Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback requested: Pacers TV Spots

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Feedback requested: Pacers TV Spots

I missed that somehow, is there a link to the video somewhere Seth?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a totally different note Rob - you guys have got to get Roy's A55 Ganghem style video up on the center scoreboard during the game. Tough with a 1 minute timeout I realize, maybe the 1st quarter break? You can't bump the 3rd quarter dunking obviously.

At the very least you've got to have the video edit to go with when you play the song during the 4th qtr. Maybe cut into it just about when Roy shows up in order to keep it short. I'd hope their wasn't a rights issue since you are already using the song.
    Halftime (they also showed it about a half hour before the tip last night). It'd be better than Zumba dancing.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Also on the videos, you've got to INTERCUT the average Joe/Jane coming in with the player coming in. Lights on, lights on, laying out paperwork, wheeling out a rack of balls, etc. It's not clear enough that it's a Pacers commercial early on and you don't get a good relationship established between the regular person's work and the Pacer.

Also I'd mix in footage from a 3rd worker, cut down the time and images of each scene to just a quick, easy to identify image. In 30 seconds you just don't have the time to spend 14 of the 30 seconds showing 5 different edits of the woman's entrance. Each of those can be 1-2 seconds max, don't require real "reaction" pacing (ie, you see the room and spend time showing too much of her reaction to it, then show more reaction in another edit).

It might be cliche but sparks flying from a weld or metal cut, grease on a face, etc are used because they play so clear in a very quick time frame. That gets you in and out of one edit quicker. If the image doesn't tell the story quickly then it's not the right one, even if it's a "true" image (ie, people do come in early, turn on the lights, look at the room, etc).

Have her entering the building in the dark, Paul coming into a dark locker room (you need a beat to get to the VO of "coming in early" which those would give you), then her spreading out a lot papers on a table, Paul wheeling in a ball rack to the practice floor (implies he's going to do a lot of shooting, she's got a lot of paperwork). That's 4 edits and might only take 10 seconds.

So now you have time for maybe a 3rd pair of edits from another "regular" person. It's cheap but everyone loves a mechanic hitting the garage early on and that gives another early morning clips and tools or "sparks" in a "at work" clip.

This gets you to 15-16 seconds and allows for 3 gold swagger clips of each person having success. Her presentation is being applauded, Paul's 3pt is going in, 3rd person is seeing their work pay off (racing mechanic gives you a checker flag image which is easy, but stick with a small local track not the Indy 500, more blue collar). Obviously you end each bundle of 3 with the Pacer image.

Ditto on the 2nd one. We get the effort image with the first writing cut, but it just goes on and on, and without ever showing the Pacer. You also have too much time showing Roy dribbling. That's what I mean about shortening things up. 26 seconds till the game promo bumper kicks in and you are spending too much time trying to tell a story that's going to be obvious in just an image or two.

Intercut, shorter segments.
    He's writing (look on face, pencil moving), Roy is shooting.

He tosses aside another draft to a basket that we see has a bunch of other paper balls around it, cut to Roy shooting with the layout of missed balls. Less edits in him doing this, just show him throwing the paper because this image is so familiar everyone will fill in that he's crumpled up the idea.

Then you go to the payoff images of each, maybe a building ribbon cutting or something for him, Roy hitting a clutch FT. The average joe payoff should involve them looking confident in their success. Not gloating, but proud of their work.

Also you've got to change this copy
    "And when a desire to do more than is expected of you, meets the desire to do more than your competition. That's blue collar gold swagger". That's only blue collar and it's redundant, you are expected to do as much as your competition since that's the standard. Doing more than expected IS doing more than your competition.

You might have to punt on "meets" because the relationship isn't one of meeting, but one of cause-effect (BC leads to GS).

"When your desire to work harder than expected leads to excellence at your job, that's Blue Collar (pause) Gold Swagger".

You replace "do" with "work" because it's a stronger verb. "Doing" things can be easy, you can be willing to do what it takes even if that means cheating, for example. Work is work, and it ties better to blue collar and "job".
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I think the Gold Swagger thing was a really cool idea for a game/series. Unfortunately, it also introduced the word "swagger" to a whole new generation of people who shouldn't use the word "swagger". It just sounds weird coming from a grandpa or uncle now, as do the shirts.

That said, I love the idea behind the motto, and the image the Pacers are striving toward. I'm not in marketing, so obviously I'm no expert and don't pretend my opinion has any validity whatsoever. But I wonder if there's a way to get the message/image across without me having to survey the crowd and roll my eyes a bit. Hope that's not too harsh.
    I thought the same thing when we first discussed the idea. I said the phrase to my father, who is 72 years old, and he said he and his friends used to use the word "swagger" back when he was young.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    As a voice actor myself, I wholly agree with the pacing comments above.

The "BlueCollarGoldSwagger" pacing of that line delivery does come across as a bit forced and peculiar.

A tougher, more determined sounding "blue collar" followed up by a cool, collected and poised "Gold Swagger" would play much better.

I have a home recording studio Rob. Just saying

In general though I really like the spots. Some of them feel as though the editing is a bit too focused around the "pedestrian" actor, and not enough screen time is given to Roy or PG. That's just my opinion, though.

Keep up the great work. And huge kudos for seeking out fan opinion!
    If you want to do the voice as a test, then feel free to record it and email it to me. No promises on it being used, but I'll at least share it internally.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobfromPacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    On a totally different note Rob - you guys have got to get Roy's A55 Ganghem style video up on the center scoreboard during the game. Tough with a 1 minute timeout I realize, maybe the 1st quarter break? You can't bump the 3rd quarter dunking obviously.

At the very least you've got to have the video edit to go with when you play the song during the 4th qtr. Maybe cut into it just about when Roy shows up in order to keep it short. I'd hope their wasn't a rights issue since you are already using the song.
    We played the video pregame. I think you're right on with the 4th quarter song. I was shocked at how many fans performed the dance while standing in their seats. I'll mention something to Dean, the Game Ops Director, and see what he thinks. Thanks for the idea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RobfromPacers For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like 'em.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is that the EA Sports guy?

In all seriousness, they're pretty good. But as someone pointed out it could be very hard to tell until the end that they are commercials for promoting a basketball team/game. (At least the one with Roy in it.)

How bad of an idea would it be to show footage of Rik, Dale, Reggie and Derrick when it comes to some of these commercials. I know we need to promote our current guys, but I think this 90's teams (maybe even ABA) really defined a "blue collar" work ethic.

Just a thought.

Other than that, I like seeing these pop-up on TV.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Is that the EA Sports guy?

In all seriousness, they're pretty good. But as someone pointed out it could be very hard to tell until the end that they are commercials for promoting a basketball team/game. (At least the one with Roy in it.)

How bad of an idea would it be to show footage of Rik, Dale, Reggie and Derrick when it comes to some of these commercials. I know we need to promote our current guys, but I think this 90's teams (maybe even ABA) really defined a "blue collar" work ethic.

Just a thought.

Other than that, I like seeing these pop-up on TV.
    Heh. Showing the current guy in the weight room with the closely aligned 90's guy on film on the monitor? Not easy to frame but certainly would get the point across - working out while watching film of the old guys.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Overall I like the ads. In fact, I'd say they are some of the better ones i've seen for the team over the years. It's still early and I think they convey the appropriate message and identity of the team but if the play on the court doesn't pick up any over the next 3-4 weeks I think some serious thought will need to be put into pulling the ads. Much like the "It's on us" campaign that was ran several years back that was quickly followed by players having run ins with the law. "It's on us" was pulled shortly thereafter. If our play doesn't pick up any and we're a few games below .500 by the first week of December then I think "Blue collar gold swagger" becomes more of a mockery than a truthful identity.

Mood

I agree with many of the points here. The pause between "Blue Collar" and "Gold Swagger" is needed. I do feel like the ads are missing something. I get the correlation between the blue collar desk job worker and the swagger of being a professional athlete, but I don't feel any motivation from watching the ad. Smashmouth Swagger go together really well. In order to play "Smashmouth" ball, you have to be confident, in your face, relentless....Basically the definition of Swagger...

By the definition of the word:

swag·ger/ˈswagər/
    Verb: Walk or behave in a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive way: "he swaggered along the corridor".
    Noun: A very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive gait or manner.
    Adjective: Denoting a coat or jacket cut with a loose flare from the shoulders.

Synonyms:
    verb. strut - brag - prance - peacock - boast - swank - vaunt
    noun. strut - swank
    adjective. swell - stylish - chic - spruce

That being said, I think that the ads are somewhat missing the point. You are wanting to motivate people to get behind and back the Pacers, but this doesn't seem motivating to me at all. They actually feel a little depressing to me. The use of black and white, the expressions on the peoples faces, and the overall feel of the spots, they say to me, these people aren't enjoying what they are doing. They are there because they have to be, not because they want to be. They aren't putting in the extra hours for any gain other than to get their mundane day to day tasks accomplished.

Where is the payoff?? The payoff is the fame, fortune, glamour, the thrill.....The "Gold Swagger"....

I don't feel that the businessman and the businesswoman relay what you want them to relay. They kind of feel like they are stuck in there as filler until you get to the real meat and potatoes of the commercial, the basketball. Watching these spots, it almost feels as if they came from Detroit, much like the Chrysler ads, where the city is beat up, down and out, and bismal, and in need of being brought back from the brink of disaster.

I would like to see the ads focussed more on basketball. Showing PG24 all by himself on an outside court, late at night with the court lights on, working on his handles, then cut to an ankle breaking crossover, a hard penetration, or a glamorous dunk showing the payoff. Show Roy in all alone, working on his post moves, going through his motions boxing out for a rebound, getting in position, posting up....Then cut to him posterizing someone with a battle cry on his face. Show Hill focusing on something, with a Gatorade-like bead of sweat running down his face, working his a$$ off, then cut to him dropping a dime, or a nice ally-oop. Have a clip of Danny hitting the 3, then running down the court doing the discount double check...

Show clips of big time shots, with flash bulbs and glitz in the background, really emphasizing and glamorizing the payoff, or the Swagger if you will.

Honestly, the Pacer that I tend to think about when I hear "Swagger" is Reggie....Confident and cool with just a little bit of cocky thrown in there.

I just feel that there needs to be more emphasis on the Swagger part of the slogan...Idealize the thought of fame, brashness, confidence, in-your-faceness....

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

ej... I think you just hit what I couldn't put my finger on. Well said!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    I agree with many of the points here. The pause between "Blue Collar" and "Gold Swagger" is needed. I do feel like the ads are missing something. I get the correlation between the blue collar desk job worker and the swagger of being a professional athlete, but I don't feel any motivation from watching the ad. Smashmouth Swagger go together really well. In order to play "Smashmouth" ball, you have to be confident, in your face, relentless....Basically the definition of Swagger...

By the definition of the word:

swag·ger/ˈswagər/
    Verb: Walk or behave in a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive way: "he swaggered along the corridor".
    Noun: A very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive gait or manner.
    Adjective: Denoting a coat or jacket cut with a loose flare from the shoulders.

Synonyms:
    verb. strut - brag - prance - peacock - boast - swank - vaunt
    noun. strut - swank
    adjective. swell - stylish - chic - spruce

That being said, I think that the ads are somewhat missing the point. You are wanting to motivate people to get behind and back the Pacers, but this doesn't seem motivating to me at all. They actually feel a little depressing to me. The use of black and white, the expressions on the peoples faces, and the overall feel of the spots, they say to me, these people aren't enjoying what they are doing. They are there because they have to be, not because they want to be. They aren't putting in the extra hours for any gain other than to get their mundane day to day tasks accomplished.

Where is the payoff?? The payoff is the fame, fortune, glamour, the thrill.....The "Gold Swagger"....

I don't feel that the businessman and the businesswoman relay what you want them to relay. They kind of feel like they are stuck in there as filler until you get to the real meat and potatoes of the commercial, the basketball. Watching these spots, it almost feels as if they came from Detroit, much like the Chrysler ads, where the city is beat up, down and out, and bismal, and in need of being brought back from the brink of disaster.

I would like to see the ads focussed more on basketball. Showing PG24 all by himself on an outside court, late at night with the court lights on, working on his handles, then cut to an ankle breaking crossover, a hard penetration, or a glamorous dunk showing the payoff. Show Roy in all alone, working on his post moves, going through his motions boxing out for a rebound, getting in position, posting up....Then cut to him posterizing someone with a battle cry on his face. Show Hill focusing on something, with a Gatorade-like bead of sweat running down his face, working his a$$ off, then cut to him dropping a dime, or a nice ally-oop. Have a clip of Danny hitting the 3, then running down the court doing the discount double check...

Show clips of big time shots, with flash bulbs and glitz in the background, really emphasizing and glamorizing the payoff, or the Swagger if you will.

Honestly, the Pacer that I tend to think about when I hear "Swagger" is Reggie....Confident and cool with just a little bit of cocky thrown in there.

I just feel that there needs to be more emphasis on the Swagger part of the slogan...Idealize the thought of fame, brashness, confidence, in-your-faceness....
    On Saturday, a few of you said you were surprised I asked for feedback because most marketing efforts have people that love them and people who don't, especially in sports. It may sound a little Forrest Gump-like, but the reason I ask is because you never know what' you're going to get. There is a lot of great information and thought in your most... please believe it is very appreciated and in consideration for future.

And I completely agree on Danny's discount double check. We actually used it in one of the TV spots from last year. Watch the 2nd video on this page to watch it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobfromPacers For This Useful Post:

Gettin paid in the shade HoopMoney's Avatar

Rob,

Those "Blue Collar, Gold Swagger" commercials are weak. They totally miss on so many levels. You would think that you guys would want to pump up the fans not make them more depressed.

The background music is a downer, the voice-over guy sounds sleepy, way too many words in the dialogue and the video is way too dark and slow.

Get some music that's hype, a voice-over guy that sounds excided, say fewer words and have video that moves at a faster pace with Pacer players and fans in it.

"Work hard, Play hard, Pacers
    Blue collar, gold swagger, yea!"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Considering how much market research can cost, especially with confidence that it's coming from your core audience, I don't blame you guys one bit for coming here and asking. It's easy enough to filter out the nutjob responses and it's free.

Plus to be honest I think that you are accidentally doing some good marketing and sales simply by engaging with the Digest group. People might be losing their minds right about now, but this is a group that also travels for games* and talks up the team to casual fans. I think everyone here appreciates the chance to be involved with the team in some small way and likes knowing that the team keeps them in mind.

*Just check the front row in Minny tomorrow night for proof of that.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Rob,

I showed this thread to my wife last night (not a big sports fan). She was thoroughly impressed that you would come to our forums and reach out for opinions from the fans. I am sure that the "big market" teams don't reach out and interact with their fans like the Pacers seem to. That is another benefit to being a Pacers fan. From the front office, all the way to the players, everyone is more accessible and approachable. Just thought it was interesting that she would mention something like that....