Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers keep Ben Hansbrough/Sam Young

Default Pacers keep Ben Hansbrough/Sam Young

Twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

Pacers are keeping guard Ben Hansbrough on a non-guaranteed contract.
    Sam Young was a front runner to stick around. It became a no brainer after watching Granger (knee) look uncomfortable at times vs Chicago
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Banned

Default Re: Pacers keep Ben Hansbrough/Sam Young

I like that they are keeping Ben.

Any chance we see Ben in the D-League? Seems like it wouldn't be a bad move for him to get consistent playing time.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

so Hill's out for the opener then

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so Hill's out for the opener then
    If he is, then someone should be fired for letting him play in the FanJam scrimmage.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

Wizards cut Shelvin Mack

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Any chance we see Ben in the D-League? Seems like it wouldn't be a bad move for him to get consistent playing time.
    We dont use the d-league

i am happy for hans making the team hopefully this sends a message to Tyler about hardwork.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    A better player for the Pacers to send to the D-League is Orlando Johnson. They signed him for 3 years, so they have something vested in him, and there's a good chance he won't get regular PT unless there's injuries. Send him to the D-League to get him 30 minutes a night.

As a Piston fan, I feel the same way about Khris Middleton, who may be in the same situation as Johnson.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Banned

They signed OJ for 3 years?

I would have much rather given Ben Hansbrough's spot to Terrence Williams or Flynn
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I would have much rather given Ben Hansbrough's spot to Terrence Williams or Flynn
    those dude's suck and have been bouncing around on the NBA with the word POTENTIAL.

sadly none of them will ever use it
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    They signed OJ for 3 years?
    4 years, last 2 years unguaranteed, same deal as Lance. It's a preemptive money move that could potentially be savvy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

4 years, last 2 years unguaranteed, same deal as Lance. It's a preemptive money move that could potentially be savvy.
    Wow.

According to shamsports, it's 3 (last year non-guaranteed). Semantics, I know.

IMO, that's the smartest move if you value a 2nd round draft pick, and more and more teams are doing it. If it works out, you get cheap value, plus the player becomes a restricted free agent with full bird rights, so the team can match any offer. The players that got 4 years (Blair, Budinger, Parsons, Stephenson, etc.) are unrestricted free agents and can go anywhere without their team being able to match.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    According to shamsports, it's 3 (last year non-guaranteed). Semantics, I know.

IMO, that's the smartest move if you value a 2nd round draft pick, and more and more teams are doing it. If it works out, you get cheap value, plus the player becomes a restricted free agent with full bird rights, so the team can match any offer. The players that got 4 years (Blair, Budinger, Parsons, Stephenson, etc.) are unrestricted free agents and can go anywhere without their team being able to match.
    you're right, it's 3. saw the qualifying offer and didn't think about it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    A better player for the Pacers to send to the D-League is Orlando Johnson. They signed him for 3 years, so they have something vested in him, and there's a good chance he won't get regular PT unless there's injuries. Send him to the D-League to get him 30 minutes a night.

As a Piston fan, I feel the same way about Khris Middleton, who may be in the same situation as Johnson.
    I quoted this because I didn't think simply "thanking" the post was enough.

I wish more people would understand the value of developing young talent like Orlando, rather than setting him on the bench for 82 games. Now, the D-League isn't perfect, but it makes more sense for a guy that you're locked into paying for 2 years and you clearly think has some potential then it does for a guy like Psycho B that likely won't be an important part of any team, although he could definitely prove me wrong.

Oh, and I don't see Orlando getting any PT, even with injuries. He's behind Hill/Augustin/Hansbrough(B)/Stephenson/George/Green in the rotation, and was a total black-hole in the Summer League/Preseason.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    We dont use the d-league

i am happy for hans making the team hopefully this sends a message to Tyler about hardwork.
    You're the first person I've ever seen question Tyler's work ethic. What makes you think that work ethic is his problem?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I quoted this because I didn't think simply "thanking" the post was enough.

I wish more people would understand the value of developing young talent like Orlando, rather than setting him on the bench for 82 games. Now, the D-League isn't perfect, but it makes more sense for a guy that you're locked into paying for 2 years and you clearly think has some potential then it does for a guy like Psycho B that likely won't be an important part of any team, although he could definitely prove me wrong.

Oh, and I don't see Orlando getting any PT, even with injuries. He's behind Hill/Augustin/Hansbrough(B)/Stephenson/George/Green in the rotation, and was a total black-hole in the Summer League/Preseason.
    D-League is so underrated for player development. If Gerald Green doesn't have that stint with the Defenders he probably never makes it back to the league.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    You're the first person I've ever seen question Tyler's work ethic. What makes you think that work ethic is his problem?
    Questioning the work ethic is not really correct in Tylers case.

However questioning what he chooses to work on certainly is worth questioning.

I know it goes against almost every thing I believe in but in Tyler's case he needs to stay out of the weight room & work instead with a shooting coach a foot movement coach & a low post coach.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure if it would work for them.

This is a glorified towel waver position & I would be stunned if he dressed for more than 5 games this year (barring injury) & he will be fine with that because he knows that he would not be in the NBA otherwise.

I'm not sure either of them would be happy in that role & would be more than likely a locker room distraction.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I find it remarkable how much smaller Ben is in comparison with Tyler. They do have the same dad or not?
    Look at the Plumlee brothers and how they all have almost the exact same height.

I'm glad for the little bro that he is now in the same place as his big brother and I already wonder who will last the longest.
    If you are that much smaller than your brother, you must have developed a tough and hardworking attitude.
    And for all the talk about Tyler being exactly like that, he doesn't seem to have gained much confidence in his jump shot nor significantly improved overall so far in the NBA.

Don't like they kept Ben.

I'd rather the Pacers wait till all the other teams have dropped players (especially pgs) and see if there was anything worth picking up. Of course they still can since Ben's deal is nonguaranteed.

Juan Johnson would be nice, but there's no room. Damn you Pendergraph for having a guaranteed deal!! What a dumb contract that was, but at least it was a dumb cheap contract. If he signs somewhere, I do hope the Pacers give him a look next season once Hans and Pends are off the books.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    We dont use the d-league.
    Please, for the love of all things holy, let this become past-tense.

Off the top of my head, I don't know how much Portland used the D-League under Pritch, but they did in at least one case to good effect (McRoberts.) I believe Vogel has voiced his opposition (a la Jimmy), but it infuriates me to no end that we've had this potentially very valuable resource for 5 years now and not come close to using it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Talent-wise, sure, but the team has a good group and at least in the case of TWill it seems silly to risk an attitude rocking the boat. I hate to be saying that, but that appears to be a legit concern with him. He's a top notch passer, but he really needs to be playing more of a point forward position with a shoot-first PG on the court. With Paul, Danny and Green here (and now Young) it seems excessive. TWill is a better passer, rebounder and defender than Sam, but he's not the scorer and is lacking in stability, something that seems to be a strong suit with Sam.

Ben isn't going to play anywhere the minutes of Price as far as I can see.

But I also don't think this is on behalf of Tyler or anything. In fact Tyler seems totally unaffected by Ben being on the squad. I think they should be judged independently, and Ben was a guy coming out of the draft that I liked as a 2nd round pick due to gamesmanship and a knack for handling tough spots. He seems like a player that can be better than his skill level in certain moments, which works well with a 4th string type of player.

Orlando 100% should go to the D-league. He's a scorer and needs to keep working on scoring moves and staying fresh. Practice with the Pacers might challenge his defense a little (due to better athletes) but I don't think it will provide him enough scoring reps at game speed.

I LOVE SAM YOUNG. He's not a starter, but barring continued shooting woes from last year he could be a nice contributor off the bench. I love when the team gets to at least look at players I wanted them to steal later in the draft the first time around.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 10-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

J7F

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    a foot movement coach & a low post coach.
    He seriously needs a ballet coach or something. His footwork, balance and overall post moves are just terrible. He's got energy and burst obviously, so if he had 4-5 moves that he could perform with smooth footwork he could go to town on people. And then if you could get that mid-jumper up to Haslem-make rates you'd have a guy that could offset what he gives up in size/tough boards.

But right now he's almost helpless with the ball underneath, his only out being a possible foul call.

Of course as I've said about him and about many other players/people, you can't realistically expect people to drastically change their games. A guy like Hibbert is pushing the limit IMO, his change is what I'd consider dramatic, and he still looks sort of like the awkward, not-always-confident Georgetown player who seemed probable to not hang in the NBA due to coordination and quickness.

Just the fact that he's gotten smoother (but not quite smooth) and tougher (but still sometimes gets in his own head) is a testament to the enormous work he's put in to change his game. You can't expect guys to develop smooth lefty hooks, etc on a regular basis.

For Tyler to find a West-like post game this late in his career it would take an incredible change in how his brain and body react to the game, something he just spent 15-20 years developing.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: