Page 57 of 178 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

And to think Kareem was still contributing at the age of 41. I don't see these guys playing that long but they all started earlier than he did. Lebron also started off averaging a better PPG than Kobe and Kobe also has been through 2 NBA lockouts as opposed to Lebron's 1. Could be a very interesting storyline for years to come.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Kobe "only" has to put up ~26 a night for the next 3 years. I can absolutely see him being able to do that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the Beverly signing maybe Toney Douglas is expendable. Don't know too much about his game though. Can't even remember where he went to college.
    Douglas has been good for the Rockets. He is a good shooter and can defend. He is not a great creator, though. I don't think that he's a good fit for a pick and role offense.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

http://www.nba.com/bulls/community/p...christmas.html

Pippen's no Scrooge when it comes to Christmas
    Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen recently joined seven-year old La’Ren Kimble on stage for the Goodman Theatre’s production of A Christmas Carol in conjunction with Make-A-Wish Illinois

Bulls legend Scottie Pippen and La’Ren Kimble, a young beneficiary of Make-A-Wish Illinois, recently joined the cast of Goodman Theatre’s A Christmas Carol for a one night only performance.
    By Adam Fluck | 12.23.2012

In Charles Dickens’ novella A Christmas Carol, first published in 1843, Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come in an effort to change his outlook on the holiday and life in general. It took an extraordinary journey for the wealthy but cynical businessman to come around, but in the end, he did.

This event marked the 6th consecutive year that the Goodman and Make-A-Wish Illinois have brightened the life of child battling a life-threatening medical condition.
    A similar effort was not necessary when it come to convincing Scottie Pippen to take part in the Goodman Theatre’s 35th annual production of the timeless classic, especially given it involved sharing the stage with a Make-A-Wish child.

“I’ve worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation many times over the years, so when I was contacted about being in A Christmas Carol with someone who had a wish, it was an easy decision,” said Pippen.

For the last six years, Chicago’s Goodman Theatre and Make-A-Wish Illinois have joined forces to brighten the life of child battling a life-threatening medical condition by pairing them with a local celebrity. Last year, Chicago White Sox manager Robin Ventura took part, and in 2010, Chicago Blackhawks ambassador and Hall of Famer Bobby Hull graced the stage with his presence.

This fall, the theatre approached the Bulls to see if Pippen would be interested in following suit and joining seven-year old La’Ren Kimble of Rockford, Ill. in this year’s edition of A Christmas Carol.

“The Goodman Theatre has been bringing in different athletes and celebrities over the year for cameos like mine, so this year was my year,” said Pippen, who serves as Special Advisor to the President & C.O.O. for the Bulls. “To be able to work with La’Ren, a beautiful young lady, was what it was all about for me.”

The process began the week after Thanksgiving, when Pippen first visited the theatre for his wardrobe fitting and more importantly, to meet La’Ren, along with her mother, Alicia Hagie and stepfather, Joseph Quayson.

“I wanted to be on TV,” said La’Ren of her wish. “They couldn’t do that for me, but this is like a bonus round and it’s better. I’m on a stage and I still get to be on camera.”

La’Ren was diagnosed with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome when she was just three weeks old. That condition led to the existence of a rare kidney cancer called Wilms' tumor. Regular appointments and a proactive approach have paid dividends for La’Ren and as she gets older, the risk of the cancer returning will significantly decrease. Still, life hasn’t always been easy for her with far more trips to the hospital than any child should endure. Though, as Pippen noted, you’d never know after meeting her.

“For someone who has faced so much adversity, she couldn’t be more upbeat and energetic,” said Pippen. “La’Ren is truly inspiring.”

Before leaving the theatre that afternoon, Pippen surprised La’Ren and her family with tickets to that evening’s Bulls game. They happily accepted and enjoyed sitting in the owner’s suite with Bulls President & Chief Operating Officer Michael Reinsdorf.

“It was a great day,” said Pippen. “We spent most of it together with her and her parents. It was a lot of fun for me and I think she had a lot of fun at the game. She got the opportunity to be in an arena where there’s a lot of excitement. There’s no better place than going to the United Center with the entertainment and the fact that there is always something going on during a game.”

Pippen and Kimble donned costumes tailored especially for them and appeared in select scenes of the 35th annual production of a Chicago holiday tradition.
    La’Ren agreed. And though she didn’t know much about the Bulls before that night—she wasn’t even aware of Benny the Bull’s existence—all of that has changed. As for her favorite part of the evening?

“Seeing the Bulls win,” said La’Ren. “I couldn’t believe how much shouting there was.”

While throughout 17 seasons in the NBA, Pippen performed on several big stages, whether at home at the Chicago Stadium or the United Center, New York’s Madison Square Garden, or the Forum in Los Angeles, on Dec. 14 a different kind of stage awaited.

Pippen’s acting resume is limited to say the least. Aside from various commercials during his playing career and more recently, a quick visit on the Conan O’Brien show during their week of shooting at the Chicago Theater, most of the time he’s been on camera has either been as a player or former player in a setting which surrounded the game of basketball. He joked with La’Ren, an aspiring actress, that she would have to help guide him while on stage.

On the night of the play, Pippen arrived at the Goodman Theatre a little over two hours before the 8 p.m. performance to catch up with La’Ren and her family. The two then sat down for a round of interviews before heading to their dressing rooms to get into their respective wardrobes.

As for their roles, Pippen and La’Ren appeared on stage several times throughout the evening as natives of London, most notably at the end of the play when Christmas morning was celebrated and a Scrooge with a considerable change of heart made his way through the crowd.

When it came time for their lines, they were ready: “Merry Christmas, Mr. Scrooge!”

While La’Ren had a small cheering section of family and friends in attendance at the sold out performance, Pippen did too, with his wife, Larsa, and his children, Scotty, Preston, Justin and Sophia, as well as his sister, Sherron, on hand for the show.

“The sentimental value behind this is very different that what I accomplished as a player,” said Pippen of the experience. “This has been a lot of fun. I had never even been to a play. You have to adjust to a different kind of audience and how they cheer. It’s definitely not like playing in a sports arena. I was interested to see the different mix.

“To be a part of this with Christmas coming up, plus the Make-A-Wish element, makes it very special,” added Pippen. “As a player, you try to do what you can to be a part of the kids’ lives in the Make-A-Wish events that I’ve done in the past. But this is different than what I’ve done in the past. We’ve really had an opportunity to interact. The weight to perform was on both our shoulders. But we held each other up and it was a lot of fun.”

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I wouldn't send that for Calderon especially when there is a good chance that he will bolt after this season. Also...just because DJ sucks it up....I don't think that ANY PG would fit into the offense that we run.....well, just because he is not named DJ. I keep on getting back to this whole notion that the main reason why DJ isn't working is because he's not a good fit for the half-court offense that the Pacers run. Getting a PG like Calderon ( who EQUALLY sucks on the defensive end ) but I thought ( and I could be wrong here ) is more of an up-tempo PG...wouldn't solve any of our problems. Same goes for PGs like Ridnour and Barea.

I suggested this before....but would Bayless be a better fit...in the same vein that GH is a good fit in that he's more of a Combo Guard that has some PG skills?

Does the Grizzlies run a half-court offense?

What other Teams currently run a half-court offense that we can maybe poach a PG from?
    Calderon is mainly a P&R point guard and a spot up shooter. He's not a runner, he's more like Jason Kidd these days. Toronto in general is a slow half court team (and that's one of their problems imo -- too many mid range chuckers in half court, they should try to run more).
    Calderon is bad defensively, but there are bright spots. He's been better the last few years and he's decent defending most 2s, he just can't guard smaller quick guys. So that's something that separates him from DJA. If used in a Kidd-type role next to someone who can defend point guards, he could be hidden in many situations.
    Overall, I think he'd be a big improvement from DJA. But as you said, if we aren't going to resign him, it's rather pointless to give anything good. And I don't think they'd give him up without at least a pick or prospect.

Bayless I think is a pretty bad basketball player. I'd rather just sign Nate Robinson, if I had to choose between those two.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gasol attempts for 3 and he makes it. The D'Antoni effect is well established.

Dwight hits 2 big ones from the line in crunch time to push it out to a 4 point lead... crowd goes wild!

Banned

Lakers are looking good, Nash makes a big difference.

Nash is awesome, they look better on both ends.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Can the Pacers just find a way to get Reggie Jackson already.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...er_Of_The_Week

I know it's only 2 games in the D-League, but this guy has this type of talent.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Cavs claimed Shaun Livingston

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

How are Bulls down 31, at home, to the Rockets?

ugly...
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Lakers are looking good, Nash makes a big difference.
    Shocking. especially considering Duhon was his backup and D'Antoni is the coach.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    How are Bulls down 31, at home, to the Rockets?

ugly...
    Well, Omer Asik had 20 points, 18 rebounds and 3 blocks. Chandler Parsons had 23 points on 9/15 shooting and 4/5 from 3. Harden had 26/6/5 on 7/13 shooting. Lin had 20/11 on 8/12 shooting.

It was that kind of night for them. It happens.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

We lead our division now!

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

I would offer Hibbert to OKC for Perkins, PJ3, Reggie Jackson, and Toronto's 2013 1st they own. Not sure they'd do it, but it'd make them pretty damn good.

These uniforms tonight are straight off Double Dribble.

Just checked the standings, and a lot of teams in the East are juggling up for the 4-8 spots. Really tight competition there.

Just realized that the Nets are crashing down this early. And the Clippers are really surprising in the West as they have overtaken OKC, SA and Memphis with their longest win streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cavs claimed Shaun Livingston
    That sucks, but I think we all knew the Pacers can be stubborn and wasn't going to pick him up. You can bet that Grigson would have picked him up if he was the GM of the Pacers. hahaha

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I would offer Hibbert to OKC for Perkins, PJ3, Reggie Jackson, and Toronto's 2013 1st they own. Not sure they'd do it, but it'd make them pretty damn good.
    That does seem tempting.

Hibbert + OJ + DJ
    for
    Perkins + PJ3 + Jackson + Lamb + Toronto 1st

You could then try later to trade some of those young assets for a young C.

I still think Hibbert will snap out of his offensive funk soon though. He looks like he's already starting to break out of it.

Now really free Lance!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Consider me stunned that the Lakers seem to be better off now that they've gotten two of the best players in the world back onto the floor.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know you're a huge fan, but I'm interested in seeing him doing it in an NBA game. Eric Maynor is having a DJ Augustin type of yr, so it's not like he has a great player ahead of him at the b/u spot.

Yes Jackson has potential, but I wanna see him do something within an NBA game so sometime.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...mending-mchale

Kevin McHale to make emotional return to Minnesota after daughter's death

Houston Rockets attend Sasha McHale's funeral, end emotional day with loss in Oklahoma City
    Sasha McHale, 23, daughter of ex-Timberwolves coach, dies
    The instincts from the game that shaped Kevin McHale's life are evident again.

It has been a gradual and painful process for the Houston Rockets coach, but his players and assistants are seeing the revival.

McHale has admonished his players for setting poor screens, displaying a casual demeanor on the court and during timeouts and for any other fundamental flaw that he felt required their attention.

"The little things that upset him, a week or 10 days ago, he would not have addressed those things," Rockets assistant coach Kelvin Sampson said. "Every day, you can tell he's getting better. In staff meetings, he wasn't as talkative or demonstrative. Kevin's a storyteller. He wasn't doing any of that."

McHale's love for basketball has been one of his strongest allies to help him cope with the death of his 23-year-old daughter, Sasha, who died Nov. 24 of complications from lupus. The former Timberwolves executive, coach and TV analyst needed almost a month before he felt he was ready to coach again.

McHale's inner strength likely will be challenged again when the Minnesota native returns to his home state Wednesday night, Dec. 26, to face the Wolves at Target Center.

The game will mark McHale's first visit to Target Center since Sasha died. As a young girl, she was regularly seen in the arena while her father worked Wolves telecasts or was running the club's basketball operations department.

Those memories will be hard for McHale to ignore. He and

his wife, Lynn, endured a difficult first Christmas without Sasha on Tuesday while the family was in Chicago for Houston's game against the Bulls.
    Lynn and the couple's remaining four children will be at Wednesday's game to offer more support to McHale.

"Those who know Kevin know he has a heart of gold and is incredibly close to his family," said TNT and CBS broadcaster Kevin Harlan, who worked Wolves telecasts with McHale from 1993-95. "I've always thought of him as very distinct with his personal and professional life. As a parent, my heart breaks for him and his family."

Heading into Tuesday's game at Chicago, Houston was 5-3 since McHale rejoined the team for a Dec. 8 game against Dallas. The Rockets were riding a three-game winning streak, an indication that McHale and his players have regained their focus since Sasha's death. But McHale's return wasn't easy on him or his team.

"We lost that game to Dallas," said Rockets assistant J.B. Bickerstaff, a former Wolves assistant. "That was a tough night. He had been away, and things had changed. We had made adjustments and improvements. He had to feel his way back into it, but he was glad to be back working and happy to be around the guys. It was good for him to have an

Houston Rockets head coach Kevin McHale protests a foul call against his team by referee Dan Crawford, right, during the third quarter against the Wolves at Target Center in Minneapolis on Monday January 23, 2012. (Pioneer Press: Richard Marshall)
    outlet."
    As much as McHale has worshipped basketball most of his life, the sport fell off his radar when he took a leave of absence Nov. 10 to join Lynn at Sasha's side. Sasha's condition had worsened, and she was placed in intensive care.

"Before he took the leave, he had talked about how she was doing," said Sampson, who took over the head coaching duties in McHale's absence. "She was doing better. Then she took a turn for the worse in the fall. He called me one day and said he had to fly back home. He was crying. It was pretty emotional. He couldn't say much more than that."

The Wolves honored Sasha with a moment of silence before their Nov. 30 home game against Milwaukee. Several members of the organization attended the Nov. 28 funeral at St. Odilia Catholic Church in Shoreview. The McHales live in North Oaks.

There are no plans for a formal tribute to McHale and Sasha before Wednesday's game, but McHale is certain to receive a warm reception from fans and members of the Wolves organization.

"Everywhere we go, somebody comes up to him to give him a big hug," Bickerstaff said. "Over the last 33 years or so, his touch has been felt all over the NBA. It's hard to find people who don't like Kevin McHale, who weren't touched by him in some way."

After the Rockets defeated Boston in Houston on Dec. 14, McHale and Celtics forward Kevin Garnett embraced in an emotional hug that moved McHale and nearby observers to tears. The moment was captured on television and went viral on YouTube and other websites.

Garnett was McHale's first draft pick, and the two developed a close relationship over K.G.'s 12 years with the Wolves.

"Their relationship was pretty tight," Bickerstaff said.

Bickerstaff said the staff had no doubt that McHale would return. Sampson and McHale talked at least twice a day about the team while McHale was gone. Sampson said he avoided mentioning Sasha sometimes in their talks, but McHale occasionally would bring her name up.

"You could tell it was a battle for him ... thinking about the team and Sasha," Sampson said. "When he came back, he told us he was really going to lean on us to help him get through it. In the last week, you can tell he's getting back to himself."

Sports Logo

That does seem tempting.

Hibbert + OJ + DJ
    for
    Perkins + PJ3 + Jackson + Lamb + Toronto 1st

You could then try later to trade some of those young assets for a young C.
    Why would we do that?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

cgg