Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

  1. #1

    Default Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...iew/index.html

    I'm not going to paste this 2 page preview, because there is absolutely no mention of the Indiana Pacers. Unless i'm not reading correctly. 2 pages and Indiana doesnt even register a small blurb. We couldnt even get a " Miles Plumlee LULZ " in there.

    Does this bother anyone else? Ian Thomsen is one of SI's main NBA writers, if not THE main writer. It's honestly beyond disrespect. It's basically not doing your job. You write a preview and dont mention one of the best teams in the East?

    And between this and Israel Guiteriez covering the Eastern Conference for ESPN now, you can really start to understand why Indiana gets no respect at all. Israel Guteriez is a major Pacer hater. I'm probably going to post links and quotes in this thread later to back this up. I've had ESPN insider and it's really appalling how he goes out of his way to blow Indiana off in a lot of recent articles dating back to last year. It's also brain numbingly glaring how much he has no clue about the Pacers. He was on sports reporters last year, literally having no clue about how good Indiana was. You could tell that he had probably never seen a Pacer game outside of Pacers vs Heat, because...wait for it...he covers the Heat. Which is why he covers the Eastern Conference now. Guess who covers the Western Conference this year....J.A Andande. Guess which team he cover. LAKEEEE SHOW! Do you see a trend here guys? Can you guess which teams ESPN would love to build up for a NBA finals matchup?

    This is sports media folks. It's a rigged game. There's no money covering really awesome small market teams. Whens the last time you heard about how fantastic the Spurs dynasty was? Whens the last time you heard Tim Duncans name come up in Greatest of All Time discussion, or any discussion for that matter?

    Covering the NBA has become a game in it's own. ESPN has become the puppet master. Dwight Howard was being pushed towards the Lakers four years ago. Deron Williams was being pushed to a major market four years ago. Utah smartened up and shipped him because they knew the game. ESPN starts in early on these guys and then by the time they get to the last year of there contract, not only have they enabled them to make The Decision to spurn loyalty and money to play under the spotlight, but they've empowered them too. Because it's not the wrong decision, when the biggest sports conglomerate in the world has been saying it's right for the last four years. It's also borderline if not a flat out monopoly. They controll a major chunk of the games that will be put on prime time television. They controll who to promote and who not to promote. Does anyone actually think TNT would sit back and say " You know what, we see whats going on here and we're gunna start airing a steady dose of Bucks, Hawks and Pacer games ". Yah...No.

    Roy Hibbert was a big deal and was all over ESPN last year and now he's with the Pacers four more years and he cant even crack a list of 13 best big men in the league ( top 10 and 3 more to " watch " ). Marc Gasol feels his pain in Memphis . They're only All Star centers. Of course theres 13 other centers in the league that are better than them right??? AM I RIGHT GUYS? Can anyone say with a straight face that if these two guys played in NY and LA , they wouldnt be in that top 10???

    Oh and hey, we might not want Paul George to blow up too quickly, because believe me, the countdown clock will start on ESPN. Chris Brousard will be taken out of the tool box, sat in front of the camera and tell us, with a **** eating grin on his face, that Paul George will be playing for the Lakers in 2016.

    It kind of feels like when I was a kid and I learned wrestling was fake.

    GO Basketball! * Chair shot to my head *

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,158
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Didn't read the article but your rant was spot on.... I totally agree with you.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )


  6. #4
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    There is a solution of course: stop watching ESPN (Sportscenter at least). I do read some of the web articles and of course I watch games and highlights, but that's about it.

    I feel the frustration though, it's hard to argue with most of what you said.

  7. #5
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,445

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Wait....wrestling is fake?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    There's a Pacers blog on the ESPN blog network, the Pacers have their own website with a ton of coverage, they've been routinely predicted to finish in the top half of the Eastern conference by most sane observers. Paul George was one of the most discussed players during the off season. Not to mention all the local coverage. The Pacers, relative to almost every other professional sports team on planet Earth, receive a TON of attention and coverage. Do the Pacers get as much attention as the Lakers or Knicks? No, and they shouldn't. Things that happen in New York and LA get more attention.

    And truthfully, why does anyone care if the Pacers get a couple extra minutes on Sportscenter? It doesn't get us any closer to a championship.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a Pacers blog on the ESPN blog network, the Pacers have their own website with a ton of coverage, they've been routinely predicted to finish in the top half of the Eastern conference by most sane observers. Paul George was one of the most discussed players during the off season. Not to mention all the local coverage. The Pacers, relative to almost every other professional sports team on planet Earth, receive a TON of attention and coverage. Do the Pacers get as much attention as the Lakers or Knicks? No, and they shouldn't. Things that happen in New York and LA get more attention.

    And truthfully, why does anyone care if the Pacers get a couple extra minutes on Sportscenter? It doesn't get us any closer to a championship.
    Come on man. It's frustrating to read this type of stuff and then read that the Pacers didn't really upgrade our weak bench. Part f the joy of fandom is reading informed opinions, good or bad, about your team. That's why I have taken to reading Odd Thoughts and 8p9s more often than the mainstream stuff, even when they are both very harsh.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,907

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on man. It's frustrating to read this type of stuff and then read that the Pacers didn't really upgrade our weak bench. Part f the joy of fandom is reading informed opinions, good or bad, about your team. That's why I have taken to reading Odd Thoughts and 8p9s more often than the mainstream stuff, even when they are both very harsh.

    If you make a NBA season preview and just dont mention some of the best teams... you simply aren't doing the job you say you are doing ... reviewing the NBA! Aren't the Pacers part of the NBA? Don't they have one of the best teams?

    And why shouldn't the Pacers get as much attention or more if they have a REALLY good team and say the Knicks have an average at best team? It's about the best teams... right?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  14. #9

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a Pacers blog on the ESPN blog network, the Pacers have their own website with a ton of coverage, they've been routinely predicted to finish in the top half of the Eastern conference by most sane observers. Paul George was one of the most discussed players during the off season. Not to mention all the local coverage. The Pacers, relative to almost every other professional sports team on planet Earth, receive a TON of attention and coverage. Do the Pacers get as much attention as the Lakers or Knicks? No, and they shouldn't. Things that happen in New York and LA get more attention.

    And truthfully, why does anyone care if the Pacers get a couple extra minutes on Sportscenter? It doesn't get us any closer to a championship.
    I didnt mention anything about the Pacers being on SportsCenter. You completely ignored my points.

  15. #10
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    No one cared about the Pistons until they traded for 'Sheed and went on to beat the Lakers. The NBA is built on stars, and, like it or not, the Pacers don't have one. It's going to take a lot more than winning a playoff series against a Howardless Magic team to get casual national fans to care about this team.

    As for Sportscenter, Gerald Green will get us on there plenty this year.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  16. #11
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    I stopped watching ESPN a few years ago. Got sick of them slurping up stars.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  17. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    So SI was "the best side ever" yesterday when they rated the Pacers at #2 but now SI sucks? OK.....

  18. #13

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

    Even men who think Jason Kidd can be sixth man of the year.

  19. #14
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,907

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So SI was "the best side ever" yesterday when they rated the Pacers at #2 but now SI sucks? OK.....
    When they do a "NBA season review" and leave one of the best teams in the eastern confernece out of it... and I mean COMPLETELY out of it... you are simply not doing what you are claiming to do and it's not ALL of SI that sucks, but it's definitely Thomsen who is ONE of the writers for SI, who if you look at his projections has a pretty big hard on for big market teams.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  20. #15

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So SI was "the best side ever" yesterday when they rated the Pacers at #2 but now SI sucks? OK.....
    The only thing more absurd than this post is the fact that a few people thanked you for it. I'm assuming by side you mean site as in " website ". Not only have i never said that, nor has many others on this board said that, but I didnt even make a reply in that thread. Furthermore, there was no opinion given on SI as a website. The opinion, was pointed toward Ian Tompsen. And given that it lasted all of 3 sentences before i started in on ESPN, one has to wonder how you managed to pick only that small segment of a post to come up with such an ill-conceived reply.

    In other words. Either you have no clue what you're talking about right now, or you just like the idea of you typing things on the internet.

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  22. #16

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing more absurd than this post is the fact that a few people thanked you for it. I'm assuming by side you mean site as in " website ". Not only have i never said that, nor has many others on this board said that, but I didnt even make a reply in that thread. Furthermore, there was no opinion given on SI as a website. The opinion, was pointed toward Ian Tompsen. And given that it lasted all of 3 sentences before i started in on ESPN, one has to wonder how you managed to pick only that small segment of a post to come up with such an ill-conceived reply.

    In other words. Either you have no clue what you're talking about right now, or you just like the idea of you typing things on the internet.
    It's this person rhetoric. He's constantly on one side of the debate/discussion/issue and then he'll carefully pick out selective sentences or completely make up something, basically saying, " SEE, SEE you guys are homers, wearing your blue and gold glasses." Somehow, he's the "impartial" poster that just so happens to know everything the Pacers are doing wrong, but just can't figure what the Pacers should do right.

  23. #17

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on man. It's frustrating to read this type of stuff and then read that the Pacers didn't really upgrade our weak bench. Part f the joy of fandom is reading informed opinions, good or bad, about your team. That's why I have taken to reading Odd Thoughts and 8p9s more often than the mainstream stuff, even when they are both very harsh.
    This was my point though. There's so much great Pacer news and opinion on the internet, why are people flipping out that we didn't get a mention in a mini-blog post on SI.com. The Pacers get plenty of attention, and will continue to get plenty of attention if they play well this season.

    Just generally, (not directed at you Rex), I want to say that SI doesn't hate the Pacers. The mainstream media doesn't hate the Pacers. The Pacers don't generate the traffic that warrants any more coverage than they get right now.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  25. #18

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didnt mention anything about the Pacers being on SportsCenter. You completely ignored my points.
    So what is your point? That the Pacers don't get as much media attention as the Lakers? So what?

  26. #19

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what is your point? That the Pacers don't get as much media attention as the Lakers? So what?
    My point isnt about getting attention. It's about getting borderline disrespected.

  27. #20

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point isnt about getting attention. It's about getting borderline disrespected.
    Borderline disrespected might be overstating it. The title of the article was "A 5 Minute Guide to the 2012-2013 Season" and I'm guessing he spent about that long writing it. There's mountains of analysis about the Pacers on mainstream sites out there and you cherry pick one tiny oversight as a sign of disrespect. This kind of petty insult counting is one of the things that I dislike about small market fans.

    Not to mention that the same Ian Thomsen wrote a very laudatory article about the Pacers in the middle of last season: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ers/index.html

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  29. #21

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Lets be realistic here. It's not a 5 minute guide. Thats just a title. It's a two page write-up ( which is sometimes rare with SI writers unless they're name is Peter King ). And I dunno, no mention of what many assume to be the 2nd best team in the East, doesnt seem like just a tiny oversight to me.

  30. #22
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ian Thomsen NBA Season preview ( and me ranting )

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So SI was "the best side ever" yesterday when they rated the Pacers at #2 but now SI sucks? OK.....
    If there is ever a forum award for "Strawman poster of the year", you are certain win by a landslide.

  31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. NBA Season Preview
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 10:57 PM
  2. Season Preview: The Team
    By Pacers#1Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
  3. Pacers Season Preview
    By SlamSally in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 11:55 PM
  4. Just venting and ranting and raving...
    By Stryder in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •