Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers: It wasn’t all about Granger and Augustin. Stephenson was in the mix, too.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Pacers: It wasn’t all about Granger and Augustin. Stephenson was in the mix, too.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...n-the-mix-too/

CLEVELAND – Tuesday night in Cleveland belonged to Danny Granger and D.J. Augustin.

Granger because he had a solid performance in his first game of the preseason. He had nine points on 4-of-7 shooting in 12 minutes. Augustin finally looked comfortable running the offense. The pass-first point guard dished out 11 assists.

What some may not have noticed was Lance Stephenson’s six assists with only one turnover. He didn’t put those numbers up in garbage time, either.

Stephenson was under control and attacked the basket with the mind frame that he wants to remain in the rotation this season.

“That was definitely the best preseason game,” coach Frank Vogel said. “That’s terrific. People talk about LeBron being a freight train. Clearly he’s not LeBron, but he’s a freight train in the open court. When he gets the ball in a head steam and finds alleys and avenues to the basket and makes great decisions late in his drive. That’s a heck of a weapon.”
    Stephenson’s play gives hope that he could possibly hold down the backup shooting guard spot without forcing Vogel to make a change in the rotation.
    As probably Lance's biggest suporter from day 1, this really makes me glad I stood steadfast on my opinion of him, and believe if given consistent playing time this year we will see bigger and better things from him. I also believe , while not maybe a "tradtional point" he has the best court vision o the team , and last night was not an accident. Time will tell but I like what I see so far

He could really add a new dimension to this team
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers: It wasn’t all about Granger and Augustin. Stephenson was in the mix, too.

You think even with Augustin on the team Lance still has the best vision?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Pacers: It wasn’t all about Granger and Augustin. Stephenson was in the mix, too.

What up Joe,

Fair point and that remains to be seen, and of course its just my opinion but DJ, would be the only Pacer to rival Lance's vision in my opinion

Mood

I don't like Stephenson. He had a huge opportunity last year and the coaches gave him his chances, and he punted.

But that said, I hope he has finally gotten in his head how to play. The team needs him. It is obvious that he has talent, but lacks (or has lacked) skill and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like Stephenson. He had a huge opportunity last year and the coaches gave him his chances, and he punted.
    But that said, I hope he has finally gotten in his head how to play. The team needs him. It is obvious that he has talent, but lacks (or has lacked) skill and knowledge.
    Please elaborate how Lance "punted"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

I have not seen a preseason game yet, so with that said it should be between Lance and Sam Young for the backup SG spot, right? It looks like he might get his shot at actual playing time, but I bet he will be on short leash.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I have not seen a preseason game yet, so with that said it should be between Lance and Sam Young for the backup SG spot, right? It looks like he might get his shot at actual playing time, but I bet he will be on short leash.
    In an ideal world, Green will take every second of backup play on the wing this season, or at least in the playoffs.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    In an ideal world, Green will take every second of backup play on the wing this season, or at least in the playoffs.
    I agree, but someone will get minutes at backup SG besides Green. It might be spot minutes if Green really is that good, but Lance is still fighting for those spot minutes, anyway.
    Last edited by pacers74; 10-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Putting aside what Lance is right now, its very clear that he has a ton of potential. Keep in mind, he is still extremely young and could still blossom. I would be very disappointed if we let him go and judging by Vogels quotes, thats not going to happen.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Putting aside what Lance is right now, its very clear that he has a ton of potential. Keep in mind, he is still extremely young and could still blossom. I would be very disappointed if we let him go and judging by Vogels quotes, thats not going to happen.
    As long as he doesn't get a huge contract on his potential. This team has already been down that road. Jonathon Bender.

Last year was the lockout. No work with the coaches during the summer. Abbreviated training camp. Only 2 pre-season games. Horrible time to be a young, developing player. I saw growth in Lance's game but it sounds like your expectations were a bit unrealistic under the circumstances.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You make it sound like every game is going to be a nail biter. The Pacers have a good team. There will be plenty of games where we get the lead and can afford to play the bench extended minutes. There should be plenty of minutes to go around.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

He was asking about the backup SG spot specifically. And in the playoffs most of the games probably will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    As long as he doesn't get a huge contract on his potential. This team has already been down that road. Jonathon Bender.
    Is the Bender/Stephenson comparison a valid one?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Is the Bender/Stephenson comparison a valid one?
    Only in that they both showed extreme potential followed by an apparent difficulty fulfilling that potential. In Bender's case it was injuries, with Lance it seems to be opportunity.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Lance getting a "big" contract if he doesn't have a good season. The fact he's been on the roster for 3 years is a big enough investment given the return thus far.

Count me in the group pulling for Lance to really put it together. I could see there being quality minutes available, as Hill/Augustin at the 1, PG/Gerald at the 2/3, and Danny at the 3. I could see the Augustin/Lance/Green lineup at times, or even Hill/Lance/Granger, depending on fouls and who's hot.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Wait, what?? 8-10 min is a huge opportunity, and sporadic at best? Please. Hans gets 20min a night...EVERY game, and he hasn't shown much. How about we wait to see what Lance can do when given the same type of opportunity as Hans. I think Lance should get about 15min a game, possibly earning a bit more...which should be sufficient in evaluating.

Lance could give this team a whole new dimension...just like Green is going to give us. Could make us a much scarier team.

Granted, even if Lance plays well, I doubt he see much playing time in the playoffs. Just the nature to play starters more and go with shorter rotations. I doubt it would be a huge knock on Lance. I think he'll get better and better as the season rolls along.

Oh, and he has 1 more year (not guaranteed) left on his contract for under $1M. It would be silly to let him go...he's dirt cheap! He'll be on the roster at least another year, unless he's traded, to see what he can do.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 10-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Wait, what?? 8-10 min is a huge opportunity, and sporadic at best? Please. Hans gets 20min a night...EVERY game, and he hasn't shown much. How about we wait to see what Lance can do when given the same type of opportunity as Hans. I think Lance should get about 15min a game, possibly earning a bit more...which should be sufficient in evaluating.

Lance could give this team a whole new dimension...just like Green is going to give us. Could make us a much scarier team.
    8-10 mins with one of the shortest leashes I've ever seen. Dude would get a turn over or miss a rotation and get pulled. I want to see him get a legitimate shot where he can play his game without being worried he's going to get benched.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    8-10 mins with one of the shortest leashes I've ever seen. Dude would get a turn over or miss a rotation and get pulled. I want to see him get a legitimate shot where he can play his game without being worried he's going to get benched.
    The guy is gonna make mistakes, but I think we've already seen some steady improvement each preseason game from him. He's certainly starting to show that he can play his game and play under control. He just needs to do that consistently and to do that you have to have consistent minutes.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The question about Lance and his ability to play at the NBA level should be answered this season. I expect him [and fwiw tyler] to get the backup SG spot to start the season. The 15-20 mpg that Paul doesn't play. If he plays well, then he will keep the spot. If he doesn't, then he won't. Same kind of thing with Gerald. He will get the backup 3 minutes and a chance to show he is the better player. A quick guide to how the Pacer season is going will be the minutes Sam Young gets. The more minutes he plays, the worse the Pacers are doing. Not that Young is a bad guy, but he is like Lou. A nice guy, plays hard, but if he's playing rotation minutes, your rotation is undertalented.

If both Lance and Gerald play well, DJ better raise his game. The opportunity to play with a rotation with no little short guys in it will be hard for Frank to resist. But for that to happen, Lance has to play well, very well.

FWIW, it is nice to have some competition for spots in this year's rotation. By the end of the playoffs, the rotation was really down to 6 guys. And since one of those guys was traded, it looks like KP/Larry/Donnie did a real nice job of getting enough guys that can play.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

The guy is gonna make mistakes, but I think we've already seen some steady improvement each preseason game from him. He's certainly starting to show that he can play his game and play under control. He just needs to do that consistently and to do that you have to have consistent minutes.

Lance needs minutes. Sitting on the bench and just practicing will not reveal what we have in Lance. I fully agree with your last statement.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You would also have to assume that any injury to Hill, Augustin, Granger, George, or Green will directly impact the minutes Lance is seeing. I expect our team to stay healthy this year due to youth and the type of players we've invested in, but perhaps not quite as consistently as last year. 12-15 minutes a night + whatever boost injuries may net him seems like a good spot for him.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Props to Lance!
    I haven't never doubted his talent, I just doubted his mind!

If he can get his BB mind right, I would put him at a Tyreke Evan's type player. They have always reminded me of each other. I would love to see Lance put it all together. He did just turn 22 yrs old... Very Exciting!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Lance might get more minutes at PG this year if G Hill is not ready to play due to nagging injuries. I believe Ben H will be cut and that Lance could see significant minutes backing up DJ if Hill is not ready opening night

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I've never been a big Lance supporter, but it's always nice when a project player actually develops, as Lance is clearly showing signs of. Glad especially for the Lance fans.

As for Tyreke comparisons, a big problem for Tyreke is that he can't shoot, which is really limiting his career now. So it's also nice to see Lance improving his jumper.

Mood

Granted, even if Lance plays well, I doubt he see much playing time in the playoffs. Just the nature to play starters more and go with shorter rotations. I doubt it would be a huge knock on Lance. I think he'll get better and better as the season rolls along.

Oh, and he has 1 more year (not guaranteed) left on his contract for under $1M. It would be silly to let him go...he's dirt cheap! He'll be on the roster at least another year, unless he's traded, to see what he can do.
    This isn't another Hansbrough thread, baby.

Lance was given time early in the season. He couldn't handle it.

Hopefully he can this year.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post: