Page 173 of 178 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Pacers Cares ‏@PacersCares 17m

It’s a new week for Call A Pacer presented by @StanleySecurity. Call 877-275-9007 to hear @Paul_George24 read Is Your Mama A Llama?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like that look on Duncan's face.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Vinny The Black won't let Lob City get that far, don't you worry.
    They may not even get past the Grizzlies

streets ahead

Tom Ziller: The canon of David Kahn - A retrospective

Jonny Flynn. Wes Johnson. Tanguy Ngombo. Darko Milicic. David Kahn, this is your life.

David Kahn is reportedly done as the personnel boss for the Minnesota Timberwolves. This was supposed to be the season that the Wolves broke the league's longest active playoff drought; it did not happen for several reasons, the largest of which was a double-whammy of injuries to Kevin Love. Also, injuries to basically everyone else.

But that's all in the details. In the aggregate, Kahn built a team that should have been good enough to at least compete for the final playoff seed in the West and a team that also should have been way, way better than it was. And frankly, there's a lot of work to do for the next GM of the Wolves -- rumored to be Flip Saunders -- to reach the potential within the roster.

Kahn did some good things. He drafted Ricky Rubio despite the Spaniard's lack of comfort with Minneapolis, perilous buyout situation and total lack of jumper. It took a couple of years, but Ricky made it to the NBA, and he made it. He's quite exciting, and plenty of teams would like to have him. Kahn also signed a Kevin McHale draft pick -- Nikola Pekovic -- to a contract that really helped the Wolves not be the worst team in the league the last two seasons. Kahn's best move in the 2012 offseason was surely signing Andrei Kirilenko, who had been in Russia since the lockout, to a two-year, $20 million deal. Kirilenko could have been an All-Star if not for injury, and was the defender this team needed on the wing.

Kahn also somehow was possibly involved in bringing Rick Adelman aboard. Whether Kahn had anything to do with it or not, let's just say that it was the best coaching decision of Kahn's tenure.

But the list of things Kahn did wrong is significantly longer. The draft was not kind to Kahn. One pick after Rubio, the Wolves took Jonny Flynn. Who is already out of the NBA. In that draft, Stephen Curry went one pick later, Brandon Jennings went four picks later and Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Jeff Teague went more than a dozen picks later. Kahn actually picked Lawson on behalf of the Nuggets; in return, the Wolves -- now set at PG with Rubio and Flynn -- received the pick that became Luke Babbitt, who was traded for a Martell Webster rental. Webster was waived by Kahn after two poor seasons.

The 2010 draft was no kinder to Kahn. He took Wesley Johnson at No. 4, in front of DeMarcus Cousins, Greg Monroe, Gordon Hayward, Paul George, Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe and Avery Bradley. How did Wes do in Minnesota? After two awful seasons, Kahn had to package him with a first-round pick to ship him out; Minnesota got a trio of future second-round picks in the deal. Well done!

The jury is still out on 2011 and beyond. Kahn took Derrick Williams, a near consensus No. 2 pick, at No. 2 in 2011 and didn't have his 2012 pick on account of an old McHale trade that's been looming for nearly a decade. (Seriously, the pick that became Austin Rivers for the Hornets last June was traded by McHale in 2005. Marko Jaric!) There was lots of other weird stuff in 2011: Kahn traded down about 2,000 times, somehow relinquishing the best international prospect available (Nikola Mirotic) in the process, and then used a late second on a 26-year-old Qatari ineligible for the draft DUE TO BEING 26 YEARS OLD.

The draft was but one of Kahn's problem, if you can believe it. He is responsible for Kurt Rambis' two-year reign of horror. The best part is how that whole experience ended: in the slowest, most public battle of wills ever. It seemed clear that Rambis would be fired after Sam Vincenting two seasons. But Kahn didn't do the job quickly to help everyone forget he paid Rambis gobs of money. He gave Rambis a take-home test with apparent essay questions about the future of the team. He let Rambis' fate hang in the balance all the way through draft prep season ... which allowed things like "Rambis and Kahn standing 10 feet apart, not speaking or acknowledging each other in front of 50 NBA scouts and GMs at a group workout" to happen. In the end, the Wolves canned Rambis, but had to sell draft picks to pay his buyout. Awesome!

The Kevin Love disaster is the single Kahntastrophe that could still screw Wolves fans into the future. In some way, Kahn lowballed Love in 2011, the offseason he was eligible for an early extension. It remains disputed exactly what happened, but essentially while Love was eligible for a five-year extension that would have kept the All-Star forward under contract through 2017, Kahn didn't offer it. Kahn wanted to maintain flexibility. Under the new collective bargaining agreement that went into effect in the 2011 offseason, teams had to choose which young rookie scale star would receive a five-year early extension, because you could only have one such contract on the books at any time. Kahn apparently wanted to save this for Rubio or maybe Wesley Johnson. (Who knows?! This is Kahn.) So he didn't offer it to Love, who was a top-10 player in the NBA. The entire NBA.

Understandably, Love was miffed. He eventually agreed to a four-year early extension ... but only if Kahn included an early termination option after three years. So instead of being locked up through 2017, Love can now opt out in 2015. How's that for flexibility? Love spent the following year being quoted as frustrated with Kahn, the bad job Kahn was doing and the lack of progress the team had made since he'd been drafted by McHale in 2008. No one knows if canning Kahn will brighten Love's spirits; the damage between the power forward and the franchise may have already been done. Certainly, nerves will be racked if Minnesota has another rough season, and we may start hearing about trades by the deadline (even though Love is under contract for 2014-15 as well).

That's all bad enough, right? We're not done...CONTINUE READING ON SBNATION.
    This is the darkest timeline.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-memorabilia/

Kobe’s mom ready to auction off his high school memorabilia

Would you like some Kobe Bryant Lower Merion High School memorabilia? Like an actual game-worn jersey (which if you actually try to wear you’re a fool… and probably really skinny, who can fit into their high school clothes?).

Kobe’s mom is about to auction things off through Golden Auctions reports Tom Hofarth at the Los Angeles Daily News.

The main draw will be a maroon uniform — jersey and shorts — from his freshman year when he wore No. 24. It is believed to be the only authentic game worn #24 Kobe Bryant LMHS jersey in existence. He switched to No. 33 for the rest of his high school days before going to the NBA.

There’s more: practice jerseys from high school, the version of his 2000 NBA championship ring he paid the Lakers to have make for his mom, his 1998 and 2000 NBA All-Star Game rings, 1996 high school state championship ring, his 1996 High School McDonald’s All American ring and even his he surfboard-shaped “Teen’s Choice” Award from Nickelodeon.

I know, I can’t believe he’d want to give up the Nikolodian award either.

My mom tried to sell off the stuff from my room after I left. I think she make $1.73.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The grizzlies/heat finals is going to be epic....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The grizzlies/heat finals is going to be epic....

I think that would be a great series to watch and the Grizzlies have the type of team that could give the Heat problems. I know I would love to watch that series. The Grizzlies don't have any sizzle though, so the media and casual fans won't be too happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    To be fair 3/4 of the games have been blowouts, not very entertaining to watch. Even game 4 was a blowout until the Pacers finally decided to show up and play defense.

I think that would be a great series to watch and the Grizzlies have the type of team that could give the Heat problems. I know I would love to watch that series. The Grizzlies don't have any sizzle though, so the media and casual fans won't be too happy.
    I don't really see the Grizzlies being able to shutdown the Heat, with Heat playing just as good defense as Memphis. Memphis like Pacers have trouble scoring (not as much because Conley is quite aggressive), but I don't think Griz defense is enough to offset that. The only teams I can see Heat having trouble against are Spurs and OKC (with westbrook) as they have more than one player who can create his own shot.
    Last edited by immortality; 05-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I don't really see the Grizzlies being able to shutdown the Heat, with Heat playing just as good defense as Memphis. Memphis like Pacers have trouble scoring (not as much because Conley is quite aggressive), but I don't think Griz defense is enough to offset that. The only teams I can see Heat having trouble against are Spurs and OKC (with westbrook) as they have more than one player who can create his own shot.
    The Griz beat the Heat earlier this year, and very nearly beat them again in MIA on a Friday night game. I think their defense plus their rebounding and toughness gives the Heat more problems than probably any other matchup in the league.

The difference between the Grizz and the Pacers is that Conley and Gasol are able to stick with Chalmers on the pick and pop with Bosh, and Battier can NOT guard Randolph nor rebound with him like he can against West.

I actually feel that the Grizz might be the team with the best chance at beating the Heat. I absolutely love watching them play.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The Griz beat the Heat earlier this year, and very nearly beat them again in MIA on a Friday night game. I think their defense plus their rebounding and toughness gives the Heat more problems than probably any other matchup in the league.

The difference between the Grizz and the Pacers is that Conley and Gasol are able to stick with Chalmers on the pick and pop with Bosh, and Battier can NOT guard Randolph nor rebound with him like he can against West.

I actually feel that the Grizz might be the team with the best chance at beating the Heat. I absolutely love watching them play.
    Bosh is an under-rated defender and he can guard Randolph pretty well, I think that last game between them Randolph went 35%. Still would be an interesting series.

Just looked up, don't think LeBron would let Grizzlies force him to shoot 30% for the series.

It just occurred to me that we're going to have to hear this "Birdman, Birdman" thing from Shaq every night until the end of May...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Had to share even if it's offtopic. Just so awesome that even PBS commented!

I know the first round started off lackluster as it looked like we were going to have a number of sweeps. Well that turned around, now we have 6 game 6's, which I think is the most ever in one round of the playoffs
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-02-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I know the first round started off lackluster as it looked like we were going to have a number of sweeps. Well that turned around, now we have 6 games 6's, which I think is the most ever in one round of the playoffs
    I still wish the NBA had stuck with the 5-7-7-7 format....

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I still wish the NBA had stuck with the 5-7-7-7 format....
    wonder how the Celtics, Rockets, Nets and Nuggets feel about that. All 4 teams would have been already eliminated had the first round been best of 5 - but all are still alive to play a game #6.

I would much, much, much rather decrease the number of regular season games and keep best of 7 first round.

wonder how the Celtics, Rockets, Nets and Nuggets feel about that. All 4 teams would have been already eliminated had the first round been best of 5 - but all are still alive to play a game #6.

I would much, much, much rather decrease the number of regular season games and keep best of 7 first round.
    I am sure they love having a 7 game series, doesnt change the fact I liked the best of 5 better. I felt like it led to a more exciting first round.

While I would not love it, I am OK with decreasing the ref season and keeping all 4 rounds at best of 7.

We all know that will never happen, if only for one reason: $$$$$$

I know the first round started off lackluster as it looked like we were going to have a number of sweeps. Well that turned around, now we have 6 game 6's, which I think is the most ever in one round of the playoffs
    True, but it's actually bad for the NBA that Houston and Oklahoma is going to game 6, if that makes sense. What I mean is, these last couple of games have shown us how important Westbrook is and that OKC likely won't get past the Clippers or Grizzlies if they get past Houston. OKC likely wins this series in 4 or 5 with Westbrook, which is certainly shorter than what the series will be now, but overall it would have been far better than seeing one of the league's premier teams get dealt a fatal blow. The quality of the Thunder (if they beat Houston) series against LAC or Memphis will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    True, but it's actually bad for the NBA that Houston and Oklahoma is going to game 6, if that makes sense. What I mean is, these last couple of games have shown us how important Westbrook is and that OKC likely won't get past the Clippers or Grizzlies if they get past Houston. OKC likely wins this series in 4 or 5 with Westbrook, which is certainly shorter than what the series will be now, but overall it would have been far better than seeing one of the league's premier teams get dealt a fatal blow. The quality of the Thunder (if they beat Houston) series against LAC or Memphis will suffer.
    He was injured in game #3, so he still would have been injured for the next round no matter if this was a best of 5 or best of 7.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-02-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I must disagree, the NBA just wants long series. They want as many game 7's as they can get. So while the Thunder's effectiveness is great diminished with out Westbrook the next series will be even more hard fought. The NBA doesn't just want the Thunder to roll over everyone in the West ya know....
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I must disagree, the NBA just wants long series. They want as many game 7's as they can get. So while the Thunder's effectiveness is great diminished with out Westbrook the next series will be even more hard fought. The NBA doesn't just want the Thunder to roll over everyone in the West ya know....
    I think the NBA cares far more about the second round and WCF's than they do a first round series. Losing OKC as a premier team (as it looks now) is an overall bad thing. No one will care about this Houston series if OKC gets beat by Memphis or LAC, and instead people will be wondering about what could have been.

He was injured in game #3, so he still would have been injured for the next round no matter if this was a best of 5 or best of 7.

I didn't mean that he got injured because the first round has been extended. I'm just saying that overall it's a bad thing that Houston-OKC has been extended, because it's likely showing us that OKC is no longer an elite threat.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Frank just demanded that the pistons either cut him loose or pick up his 2015 option.

So, yeah, he's gone. Too bad, I liked him.

Expect Gores to pursue Phil Jackson as GM and Brian shaw as coach. No, that's not a typo. He'll have to she'll out a crapload of money, but he seems very serious about spending, and Monroe/Drummond are ideal in the triangle.
    Interesting.

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...e-coach-search