Page 80 of 178 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

  1. #1976
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has been a bad defender since 2008, at least.

    It's not that he cannot do it. He can but he just doesn't care and watches his man to cut to the rim while he doesn't even move. He is conserving energy in order to play offense.

    His last 3-4 All-Defense team awards have been a joke.
    Now that's not true. The competitor that Kobe is, it's not that he doesn't care. I think as Sookie pointed out before, he's only got so much energy to expend at his age. Now more than ever the Lakers need him to score and score big most nights. To say he doesn't care enough about defense is sort of a slap in the face to one of the all time great competitors.

    The fact that they're putting him on the other teams best offensive threat (at the guard position) EVERY GAME is crazy. When you've been playing that long, it's almost impossible to do both.

    As an example, KG's scoring has been way down when compared to his years in MIN. Why? B/c he's utilizing that energy defensively (although now he's relegated to holding, bumping, forearms, etc)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  3. #1977
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the highlighted part, it would be nice if Utah wanted to send us Millsap for Danny too bad they are not that stupid.
    That would free up space for Kanter and Favors so it could easily benefit them in the long run. I can certainly see several Utah Fans being "that stupid"
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  4. #1978
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean that's kind of my point. Danny is number 4 on this list, who is going to give us a young PF or young PG worth Danny? Probably not many teams, it's not a great matchup, but it is lazy journalism.
    Maybe by "young" he means under 28 years of age? I don't think he is talking about players in rookie deals, I think he is talking about players like Millsap, Big Baby, etc.

    I can tell you that Danny for Millsap+M Williams works in paper, Danny+ Tyler for Big baby+ Hedo also works.

  5. #1979
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would free up space for Kanter and Favors so it could easily benefit them in the long run. I can certainly see several Utah Fans being "that stupid"
    I don't know how the numbers work, but that wouldn't be the worst trade in the world for either team. Tyler becomes expendable and we can try to get another bit asset/bench player for him. Maybe Charlotte is "that stupid" and would give us something for him.

  6. #1980
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe by "young" he means under 28 years of age? I don't think he is talking about players in rookie deals, I think he is talking about players like Millsap, Big Baby, etc.

    I can tell you that Danny for Millsap+M Williams works in paper, Danny+ Tyler for Big baby+ Hedo also works.
    That just made me simultaneously throw up in my mouth and **** my pants. No.

  7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  8. #1981
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    I really like the idea of Danny for Bledsoe. I am sure the Clippers say no though.

  9. #1982
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how the numbers work, but that wouldn't be the worst trade in the world for either team. Tyler becomes expendable and we can try to get another bit asset/bench player for him. Maybe Charlotte is "that stupid" and would give us something for him.
    Danny+DJ+Green(lol) for Millsap+Bell+Mo works.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=adx2seg

  10. #1983
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that's not true. The competitor that Kobe is, it's not that he doesn't care. I think as Sookie pointed out before, he's only got so much energy to expend at his age. To say he doesn't care enough about defense is sort of a slap in the face to one of the all time great competitors.
    Look, I haven't watched Kobe in his early years. I wasn't watching the NBA when he was in his prime. I only started watching the NBA the last 2 seasons and I have some memories of what in the '10 Finals.

    The Kobe that I have seen is nothing close to a competitor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now more than ever the Lakers need him to score and score big most nights.
    No, they don't. They have plenty of scoring around him. The Suns were able to score very well under Nash even with mediocre role players simply because Nash would hit them with picture perfect passes. The Lakers would probably score easier if Kobe embraced the role of shooter / scorer while giving all of the ball-handling to Nash. No more Kobe isos = more points
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  12. #1984

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Can we just see what our team looks like with Granger before we trade him? He's actually a very good player who fills a lot of our needs.

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  14. #1985
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That just made me simultaneously throw up in my mouth and **** my pants. No.
    I knew it, he is a pretty good player though 15.7 ppg 7.6 rpg and he is only making 6mil a year? that could give the Pacers a lot of space to re-sign Paul George and probably West.

  15. #1986
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew it, he is a pretty good player though 15.7 ppg 7.6 rpg and he is only making 6mil a year? that could give the Pacers a lot of space to re-sign Paul George and probably West.
    Glen is a good player but Hedo? That's the bad part. He and his contract.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  16. #1987
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Isn't Big Baby sort of a volume scorer too?

  17. #1988
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    I wouldn't pay Hedo to mow my lawn. Just out of principle.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  19. #1989
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look, I haven't watched Kobe in his early years. I wasn't watching the NBA when he was in his prime. I only started watching the NBA the last 2 seasons and I have some memories of what in the '10 Finals.
    The Kobe that I have seen is nothing close to a competitor.

    You definitely missed out. Great great player, great great player. You should youtube him sometime--no joke.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they don't. They have plenty of scoring around him. The Suns were able to score very well under Nash even with mediocre role players simply because Nash would hit them with picture perfect passes. The Lakers would probably score easier if Kobe embraced the role of shooter / scorer while giving all of the ball-handling to Nash. No more Kobe isos = more points
    If they had the old Steve Nash who was on those PHX teams yeah maybe. But this is the OLD Steve Nash. I watch the Laker games through league pass, he barely looks for his shot anymore b/c he can't get them off. He's slow and though he gets into the lane, opposing defenses stay home b/c they know he won't finish over opposing bigs.

    What scoring options do they have? D-12 is a finisher at the rim, but not a great post player. Pau is no longer a 20 point threat it seems. Metta World Peace is actually playing well, but even in his prime, his offense was...sketchy.

    Aside from that they don't have ANYTHING. Meeks is having a Gerald Green type of shooting season, Antwan Jameson looks lost, and the other players aren't worth mentioning.

    On those PHX teams, they still had Gortat (post threat), Dudley (3pt threat) Grant Hill, Shannon Brown, Channing Frye--the Lakers would kill to have any of these guys over Duhon, Morris, Sacre, etc. And that PHX team didn't do anything important anyways. The last good PHX team Steve was on was during the 2009-2010 season when they had Amare, J-Rich, Hill, Dudley, Frye, Dragic, etc.

  20. #1990
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew it, he is a pretty good player though 15.7 ppg 7.6 rpg and he is only making 6mil a year? that could give the Pacers a lot of space to re-sign Paul George and probably West.
    Glen Davis is also a worse defender than West, not to mention a less capable offensive player.

    Does Hedo even play anymore? That guy is just collecting money at this point.

    You may or may not think highly of DG, depending on the day lol, but this trade makes the Pacers WORSE.

  21. #1991

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look, I haven't watched Kobe in his early years. I wasn't watching the NBA when he was in his prime. I only started watching the NBA the last 2 seasons and I have some memories of what in the '10 Finals.

    The Kobe that I have seen is nothing close to a competitor.



    No, they don't. They have plenty of scoring around him. The Suns were able to score very well under Nash even with mediocre role players simply because Nash would hit them with picture perfect passes. The Lakers would probably score easier if Kobe embraced the role of shooter / scorer while giving all of the ball-handling to Nash. No more Kobe isos = more points
    That's too bad, you missed an unbelievable basketball player.

    And I'll say this, a lot of Kobe Bryant's game is stuff that I don't normally like. (In fact, normally hate.) He dribbles the ball too much. He takes stupid shots. But it doesn't matter because he's proven he can win his way. And quite frankly, he's the best NBA player I've ever personally seen, in his prime. Lebron's more efficient, but he doesn't come close to the skill level that Bryant has/had. And I don't think he'll win nearly as often either.

    I think Kobe needs to score on this Lakers team. Their bench doesn't score. Pau's been inconsistent, Dwight (although better recently) has been inconsistent, and Nash for whatever reason doesn't look to score. That leaves Kobe and Meta. And Meta is scary with the ball. (BTW, how does Duhon still have a job?) But if Pau/Dwight/Nash got more into the flow, he wouldn't need to as much. (As it is, Kobe has been force feeding Dwight to try and get him going.)
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  23. #1992
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't pay Hedo to mow my lawn. Just out of principle.
    I wouldn't want him either, I would rather get Redick and Big Baby but I know that is impossible.

  24. #1993
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glen Davis is also a worse defender than West, not to mention a less capable offensive player.

    Does Hedo even play anymore? That guy is just collecting money at this point.

    You may or may not think highly of DG, depending on the day lol, but this trade makes the Pacers WORSE.
    I'm not sure about that, and calm down I was just posting an example of what Chad Ford was talking about.

  25. #1994

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    If they want to write about dream trades, how about Danny for Josh Smith! The money works, Josh can play the 3 and 4, his contract expires this year. Win now mode! A'int happening.

  26. #1995
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    I'd love to have Reddick coming off the bench. A big time shooter, and nice off the bench scorer.

    I wonder if he's obtainable if the Pacers tried to trade for him??
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  27. #1996
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Glen Davis is not a good player. Not at all.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  29. #1997
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glen Davis is not a good player. Not at all.

    If you say so.......

  30. #1998
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,908

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Kobe is a lockdown defender, when he wants too. That's never been debateable. When someone say's someone isn't good at defense, I take that as saying that they can't play, as opposed to they don't play defense (some of the time.)

    He doesn't need hid on defense.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  32. #1999
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    I guess we know who Gortat wants lol

    Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
    SVG is out there.....
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


    51m Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
    SVG !!!!
    Expand

  33. #2000

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe is a lockdown defender, when he wants too. That's never been debateable. When someone say's someone isn't good at defense, I take that as saying that they can't play, as opposed to they don't play defense (some of the time.)

    He doesn't need hid on defense.
    If someone fails defensively on a consistent basis, then he isn't good on defense and his teammates have to clean it up. It doesn't matter if it's lack of effort, focus or ability. Charles Barkley was a pretty good defender too, when he wanted to... he just rarely did.
    Kobe has been a disaster on that end for 90% of the season so far. Ball watching, leaving open shooters, allowing backdoor cuts, not helping in time and overhelping. It's been a joke.
    If this D'Antoni's "stick Kobe on the ball handler/best player" plan helps Kobe stay focused, one problem might be solved. Still, he's a horrible helper and a bad off the ball defender. When he was younger and more athletic, his roaming would at least bring an occasional block, but at this point it's hurting the team. It's surprising that someone as smart as Kobe and with so much experience can't figure this stuff out. I don't even think it's all lack of energy because of his offensive load. His effort off the ball is just misplaced much of the time, he loses sight of his man and then all hell breaks loose.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5337
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
  2. Replies: 1673
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 11:30 PM
  3. Random NFL Thoughts: The Official Thread
    By Natston in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
  4. Random Thoughts NBA Edition Returns: 05-06 Thread
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1269
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 03:06 AM
  5. Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1525
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •