Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your line in the sand?

Default What's your line in the sand?

What will it take for this season to be either a success or a failure?

In other words what would it take for you to walk away from the season being very dissapointed or very happy?

Obviously a title would make everyone, well almost everyone, happy.

But what short of that will make you happy but don't stop there let me know what would make you shake your head in disgust as well.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's your line in the sand?

Very Happy - Get to ECF
    Disappointed - First round exit

...I'm content with anything in between

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Happy- A competitive ECF match. Top 2 seed

Disgusted- first round loss. 5th seed or lower.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Happy = making it to the ECF

Unhappy = losing in the 1st round

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

It would be nice to have a 50+ win season, but it isn't a necessity as long as we do good in the post-season. I think the second round is fair enough to be expected from this team and anything below that is a disappointment in my eyes.

I would shake my head in disgust if we go .500.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think taking the next step, reaching the ECF, will make it a successful season. Of course, falling short of a Championship will sting, but overall, I think just taking the next step will leave me with a good feeling. After this season, falling short will mean some pretty tough questions. Things like David West's expiring contract, Danny Granger's health, Paul George's emergence (or lack of), and probably more, will have to be answered. Of course, if we win it all, those questions get to be a lot easier to answer.

I think for this season to be a failure, we would have to do worse than last year. Anything less than a strong second round, 6 or 7 games, would be a definite failure. I would like to see us win the division as a flag-in-the-ground statement that we're a force to be reckoned with and we have returned to prominence. Not winning the division would be a disappointment, especially with DRose out.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Anything less than an ECF appearance.

I have predicted that I think Boston will be better but it would still be a disappointment if the Pacers lost. I've made my predictions, but I'm still crossing my fingers that certain players make improvements and cause the Pacers to go to the next level.

Can Roy get better?
    Can Paul make a huge jump?

I hope. (but doubt it)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

No reason for us not to be in the ECF. That would also make me happy enough. Anything less is disappointing. Unless we have one of those ultra-competitive seven game series with Boston in which half of each team is decimated.

Less than 50 wins and/or a first round exit would be disgusting.
    Last edited by rexnom; 10-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Very happy - a competitive ECF series OR a victory over a healthy Heat squad in the playoffs. Continued improvement from PG and/or Hibbert.

Disappointed - anything less than a very competitive 2nd round series (along with the above player improvement). Steps backward for PG, Hibbert, or Hill would not be great to see either.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Being knocked out by someone not named Boston or Miami and in an extremely competitive series would very much make me reevaluate the direction I want the franchise to go. Especially if it were a team like the Knicks. Even Boston would have me teetering.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

For me, I'm happy if they can exceed what they did last year. In short, an ECF appearance or higher. Anything less will be disappointing. They only made improvements in the offseason, so we should expect an improved outcome, right?

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Predicting the round doesn't really work, far too many variables. It's who they win/lose against, not when. We meet Miami in the 2nd round again and lose in 7 we're going to call that a disappointment?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

What would make me extremely happy? A Championship
    What would make me happy? A trip to the ECF
    What would make me satisfied ( while meeting expectations )? A very competitive 2nd Round Playoff appearance
    What would make me mildly satisfied ( but disappointed )? A loss in the 2nd Round of the Playoffs ( similar to how we played and lost in Game 4, 5 and 6 against the Heat )
    What would make me disappointed? A loss in the 1st round or worse
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Predicting the round doesn't really work, far too many variables. It's who they win/lose against, not when. We meet Miami in the 2nd round again and lose in 7 we're going to call that a disappointment?
    If we make it to a game 7 in the 2nd round...that would meant that we were competitive against an Elite Team. I am okay with this...cuz this means that we took the Champions to the brink of elimination in the 2nd round.

I expect that we should get back to where we were last season.....a 2nd round playoff berth is what I fully expect.....how we do in the 2nd round will show me how well or bad we do.

If we play like we played in Game 1 to 3 in the 2nd round of the Playoffs for an entire series against an Elite Team.....and even lose the Series....that's what I want ( at a minimum ). This shows that we are able to "hang with the big Boys" and be considered a true "2nd Tier" team.

But if we play like we played in Game 4 to 6 in the 2nd round of the Playoffs for an entire series against an Elite Team....where the Heat were able to show us that we were clearly not in the same league as an Elite Team.....then I'd be disappointed. This would show me that we are still "pretenders".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems that everyone agrees we should be aiming for ECF anything less is a disappointment
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

ECF or bust.

In perhaps a rather strange development, I'm finding this question difficult to answer.

You'd think there are obviously indicators as to what we should be looking for in terms of progress. Simply put, on an individual level our guys mostly live up to last year, but with a few notable jumps (maybe Paul and Roy to a slightly lesser degree). Then establish good chemistry, have a solidly over .500 year, and hopefully no less that a strong second round showing against an upper echelon EC foe.

However, I find myself just a little uneasy about this year for some reason. Yes, there just nervous energy and excitement to get the show on the road. Yet, there's this persistent sense I've got that this year will throw some growing pains and challenges at us that will test all our mettle.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, a lot of you guys will be disappointed if an ECF birth is what you're aiming for.

WHY?

I hope for a long and healthy season. I want consistency and good shot selection.

I need to see the bench not be a big gaping hole when it comes to scoring, especially when the starters have built a decent-sized lead. I need to see better post opportunities for our bigs. (Which will be there, no doubt.)

I want a focused Roy. We're paying him a lot of money.

I want to expect David West to sign a 1 or 2-year extension, because if he doesn't we have nothing for next year.

Paul George needs to step up. Less flash, more finish. No need to go into detail. He's supposed to be the best player out of his draft this year, according to "prophecy".

I want to see George Hill create more for Paul and Danny. Speaking of Danny, I don't want to see him lead the team in scoring. Not due to injury or production, but because of what I said about Paul George.

I hope that we take advantage of Derrick Rose's injury and not necessarily run away with the Central Division, but not put us in a position where we will just coast and we fall flat on our faces.

I want to see DJ Augustin take advantage of his new surroundings. I want higher assist numbers.

Ian Mahinmi is going to be the X-Factor on this team.

Tyler needs to finish at the rim. He gets to the foul line a TON. He's missed a lot of free-throws after getting fouled, and I'd like to see that number go up.

Gerald Green needs to be someone who can score at will if we need it. He'll be in late when we need a quick three, but I don't want his only skill to be his jumping ability.

Lance needs to get it out of his head that this is Rucker Park.

A failure would be to take what we did last year and expect it to be handed to us this year.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 10-30-2012 at 07:37 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Happy- world champions. After proving we can hang with Miami, nothing less is acceptable

unhappy- not winning a championship
    David "And One" West

Losing to anyone not named Miami or Boston in the playoffs is probably going to be a disappointment for me. (in the East at least, though I think if by some act of God we were able to get by Miami there is no reason we couldn't beat the Lakers or Thunder.)

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What will it take for this season to be either a success or a failure?

In other words what would it take for you to walk away from the season being very dissapointed or very happy?

Obviously a title would make everyone, well almost everyone, happy.

But what short of that will make you happy but don't stop there let me know what would make you shake your head in disgust as well.
    I think the best this group can do is wine 50+ games and win a round in the playoffs so I will be happy if they accomplish that. We need to add a starter and more important a star to move much more.

I won't be disgusted with them over anything but I would be disappointed if they slid back to 44 wins and 6th in the east and lost in the first round of the playoffs.....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Losing to anyone not named Miami or Boston in the playoffs is probably going to be a disappointment for me. (in the East at least, though I think if by some act of God we were able to get by Miami there is no reason we couldn't beat the Lakers or Thunder.)
    Usually you stay pretty solid but thinking the Pacers could beat the Lakers or the Thunder in the finals or even get there is way out there.....

very happy - we get the Heat to 6 games again. Only this time they are healthy and have no excuses. And of course that's at least round 2.

disgust - Danny's issues are serious, West takes a step back, bench struggles, PG and Hibbert are exactly the same players and we are a .500 team.

I guess I am expecting/hoping to advance to the ECF. I guess I am expecting/hoping the Pacers can and will beat any eastern conference team besides the Heat. If the pacers get to the ECF and lose to the Heat I will be OK.

But there are so many variables that could disrupt what I am expectiung and hoping for.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

ECF would be really happy making. That would also require the starters to stay healthy and the 2nd unit to gell quickly and become a unit that can score at least enough to keep the leads the starters get. It also requires the 2nd unit to bail out the Starters when they have let downs(and they will) Failing to make the playoffs would make me question the direction of the team. I really want to see the Ps win the Division whether or not DRose comes back. We must find a way to compete with the Bulls and Heat on a regular basis.