Thread: Thoughts on the lineup when the starters return?

Default Thoughts on the lineup when the starters return?

How has the amazing play of the backup changed your view of the lineup after JO and Jax, and perhaps eventually Ronnie return?

Firstly, I think we can safely lay aside all doubt that Tins is the starter for as long as he wants the job. I think most everyone had come round to that opinion by the end of last year, but this most recent outburst has outperformed even the sunniest of expectations. And one note about this, Tinsley's skills are not really related to his speed (he isn't very fast) or size and strength. Which seems to me to indicate that if he manages to stay healthy, he could truly have a long, long career in this league. Again, alla Mark Jackson.

It seems to me that everyone agrees that Freddie has also silenced all doubters (Kareem Rush anyone?) over the last few games. The knock on him was that he was athletic but too small and couldn't shoot. Well, turns out he can shoot, he just needed the confidence, and, frankly, the opportunity to get enough shots to get in the groove. I think at this point relegating him to 3rd string minutes, even if we had everyone back, would be a monumental waste of talent.

Harrison & Jones. It seems to me that both have proven that they can contribute, both seem to have bright futures, and neither are ready to play major minutes on a contending team. I think getting them big minutes with the starters out and using them consistantly when they return will help their development. On the other hand, they're not quite ready to be on the line in crunch time. But give them a couple of years, and...

Croshere needs to be starting. He's been scoring everywhere and hussling all over the court. It's strange, but it really does seem the more minutes he plays, the better he does. As long as we keep him guarding slower players, he does an admirable job.

Pollard goes back to being the guy that can buy you some quality minutes when you need them. If his back can hold up.

Bender. Another HUGE missed opportunity. But you know what? He will get more chances. With Artest gone for now and Reggie not really able to man major minutes, he will play again.

So where does this leave us?

I think when JO and Reggie return, they will take over right where they left off. The front court is filled out with Croshere starting and Foster and Harrison getting most of the rest of the minutes. Pollard heals and takes over when called on.

The big remaining question this season is how to fill out the SG/SF rotation. I think at this point, we assume that Reggie still starts, and Jax slides over to starts at SF. He's 6-8, and won't have any trouble. This leave plenty of time for Freddie as the primary backup SG taking most of the minutes. It also give either Jones or Bender time at SF.

When Reg retires and Artest (if Artest) returns, I think it will be interesting to watch to see if it's Jax or Freddie who will emerge as the starting SG.

I'm also curious to see if one of these guys hussling now is playing himself in a
    1) starting position or 2) trade bait.

Default Re: Thoughts on the lineup when the starters return?

I expect the rotation to be:

Tinsley/Johnson
    Miller/Fred Jones
    Jackson/James Jones
    Croshere/*
    O'Neal/*

*I have names I can put here, but it won't be as cut and dry as it would look if I just slapped one name in both spots. But you will see Jeff, David, Scot, and when he gets back, Bender all getting time at one or both of these spots, depending on the player.

Tins/AJ/Gill
    Reggie/Fred
    Jack/JJ
    JO/Cro/Bender
    Foster/David/Pollard

thats what I think its going to be

sweabs

Unfortunately, when everyone comes back I see David Harrison's minutes going way down. I like him out on the floor gaining valuable experience. But I have a feeling Croshere, Foster, JO, Pollard will all get PT ahead of him. Not to mention when Bender comes back.

P.S. - We signed John Edwards because...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, when everyone comes back I see David Harrison's minutes going way down. I like him out on the floor gaining valuable experience. But I have a feeling Croshere, Foster, JO, Pollard will all get PT ahead of him. Not to mention when Bender comes back.

Yeh, I see that too. But it's all about THIS year (like every year) so if Jeff is 10% better than he's gotta get the minutes.
    at the same time it's ALL in Harrisons hands. He's got 30 games to improve enough that they CAN'T take him out of the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey

I doubt at this point that Pollard is going to be stealing many minutes from anybody. I understand that Foster is going to try to return our next home game. He better hurry if he wants to keep the starting job. It will be interesting to see if he does start. Even Tim Duncan didn't start last year when he came back from injury (I just loved that). This road trip could figure deeply into his immediate future.

One other little note, I wonder if that trade that Croshere has been looking for all these years is any more likely at this point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

After we get all our guys back, I think Foster would share even mins with Pollard. Harrison probably won't have any mins unless Foster and Pollard are both in serious foul troubles. Croshere would play as JO backup in second unit. Things get interesting at the SF position. While Jackson would replace Artest to start at 3, how much mins would James and Bender get from bench? It all depends on the performance of Bender after he is back. But right now James has a head start in winning the backup mins. At 2, Reggie would start and Fred would get the backup mins. At the PG position, I would not be surprise if Gill have more mins than AJ. Gill is a better defencer than AJ and we already have eoungh of socring weapons in the second unit. I don't see AJ's playmaking ability any much better than Gill's.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I ask this as a side bar...IF the incident had not occured and all were healthy, who would be the two to three players on the IR???

I'm assuming Edwards wouldn't even be here. Nor would the two we just brought in.

I'll tell ya this, with the play of Harrison, FJ, and JJ my thinking is being challenged, We DO NOT need to trade for another body. We have PLENTY of tools here now. It is pretty amazing what these guys are doing. To even remain competitive basically using our 3rd stringers.....Wow, just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I ask this as a side bar...IF the incident had not occured and all were healthy, who would be the two to three players on the IR???

I'm assuming Edwards wouldn't even be here. Nor would the two we just brought in.
    Edwards was the 15th player, so he could easily be IR'd.

Who would be the other two on a completely healthy team? Gill and, uh, you'd have to think it would have been Harrison, Pollard, or James Jones. That shows how much things have changed.

Good question.

Another good question. Who would be left ineligible for the playoffs, if everyone was healthy, and all our players, including Artest, were finished with their suspensions?

Gill, Edwards, and... man I dunno. Our frontcourt rotations are going to be a mess when everyone comes back.

Bender/Pollard/AJ works for D.Davis/Cliffy... and yes we all know GS probably wouldn't go for it... I think. Depends on what Mullin thinks of Bender.

Foster and Croshere will both start for about 20 games. It'll depend on how both players do who stays in the lineup when JO and SJax get back.

I will note - with those two back offense will become less important than defense and Foster is much better on D than Croshere vs centers. The offense off the bench will be nice too.

Whatever happens, AC needs to (and probably will) keep getting solid minutes - 25-30 per from the bench. Keep in mind that Foster has never averaged huge minutes. With Artest gone there will be plenty of PT to go around.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire