Thread: Hardwood Paroxysm 2012-2013 Season Preview

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hardwood Paroxysm 2012-2013 Season Preview

This is a pretty awesome read if you've got the time. Huge 130 page preview of the season by a variety of writers. Really fun stuff.

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012...preview-guide/

I thought this part of the Pacers preview was pretty interesting:

Freakish Numbers And I Don’t Mean That Dirty Number 8 by Eric Maroun

Is it an obscure number? Yes. However, 985.97 was a crucial number to the Pacers season last year. 985.97 was partially responsible for the run that Indiana made in the playoffs which died out shortly following them taking a 2-1 series lead on the Chris Bosh-less Miami Heat. Most importantly, it’s a number that is most likely not repeatable in the 2012-13 season. So what does it represent?
    Per BasketballValue.com, The Pacers main starting lineup of Darren Collison, Paul George, Danny Granger, David West, and Roy Hibbert were on the floor together for 985.97 regular season minutes last year, by far the most common lineup put out on the court by any team in the league. For comparison’s sake, here are the next four most common lineups:

- PHX: Steve Nash, Grant Hill, Jared Dudley, Channing Frye, Marcin Gortat – 744.88 minutes
    - LAC: Chris Paul, Randy Foye, Caron Butler, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan – 648.20 minutes
    - OKC: Russell Westbrook, Thabo Sefolosha, Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka, Kendrick Perkins – 610.27 minutes
    - MIA: Mario Chalmers, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Joel Anthony – 516.95 minutes

What does it mean? It means that the Pacers were ridiculously, unbelievably, unfathomably healthy last season. All five players mentioned played in at least 60 regular season games with George and West appearing in all 66 regular season contests and Hibbert checking in for 65 of them. While the Pacers are the sexy pick to win the Central Division due to competing with young Pistons and Cavs teams, a still-at-least-a-year-away Bucks team, and Derrick Rose-less for half the year Bulls squad, wondering if they can match last year’s success is a valid concern.

Darren Collison was traded away for Ian Mahinmi, leaving George Hill as the starting point guard on the team. Hill played in 50 games last year, with most of the games he missed coming due to a stress fracture he suffered in his ankle. David West is still less than two years removed from a devastating ACL tear in his left knee that he sustained while in New Orleans, which is always a concern. And Roy Hibbert, despite a clean bill of health thus far during his four year career, did not get any smaller in the offseason meaning he will once again be putting about 280 pounds of stress on that 7’2” frame of his. While this is obviously not a guarantee of an injury for the big man, it’s at the very least a recipe for one in the future.

Basketball, maybe more than any other sport, is a game built on familiarity with those on your team. Being able to anticipate where a teammate’s shot is going to miss so you can be in position for the rebound, knowing when someone is going to make a backdoor cut so you can time your pass correctly, and consistently feeding a three-point shooter in the perfect spot to allow him to catch and shoot in one fluid motion is what separates the average teams from the good teams and the good from the great. While duplicating their healthy 2011-12 campaign is unlikely, I suppose it’s possible. The Pacers better hope so; the success of their season may be riding on it.
    Yet another article that mentions how healthy we were, and how they don't think we can duplicate it. Funny thing is, outside of Tyler's vertigo issue, I can't remember any of our key players missing extended time over the last few years. Here's to another healthy season!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hardwood Paroxysm 2012-2013 Season Preview

I can't help but think a big reason for the minutes together is the platooning of line-ups instead of mixing land matching like most teams do.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Which is something that would be easy to miss in the NBA if you don't watch the Pacers regularly. On a game-to-game basis, it either looks like a really bad (most nights) or a really good coaching decision to keep the whole bench in like that. When you look at lineups of 3 to 4 players at a time I think that the league gets much closer to the Pacers. This is based on my memory of when i was stat crunching at the end of last season, so don't quote that as solid. :P

I also think another thing most writers miss is that none of our starters really play extended minutes that often. So even in the condensed season the amount of wear and tear on the bodies of our guys was about the same as those who had missed time due to being injured.

And how we made our playoff run using a different linuep than the one that played 985.97 minutes together.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

I Had A Dream Last Night And It Looked Just Like A Dream by Connor Huchton
    A man walks into a store, and quickly grabs a bag of chips. He shifts carefully towards the cashier, and soon reaches the
    counter. He makes brief eye contact with the person behind the register, pays in nearly exact change, mutters a brief
    thank you, and exits the store.

He begins his short walk home, striding along the sidewalk and staring downwards in a deep focus. He opens his bag of
    [brand name here], and shoves multiple chips into his mouth over the course of many five-second intervals. He enjoys
    the taste, but chip remnants remain in his teeth after every bite. Still, he continues eating and makes his way home.
    A realization strikes this man: He has been walking slightly leftwards of his destination throughout the entire journey,
    and is now a few houses of horizontal distance away from his own. He sighs, but determinedly moves towards the
    correct location. Eventually, he reaches his door, struggles to find the correct key, and finally manages to do so. He
    enters his home, watches TV for two to three hours while drinking a lukewarm soda, and then goes to sleep for seven
    comfortable hours. It is an acceptable sleep.

This man is the Indiana Pacers, and every day is an era.
    WTF is this craziness? I seriously cannot seem to find the meaning behind the metaphor.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    WTF is this craziness? I seriously cannot seem to find the meaning behind the metaphor.
    I take it to mean that we're not very exciting, but we should get to where we're going.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I also think another thing most writers miss is that none of our starters really play extended minutes that often. So even in the condensed season the amount of wear and tear on the bodies of our guys was about the same as those who had missed time due to being injured.
    A very good point. I do think we've been lucky with injuries, but some part of it is by design thanks to our deep rotation. That part at least isn't going to change, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    A very good point. I do think we've been lucky with injuries, but some part of it is by design thanks to our deep rotation. That part at least isn't going to change, I think.
    good point. Maybe Frank was on to something with all those egg-timer/hockey line substitutions.

I wonder how that will change with the regular 82 game season.

Absolutely it was by design. Vogel specifically said, multiple times, that he was using a deeper rotation in order to minimize injuries.

Sure, there's some luck involved, but some planning as well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Absolutely it was by design. Vogel specifically said, multiple times, that he was using a deeper rotation in order to minimize injuries.

Sure, there's some luck involved, but some planning as well.
    Which is why I hope they go 10 deep, a sub at each position, getting a decent amount of minutes. I really do believe the only way the Pacers can continue to build on last season is for everyone to stays healthy. Just have to be smart about it...and make sure you have a great strength and conditioning team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

... and your young end of bench players get some time to develop at the sametime aswell. This is all good for the regular season and I would like to see it continued, but really hope we switch to another system in the postseason or near the postseason.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with him it's highly unlikely that a lineup of Collison, George, Granger, West, Hibbert plays 985.97 minutes together this season or is the most played lineup in the NBA. So he is 100% right on at least one thing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yah, what's funny is that our best lineup, which included Hill, actually didn't get as much time together. We could easily make the case that we underperformed because our best PG missed so much time.