Page 122 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great point. Not to mention the 2 losses in the Finals were pretty rough (Swept by the Spurs, then his absolute choke against Dallas in the last 4 games).
    Can't forget him absolutely quitting on his team in game 5 against the Celtics in in the second round of 2009 (uninspired 15 points on 14 shots) Though he had a triple double in game 6 just had an off shooting night.

Me and my brother argue Lebron to death because he is such a Lebron James fan.

To me, Lebron is the most talented athlete to ever play in the NBA (and one of the best athletes in professional sports HISTORY) I think people WANT him to have Jordan's mentality, because if he did, he would probably be even more dominant than he already has been. But does that mean that Jordan is that much greater than Lebron?

Take a guy like Kobe for example. At one point people argued whether Vince Carter was better than Kobe, or whether Tracy McGrady were better than Kobe. If Kobe didn't have the absolute NEED to be better than those guys, and to be considered "the next MJ" (even though he falls short) he probably wouldn't have been as great as he's been for so long. By sheer competitiveness and maximizing his talent, Kobe has placed himself in conversation of the all time greats.

Meanwhile, Lebron was averaging 27, 7 and 7...as a 20 year old and 2 years removed from High School! He's been considered the undisputed best player in the league for a while. With his athletic prowess and natural gifts, Lebron was going to be really good no matter what. His competitiveness and even the pressure probably pushed him to become great. With that said we will DEFINITELY see another Kobe Bryant or two, before we ever see another Lebron James.

If an athlete can go 85-90% of their maximum capacity; saving that extra 10-15% for when they REALLY want to turn it on, and still be considered with the all time greats..how does he compare to a guy that HAD to go all out, 100% of the time in order to achieve the same level of greatness?

Then when you take it back to the original scale and compare Lebron to Jordan, if Lebron wins 6 or more rings, by going 85-90% most of the time, only to turn it up when he wants, does that make him greater than a guy that only knew 100%, 100% of the time?

billbradley

IDK if someone already posted, but a slow D.Rose warming up...

https://vine.co/v/bvpVZwlT3DA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Me and my brother argue Lebron to death because he is such a Lebron James fan.

To me, Lebron is the most talented athlete to ever play in the NBA (and one of the best athletes in professional sports HISTORY) I think people WANT him to have Jordan's mentality, because if he did, he would probably be even more dominant than he already has been. But does that mean that Jordan is that much greater than Lebron?

Take a guy like Kobe for example. At one point people argued whether Vince Carter was better than Kobe, or whether Tracy McGrady were better than Kobe. If Kobe didn't have the absolute NEED to be better than those guys, and to be considered "the next MJ" (even though he falls short) he probably wouldn't have been as great as he's been for so long. By sheer competitiveness and maximizing his talent, Kobe has placed himself in conversation of the all time greats.

Meanwhile, Lebron was averaging 27, 7 and 7...as a 20 year old and 2 years removed from High School! He's been considered the undisputed best player in the league for a while. With his athletic prowess and natural gifts, Lebron was going to be really good no matter what. His competitiveness and even the pressure probably pushed him to become great. With that said we will DEFINITELY see another Kobe Bryant or two, before we ever see another Lebron James.

If an athlete can go 85-90% of their maximum capacity; saving that extra 10-15% for when they REALLY want to turn it on, and still be considered with the all time greats..how does he compare to a guy that HAD to go all out, 100% of the time in order to achieve the same level of greatness?

Then when you take it back to the original scale and compare Lebron to Jordan, if Lebron wins 6 or more rings, by going 85-90% most of the time, only to turn it up when he wants, does that make him greater than a guy that only knew 100%, 100% of the time?

It's rare, really rare, to have Lebron's athletic gifts.

I think it's rarer to have MJ and Kobe's mentality. In fact, so rare, that those are the only two guys I'd put in that category in the NBA. (I'm actually close to calling it a mental disorder. Like...I don't know that it's healthy.)

I also think, as others have said, we need to let Lebron's career play itself out. At his athletic peak, he's incredibly efficient. And yes, his skills have certainly increased over the years. But they aren't close to what Kobe's are (Or were). (Post up game, footwork, shooting - yes, Lebron has improved...but as he gets older, the shots he's taking will be more difficult etc..)

Right now, he can do anything he wants to do on the court, because his body allows him to. But that's not going to last forever. In fact, I doubt it lasts much more than 2 years more. So where he stands when its all said and done will also depend on how his game adjusts.

Kobe adjusted so well because he had that will and mentality. Once again, I'm not saying Lebron can't adjust..I'm just saying that part of Lebron's "legacy" will come from how he plays after his athletic peak...and that's coming soon.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT

NBA has suspended Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu for 20 games, for violating drug policy. Turkoglu tested positive for methenolone, league says.

BUSTED!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It's rare, really rare, to have Lebron's athletic gifts.

I think it's rarer to have MJ and Kobe's mentality. In fact, so rare, that those are the only two guys I'd put in that category in the NBA. (I'm actually close to calling it a mental disorder. Like...I don't know that it's healthy.)

I also think, as others have said, we need to let Lebron's career play itself out. At his athletic peak, he's incredibly efficient. And yes, his skills have certainly increased over the years. But they aren't close to what Kobe's are (Or were). (Post up game, footwork, shooting - yes, Lebron has improved...but as he gets older, the shots he's taking will be more difficult etc..)

Right now, he can do anything he wants to do on the court, because his body allows him to. But that's not going to last forever. In fact, I doubt it lasts much more than 2 years more. So where he stands when its all said and done will also depend on how his game adjusts.

Kobe adjusted so well because he had that will and mentality. Once again, I'm not saying Lebron can't adjust..I'm just saying that part of Lebron's "legacy" will come from how he plays after his athletic peak...and that's coming soon.

Great points. Lebron looks like he has added more to his mid-range game, but most of his career has been defined by his physical supremacy. As you say, he is at the absolute peak of that right now and in about two years when he hits 30 it will start to go downhill.

Watch videos of 45 when he was a young cat and compare them to videos of him from the second three peat. It's almost like it's not even the same player. Young Jordan was always exploding to the rim and dunking over fools because his body allowed him to do that. But he couldn't do that anymore once he was in his 30's, at least not at the level he once did. Thus, he perfected the art of mid-range jumpers, post-up moves, and fade-aways. That's what Mamba did too when he aged. For Lebron to be at a Kobe/Jordan level, he is going to have to refine his game when he gets into his 30's. That's what made Kobe and Jordan so special. When Lebron is willing his team to a championship at age 35 like 45 did, then maybe he'll deserve to be ranked on Jordan's level.

I find all of the Jordan/Lebron comparisons to be silly when there is still a player in the NBA in Kobe who has had a better career than Lebron. Kobe obviously had a seven year head start on Lebron, but Lebron still has a ways to go before one can say that he had a better career than Kobe.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

In today's fun with numbers, this is the list of guys who've put up 17/7/3.5 on 38% from 3. Bird, Durant, Lebron, Fat Lever, and Paul George. That's it. Lebron and PG obviously have to keep it up all year.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Pierce, nice time you chose to imitate Kobe's 4 point night...
    Last edited by Johanvil; 02-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Raptors vs. Knicks. Rudy Gay 8 points on 19 shots, Melo 9 points on 20 shots. What a matchup.

Banned

Toronto has become a fun team to watch, they are beating NY right now.

Bulls and Knicks lose.

Sports Logo

Boston beat Chicago, Toronto beat New York and we won. That' nice
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Boston beat Chicago, Toronto beat New York and we won. That' nice
    Only thing that could have gone better is if Denver beat Brooklyn, can't win em all though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

...whatever that means

Don't know where this belongs, so I'll toss it here: I went to Vegas recently and saw the Pacers were 20-1 odds to win the title. Naturally, I threw $50 on that baby. Needless to say, drinks are on me for PDers if they do win

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Melo may be out for the all-star game. (My guess is he'll just play limited minutes)

Would be pretty awesome if at the least it got PG some more play time/exposure, or the possibility that he starts in Melo's place.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Don't know where this belongs, so I'll toss it here: I went to Vegas recently and saw the Pacers were 20-1 odds to win the title. Naturally, I threw $50 on that baby. Needless to say, drinks are on me for PDers if they do win
    At the beginning of the season......I place my Championship bet on the Pacers to win it all when they were 25-1 odds. And as part of tradition, I did the same for the Warriors ( since I live in the Bay Area ) by placing my yearly $10 bet for them to win it all....at 100-1 odds. I know it's a longshot....but I'm hoping for a Warriors/Pacers NBA Finals....WHICH would be EPIC ( specifically for me )
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    At the beginning of the season......I place my Championship bet on the Pacers to win it all when they were 25-1 odds. And as part of tradition, I did the same for the Warriors ( since I live in the Bay Area ) by placing my yearly $10 bet for them to win it all....at 100-1 odds. I know it's a longshot....but I'm hoping for a Warriors/Pacers NBA Finals....WHICH would be EPIC ( specifically for me )
    other than always having the memory of the franchise you love costing you $750 attached to the joy of the Pacers finally winning

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    other than always having the memory of the franchise you love costing you $750 attached to the joy of the Pacers finally winning
    I'd sacrifice $750 right now for the Pacers to win the championship.
    Last edited by cgg; 02-14-2013 at 01:34 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think they were like 75-1 before the season started, so Vegas must actually see us as legitimate.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I think they were like 75-1 before the season started, so Vegas must actually see us as legitimate.
    Or since we have covered more than half of the season, they see who is top 5 in each conference for example and lower the odds.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Banned

@stevekylerNBA: NBA AM: Knicks, Mavs and Pacers Are Talking Deals: With the 2013 NBA Trade Deadline just a week a way there are ... http://t.co/XSp783b7

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    @stevekylerNBA: NBA AM: Knicks, Mavs and Pacers Are Talking Deals: With the 2013 NBA Trade Deadline just a week a way there are ... http://t.co/XSp783b7

DC for DJ would be hilarious.

Granger being traded news tripe is gets older by the day.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Surprised nothing is happening. I don't expect star type deals, but deals by teams to bolster positions they need strengthened, especially for playoff teams trying to make a splash or win it all. Like Miami trading for JO to bolster their 5 position. He's cheap, and he fills a need.

Maybe with team execs at the Allstar game rubbing elbows things will pick up.

The Heat seem to be getting...

better.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: