Page 169 of 178 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Shaw gets snatched from us I would see if Scott was interested in being an assistant here definitely.
    I'd doubt he'd have any interest but that'd be a very good hire.

Also, Cleveland should be looking very, very hard at Shaw to replace him.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm not saying I expect it to happen, but I do expect him to make that push. That's the kind of big media splash Gores has been talking about making.

Phil reportedly is very interested in being a general manager next year. Who knows how many team will have vacant GM/coach positions available. If Gores is willing to make a major investment in Phil, I can see him being convinced enough to run an NBA franchise.

I would think that Detroit would be a pretty desirable destination for Phil... they have a good core with Monroe/Drummond/Knight and PJ would likely have a LOT of leverage with setting up his contract, seeing how the Pistons would benefit so greatly from his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon 2m

RT @ESPNSteinLine: RT @JasonLloydABJ: BREAKING: Byron Scott fired by Cavaliers. Link: http://bit.ly/YxtJxi
    Expand
    That seems kind of harsh, since the Cavs are so bereft of talent ready to win games right now... but I've heard that Kyrie and Scott didn't get along, and you know how that usually turns out in the NBA. I'd expect BS to get right back into the mix next season, assuming he wants to keep coaching.

With the youth of the Cavs, would Vogel be a good pick for them? If LeBron opts to come there year after next, would Vogel be his kind of Coach? Would the Pacers allow Cleveland to interview Frank? Would Shaw then step into our HC job?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why would Vogel want to leave the Pacers in order to take over the Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    With the youth of the Cavs, would Vogel be a good pick for them? If LeBron opts to come there year after next, would Vogel be his kind of Coach? Would the Pacers allow Cleveland to interview Frank? Would Shaw then step into our HC job?
    Pacers would not allow him to intereview for the Cavs job. Lebron is not going back to Cleveland anytime soon. When he's 35 and half the player he is now, I suppose it is possible he might go back to Cavs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BTW, I think if they kick the tires on Phil and he says no, Dumars will get another year. They won't fire him without a big name to replace him.

"Gores said before the season that he expected the Pistons, despite their youth, to reach the playoffs this season. Dumars is expected to survive despite Detroit's rough season, thanks largely to the considerable salary-cap space that the Pistons are positioned to have this summer along with the promise shown by two young big men Dumars drafted: Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond."

Talk about unrealistic expectations.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/91...etroit-pistons

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should have done better with the guys they had. Maybe not the playoffs, but they needed to at least be in the conversation.

Wasn't entirely Frank's fault, but he was the guy starting Jason Maxiell over Andre Drummond for the first 4 months of the season.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...flopping-rules

The NBA’s anti-flopping rule, adopted at the beginning of the 2012-13 season, had 24 violations during the 2012-13 regular season. Fourteen players received warnings while five players received a $5,000 fine for violating the anti-flopping rule twice.

.... ...

This is not so different from the league's regular-season anti-flopping program, although a key difference is that in the regular season every player's first offense was granted with only a warning. Now the fines start immediately and quickly get steep.

Whether or not such a program is effective depends entirely on how active the league is in noticing and punishing flops.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

year's best flops

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Well, here's the chance to have 2 OJs on the Team:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...With-Mavericks

O.J. Mayo will opt out of his contract with the Dallas Mavericks, making him a free agent this coming offseason.

"Getting something long term, locking something in is what I think is best for me," Mayo said Thursday after his exit interview with Rick Carlisle and Donnie Nelson.

Mayo has yet to seriously consider teams that might be a fit for him.

"I'm sure new teams have popped up on the list," Mayo said. "I need to talk to my agent [Rob Pelinka] and see what we can work out."
    Before anyone salivates over having a 2nd chance to go after Mayo......I don't think we have the Capspace....assuming that West ( or any Starting Quality PF that would replace him ) is re-signed.

And...NO....he can't run the point. Unless he can be had for super-cheap.....I doubt that he will want to come here to play ( at best ) the 1st Guard off the bench.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Well, here's the chance to have 2 OJs on the Team: And...NO....he can't run the point.

And the point is, pun, that maybe the greatest need for the Pacers is a b/u PG this off season, and as you said Mayo isn't a PG. Memphis found that out quick enough.

With the season over for the 14 non-playoff teams, their offseason trading can start. They never do, but they can. Same applies to teams who get eliminated from the playoffs. Nothing ever happens until draft time. Moreso until after the FA signing period in July is over.

I look for this to be an interesting off season.

"We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    And the point is, pun, that maybe the greatest need for the Pacers is a b/u PG this off season, and as you said Mayo isn't a PG. Memphis found that out quick enough.
    Unless it's a backup PG that can score and play alongside G.Hill, I somewhat disagree with you. I think it's important to find a consistent shooting/scoring threat from the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Also, Cleveland should be looking very, very hard at Shaw to replace him.
    I'm sure they are, as are Detroit and Philly.

I'd say IMO there's a pretty good chance he won't be on the Pacers bench next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I'm sure they are, as are Detroit and Philly.

I'd say IMO there's a pretty good chance he won't be on the Pacers bench next season.
    I wonder how he feels about LA. If he waits another season..he may get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I wonder how he feels about LA. If he waits another season..he may get it.
    I don't think he left LA on good terms after they went with Mike Brown over him for the HC position. Could be wrong, but that's what I thought was reported.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I don't think he left LA on good terms after they went with Mike Brown over him for the HC position. Could be wrong, but that's what I thought was reported.
    Yeah, pretty sure he has a grudge against the Lakers, right or wrong. But still, they call you gotta answer.

I would think NYC has more than one hotel no?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/91...-loss-playoffs

Celts, Bulls share hotel after loss

NEW YORK -- One New York hotel, two unhappy basketball teams.

The Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls are staying at the same location this weekend. Both lost their playoff openers Saturday, the Celtics falling 85-78 to the New York Knicks and the Bulls getting routed 106-89 by the Nets in Brooklyn.

"This was a quiet, dark hotel last night. The New York-area teams didn't treat the guests very well," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Sunday.

Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau was an assistant under Rivers when the Celtics won the 2008 NBA title. They still talk, and Thibodeau said his old boss invited him out Friday, but he wasn't able to go.

"Unfortunately, I missed the free dinner," Thibodeau said. "It pained me to miss it."

The Bulls play Game 2 against the Nets on Monday. Boston will try to even its series with the Knicks on Tuesday.

Neither visiting team practiced Sunday. Instead, both held meetings in the hotel, then met with reporters about 2 hours apart.

"It's just not a good hotel today," Rivers said. "Two losing teams. I think one should leave."

Roy Hibbert ‏@Hoya2aPacer 3h

I really don't like @Dlee042 but I really hope he has a speedy recovery. Hate to see guys get get hurt or injured.
    Expand

David Lee David Lee ‏@Dlee042 2m

@Hoya2aPacer Good to know our dislike is mutual, that being said I appreciate the tweet Roy!
    Hide conversation

Retweeted
    Favorite
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    year's best flops
    Don't they/you mean year's worst flops? Nothing good about flopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Roy Hibbert ‏@Hoya2aPacer 3h

I really don't like @Dlee042 but I really hope he has a speedy recovery. Hate to see guys get get hurt or injured.
    Expand

David Lee David Lee ‏@Dlee042 2m

@Hoya2aPacer Good to know our dislike is mutual, that being said I appreciate the tweet Roy!
    Hide conversation

Retweeted
    Favorite
    Thanx for this. I about spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

I really don't like @dlee042 . . .

27. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

With about 4 minutes left and the Spurs heading towards their largest lead of the game, the camera finds Tracy McGrady sitting glumly on the sideline next to Boris Diaw. Breen describes the decision of the Spurs to sign the former league scoring champion as, "an insurance policy". I should've known that McGrady would one day get to the 2nd round in the most depressing way possible.
    hAHAHAHAHA

http://basketbawful.com/

Pretty fun read:
    TEAM #6: NEW YORK KNICKS (Eastern 2nd seed: 54-28, SRS of 3.73)

• Series prediction: Knicks WIN in the first round, LOSE in the second round. ( • • • )
    • Three most likely end results: 3-4 after 4-1 ( • • • ), 4-3 after 4-1 ( • • • ), 1-4 after 4-1 ( • • )

While the Knicks aren't a great team, predicting them to bow out to the Indiana Pacers would represent a slightly strange result for the league. After all, Carmelo Anthony is an MVP candidate that seems assured to get a top-5 spot in the voting. Mike Woodson is a coach of the year candidate with the greatest goatee in the history of the craft. Tyson Chandler is the reigning defensive player of the year. The Knicks won 5 more games in the regular season and enter the series with home court advantage. The Knicks are one of the best offenses in the league, and the Pacers defense has been collapsing over the season's final stretch. The Pacers offense is putrid. All of those things are true, at least in part, but they miss a few key caveats to each point that change the game.
    First, yes, Carmelo Anthony IS an MVP candidate. He was virtually unguardable for a month to start the season and a month to finish the season. He was also eminently easy to guard for several months of the season while he was working through injury and keyed on by good defenses. Those aren't mutually exclusive, and it points to the difference between the LeBron/Durant/Paul tier of MVP candidates and the lesser lights below them. Those three are legitimately impossible to consistently guard. They don't have any particular tells. You can't goad them into taking bad shots. You can't force them to a place of discomfort. Traditionally, when you slow the game down into a halfcourt contest? You can do that with Melo. You can goad him into bad shots, and you can keep him in check. He's an MVP candidate because he's having his best season -- he's not an MVP candidate because he's an impossible-to-guard force of nature with a chip on his shoulder. There's a difference. It's important.
    Second, you have the coaching matchup -- Woodson IS a coach of the year candidate, but Indiana coach Frank Vogel's no chopped liver. He's shown himself to be an excellent tactician and a grade-A motivator. Woodson's proven that he's a decent coach, but the coaching matchup is a push at best. Tyson Chandler IS the reigning DPoY, but he's also had an incredibly disappointing season that's seen the New York defense take a furious nosedive into impotence and woe. Chandler's great, when he's healthy. He's not. He hasn't been all season, and New York's defense has essentially fallen apart in his absence. The Knicks DID win five more games, but that's a really misleading stat -- even after Indiana's late season slide and even considering their early season fog, the Pacers and Knicks have virtually identical overall efficiencies, and if you translate their efficiency differential to projected records, the Knicks would be projected a record of 53-29 and the Pacers would be projected a record of 52-29. They're simply not as far apart as the NBA standings would indicate. This is a wholly even matchup, star power be damned.
    Finally, you have what I consider the most important part of my "Indiana beats New York" prediction. Yes, the New York offense is one of the best in the game, and the Indiana defense has looked a bit shaky lately. But if you watch the tape -- and I watched entirely too much to make this pick, let me tell you -- the Pacers defense simply isn't struggling as much as the numbers make it seem. It really isn't, and I think Frank Vogel understands that. Teams ended the season making an inordinate amount of tough shots against strong contests and strong rotations. Sure, the Pacers got a bit lazy -- and Vogel benched their best players a bit to freshen them up for the playoffs. But the fundamentals of Indiana's defense are absolutely still there, and their biggest fundamental strength (that is, the fact that everyone in their core rotation is monstrously huge and lengthy for their position) isn't going to evaporate just because a few opponents made tough shots to end the season.
    More interesting, to me? Indiana's offense -- admittedly putrid for most of the year -- is finally starting to show some signs of life. All season, Indiana's had to run plays through David West and pray that things work out. Roy Hibbert has finally seen a return-to-form for his previously absent jump hook, Paul George has been getting open more successfully than he was in the early stretches of the season (although, to be fair, he's been missing a lot of open shots too), and the Pacers in a general sense look like a team whose play has been besieged by missed open shots on their end and made contested shots on the other end. Their struggles don't really resemble San Antonio's complete collapse in the last quarter of the season, at least not to me -- their struggles seem far easier to fix, and for that reason, I think the Pacers shock this Knicks team.
    As for why things look grim on New York's end? They're a team that's reliant on Steve Novak getting the space to shoot in a playoff situation (Hey, look! It's Bonner 2.0!) against a stout defensive team, Melo/Cope/Shump shooting over 37% from three against the kind of length Indiana will show them on the perimeter, Jason Kidd shooting 35% from three against ANYONE, and their defense keeping West/Hibbert out of the paint and Paul George out of his comfortable spot-up shots. I just don't see it. (... Which is quite the shame, because New York going on a 2009 Magic-esque shooting streak is probably the only way the Heat bow out before the finals. But I'll get to that later.)
    DEWEY'S TAKE: This is a team that seems to ebb and flow based purely on chance in the Melo Era. 2.5 years, and there is still no correlation between anything that happens. Linsanity happened, and then it didn't. Amar'e got injured and then he wasn't. Same with all the others. They'll probably at least make a solid case to go to the ECF and with all their 3-point shooting (and Miami's), they at least have variance on their side for a Finals Run. They have a knack for looking like the best team in the league for stretches and a middling faux-contender for stretches. I don't know. I don't really like their chances, and I could see them, like, going scoreless for entire quarters when Miami closes out on their shooters, I could also see them taking care of the ball, not allowing Miami to get into its deadly transition, and just flipping a coin ten times and having 9 of them come up heads.
    http://gothicginobili.com/?p=6419#more-6419