Thread: Anonymous Scout on Pacers - Finally a non-media view!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anonymous Scout on Pacers - Finally a non-media view!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...iew/index.html

Lots of goodies here...

I hope they fall on their face because they're scary. They have a big, tall frontcourt, a tall backcourt and great depth. They are going to pound you inside and get after you defensively. They can do it all. They have all the pieces to beat any team in the Eastern Conference, including Miami.

David West was a big part of their success last year. He's a shot maker at power forward, and that helps make them a great half-court team. From 15-17 feet, he's as good as they get. They run those little pick-and-pops for him at the top of the key, at the elbow, and he is money. He gives you one escape dribble, and you can't stop that jump shot. He never overexerts and he is always in control. You can't anticipate his timing shooting off the dribble. He gets that shot off so quickly. You get him in his range and it's game over.

My only question with West [who is 32 and didn't miss a game last season after coming back from ACL surgery] is if his body will hold up. Can he stay away from injuries and do it again? The season got long on him. I think he got frustrated a little in the second round of the playoffs against Miami. He played through it, but his body looked worn down. He's a leader, though. I can recall him grabbing some of his teammates when they were doing things wrong and straightening them out. He's like Kevin Garnett in that respect.

Roy Hibbert also emerged as one of the leaders. When he played well, this team was unbeatable. It wasn't always because of scoring. He filled in gaps, protected the basket and rebounded well. When you have someone like Hibbert who can guard a big man in the post without a double team, it makes life so much easier. You are not worried about rotations. It's still tough for Hibbert when teams try to make him come out and guard pick-and-rolls. But you live with that because he has become so good at individual defense in the paint.

Offensively, Hibbert showed great touch last season. He was able to hit face-up jump shots. His offensive rebounding was big for them, too. He can grab an offensive rebound and "quick" it in, just lay it right up, instead of having to catch, collect and then dunk. He doesn't let the defense come and get him. A lot of big men have to pull it down, so you foul them and force them to shoot free throws. But Hibbert gets the ball back up to the rim before you get a chance.

The pressure on Danny Granger to be the No. 1 option got to him. I think he felt he needed to be their leading scorer, but they are deep enough that he shouldn't have to feel that way. He had some dreadful shooting nights against Miami in the playoffs. What he has to do is make open jump shots, defend on the perimeter and not turn the ball over, which he was better at last season. I don't think he will ever be their primary option. West is their go-to player, not Granger, because he will make the play if he doesn't have the shot. Playing two-man game with West and Granger is a great option for them.

Paul George is the biggest question mark in the starting lineup. He has to develop a pull-up shot. He can catch and shoot from distance or attack the basket, but he has to get better at handling it on pick-and-rolls and be able to pull up off the dribble. I think he can. With his size and his length, [he might think] why pull up when I can just dunk on people? He's a good defender with that length. He has the athleticism to chase people off screens and be a stopper. Experience will help him as far as being in control a little more.

George Hill fits coach Frank Vogel's system better than Darren Collison [who was traded to Dallas in the offseason]. Hill is more of an execution point guard. Last year they wanted to make sure they got ball movement, so they started him late in the season over Collison, who has a good motor in transition. Some teams try to speed up the game. Some know they are going to have to execute in the half court to be successful, and that's what Indiana was looking to do. I'm sure they went back and forth on that. To win in May and June, you have to be able to execute and score from your sets, and Hill is better with that.
    [New backup point guard] D.J. Augustin and Collison are pretty much the same thing. Augustin can push the tempo, though he's not as much as of a freelance, off-the-wall runner as Collison. He's a little more of a point guard, but not much. Charlotte had all kinds of problems last year and he got caught up in it. He got beat up mentally.

I've never been a fan of Gerald Green's. I was as surprised as anyone that he came back [to the NBA after being in the D-League] more in control last season with the Nets. But I'm still not convinced. In Indiana, expectations are higher and mistakes are not going to be tolerated. And he plays sloppy.

Tyler Hansbrough is a bull in a china shop. He's a black hole: If he gets it, it's going up. You can't play him at center long minutes and I don't know if he can be more than a 20-minute-per-game backup big man. But he can score, and he gets to the free-throw line. It makes him a good backup for West.

The Pacers play 10 guys -- Ian Mahinmi will be part of that mix, too, as a backup big man who can finish and rebound -- which is fine in the regular season. But when it gets down to it, they are going to have to go with seven or eight. How to shorten the rotation will be one of coach Frank Vogel's challenges.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2AKuds5Sq
    Enjoy!

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Anonymous Scout on Pacers - Finally a non-media view!

Question: has NBATV done their season preview yet on the Pacers. Seems like they have done almost every other team, but I have not seen their pacers preview. NBATV secret scout is very annoying. The way the disgiuse his voice, I mean if you have to go to that extrme, then just forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: has NBATV done their season preview yet on the Pacers. Seems like they have done almost every other team, but I have not seen their pacers preview. NBATV secret scout is very annoying. The way the disgiuse his voice, I mean if you have to go to that extrme, then just forget.
    Yep I happened to catch the end of it about a week back. I can't remember all that was said, but I remember they didn't think we had the slightest of chances against Miami. And yes, that secret voice was awful. Couldn't understand any of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Frank will never play exclusively just 8 players, even in the playoffs, but if he comes close the solution seems rather obvious (health, fouls, endurance permitting): Bench Lance and Tyler. Hill/DJ, wings Paul, Danny, Gerald, bigs West, Roy, Ian.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Frank will never play exclusively just 8 players, even in the playoffs, but if he comes close the solution seems rather obvious (health, fouls, endurance permitting): Bench Lance and Tyler. Hill/DJ, wings Paul, Danny, Gerald, bigs West, Roy, Ian.
    Yeah, I don't get how much is up in the air regarding the ideal rotation.

Assuming no one surprises either negatively or positively, you'd have to expect Hill/DJ share the 1, PG/Danny/Gerald share the 2/3, Roy/David/Ian the 4/5. Unless people are thinking West will wear down/Mahinmi foul everything that moves and Tyler plays, I just don't see a ton of minutes available, at least come playoff time.

I agree that FV will probably not use a 8 man rotation for at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the season. Playoffs? Maybe a 9 man rotation for most of the game with the bulk closing minutes going to the starters or whoever is hot at the time. I expect the 4 man big rotation of Roy, Ian, West and Hans for at least the first 1/3 of the season. Plumlee will get some spot minutes along with Pendergraft. I see the bulk of the wing minutes going to George, Granger and Green with some spot time for Young. How much time Lance will play probably depends on whether Frank wants him at PG or SG, but if DJA steps up I see very little Lance time unless he really makes some strides early in the year?

Mood

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...com&highlight=
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I do agree. I think even if Lance plays well, that Vogel should shorten the rotation in the playoffs, especially if our starting five is among the tops in the league again. Anything that includes not playing Hans is a win to me. Ian has proven he can play both PF and C. I like that dude!
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I do agree. I think even if Lance plays well, that Vogel should shorten the rotation in the playoffs, especially if our starting five is among the tops in the league again. Anything that includes not playing Hans is a win to me. Ian has proven he can play both PF and C. I like that dude!
    A frontline of Ian and Roy will be tough to score on in the paint, and then it'll be hard to keep those guys off the boards. If Mahinmi learns to not foul so much, then our frontline is extremely versatile (because we would have the option of putting Danny at the 4 as well)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gerald Green hasnt looked sloppy in the pre season.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    I was wondering where he was getting that from. If he's been sloppy, it must be something less than obvious because he hasn't struck me that way in the 3 games I've gotten to watch him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    I doubt scout's glean much from preseason, and I doubt they paid much attention the Nets when Green was getting his chance either to be honest. Probably still just his rep in the "inner circles." He's look really under control to me too, the anonymous scout'll learn.

Watching the secret scout makes me feel dirty. Almost like I'm watching a soap opera for dudes.

Sports Logo

It's on at 9pm PDT tonight....I assume at 12am EDT on NBATV.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

This preview is something that could have been written before the training camp and preseason....it tells me nothing that couldn't have been gleamed from watching ESPN Sportscenter Highlights....nothing really in-depth. In fact, I'd argue that anyone here could write a better preview of the Pacers than this guy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I doubt scout's glean much from preseason, and I doubt they paid much attention the Nets when Green was getting his chance either to be honest. Probably still just his rep in the "inner circles." He's look really under control to me too, the anonymous scout'll learn.
    I agree. Green's demeanor is outstanding, aggressive but not too dominating of the ball. He's showing defensive effort. He's a great match for this group and you'd have to think the environment of player personalities in regards to teamwork, responsibility and effort is a pretty positive one.

You have to cross West, Roy and Hill at this point (in terms of strong personalities), and Granger has always seemed like an eager worker even if he is off/on outgoing about it. In other words, if you are acting up or disgruntled I just don't see a sympathetic ear in this locker room. Even Young and Mahinmi appear to be pretty businesslike in their approach to the game.

I think when guys get with a group/situation where people have a vision and expect to play high quality ball every night, they pick up on it and find it more satisfying. Certainly there are those who are too selfish to fit in, but a guy who dug his career out of a pit wouldn't seem like a likely candidate for that.

I think this scout is making the mistake a lot of us made a few months ago - underestimating the quality of GG and Ian's games.

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think the analysis there is pretty fair, even at his best last year, he still turned it over 2.5 times per 36 (which seeing as he's not creating for others/racking up assists is a bit high). He tends to get in a bit of trouble with the ball when you isolate him and try to have him create. Green's at his best when he's running off screens, spotting up, posting up, and running the wings in transition. I think there's a temptation to give him the ball and tell him to go score due to his ability to shoot the ball and his athleticism, but that's really never been a strength for him (this was at it's worst in Minnesota), mainly because his handles can be sloppy at times.

I'm as big of a Green supporter as there is, but I can entirely understand being cautious with expectations for him. I think he's a guy who can absolutely succeed if he's used correctly, but he has a history of being asked to do too much and turning it over too much in the process. So far from what I've seen in preseason, it looks like Vogul has a pretty good idea of what his strengths are offensively, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he fits in with this offense.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like what I've seen too, but I can't help but think that it was only pre-season. GG and Ian may come out during the regular season and be pretty underwhelming against real starters in real games. Hope not.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.