Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 103

Thread: Stern to retire

  1. #26
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,201
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Shame it wasn't 27 years ago!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,695

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    I'll always remember his game-winning dunk over Chris Paul.


  4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,876
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that franchise in Vancover did splendid, so there's no need for criticism.
    Ya and when he took over NBA Playoffs were tape delayed and the league was heading in the wrong direction. Now the preseason is live and did you see the deal the Lakers just did with Time Warner?

    but yes he was terrible

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  7. #29

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    So, does Chris Paul get to suit up for the Lakers on Feb. 2nd?

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that franchise in Vancover did splendid, so there's no need for criticism.

    Expanding to Canada was an bad idea. It created two undesirable franchises. The Grizzlies lasted a whopping six seasons before jetting out of there. The Raptors have survived, but they are an undesirable destination. They have made the playoffs just 5 times in 17 years, and have won just one playoff series in that time span. For the most part, they have been a perpetually bad team.

    Also, creating the Bobcats a mere two years after the Hornets left was completely unnecessary.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  11. #31
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya and when he took over NBA Playoffs were tape delayed and the league was heading in the wrong direction. Now the preseason is live and did you see the deal the Lakers just did with Time Warner?

    but yes he was terrible
    So we'd still be watching on delay if it weren't for Stern? Not a single other soul would have had that light bulb go off?

    No major sport in this day in age would ever be on tape delay. Showing stuff live is just part of a natural progression.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #32
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Expanding to Canada was an bad idea. It created two undesirable franchises. The Grizzlies lasted a whopping six seasons before jetting out of there. The Raptors have survived, but they are an undesirable destination. They have made the playoffs just 5 times in 17 years, and have won just one playoff series in that time span. For the most part, they have been a perpetually bad team.

    Also, creating the Bobcats a mere two years after the Hornets left was completely unnecessary.
    The Raptors haven't made the playoffs because they've been terribly run. In 17 years they've had Bosh, Carter, and McGrady. That's at least 2 bona fide superstars, 3 by my definition.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  15. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,876
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we'd still be watching on delay if it weren't for Stern? Not a single other soul would have had that light bulb go off?

    No major sport in this day in age would ever be on tape delay. Showing stuff live is just part of a natural progression.
    Thats a fair point I believe baseball games were live then and who's to say anyone could of got the TV deals that the NBA has now. Stern has done a great job of maketing the product and like it or not marketing stars which is what sells and what makes the league money.

    I mean when he took over attendance was awful. Atlanta (7,139), Chicago (6,365), Cleveland (5,075) and Washington (7,920). Now the worst team in the league is double most of those. He took over a league that was in bad shape and now is thriving. Who knows if others could of done it but im sure Herb Simon is glad he bought the team for 10m and now the team is worth much much more.


    The Raptors actually do very well that city really supports the team and I consider TOR a good basketball town. The main issue is that players dont like paying the taxs there and all the traveling issues so if they arent winning players wont want to be there. If they built a better team around Bosh who is to say he wouldnt of stayed? I mean an aging JO is all they could do?

    I do agree you could tweak the system to make them more desirable $$ wise however with the visa issues you really cant do much about.

    I just cant see a reason the owners could even gripe about the guy who made them so much $$

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  17. #34
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,186
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    The greatest thing he did was take games off tape delay, and get things on prime-time, but main reasons for that were Celtics/Lakers finals, and Michael Jordan. He got blessed with the most popular player in NBA history months after he took over. He did some good things, he did some very bad things (Bobcats, New Orleans Hornets, Vancouver, Toronto come to mind) but overall he was good and will probably be missed.

    His first 15 years or so (before the first lockout and after MJ retired with Bulls) were excellent, after that its been not that great.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  19. #35
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    The Raptors and the Grizzlies (when they played in Vancouver) should not go hand in hand. The Raptors have a solid fanbase, while the Grizzlies didn't.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  21. #36
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    I will say Stern helped turn basketball into what it is today. One of the most followed and played sports in the whole world. It's easily become second to football in North America.

    However, it is definitely time for a change at commissioner and Silver seems like a very good choice.
    Last edited by Trophy; 10-25-2012 at 04:56 PM.

  22. #37
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    I do think the time has come so to speak, but I'll admit it, I'll miss Stern being a cocky SOB. I'm sure some (most) hated it, but it always made me chuckle. C'mon, when he got booed at the draft he gave em the Hulk Hogan I can't hear you hand motion.

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  24. #38
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,695

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    C'mon, when he got booed at the draft he gave em the Hulk Hogan I can't hear you hand motion.
    The fans at MSG booing Stern and cheering Silver is the best part of the NBA year (if your team doesn't win a championship).

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  26. #39
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Find me another commish that can go to Rucker and rock a Terror Squad chain


  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  28. #40
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya and when he took over NBA Playoffs were tape delayed and the league was heading in the wrong direction. Now the preseason is live and did you see the deal the Lakers just did with Time Warner?

    but yes he was terrible
    I don't think Stern was nearly as good as some of you believe, but I wasn't arguing against any of that. You said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really I cant think of anything he has done that warrants bashing at all.
    His over expansion of the league is a definite point of criticism, and one that is pretty big considering the financial struggles of the NBA right now. Leaders get credit for the good and the bad. Two lockouts in 15 years is a pretty big deal.

    EDIT: Guess I should have just read the rest of the thread to see Sollozzo's post.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-25-2012 at 05:31 PM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  30. #41
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean when he took over attendance was awful. Atlanta (7,139), Chicago (6,365), Cleveland (5,075) and Washington (7,920). Now the worst team in the league is double most of those. He took over a league that was in bad shape and now is thriving. Who knows if others could of done it but im sure Herb Simon is glad he bought the team for 10m and now the team is worth much much more.
    The NBA is thriving? The NFL is thriving. Their lockout was about how to split the massive money pie fairly between parties. The NBA's lockout is because teams are bleeding money like crazy. I mean, we talk about the chances of the Pacers moving mutliple times a year, every year.

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  32. #42
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA is thriving? The NFL is thriving. Their lockout was about how to split the massive money pie fairly between parties. The NBA's lockout is because teams are bleeding money like crazy. I mean, we talk about the chances of the Pacers moving mutliple times a year, every year.
    What are you talking about?

    You're also pretty much saying the NBA is at the lowest level in North American leagues. The NBA and basketball has become easily the second watched and played sport in North America behind football and it's expanded greatly internationally.

    In addition, if any league over expanded itself it's the NHL and possibly the MLB. For the most part, NBA teams have developed fan bases. Hockey is appreciated mainly by Canadians, so placing teams in random cities/areas in the U.S. is not very smart. In the MLB, a hand full of teams wind up with stadiums half filled because they haven't been anywhere in over a decade.
    Last edited by Trophy; 10-25-2012 at 05:38 PM.

  33. #43
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are you talking about?

    You're also pretty much saying the NBA is at the lowest level in North American leagues. The NBA and basketball has become easily the second watched and played sport in North America behind football and it's expanded greatly internationally.

    In addition, if any league over expanded itself it's the NHL and possibly the MLB. For the most part, NBA teams have developed fan bases. Hockey is appreciated mainly by Canadians, so placing teams in random cities/areas in the U.S. is not very smart. In the MLB, a hand full of teams wind up with stadiums half filled because they haven't been anywhere in over a decade.
    The idea that the Pacers moving to Las Vegas or anywhere else is discussed quite often around here.

    I'm not saying it's the lowest league in NA. I'm simply stating facts. There was a lockout in 99 and last year. Both of those were due to CBA deals and the revenue split. Both times the NBA said about half of the teams were losing money. The NBA was struggling financially both times, and had lost games as a result. Some lockouts are strategic, like the NFL lockout. Some lockouts are just terrible situations. Both NBA lockouts were due to bad financial situations.

    You can't talk about all the good things Stern did for the game, while ignoring that the NBA is struggling mightly financially. If your product can't make money then how good were the decisions you made? Surely deciding to add two more teams to a league that was already struggling to support the teams they had was a bad idea.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-25-2012 at 05:53 PM.

  34. #44
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes people need to quit pissing in my cornflakes.
    My bad.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  36. #45
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    27 years late.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  37. #46

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    I still support the dress code.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:


  39. #47

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Anybody who watched Basketball in the 90s knows that this NBA is not thriving compared to what it could be. Hell their profitability is so low there was an argument over whether or not they even made money.

    The problem was Stern had built a league where stars dominated. And every team had a star. But then he went and expanded the NBA to make it harder for teams to find stars. And while its not his fault, he oversaw the NBA where Stars decided to collude and instead of 3 teams having a star, they just go to one team. Leaving two fanbases disillusioned without any hope of winning till they find a new star

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  41. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,876
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody who watched Basketball in the 90s knows that this NBA is not thriving compared to what it could be. Hell their profitability is so low there was an argument over whether or not they even made money.

    The problem was Stern had built a league where stars dominated. And every team had a star. But then he went and expanded the NBA to make it harder for teams to find stars. And while its not his fault, he oversaw the NBA where Stars decided to collude and instead of 3 teams having a star, they just go to one team. Leaving two fanbases disillusioned without any hope of winning till they find a new star
    we are in one of the worst economic times ever and the league is still growing thats a hell of an accomplishment.



    Stars dominating isnt a problem that is what sells to the casual fan and that's what gets ratings. The way the NBA is run is a very smart way where they make a lot of money. But it's not Stern's fault players want to team up you cant do anything about it however im sure he doesnt mind. Like it or not the league took off because of Bird and his star teammates vs Magic and his star teammates and the league has always done best when that happens. If OKC and Durant develops a real rivalry vs LBJ in the next couple years the league will be even stronger. That is the nature of the league and thats smart to market the league in that manner so you grow the league which benefits everyone.

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  43. #49

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we are in one of the worst economic times ever and the league is still growing thats a hell of an accomplishment.



    Stars dominating isnt a problem that is what sells to the casual fan and that's what gets ratings. The way the NBA is run is a very smart way where they make a lot of money. But it's not Stern's fault players want to team up you cant do anything about it however im sure he doesnt mind. Like it or not the league took off because of Bird and his star teammates vs Magic and his star teammates and the league has always done best when that happens. If OKC and Durant develops a real rivalry vs LBJ in the next couple years the league will be even stronger. That is the nature of the league and thats smart to market the league in that manner so you grow the league which benefits everyone.
    Yep the league is so strong financially that they had to have a lockout less than a year ago

  44. #50
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stern to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep the league is so strong financially that they had to have a lockout less than a year ago
    NFL.

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Sources: Stern to announce he'll retire in 2014 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  2. David Stern: Stern: NBA wants player salaries cut by a third [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM
  4. Armstrong having too much fun to retire
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2006, 08:27 PM
  5. JYD to retire??
    By Isaac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •