressive on defense.

I wouldn't call last night a breakout game for him, but it was close.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 11-02-2012 at 09:57 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Let's discuss Lance

Lance was pretty good today, he should have been there at the end.

It was nice to see him play aggressively. He was slightly out of control, but I'd rather see that than the tentative version of Lance.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If his outside shot keeps falling and defenders have to respect that, I'm pretty excited with his prospects going forward. You can see real development in decision making, playing sound and within the game, and cutting the mental mistakes. Odviously he still hasn't put it all together yet, but he's getting there...

The shooting is nice, no doubt about it. I don't recall seeing somebody re-engineer their entire jump shot like that. His jumper looks nothing like when he came into the league.

What I really like, though, is that he seems to genuinely enjoy setting guys up. He does as good a job as anybody on the team at getting the ball to guys inside, either by setting up a guy that's posted or by going into the lane and passing.

No, he's not a finished product. But there's real potential there. If anybody on the team could have hit a shot in the last 5 possessions, Lance would have been the hero of the game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I thought lance and paul played well together. their games seemed to go together well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And of course this is the game I miss, lol. Guess he will have to do it again.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

With Lance , I think we got a keeper. He looks to me as a career sixth man/ occasional starter with a friendly contract.

Why not move him up in the rotation. He shows more basketball IQ than Green and fits in better with the starting unit. IMO. I'm hoping that, while Granger is out, Lance replaces Green in the starting line up. Green has been a disappointment to me in these first two games. Lance has been outstanding.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Lance looked really good pulling down those defensive rebounds and taking off the other way. He is strong enough to pull down defensive boards in traffic and when he gets out in the open he has the speed and handles to run the break. Plus he actually has the court vision and the ability to make the pass at the end. I think we saw what Lance could be for the first time tonight. I hope he gets some of Green's minutes tomorrow b/c he deserves them. I don't understand why Green got 30 minutes tonight when he was by far the worst player.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was nice to see him play aggressively. He was slightly out of control, but I'd rather see that than the tentative version of Lance.
    He has to play that way or he's almost useless. He'll make mistakes playing that way for a while, but I think eventually the game will slow down for him.

He was our best player creating offense against the Cats zone, but what really impressed me tonight (and in Toronto) was his demeanor on the court. He seems like he's more engaged, and he's not sulking as much after bad plays. ANd he's just simply playing harder. Pretty good start to the season.

Mood

To add on, I love the fact that he alleviates some of the pressure on the PG with his ball handling and passing, without needing to dominate the ball. A wing that can run the offense without giving up size is a very nice thing to have...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had his best game. Nothing earth-shattering, but good for what we've come to expect from him. He had two bad passes that were just bad decisions. Did well shooting the ball, though. I think he's more comfortable at the 2.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Gotta Play Big

I agree that this was Lance's best game as a pro. It's not about the scoring but several little things. I think at this point he's a pretty good backup with some upside.

BTW, I am pretty surprised he's improved this much. I was not sure he had a position in the NBA. At this point, I would say he could play 3 positions as a backup, but probably not the guy you want starting. That too could change though.

Also impressed with how much effort he put into running down the court, going both ways. I wouldn't say he has the most foot speed, but he sure tried to outrun everybody.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Lol lance in the starting line Up? Really? He would fold more under the pressure than green is doing. Give him a chance. It's been two games. You guys turn ur backs on players so easily.

Right now he looks more like 6th man material than Green. I am not giving up on Green, although I do think if Young is healthy enough he should start over him, but so far Lance has easily outplayed him.

Lance really set people up nicely in the first half. He got both Tyler and Ian to the FT line, off of him making the play. I don't know if he can ever be a PG, don't know if he can keep his head small enough for long stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Lance really set people up nicely in the first half. He got both Tyler and Ian to the FT line, off of him making the play. I don't know if he can ever be a PG, don't know if he can keep his head small enough for long stretches.
    I think he is most useful when paired with another point guard or combo guard.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

His game management looks sooooo much better than it was a few years ago. He looks like he has a feel for the game.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

How bout we discuss Lance on a night where he didn't have one of his two best games of his life?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    How bout we discuss Lance on a night where he didn't have one of his two best games of his life?
    He was arguably our best player tonight in a game that matters, and it's probably the first time he's ever strung a couple good games together in a row. With the crap he gets around here I think it's only fair to recognize that.

Can we at least admit he's talented now?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    He was arguably our best player tonight in a game that matters, and it's probably the first time he's ever strung a couple good games together in a row. With the crap he gets around here I think it's only fair to recognize that.

Can we at least admit he's talented now?
    I'm more than fine with that. Lance legitimately played very well, and I'm not a fan of the guy at all. It's just a convenient timing to start a thread like this.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm more than fine with that. Lance legitimately played very well, and I'm not a fan of the guy at all. It's just a convenient timing to start a thread like this.
    No offense but, I'd say its pretty common to see a thread started about a player after they have a great game, or conversely a terrible game. Get used to convenient timing...

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tonight he proved why Larry Bird was so high on him. He proved why we needed to keep him. I think, tonight, he proved he's got what got what it takes to be an all star.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    No offense but, I'd say its pretty common to see a thread started about a player after they have a great game, or conversely a terrible game. Get used to convenient timing...
    Doesn't make any immediate reactions any more valid. That's my point.