Page 124 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Miami has trouble guarding two types of players: a dominant post-up scorer and a penetrating quick PG. For three and a half quarters last week, Lamarcus Aldridge and Damien Lillard were absolutely killing them, but they ran out of gas at the end of the 5th game on a road trip.

We don't have the penetrating quick PG, but somehow, someway we have to get Roy to be a threat inside. Bosh does not want to guard anybody in the paint and Haslem is 6'8".
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miami has trouble guarding two types of players: a dominant post-up scorer and a penetrating quick PG. For three and a half quarters last week, Lamarcus Aldridge and Damien Lillard were absolutely killing them, but they ran out of gas at the end of the 5th game on a road trip.

We don't have the penetrating quick PG, but somehow, someway we have to get Roy to be a threat inside. Bosh does not want to guard anybody in the paint and Haslem is 6'8".
    With their limited size, David West is the man for that role. Hell, even Tyler can burn them when they guard him with small forwards.

But no, we don't have a penetrating quick PG. Although I'm not completely convinced Hill couldn't score on Chalmers anyway. Actually, we might post him up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He changes the channel to the Heat-Jazz game. During the broadcast, he is the answer to a trivia question. This is the court where he made his most famous shot, and he points to the place where he took it. He remembers how tired he felt at the end of that game. A cellphone rests on Jordan's chest. His legs stretch out on a tree-trunk coffee table.

"What's Bird up to?" Jordan asks.
    "Down in Naples," Buckner says.
    "Playing golf every day?" Jordan asks.
    "Bored," Buckner says.
    "Think he'll ever get back in?" Jordan asks.
    "He'll damn sure get back in it," Buckner says. "He didn't say it, but I just know him."

excerpt from: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page...-left-building

Edit: Am i the only one having trouble with line breaks?
    Last edited by immortality; 02-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Yeah, because we couldn't stop Wade (who is or was far more important / dangerous than Bosh), we didn't do a good enough job on their 3 point shooters, and we didn't do a good enough job exploiting them in the post on offense.

It could repeat itself, but I think we're more likely to pull it out this year than we were last year for various reasons. I just think what that would probably look like is LeBron scoring above his average while everyone else scores below theirs (or with some exceptions scoring just AT their average and not above it). That's all I'm really trying to say.
    Right, we lost the series mainly because Spo made the adjustment to start running Wade of screens (which PG struggled to guard at the time), and Wade actually made his jumpshots. And the Pacers didn't really have a counter move, other than to hope that Wade missed.

Both Wade and Lebron had to go "MVP" on us to beat us last season.

This season, the Heat has two problems in that regard. The first is, although he's not fantastic at it, PG has improved at guarding the moving player, rather than just being an on ball defender.

Second, PG is a scorer now. So which one, PG or Granger..is Wade going to have to guard? (I suppose they could go big with Wade, Lebron, Battier, Bosh, and Haslem. But that means there's a lack of shooters on the floor for them on offense, and West is still likely to abuse Bosh. Not to mention, do the Heat really want to play a slowed down, defensive game with us?)

And I agree, perhaps Lebron could beat us once, with him playing at his highest level, and no one else playing well. But they won't win a series like that. In fact, last year pretty much showed that. We were up 2-1 with Lebron playing his best. They couldn't win without the other players stepping up. (I'm not saying don't try to guard Lebron. I'm just saying making him the focus of our defense doesn't have to be the only option. And may not be the best option when you consider that part of what makes Lebron playing at his best is when he gets others involved.)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    He changes the channel to the Heat-Jazz game. During the broadcast, he is the answer to a trivia question. This is the court where he made his most famous shot, and he points to the place where he took it. He remembers how tired he felt at the end of that game. A cellphone rests on Jordan's chest. His legs stretch out on a tree-trunk coffee table.

"What's Bird up to?" Jordan asks.
    "Down in Naples," Buckner says.
    "Playing golf every day?" Jordan asks.
    "Bored," Buckner says.
    "Think he'll ever get back in?" Jordan asks.
    "He'll damn sure get back in it," Buckner says. "He didn't say it, but I just know him."

excerpt from: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page...-left-building

Edit: Am i the only one having trouble with line breaks?
    I think this may even deserve its own thread. Seems like Quinn is pretty sure Bird's coming back sooner or later. But the questions are: 1) When 2) To Indiana, or someplace (Seattle?) else?

Mood

You know what the 'funny' / cruel part is? As much as I could see us beating the Heat... I think OKC would beat our brains in. Ibaka really puts West in a tough spot, Perkins can keep Roy down, and that leaves our backcourt versus their backcourt.

Even assuming Granger returns and is basically his old self, even with Paul and Lance's improvements... yeah, that's tough.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blah, Bosh is taking Rondo's spot as the starter

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Was inevitable with Spo coaching the team.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Completely random but I lol-ed

JJ Watt is a beast and look how tiny he looks next to Yao.
    Yao's gotta have the most voluminous head in human history

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know what the 'funny' / cruel part is? As much as I could see us beating the Heat... I think OKC would beat our brains in. Ibaka really puts West in a tough spot, Perkins can keep Roy down, and that leaves our backcourt versus their backcourt.

Even assuming Granger returns and is basically his old self, even with Paul and Lance's improvements... yeah, that's tough.
    We are built to beat the Heat....OKC or the Spurs....not so much

Philly legends educate Bynum.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Shoulda been Kyrie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Harden looks like Urkle in that blue suit and glasses as he coaches in the celeb game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Hornets and Cavs have a national t.v.?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Shoulda been Kyrie
    Makes way too much sense.,,

RLeWorm

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Right, we lost the series mainly because Spo made the adjustment to start running Wade of screens (which PG struggled to guard at the time), and Wade actually made his jumpshots. And the Pacers didn't really have a counter move, other than to hope that Wade missed.

Both Wade and Lebron had to go "MVP" on us to beat us last season.

This season, the Heat has two problems in that regard. The first is, although he's not fantastic at it, PG has improved at guarding the moving player, rather than just being an on ball defender.

Second, PG is a scorer now. So which one, PG or Granger..is Wade going to have to guard? (I suppose they could go big with Wade, Lebron, Battier, Bosh, and Haslem. But that means there's a lack of shooters on the floor for them on offense, and West is still likely to abuse Bosh. Not to mention, do the Heat really want to play a slowed down, defensive game with us?)

And I agree, perhaps Lebron could beat us once, with him playing at his highest level, and no one else playing well. But they won't win a series like that. In fact, last year pretty much showed that. We were up 2-1 with Lebron playing his best. They couldn't win without the other players stepping up. (I'm not saying don't try to guard Lebron. I'm just saying making him the focus of our defense doesn't have to be the only option. And may not be the best option when you consider that part of what makes Lebron playing at his best is when he gets others involved.)
    I really hope what you're saying is true. I really want beat the Heat this year. Can't let them beat us twice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    The Hornets and Cavs have a national t.v.?
    What makes it even worse is the competition that night. The other 8:00 games are Miami at Atlanta, Brooklyn at Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City at Houston, all of which are better games.

But what I'd do is use the completely defensible argument of "Sure, it's highly unlikely anyone but Miami is coming out of the East, but if anyone does, it's probably one of these two teams" and move the Knicks at Pacers game from 7 to 8 to put it on national TV.

Sports Logo

this rookie/soph game is just awkward

Sources: Lakers, Celtics Hold Talks On Howard-Rondo Trade
    Feb 15, 2013 9:44 PM EST

The Los Angeles Lakers have engaged in preliminary discussions with the Boston Celtics on a trade centering on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo, according to sources.

The potential deal has not gained any traction, and other significant pieces would need to be involved.

The Lakers have adamantly stated publicly and privately that they will not deal Howard before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason, according to a league source.

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports
    Dwight Howard, Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA, NBA Trade Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor
    Read the

Wow

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by granger4mvp View Post

The Los Angeles Lakers have engaged in preliminary discussions with the Boston Celtics on a trade centering on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo, according to sources.

The potential deal has not gained any traction, and other significant pieces would need to be involved.

The Lakers have adamantly stated publicly and privately that they will not deal Howard before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason, according to a league source.

Dwight Howard, Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA, NBA Trade Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor
    Read the

Wow
    It wouldn't surprise me honestly, I could see where the Celtics could really want Dwight w/ KG there hopefully to keep his *** in check. Rondo would do great next to Kobe but no idea how that would work until next year, and obviously the Lakers would want some of Boston's other players to give them depth for the rest of this season, maybe part ways w/ Nash after season.

All of that would be good and all, but I don't think there's a chance it happens because Dwight isn't going to commit long term w/ Celtics.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Irving just killed a guy.... LOL

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Brandon Knight, not really fair really, Knights a decent player but not an all-star like Irving is.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by granger4mvp View Post

Read the

Wow
    A week or so ago George Karl said back in the 90s him and some other coaches had a contest to see who could make up the craziest trade and leak it to the media and get it in print.

This reminds me of that.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I think this may even deserve its own thread. Seems like Quinn is pretty sure Bird's coming back sooner or later. But the questions are: 1) When 2) To Indiana, or someplace (Seattle?) else?
    LOL probably the Bobcats. Jordan will get tired of losing and turn it over to a more experienced GM. This is also how Tyler Hansbrough ends up in a Bobcats uniform.

He Traveled. Took a hop step and step back to shoot. Knight just slipped on the court, it wasn't a foot fumbling ankle breaker move. But it did look sick.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post: