Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Indiana-Toronto Postgame

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana-Toronto Postgame

Something I haven't seen discussed yet:

Tyler set several good hard screens instead of slipping out early to roll toward the basket. Yay!

Set good screens and rebound. Then I can forgive the flailing toward the basket - at least it does sometimes result in free throws.

I don't remember him taking a single jump shot.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

I just felt that with the game at such a crucial juncture, you want your best players on the floor. Doesn't even explain PG's absence for most of the 4th quarter. I could be wrong about that, but seems like he left large chunks of our 2nd unit out there for a loong time, even after the Raps had brought back most of their starters.

I could be wrong, but I kept looking at the clock, and it ticked down to 6:00 and I remember thinking "Why isn't PG or Hibbert out there?" We had made a run and got it close, and then the Raps started to match us score for score, and it just seemed to me that we waited an oddly long amount of time to get our guys back in.

Like I said, we won the game, so I'm not terribly torn up about it right now. It's something I'll be keeping my 6th eye on though throughout the season. Why yes, I have six eyes.
    Instead, Vogel left Stephenson out there to barely exist.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Something I haven't seen discussed yet:

Tyler set several good hard screens instead of slipping out early to roll toward the basket. Yay!

Set good screens and rebound. Then I can forgive the flailing toward the basket - at least it does sometimes result in free throws.

I don't remember him taking a single jump shot.
    I just watched the game focusing only on Tyler. It was an interesting experience.

He is the main inbounder after a defensive make so that Roy gets time to go down the floor
    He dives for rebounds hard since he is the main inbounder, and knows he has to go over there anyway if they make.
    He sets good screens
    The worst thing you can do is give him the ball with the clock going down. Stephensen did this when he should have been the one to ISO. Don't make Tyler Iso.
    He runs well back and forth, harder than most.
    He did the flail around get free throws thing in a situation I wasn't even sure he had the ball secured. Got the call. Good stuff.
    Sometimes he looks like he really wants to be the focus of a play, and gets down a bit that he isn't, but doesn't move any less hard.
    He gave up baskets that weren't his fault, and were entirely the fault of the coaching staff having him cover pick and rolls so high. It's reckless, and I don't see why we do it.

I came away from the game thinking more highly of him that I did. It's hard to notice all the things he's doing because he doesn't have the ball, but I actually like him doing dirty work, running around...
    Last edited by notque; 11-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notque For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The defensive advantage Roy brings is when he gets to hang out in front of the rim and challenge shots.

Him standing out and guarding a player 15ft from the basket takes away that advantage. The Pacers did exactly what they needed to do in order to win, why would you want to change the things that they actually did right?

They needed to get way more athletic on their front line. Ian was brought in for this exact role. It worked out great.
    Toronto built their 10 point lead with us playing Ian on Barge, so Mahinmi wasn't exactly stopping him.

Undefeated

whew, rough game.

My first thought was that we really missed Granger. My second was that we really can't let West go next summer, the guy's the heart and soul of this team. My third is that our bench sucks.

I guess the worst looking player last night was Ian. I didn't see him play in the preseason, but he was just awful last night. Also was very unimpressed with Green. He looked overwhelmed. I also don't think George is going to take that "next step" that I keep hearing about. I'm sure he will continue to improve, but I just don't see him being one of those guys who can take over game. Hibbert has a nice inside game, but it's his D that really changes this team. He has become an excellent interior defender.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Toronto built their 10 point lead with us playing Ian on Barge, so Mahinmi wasn't exactly stopping him.
    Yeah, because it was Bargs that totally built that lead. He had two points during that span, and they came from the FT line. Ian did exactly what he was supposed to do, and kept Bargs a non-factor.

EDIT: When checking the play-by-play, I should have just looked at the Pacers side. Roy was in the game when Toronto went on their run, guarding JV, so yeah...

http://www.nba.com/games/20121031/IN...meinfo.html#Q3
    Last edited by Since86; 11-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

There have been very few times in the past five years, where I've seen the team respond well to pressure defense. The in-your-face full court stuff seems to really jostle the team. To me, that was what I saw happen in the 2nd/3rd. Lots of active hands, disrupting passing lanes, etc. Noone was able to really respond to that.

In most of the first, George and Hibbert were either facilitating or getting great looks thanks to Hill (which was a pleasant surprise). Then they tried to run a few plays through West and it got a little ticky tacky, which amplified throughout the next few quarters. West got pissed off and Hill was jawing to the refs. They all starting losing their mental edge. Toronto defense then started to swarm...

I give credit to Casey for instilling that motivation in them, but as Unclebuck I believe mentioned earlier... it will be interesting to see if they can keep up that style of defense for 82 games.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by notque View Post
    I just watched the game focusing only on Tyler. It was an interesting experience.

He is the main inbounder after a defensive make so that Roy gets time to go down the floor
    He dives for rebounds hard since he is the main inbounder, and knows he has to go over there anyway if they make.
    He sets good screens
    The worst thing you can do is give him the ball with the clock going down. Stephensen did this when he should have been the one to ISO. Don't make Tyler Iso.
    He runs well back and forth, harder than most.
    He did the flail around get free throws thing in a situation I wasn't even sure he had the ball secured. Got the call. Good stuff.
    Sometimes he looks like he really wants to be the focus of a play, and gets down a bit that he isn't, but doesn't move any less hard.
    He gave up baskets that weren't his fault, and were entirely the fault of the coaching staff having him cover pick and rolls so high. It's reckless, and I don't see why we do it.

I came away from the game thinking more highly of him that I did. It's hard to notice all the things he's doing because he doesn't have the ball, but I actually like him doing dirty work, running around...

I think people get too caught up in how much he's not a starting PF and forget that he's an above average reserve PF. I do think that he seems to have matured over the summer and shouldn't always be the black hole he was much of the time in previous years. Also, his defensive rotations are better.

Mood

Roy and JV weren't on the floor when Toronto built their 10 point lead. Number of points Bargs scored after Roy came on: 0. so, yes, dWest can guard bargs.

Roy did a good job last night on both ends of the co urt. Ian was a turnover machine who doesnzt command double yeamsor facilitate the offense.

Tyler seemed willing to not shoot every time he touched the ball, so that in itself is important. As usual his best asset is typically bulldozing his way to the free throw line.

Ian Mahimni had a really rough time holding onto the ball, I hope it was debut game jitters because his picks and defense is really solid

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Tyler seemed willing to not shoot every time he touched the ball, so that in itself is important. As usual his best asset is typically bulldozing his way to the free throw line.

Ian Mahimni had a really rough time holding onto the ball, I hope it was debut game jitters because his picks and defense is really solid
    I noticed a couple of times how lightning quick Ian was guarding the pick and roll. Something we have sorely needed.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

16. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Roy and JV weren't on the floor when Toronto built their 10 point lead. Number of points Bargs scored after Roy came on: 0. so, yes, dWest can guard bargs.

Roy did a good job last night on both ends of the co urt. Ian was a turnover machine who doesnzt command double yeamsor facilitate the offense.
    I posted the play-by-play so you didn't even have to dig it up yourself. I should have quoted it, I guess.

09:03
    [TOR 54-53]
    Valanciunas Layup Shot: Made (8 PTS)
    Hibbert Violation: Defensive Goaltending 09:03

08:38 Bargnani Running Layup Shot: Missed Block: Hibbert (4 BLK)
    Then they go on their run.

Then
    04:58 Valanciunas Foul: Personal (4 PF)
    04:58 Valanciunas Substitution replaced by Gray

Here's the biggest lead.
    04:01
    [TOR 67-57]
    Gray Layup Shot: Made (4 PTS) Assist: DeRozan (1 AST)
    And then
    Hibbert Substitution replaced by Mahinmi 02:26
    http://www.nba.com/games/20121031/IN...meinfo.html#Q4
    Last edited by Since86; 11-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I posted the play-by-play so you didn't even have to dig it up yourself. I should have quoted it, I guess.

Then they go on their run.

Then

Here's the biggest lead.

And then

http://www.nba.com/games/20121031/IN...meinfo.html#Q4
    I was talking about the 10 point lead later in the game that Toronto had with about 6 minutes left in the game when we all thought we were going to lose and then DWest went all gangster on them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    George Hill on that last play: "I'm goin rover coach"

Vogel: "Do not go rover George Hill stick with the play!"
    k
    Nlmx

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Skk

I thought this was one of the better games that Hansbrough has played in awhile ( dating back to last season of course ).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JEM For This Useful Post: