Page 157 of 178 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This only applies if you think the worst team in the WC is better than the Pacers. We could go with that if the Pacers were a doughnut against the West, but they are 18-11.

Let's play a little game and do some calculations based on our current winning percentages against the East and West multiplied by the increased number of games.

One of our remaining games is against the West, for the sake of argument I'll assume we would lose it, that makes us 18-12, or 60%. Simplifying it (not taking into account what division and whether we'd play who 4 times or 3 or whatever), for 52 games that would make us 31-21 in the conference.

Our record against the East, again for argument's sake assuming we lose out, would be 30-22, or 57% (oh, look, WORSE than our record against the West...) or, assuming we play the EXACT percentage we have now, should be 65% or 34-18. Using the worst case, our new "western conference" record against those wimpy East teams would be 17-13, and the average case would be 20-10. In the former situation, we'd total 48-34. In the latter, we'd be 51-31. Those are percentages of .585 and .622, respectively. If everyone in the West finishes this year with the EXACT percentage they have RIGHT NOW, we'd be 6th. Gosh, JUST WHERE USING OUR CURRENT RECORD PLACES US.

Now, that would be skewed a bit depending which division we were in playing either LAC or SAS 4 times vs playing them only 3, perhaps, but this shows that the current record is really not that far off from where we'd be if we were really playing in the West.

Now, this is without using the intangible of perhaps building a team differently based on the higher offense style in the West, or having more of an ability to adjust based on playing teams a third or fourth time or even speculating which of those super west conference teams would end up in the east if we were in the west.

Bottom line, though, is that it is NOT BEYOND THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY that we'd be AT LEAST a mid-level playoff team in the West.

Who is debating your last statement? I said the Pacers would be a 6th seed if in the WC. Uncle Buck said even with the Pacers current record they'd only have the 6th best record. IMO, too many feel the Pacers would be competing for a 2-3 seed as if they were in the EC. I was just trying to point out that's being Pacer optimistic to the nth degree. I'm sure we both agree the Pacers would be a playoff team in the WC, just not seeded as high as in the EC.

People need to look at the conferences standings. Milwaukee is in 8 place with Philly so far back with little hope to overtake the Bucks. OTOH, the WC has a number of teams fighting for the playoffs with each having a chance to make it. The parity among WC teams is so much closer than the parity of the EC teams. IIRC, the 3 teams in the NBA with the fewest wins are Charlotte, Orlando, and Cleveland. Both Charlotte and Orlando have less than 20 wins while the fewest wins in the WC is Phoenix with 23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Reggie loving the Pacers, good. But I wonder why the organization hasn't reach out to Reggie for some pep talks, off season shooting coaching, etc.... Dude lives in Malibu, PG and Granger both live in LA during the offseason. But I recall an article back when Reggie had his recent TNT broadcast in Bankerslife, and I recall him saying that the Pacers have never asked him to visit the team or anything. Crazy if that is true.

They don't want him because he doesn't know what smashmouth basketball is.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I was just trying to point out that's being Pacer optimistic to the nth degree. I'm sure we both agree the Pacers would be a playoff team in the WC, just not seeded as high as in the EC.
    I guess my problem is that I agree it is optimistic, but not necessarily to "the nth degree". It doesn't take many changes in training camp or personnel to focus on the idea that 52 games will be played against West style ball vs. East style ball. It's optimistic because there's nothing close to facts that would show it to be a certainty, but when you think that playing exactly the way we have been this season, only suddenly being thrust into the West, makes us 6th, it isn't ridiculous at all to think that by actually being prepared to play a season in that environment we wouldn't be able to step it up and move to the upper half. 2nd is perhaps a bit too far, but 3-4?

And there actually has been some implication that because the competition in the West is so much better the Pacers might do WORSE than in the East (that directly comparing the records skewed the results), which is what I was answering.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

WOO GO HAWKS!

Re "if the Pacers were in the West, they'd have to play more top teams" arguments... well, so would the Grizzlies and the Nuggets and the Clippers. I mean, they would have one more strong team in their conference, no? Their records would suffer as well.

In the end, there's no argument that the Pacers are 48-27 right now, which would be 6th in the West and 9th overall. There's also no argument that the Pacers started the season 10-11 and then Paul George broke out. And since then, the Pacers have top 4 or top 5 record in the league. So they are playing a bit better lately than their record would show. Overall, I don't see a good argument of why the Pacers aren't at the same level as the Grizzlies or the Clippers. I think there's a group of top contenders (Miami, OKC, SA) and then a group of B-level contenders (Clippers, Indiana, Nuggets, Memphis, possibly NY, not sure about them). The Nuggets might be out of that group right now because of the Lawson injury, and the Clippers would easily be in the top tier if they found a coach who would draw some offensive plays for their starting lineup. But the Pacers IMO are clearly in that group.

As for what would be if would be... i think it's more complicated and less predictable than we could tackle here.

Anyway, I'm surprised that my post two days ago started this whole emotional (and even condescending in case of some posters) discussion about East vs. West. And that this discussion is still alive.
    I don't think anyone would argue that West is a bit deeper.
    In that post, I was simply replying to a guy who pointed out that the East's 10th team had 27 wins. Which was historically bad -- on pace to be the worst 10th team in the East in over a decade -- but the Wizards will likely win enough games to avoid it. I said it's because of injuries, and that the West would also improve if healthy. And for some reason, it turned into this whole drama.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

man carmelo stop shooting

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    man carmelo stop shooting
    Why?

If a guy is as talented as Carmelo at scoring, and he's as red hot as melo is right now, there are few things more entertaining than watching him run it up.

Reminds me a little of 2006 Kobe.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

If Atlanta can beat the Knicks and the Bucks can beat the Wolves, i'll call this a great day.
    If the Pistons could somehow beat the Celtics on top of it...

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Jrue Holiday's in the midst of a 1-21 shooting night

Ahh, Calderon is out. Pistons look imposing and a mess at the same time.

Sports Logo

12/15/3 for everyone's favorite Pacer McBob tonight. Guy's been pretty good in Charlotte.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Why?

If a guy is as talented as Carmelo at scoring, and he's as red hot as melo is right now, there are few things more entertaining than watching him run it up.

Reminds me a little of 2006 Kobe.
    haha. was being sarcastic :<. just wanted the knicks to lose, looks like it is not not going to happen this game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

RT @johnschuhmann Obligatory tweet: The Bobcats are now 5-1 in home games that Josh McRoberts has started.

Dude's ballin. Real happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

12/15/3 for everyone's favorite Pacer McBob tonight. Guy's been pretty good in Charlotte.

So was Augustin. So is Gerald Henderson.

Still I wish McBob well. Hopefully, MJ will think so too, and McBob won't have to look for another new team for next season. It will be interesting to see what kind of money McBob gets on next years contract.

Sports Logo

Geez....Melo is on fire.

Also...Frickin Hawks fans were chanting MVP to Melo at the end of the game. I hate it when home town fans start chanting MVP for the opposing Teams Players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

With Atlanta's loss the absolute worst seed the Pacers can get is 5th

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Man that MVP chant for Melo in Atlanta just disgusts me I really hate the NBA sometimes

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Man that MVP chant for Melo in Atlanta just disgusts me I really hate the NBA sometimes

Yeah that was really loud just horrible.

Sota-Bucks is a fun game

Such different teams. So many unique players.

Rubio is killing the Bucks defensively.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 04-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Sports Logo

how's Utah 28-9 at home and 11-27 on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    how's Utah 28-9 at home and 11-27 on the road?
    4200 ft above sea level?

Denver is 33-3 at home and 17-21 on the road.

The Pacers need to get a mountain.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Geez....Melo is on fire.

Also...Frickin Hawks fans were chanting MVP to Melo at the end of the game. I hate it when home town fans start chanting MVP for the opposing Teams Players.
    I doubt those were Hawks fans. Probably a bunch of transplanted New Yorkers in Atlanta who went to the game.

Sports Logo

yeesh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    If Atlanta can beat the Knicks and the Bucks can beat the Wolves, i'll call this a great day.
    If the Pistons could somehow beat the Celtics on top of it...
    Way to jinx every single game

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    The Pacers need to get a mountain.
    They have one; its name is Roy Hibbert. And it will shake a mother****er.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post: