Page 122 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

  1. #3026
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,096

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great point. Not to mention the 2 losses in the Finals were pretty rough (Swept by the Spurs, then his absolute choke against Dallas in the last 4 games).
    Can't forget him absolutely quitting on his team in game 5 against the Celtics in in the second round of 2009 (uninspired 15 points on 14 shots) Though he had a triple double in game 6 just had an off shooting night.

  2. #3027
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,096

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Me and my brother argue Lebron to death because he is such a Lebron James fan.

    To me, Lebron is the most talented athlete to ever play in the NBA (and one of the best athletes in professional sports HISTORY) I think people WANT him to have Jordan's mentality, because if he did, he would probably be even more dominant than he already has been. But does that mean that Jordan is that much greater than Lebron?

    Take a guy like Kobe for example. At one point people argued whether Vince Carter was better than Kobe, or whether Tracy McGrady were better than Kobe. If Kobe didn't have the absolute NEED to be better than those guys, and to be considered "the next MJ" (even though he falls short) he probably wouldn't have been as great as he's been for so long. By sheer competitiveness and maximizing his talent, Kobe has placed himself in conversation of the all time greats.

    Meanwhile, Lebron was averaging 27, 7 and 7...as a 20 year old and 2 years removed from High School! He's been considered the undisputed best player in the league for a while. With his athletic prowess and natural gifts, Lebron was going to be really good no matter what. His competitiveness and even the pressure probably pushed him to become great. With that said we will DEFINITELY see another Kobe Bryant or two, before we ever see another Lebron James.

    If an athlete can go 85-90% of their maximum capacity; saving that extra 10-15% for when they REALLY want to turn it on, and still be considered with the all time greats..how does he compare to a guy that HAD to go all out, 100% of the time in order to achieve the same level of greatness?

    Then when you take it back to the original scale and compare Lebron to Jordan, if Lebron wins 6 or more rings, by going 85-90% most of the time, only to turn it up when he wants, does that make him greater than a guy that only knew 100%, 100% of the time?

  3. #3028
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    IDK if someone already posted, but a slow D.Rose warming up...

    https://vine.co/v/bvpVZwlT3DA

  4. #3029

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me and my brother argue Lebron to death because he is such a Lebron James fan.

    To me, Lebron is the most talented athlete to ever play in the NBA (and one of the best athletes in professional sports HISTORY) I think people WANT him to have Jordan's mentality, because if he did, he would probably be even more dominant than he already has been. But does that mean that Jordan is that much greater than Lebron?

    Take a guy like Kobe for example. At one point people argued whether Vince Carter was better than Kobe, or whether Tracy McGrady were better than Kobe. If Kobe didn't have the absolute NEED to be better than those guys, and to be considered "the next MJ" (even though he falls short) he probably wouldn't have been as great as he's been for so long. By sheer competitiveness and maximizing his talent, Kobe has placed himself in conversation of the all time greats.

    Meanwhile, Lebron was averaging 27, 7 and 7...as a 20 year old and 2 years removed from High School! He's been considered the undisputed best player in the league for a while. With his athletic prowess and natural gifts, Lebron was going to be really good no matter what. His competitiveness and even the pressure probably pushed him to become great. With that said we will DEFINITELY see another Kobe Bryant or two, before we ever see another Lebron James.

    If an athlete can go 85-90% of their maximum capacity; saving that extra 10-15% for when they REALLY want to turn it on, and still be considered with the all time greats..how does he compare to a guy that HAD to go all out, 100% of the time in order to achieve the same level of greatness?

    Then when you take it back to the original scale and compare Lebron to Jordan, if Lebron wins 6 or more rings, by going 85-90% most of the time, only to turn it up when he wants, does that make him greater than a guy that only knew 100%, 100% of the time?

    It's rare, really rare, to have Lebron's athletic gifts.

    I think it's rarer to have MJ and Kobe's mentality. In fact, so rare, that those are the only two guys I'd put in that category in the NBA. (I'm actually close to calling it a mental disorder. Like...I don't know that it's healthy.)

    I also think, as others have said, we need to let Lebron's career play itself out. At his athletic peak, he's incredibly efficient. And yes, his skills have certainly increased over the years. But they aren't close to what Kobe's are (Or were). (Post up game, footwork, shooting - yes, Lebron has improved...but as he gets older, the shots he's taking will be more difficult etc..)

    Right now, he can do anything he wants to do on the court, because his body allows him to. But that's not going to last forever. In fact, I doubt it lasts much more than 2 years more. So where he stands when its all said and done will also depend on how his game adjusts.

    Kobe adjusted so well because he had that will and mentality. Once again, I'm not saying Lebron can't adjust..I'm just saying that part of Lebron's "legacy" will come from how he plays after his athletic peak...and that's coming soon.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  6. #3030
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,185

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT

    NBA has suspended Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu for 20 games, for violating drug policy. Turkoglu tested positive for methenolone, league says.

    BUSTED!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  7. #3031
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's rare, really rare, to have Lebron's athletic gifts.

    I think it's rarer to have MJ and Kobe's mentality. In fact, so rare, that those are the only two guys I'd put in that category in the NBA. (I'm actually close to calling it a mental disorder. Like...I don't know that it's healthy.)

    I also think, as others have said, we need to let Lebron's career play itself out. At his athletic peak, he's incredibly efficient. And yes, his skills have certainly increased over the years. But they aren't close to what Kobe's are (Or were). (Post up game, footwork, shooting - yes, Lebron has improved...but as he gets older, the shots he's taking will be more difficult etc..)

    Right now, he can do anything he wants to do on the court, because his body allows him to. But that's not going to last forever. In fact, I doubt it lasts much more than 2 years more. So where he stands when its all said and done will also depend on how his game adjusts.

    Kobe adjusted so well because he had that will and mentality. Once again, I'm not saying Lebron can't adjust..I'm just saying that part of Lebron's "legacy" will come from how he plays after his athletic peak...and that's coming soon.

    Great points. Lebron looks like he has added more to his mid-range game, but most of his career has been defined by his physical supremacy. As you say, he is at the absolute peak of that right now and in about two years when he hits 30 it will start to go downhill.

    Watch videos of 45 when he was a young cat and compare them to videos of him from the second three peat. It's almost like it's not even the same player. Young Jordan was always exploding to the rim and dunking over fools because his body allowed him to do that. But he couldn't do that anymore once he was in his 30's, at least not at the level he once did. Thus, he perfected the art of mid-range jumpers, post-up moves, and fade-aways. That's what Mamba did too when he aged. For Lebron to be at a Kobe/Jordan level, he is going to have to refine his game when he gets into his 30's. That's what made Kobe and Jordan so special. When Lebron is willing his team to a championship at age 35 like 45 did, then maybe he'll deserve to be ranked on Jordan's level.

    I find all of the Jordan/Lebron comparisons to be silly when there is still a player in the NBA in Kobe who has had a better career than Lebron. Kobe obviously had a seven year head start on Lebron, but Lebron still has a ways to go before one can say that he had a better career than Kobe.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  9. #3032
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,066

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    In today's fun with numbers, this is the list of guys who've put up 17/7/3.5 on 38% from 3. Bird, Durant, Lebron, Fat Lever, and Paul George. That's it. Lebron and PG obviously have to keep it up all year.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  11. #3033
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,208

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Hey Pierce, nice time you chose to imitate Kobe's 4 point night...
    Last edited by Johanvil; 02-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  12. #3034

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Raptors vs. Knicks. Rudy Gay 8 points on 19 shots, Melo 9 points on 20 shots. What a matchup.

  13. #3035
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Toronto has become a fun team to watch, they are beating NY right now.

  14. #3036
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Bulls and Knicks lose.

  15. #3037
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,876

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Boston beat Chicago, Toronto beat New York and we won. That' nice
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  16. #3038
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boston beat Chicago, Toronto beat New York and we won. That' nice
    Only thing that could have gone better is if Denver beat Brooklyn, can't win em all though.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  18. #3039
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,066

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy




    ...whatever that means

  19. #3040
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,940

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Don't know where this belongs, so I'll toss it here: I went to Vegas recently and saw the Pacers were 20-1 odds to win the title. Naturally, I threw $50 on that baby. Needless to say, drinks are on me for PDers if they do win

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  21. #3041
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,056
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Melo may be out for the all-star game. (My guess is he'll just play limited minutes)

    Would be pretty awesome if at the least it got PG some more play time/exposure, or the possibility that he starts in Melo's place.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  22. #3042
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,362

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know where this belongs, so I'll toss it here: I went to Vegas recently and saw the Pacers were 20-1 odds to win the title. Naturally, I threw $50 on that baby. Needless to say, drinks are on me for PDers if they do win
    At the beginning of the season......I place my Championship bet on the Pacers to win it all when they were 25-1 odds. And as part of tradition, I did the same for the Warriors ( since I live in the Bay Area ) by placing my yearly $10 bet for them to win it all....at 100-1 odds. I know it's a longshot....but I'm hoping for a Warriors/Pacers NBA Finals....WHICH would be EPIC ( specifically for me )
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  24. #3043
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,066

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the beginning of the season......I place my Championship bet on the Pacers to win it all when they were 25-1 odds. And as part of tradition, I did the same for the Warriors ( since I live in the Bay Area ) by placing my yearly $10 bet for them to win it all....at 100-1 odds. I know it's a longshot....but I'm hoping for a Warriors/Pacers NBA Finals....WHICH would be EPIC ( specifically for me )
    other than always having the memory of the franchise you love costing you $750 attached to the joy of the Pacers finally winning

  25. #3044
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,908

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    other than always having the memory of the franchise you love costing you $750 attached to the joy of the Pacers finally winning
    I'd sacrifice $750 right now for the Pacers to win the championship.
    Last edited by cgg; 02-14-2013 at 01:34 AM.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  27. #3045
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know where this belongs, so I'll toss it here: I went to Vegas recently and saw the Pacers were 20-1 odds to win the title. Naturally, I threw $50 on that baby. Needless to say, drinks are on me for PDers if they do win
    I think they were like 75-1 before the season started, so Vegas must actually see us as legitimate.

  28. #3046
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,208

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they were like 75-1 before the season started, so Vegas must actually see us as legitimate.
    Or since we have covered more than half of the season, they see who is top 5 in each conference for example and lower the odds.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  29. #3047
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    @stevekylerNBA: NBA AM: Knicks, Mavs and Pacers Are Talking Deals: With the 2013 NBA Trade Deadline just a week a way there are ... http://t.co/XSp783b7

  30. #3048

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @stevekylerNBA: NBA AM: Knicks, Mavs and Pacers Are Talking Deals: With the 2013 NBA Trade Deadline just a week a way there are ... http://t.co/XSp783b7

    DC for DJ would be hilarious.

    Granger being traded news tripe is gets older by the day.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  32. #3049

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    Surprised nothing is happening. I don't expect star type deals, but deals by teams to bolster positions they need strengthened, especially for playoff teams trying to make a splash or win it all. Like Miami trading for JO to bolster their 5 position. He's cheap, and he fills a need.

    Maybe with team execs at the Allstar game rubbing elbows things will pick up.

  33. #3050

    Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

    The Heat seem to be getting...



    better.




    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5337
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
  2. Replies: 1673
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 11:30 PM
  3. Random NFL Thoughts: The Official Thread
    By Natston in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
  4. Random Thoughts NBA Edition Returns: 05-06 Thread
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1269
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 03:06 AM
  5. Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1525
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •