Page 121 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 4441

Thread: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Random Thoughts Thread IX: Ode to Joy

I really think what's going on with the Lakers is being over-hyped by the national media. They're barely out of the playoff race and they've been pretty injured so far. Of course they're going to struggle.

Some of these stories are a bit dramatic. There's a circus in the NBA every year. Last year it was the Chris Paul trade fiasco, the year before was the Carmelo trade fiasco, and now it's the Lakers. I hate the Lakers this season, but this media coverage is annoying.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said it about a month ago but I will say it again. JO looks really good out there, and we should try and trade for him and Telfair. Whatever PHX has know to him as worked.

Would be a big upgrade over Tyler IMO

Banned

the Hornets are supposedly interested in almost-healed Pacers forward Danny Granger. But a package involving Gordon and Granger, sources say, has yet to be discussed.

Twitter: @SamAmicoFSO

@SamAmicoFSO: Column: With NBA trade deadline nearing, talk takes a more serious tone. http://t.co/7jySItI4

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @SamAmicoFSO: Column: With NBA trade deadline nearing, talk takes a more serious tone. http://t.co/7jySItI4
    I call BS there really is no other package that makes sense. I think it's just Amico talking out of his *** again.

I think he just wrote that based on AMick's article from last week. Just picked Indy because almost common knowledge now that EJ wants to play for the Pacers one day.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-13-2013 at 12:35 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I know he's something of a rival, he's had his PR problems, all that jazz. But seriously, just as basketball fans I hope you're all enjoying Lebron's peak right now. The guy's the best player in the history of the game, and by the time he retires I really don't think Jordan'll be in the conversation with him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know he's something of a rival, he's had his PR problems, all that jazz. But seriously, just as basketball fans I hope you're all enjoying Lebron's peak right now. The guy's the best player in the history of the game, and by the time he retires I really don't think Jordan'll be in the conversation with him.
    I don't think he'll be remembered that way though. But I agree.

It'll be damn near impossible for LBJ to win as many championships with as much fierce competition. OKC is just stacked through and through.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    That was my initial thought, but then again the last of those 4 was in 2007, so for the past 5 years that's actually been the case. To a point.
    Spurs have changed quite a bit over the last few years. It's not obvious because they still field the same big 3, but Parker became the offensive focal point maybe 3 years ago, and the system that Pop now runs bears more resemblance to the run-and-gun Suns and Kings than what we'd normally consider to be Spurs ball. It's a very potent offense though - Spurs have been #1 or #2 in offensive efficiency the past 2 years. But their defense has slipped - not that the Spurs have ever been awful on defense, but their defense was only around 10th in the league.

This year has been different though. Spurs are 3rd right now in defensive efficiency. TD as always is still their defensive anchor, but it's the young guys like Leonard and Splitter coming into their own defensively that have really restored their defensive identity. Spurs this year is as dangerous as they've ever been, IMO. Which makes the Josh Smith rumors a little strange... if it's not broke, don't fix it and all that.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I call BS there really is no other package that makes sense. I think it's just Amico talking out of his *** again.

I think he just wrote that based on AMick's article from last week. Just picked Indy because almost common knowledge now that EJ wants to play for the Pacers one day.
    Oh yeah, at this point I don't think there's anyway we can afford Gordon's contract, even if we find a way to trade for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No. He's not. He has the potential to be, but he's not.

Wilt dwarfs anything lebron has ever done statistically, but as we all know, it's not all about individual numbers.

He needs at least one more title to surpass Larry bird at his own position be fore he starts chasing Jordan.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a very good chance we are watching the greatest player of all time, but that's a title he has yet to earn.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-13-2013 at 08:16 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lebron hasn't even passed Kobe yet, let alone Jordan. He's a better player than Kobe right now, but he hasn't had a better career yet.

Lebron can't even sniff 45 until he gets 2-3 more championships. Championships matter in basketball more than any other sport when you're judging individual greatness because basketball players have the opportunity to dominate their game more than a baseball or football player. A baseball player can only bat 4-5 times a game. A football player can only play one side of the field. But a basketball player can take as many shots as they want and dominate the game defensively too, like Jordan did so many times.

From 1991 on, with the exclusion of the 1995 season when he came back in March, Jordan rose to the occasion every single time. He literally willed the Bulls to victory. In 1998, the Pacers and Jazz probably had more complete teams than the Bulls, especially considering that Pippen had been banged up that season and wasn't quite the same Pip that he had been in previous years. But a 35 year old Jordan literally willed the Bulls to the championship. Two separate three-peats. Lebron has a long way to go before he catches Jordan.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

That's another thing. Lebron is 1-2 in the NBA finals. Jordan has a perfect finals record. 6-0, 6 finals MVPs. I'm not sure that will ever be surpassed in my lifetime.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I won't knock Lebron for losing the 2007 Finals because that Cavs team was a one man show and it was impressive that a 22 year old Lebron carried them as far as he did. 2011 hurt though, especially considering Lebron was such a non-factor at times. To his credit, he followed up that disappointment with an incredible 2012 campaign where he dominated both the regular season and playoffs. But dominating the playoffs from start to finish one time doesn't trump dominating the playoffs from start to finish six times.

"Mike and Mike" has been comparing MJ and Lebron all morning. I think it's a bit ridiculous. For 15 years, the media has had this obsession with finding "the next Jordan". Well there is never going to be another Jordan. No one will ever have the pop culture impact that Jordan had. I don't think anyone will dominate six Finals like Jordan did. Lebron wins one championship and everyone acts like he's right there with Jordan. He's one of the best ever, but he has a looooooong way to go before he even sniffs 45. I think he still has a ways to go before he passes Kobe. Those back to back championships in 2009 and 2010 were huge for Kobe's legacy. Sure Lebron will finish with quite a few more MVP's than Kobe's one, but then again Shaq also only has one MVP.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Geez, the Lebron/Jordan comparison is literally the only thing that Mike and Mike has talked about this morning. Are they really that hard-pressed to find things to talk about when NFL season ends?

I have yet to change my mind that LeBron certainly is one of the (if not the) greatest, most accomplished athletes ever, but not one of the greatest, most accomplished basketball players ever.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    That's another thing. Lebron is 1-2 in the NBA finals. Jordan has a perfect finals record. 6-0, 6 finals MVPs. I'm not sure that will ever be surpassed in my lifetime.
    Great point. Not to mention the 2 losses in the Finals were pretty rough (Swept by the Spurs, then his absolute choke against Dallas in the last 4 games).

The win vs OKC was really nice, very dominant. But he has a looooonnnggggg way to go before any comparisons to Jordan are realistic.

I saw something this morning, that in 87-88 when Jordan averaged 37ppg, he made 12 3's...all season. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Great point. Not to mention the 2 losses in the Finals were pretty rough (Swept by the Spurs, then his absolute choke against Dallas in the last 4 games).

The win vs OKC was really nice, very dominant. But he has a looooonnnggggg way to go before any comparisons to Jordan are realistic.
    The loss to Dallas is the black mark. Getting to the finals, even to be swept by the Spurs, with the Cleveland team whose next best players are Mo Williams and a broken-down Ilgauskas was an amazing accomplishment, IMO. That would be like adding Lebron James to the current roster of the Charlotte Bobcats and having him take them all the way to the finals.

To be clear, though, I think that Lebron has accomplished far less in his career (so far) than Jordan did.

It's a separate argument than would would win a game of 1-on-1, as the ESPN guys were debating. That is a closer contest due to Lebron's size advantage with no speed disadvantage. Jordan had a greater offensive arsenal and I think he'd win, but I can also picture MJ having some trouble guarding a guy who is quite literally bigger and stronger than (for example) Karl Malone.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I said it about a month ago but I will say it again. JO looks really good out there, and we should try and trade for him and Telfair. Whatever PHX has know to him as worked.

Would be a big upgrade over Tyler IMO

I had all the following info ready to post, so since you mentioned JO, I'll post it to your post.

JO has been back 5 games from injury. In those 5 games, he's done the following:

10.4 PPG... 7 Rebs... 2 Ast... 1 Stl... 2 BS on 19 of 29 FG for 65% and 14 of 15 FT for 93% in 23 MPG.

I'm not advocating or suggesting the Pacers trade for JO, but a team looking to make a splash in the playoffs or needing veteran player to help them win a championship should think about trading for JO. His salary is $854,000. That's Sam Young money.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to read Miami, Lakers, etc trade for him b4 the TD.

Banned

Lebron could be the best ever but I don't see it happening, MJ had the drive to destroy people, I don't see this Miami Heat team ever winning 70+ games in a year, sometimes Lebron is coasting, the guy takes it easy on playoffs and finals games too much for my liking, MJ would have never done that.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

I saw something this morning, that in 87-88 when Jordan averaged 37ppg, he made 12 3's...all season. Sheesh.
    When Bird won the NBA MVP in 1983-84 (followed up by a ring and the Finals MVP, plus second team all-NBA on defense!), he made 18 3's all season. The objective for those true great ones, the guys who really understand the game, is to get the best shot you can as a team, on every possession. James seems to be getting this too, about a year ago having dropped the urge to take outside jumpers early in the shot clock.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rudy gay did it again, another clutch shot.
    This is a prime example of why you don't sell low.

Grizzlies got a decent deal, but they could have gotten a significantly better one for Rudy.

Banned

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports
    VIDEO: Will Ferrell showed up to the Lakers game as a security guard and ejected Shaq from the game: http://cbsprt.co/ShaqEjected

I'm not saying anything, but I'm just sayin' Lebron's head is much bigger than it was when he entered the league or even when he was with Cleveland. And I'm not just speaking in the figurative sense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

high school:

last year:

It doesn't look like any Barry Bonds-like head transformation to me. Dude was like Greg Oden in that he was built like a 30 year old when he was 17. Greg unfortunately matured so he was built like a 40-year-old when he was 20, while Lebron seems (to me anyway) to have just gotten more ripped with the same ginormous frame.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-13-2013 at 11:39 AM.

I noticed it specifically last night on the broadcast so maybe it was just an angle,but....

EDIT: It could also be his beard is more squared up now around his jaw, I'd have to watch the post game interview again to be sure.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Getting to the finals, even to be swept by the Spurs, with the Cleveland team whose next best players are Mo Williams and a broken-down Ilgauskas was an amazing accomplishment, IMO. That would be like adding Lebron James to the current roster of the Charlotte Bobcats and having him take them all the way to the finals.
    They didn't even have Mo Williams. Their second leading scorer was Larry Hughes.

Taking that team to the Finals may well be the most underrated accomplishment in NBA history.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: