Page 167 of 178 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2013 Masters final day TV rating - 10.2
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2084209/

2012 NBA finals 5 game average TV rating - 10.1
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/06/22/f....ap/index.html
    Point well made, the Masters gets a lot of viewers. (Just want to say I don't want people to think the Masters get as many viewers as the NBA Finals though. The two links you have are overnight ratings for golf during late afternoon vs. national rating for NBA in primetime. A little bit apples and oranges comparison) But you overall point is right on. Masters is very popular and when Tiger is doing well it is very very popular, one of the most popular sports events of the year not the NFL.

Anyone else see these comments by Rick Carlisle about OJ Mayo

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-rips-o-j-mayo

Rick Carlisle rips O.J. Mayo

DALLAS -- Rick Carlisle bolted a couple of steps onto the court, right in the path of O.J. Mayo dribbling up the sideline, to frantically call a timeout midway through the fourth quarter.

After the referee blew the whistle, Carlisle shot a disgusted stare toward Mayo. The Dallas Mavericks coach appeared to resist the urge to rip the ball away from his 25-year-old shooting guard, who had two sloppy turnovers and a weak foul on a made layup in the minute and a half before that uncomfortable moment.

“I called that timeout just to get you out of the game!” Carlisle screamed at Mayo in the huddle, according to one player.

Just in case Mayo didn’t get the message, Carlisle made his criticism loud and clear during his postgame news conference after the Mavs’ 103-97 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies. Mayo had a miserable performance against his former team, scoring only two points on 1-of-6 shooting and committing four turnovers before watching crunch time from the pine.

“I just want to see him show up,” said Carlisle, who was as harsh publicly with a player as he’s been since calling out Lamar Odom at the end of the his strange midseason sabbatical. “I just want to see him show up and compete. He didn’t compete tonight.

“And I tell you, with all the time we’ve put into helping him develop and bringing him along, in the biggest game of the year -- an opportunity to be a winning team -- for him to show up like he did tonight, I was shocked.

"Look, sometimes guys have bad nights, so make sure to put that in there, too.”

The trouble is that Mayo tends to have bad nights against the West’s best teams. He has averaged only 10.6 points while shooting 38.2 percent from the floor and 19.0 percent from 3-point range against the conference’s top five seeds. Not coincidentally, the Mavs were 3-15 in those games.

Mayo was especially poor all season against the Grizzlies, a team that tried to trade the former No. 3 overall pick repeatedly and showed no interest in re-signing him last summer. He averaged only 8.5 points and had more turnovers (15) than assists (11) against Memphis this season.

“He just had a bad night,” Carlisle said after making a point to mention that the coaches showed Mayo film at halftime “where he was virtually just standing around defensively” and essentially implored him to mentally check into the game. “I guess I’ll write it off to that.

“But I tell you what, if I was playing against my former team, I’d come out ready to go. I’d come out ready to go at them. But that’s me. You know, that’s me.”

The bad nights have come in bunches for Mayo lately. His production has plummeted since the All-Star break, when he was averaging a team-high 17.9 points per game with the best shooting percentages of his career. His numbers have tailed off drastically in the last month and a half, averaging 11.8 points in March and only 9.0 in April.

Mayo’s good games, such as his 20-point, six-assist outing in last week’s upset of the Denver Nuggets, have been the exception recently. The poor performances are increasingly becoming the norm.

“Well,” Carlisle said, “the good news is there’s only an opportunity for one more.”

Just one more game before the Mavs begin the franchise’s longest offseason in a dozen years. And that wasn’t exactly a case of Carlisle, who had previously stated that he thought Mayo could be a starter on a contending team, welcoming Mayo back next season.

It’s been widely expected that Mayo, who has a player option in his contract for a $4.2 million salary next season, would decide to test the free agency market again this summer. However, Mayo recently told ESPNDallas.com that he hasn’t made a decision on whether to exercise his option to return to Dallas next season instead of looking for a long-term deal.

How many millions has Mayo lost in the last month and a half? At this point, it might make sense for him to try to put together a consistently solid season before testing the market again.

Mayo apparently didn’t have anything to say after Monday night’s loss. He dressed and left the locker room by the time the media was allowed to enter.

“I don’t know. You’ve got to ask O.J,” Dirk Nowitzki when asked about Mayo’s performance, considering Carlisle’s comments. “There are some nights where your jumper’s not going. We all go through it. You have to compete and play hard on both ends of the floor and impact obviously the game on other levels. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Carlisle can live with off-shooting nights. In fact, he made a point to heap praise on Mayo after his worst shooting game of the season, raving about the shooting guard’s hustle, toughness and all-around performance after Mayo was 1-of-13 from the floor while playing with an injured left shoulder in the March 30 comeback win over the Chicago Bulls.

But Carlisle can’t stand a lack of effort and lackluster focus. He’s given Mayo a lot of tough love in practices and film sessions this season. Carlisle let the world hear that criticism Monday night.

Carlisle didn’t single out Mayo when he talked about the daunting experience of young Mavs who have had the “opportunity to sit at the grown-ups’ table this year and see what it’s like to have more responsibility.” It was clear, though, that Mayo was the prime example.

“Look, he’s not the only guy that stunk tonight,” Carlisle said. “I stunk, too. I’ll readily admit that, and I’ve been admitting it all year. But I’m passionate about not wanting to stink.

“That’s where I have trouble reconciling things.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    2013 Masters final day TV rating - 10.2
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2084209/

2012 NBA finals 5 game average TV rating - 10.1
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/06/22/f....ap/index.html

I watched The Masters over the Pacers-Knicks on Sunday. I love the Pacers, but there are 82 Pacers regular season games. There's only one Masters Sunday though, and there's nothing like it. It's one of the the two or three best sporting days of the year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Unfortunately, yes... can't help but completely agree with Rick. My big concern with OJAM when we signed him was whether he could gel with Dirk. I was afraid he'd be taking too many shots away from #41... but it turns out, as soon as Dirk came back, it's like Mayo forgot how to play basketball. Mistakes on simple plays, lack of aggression (he averaged less than 1 FTA per game in the last month!) and heartless defense... I am afraid he's going to opt in this summer, now...

Carlisle put on a brave face and supported Odom last season... never buried him like this. I'm guessing Mayo is a goner. Actually, as a Mavs fan, I hope they burn the roster to the ground and resurface with only Dirk, Marion, Vince and Crowder. If Brand is as cheap going forward as he was this year, I'm all for bringing him back, but I'm guessing he'll be up for a pay raise that the Mavs can't afford.

Still keeping the Dwight pipedream alive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I watched The Masters over the Pacers-Knicks on Sunday. I love the Pacers, but there are 82 Pacers regular season games. There's only one Masters Sunday though, and there's nothing like it. It's one of the the two or three best sporting days of the year.
    That is fine.

My only point is and I have looked up the numbers is that here are the number of viewers (in millions) for Master vs NBA Finals

game 2 - 16.2 game 3 - 16.7, game 4 - 17.5 game 5 - 18.4.

Viewers for the Masters in its peak hour (not the average for the whole telecast like theNBA is) was 14.7. That was from 7:00 - 7:57 Sunday evening. For the whole telecast which I think was from 3:00 - 7:57 I have not been able to find average viewers - but it is probably in the 12 range.

Wow, that's out of character for Rick. OJ really pissed him off.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Unfortunately, yes... can't help but completely agree with Rick. My big concern with OJAM when we signed him was whether he could gel with Dirk. I was afraid he'd be taking too many shots away from #41... but it turns out, as soon as Dirk came back, it's like Mayo forgot how to play basketball. Mistakes on simple plays, lack of aggression (he averaged less than 1 FTA per game in the last month!) and heartless defense... I am afraid he's going to opt in this summer, now...

Carlisle put on a brave face and supported Odom last season... never buried him like this. I'm guessing Mayo is a goner. Actually, as a Mavs fan, I hope they burn the roster to the ground and resurface with only Dirk, Marion, Vince and Crowder. If Brand is as cheap going forward as he was this year, I'm all for bringing him back, but I'm guessing he'll be up for a pay raise that the Mavs can't afford.

Still keeping the Dwight pipedream alive.
    If he opts in, do you think they would consider taking Gerald Green for 2 seasons just to move on from Mayo? I think it'd be a good gamble for the Pacers on the other end of it (and it could easily fail, too).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If he opts in, do you think they would consider taking Gerald Green for 2 seasons just to move on from Mayo? I think it'd be a good gamble for the Pacers on the other end of it (and it could easily fail, too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDX9RK5pUg

Skip to 0:32

On a related note, does anyone know how to embed YouTube clips here at certain timestamps?
    Last edited by spreedom; 04-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Rick Carlisle rips O.J. Mayo

DALLAS -- Rick Carlisle bolted a couple of steps onto the court, right in the path of O.J. Mayo dribbling up the sideline, to frantically call a timeout midway through the fourth quarter.

After the referee blew the whistle, Carlisle shot a disgusted stare toward Mayo. The Dallas Mavericks coach appeared to resist the urge to rip the ball away from his 25-year-old shooting guard, who had two sloppy turnovers and a weak foul on a made layup in the minute and a half before that uncomfortable moment.

“I called that timeout just to get you out of the game!” Carlisle screamed at Mayo in the huddle, according to one player.

Just in case Mayo didn’t get the message, Carlisle made his criticism loud and clear during his postgame news conference after the Mavs’ 103-97 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies. Mayo had a miserable performance against his former team, scoring only two points on 1-of-6 shooting and committing four turnovers before watching crunch time from the pine.

“I just want to see him show up,” said Carlisle, who was as harsh publicly with a player as he’s been since calling out Lamar Odom at the end of the his strange midseason sabbatical. “I just want to see him show up and compete. He didn’t compete tonight.

“And I tell you, with all the time we’ve put into helping him develop and bringing him along, in the biggest game of the year -- an opportunity to be a winning team -- for him to show up like he did tonight, I was shocked.

"Look, sometimes guys have bad nights, so make sure to put that in there, too.”

The trouble is that Mayo tends to have bad nights against the West’s best teams. He has averaged only 10.6 points while shooting 38.2 percent from the floor and 19.0 percent from 3-point range against the conference’s top five seeds. Not coincidentally, the Mavs were 3-15 in those games.

Mayo was especially poor all season against the Grizzlies, a team that tried to trade the former No. 3 overall pick repeatedly and showed no interest in re-signing him last summer. He averaged only 8.5 points and had more turnovers (15) than assists (11) against Memphis this season.

“He just had a bad night,” Carlisle said after making a point to mention that the coaches showed Mayo film at halftime “where he was virtually just standing around defensively” and essentially implored him to mentally check into the game. “I guess I’ll write it off to that.

“But I tell you what, if I was playing against my former team, I’d come out ready to go. I’d come out ready to go at them. But that’s me. You know, that’s me.”

The bad nights have come in bunches for Mayo lately. His production has plummeted since the All-Star break, when he was averaging a team-high 17.9 points per game with the best shooting percentages of his career. His numbers have tailed off drastically in the last month and a half, averaging 11.8 points in March and only 9.0 in April.

Mayo’s good games, such as his 20-point, six-assist outing in last week’s upset of the Denver Nuggets, have been the exception recently. The poor performances are increasingly becoming the norm.

“Well,” Carlisle said, “the good news is there’s only an opportunity for one more.”

Just one more game before the Mavs begin the franchise’s longest offseason in a dozen years. And that wasn’t exactly a case of Carlisle, who had previously stated that he thought Mayo could be a starter on a contending team, welcoming Mayo back next season.

It’s been widely expected that Mayo, who has a player option in his contract for a $4.2 million salary next season, would decide to test the free agency market again this summer. However, Mayo recently told ESPNDallas.com that he hasn’t made a decision on whether to exercise his option to return to Dallas next season instead of looking for a long-term deal.

How many millions has Mayo lost in the last month and a half? At this point, it might make sense for him to try to put together a consistently solid season before testing the market again.

Mayo apparently didn’t have anything to say after Monday night’s loss. He dressed and left the locker room by the time the media was allowed to enter.

“I don’t know. You’ve got to ask O.J,” Dirk Nowitzki when asked about Mayo’s performance, considering Carlisle’s comments. “There are some nights where your jumper’s not going. We all go through it. You have to compete and play hard on both ends of the floor and impact obviously the game on other levels. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Carlisle can live with off-shooting nights. In fact, he made a point to heap praise on Mayo after his worst shooting game of the season, raving about the shooting guard’s hustle, toughness and all-around performance after Mayo was 1-of-13 from the floor while playing with an injured left shoulder in the March 30 comeback win over the Chicago Bulls.

But Carlisle can’t stand a lack of effort and lackluster focus. He’s given Mayo a lot of tough love in practices and film sessions this season. Carlisle let the world hear that criticism Monday night.

Carlisle didn’t single out Mayo when he talked about the daunting experience of young Mavs who have had the “opportunity to sit at the grown-ups’ table this year and see what it’s like to have more responsibility.” It was clear, though, that Mayo was the prime example.

“Look, he’s not the only guy that stunk tonight,” Carlisle said. “I stunk, too. I’ll readily admit that, and I’ve been admitting it all year. But I’m passionate about not wanting to stink.

“That’s where I have trouble reconciling things.”
    OJ Mayo has been one of those players that was just bad coming out of USC, had some pretty solid seasons and now he's with an okay team and he is the second best player behind Dirk. He just hasn't lived up to his contract and hasn't lived up to Rick's expectations of him. I have no problem with him being angry with Mayo, but a coach with Rick's experience should know not to rip him to the media. It's just a reflection of the Mavs' disappointing season.
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    OJ Mayo has been one of those players that was just bad coming out of USC, had some pretty solid seasons and now he's with an okay team and he is the second best player behind Dirk. He just hasn't lived up to his contract and hasn't lived up to Rick's expectations of him. I have no problem with him being angry with Mayo, but a coach with Rick's experience should know not to rip him to the media. It's just a reflection of the Mavs' disappointing season.
    Hasn't lived up to his contract? Dude is only makin 5 mil a year, and has had a pretty good season. He was KILLING it earlier in the season, and has struggled since Dirk came back.

I definitely feel that he's surpassed his contract this year.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hasn't lived up to his contract? Dude is only makin 5 mil a year, and has had a pretty good season. He was KILLING it earlier in the season, and has struggled since Dirk came back.

I definitely feel that he's surpassed his contract this year.
    Throughout the season his flaws were exposed to why he is a marginal starter, he left Memphis to prove he could be the star (max-salary) player of a team, and he hasn't shown he can be.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

He showed he is good, but not great, something we already knew when playing in Memphis.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Toronto beating the Hawks up.

We might have a chance to face ATL in the first round.

Woohoo!

I was prepared to take on Chicago. I still want to take on Chicago. Would be so much sweeter.
    @qandrews9428

Bulls fans would jack up ticket prices. I'll take the Hawks please.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Banned

Atlanta is tanking to get the Pacers lol

This game is so bad. My eyes hurt.
    @qandrews9428

The Raptors are quickly becoming our BFFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Unless you want to play Chicago.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Unless you want to play Chicago.
    I just have the feeling that the Bulls are going to unleash Rose in the playoffs.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Banned

I just have the feeling that the Bulls are going to unleash Rose in the playoffs.
    I think so too.

Sports Logo

The Raptors are our BFFs. They gave us Roy.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I cannot imagine how this would end up well for Rose and the Bulls.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Atlanta is tanking to get the Pacers lol
    Or they're just bad, which would explain why Kyle Korver is their best wing player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They also rested Horford and barely played their starters. They're obviously hoping to drop in the standings.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Kyrie Irving with some snarky comments:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-...coach-1.390079

But Irving’s peculiar behavior after the game quickly became just as interesting as another loss in a season filled with them. While the rest of the players lined up to hand selected fans their jerseys and shoes as part of Fan Appreciation Night, Irving immediately sprinted off the court at the buzzer and into the locker room. Irving’s quick exit left a staff member to scramble back to the locker room and gather a jersey and pair of Irving’s shoes to be handed out by someone else.

Coach Byron Scott said he thought Irving was injured on the game’s final play and a team spokesman announced in the locker room just prior to Irving meeting with reporters that he had suffered a bruised right heel. Irving acted surprised upon hearing that.

“That’s what I have? Oh, when was someone going to tell me that?” Irving said. “I’m hurt again? Damn. How long am I going to be out, 4 to 6 weeks?”

Asked when he was injured, Irving said he was fine.

“They said I have a bruised heel, but I’m fine,” he said. “I felt it in the first half. Felt something in my heel, but I’m OK.”
    Ouch. Sounds like his coach and his team tried to cover for his abrupt exit, but young Kyrie's too bitter to appreciate it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: