Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Paul George become a superstar?

Default Re: Will Paul George become a superstar?

I think Paul George should try to model his game after Pippen. (although he'll never be the ball handler or passer of Pippen) But defensivley he should study Scottie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok maybe not as good as lebron or durant, but top 10 player in the league
    No......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    No......
    yes
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    To answer the question you posted. NO!! He will never be close to the two players you mention. If he were going to be that player, we would have seen more of it by now. He will be very good and that is about it.....
    it's been 2 years. give him time.
    Smothered Chicken!

Can't we just hope PG has that breakout year like so many others have had in their third year in the league. Instead, we have people arguing if he is going to be a "superstar" or not.
    I just hope he he becomes a better all around player and is more of a go to guy than he has been.
    Last edited by pacers74; 10-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Banned

NO!

Mood

"Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I think he has the potential to be better than guys like Danny, Iggy, and Gay. At the same time, he will never get to a LeBron, Durant, Dwight, or D-Rose level.

After thinking about it...

How many players in the HISTORY of the NBA has been as talented as Lebron? I'm not even a fan, but there haven't been 10 players that you can name that are without a doubt were better/more talented than a 6'9 260lb PG/SF/PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    After thinking about it...

How many players in the HISTORY of the NBA has been as talented as Lebron? I'm not even a fan, but there haven't been 10 players that you can name that are without a doubt were better/more talented than a 6'9 260lb PG/SF/PF.
    Very true, but I also think you could find many who had the same potential as a LeBron or Jordan. It is just rare that players actually reach their potential.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

#1. Paul George WILL NEVER become a league recognized SUPERSTAR. He doesn't have that "IT" in him that makes superstars... Superstars! Granted Kobe & McGrady were not superstars their first couple seasons, but they displayed something that showed from the first time they were on an NBA court that said.... "Damn, this guy just needs time". Despite what some close friends have told me.... I just don't see it in P. George!

#2. Reggie Miller was NOTHING CLOSE to a league recognized superstar. He was a star that burned really bright at times because of the "Miller Moments"! If it weren't for the Miller Moments & Longevity...We'd still be debating if he was better than Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice & Spreewell.

#3. Top 10 player in this league... Lottery odds at best!

P. George will be a Star at best. You know, one of those stars that makes about 3 to 6 All Star appearances during his career. That is nothing to be disappointed about at all. Hell, we loved Reggie for that kind of career, but let's ease up on the "delusions of grandeur" about a League recognized SUPERSTAR"! I like pie down on my plate, not in the sky!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

No offense Coopdog, but a lot of your opinions seem to be very Pacer biased. I don't think any other rational fan from the other 29 teams would think that Paul George would become a top 10 type player as you seem to infer that he will become. Here are the current top 10 players according to ESPN.
    Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    CP3
    D-Rose
    Kobe
    Love
    Wade
    Westbrook
    Williams

8 out of the 10 will comfortably be in the league for 5 more years. Who does Paul George replace? Obviously, there are also players not in the Top 10 that are miles better than Paul George at the current time. Plus players coming into the NBA with Superstar potential. I see Paul George's peak as Iggy with better offensive skills, which would certainly be nice. Rudy Gay comparisons are very fair too.

Paul George has some potential, but lets settle down on comparing him to Lebron and Durant.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Reggie Miller was not a superstar when looking at performance vs others.

He was a superstar due to his larger than life personality. However, because he played in Indiana all his life, most people never really got to see that side.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I think a career like Rudy Gay would be reasonable for Paul, and maybe a little better than Gay. I would be totally happy with George having a career like Miller, with a few all-stars and maybe some all-nba awards thrown in.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

How about Paul finishes a playoff series averaging in double figures first?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    I think what we've seen is largely what we're going to get with Paul George. I think he'll peak at a Deng-Iguodala-Granger level in the league, which is not bad, but far from a superstar. Maybe a few All-Star appearances here or there.
    I think he can have the best parts of granger and Iggy. Grangers shot with Iggy's athleticism and defense. Not saying he will achieve Lebran/Durant status, however he is solid everywhere which puts his potential higher than the three you name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    #2. Reggie Miller was NOTHING CLOSE to a league recognized superstar. He was a star that burned really bright at times because of the "Miller Moments"! If it weren't for the Miller Moments & Longevity...We'd still be debating if he was better than Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice & Spreewell.
    The longevity and moments among many other things is why he is a retired superstar. His play when it was most important put him in the HOF and made him what he is. If you take away Reggie's greatness then yes, you then have Mitch, Glen and many others, but what's the point of that? You start taking stars best parts of their game to downgrade them into something they weren't doesn't prove a point. And all Spreewell ever achieved is choking his freakin coach.

Reggie has broken all time records and is among the very best to ever play the game statistically. The only reason he wasn't a superstar is cause he played in Indiana his whole career. He would be a part of a big 2 or big 3 right now if he had that other star(s) beside him and played for one the elite market teams.

KG, Pierce and Allen was a big team also known as superstars. You make that KG, Pierce and Miller you'd have the same thing and Reggie would have been nationally marketed as such and would have been seen as a superstar.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Will Paul George become a superstar?

It seems like every few months this topic keeps coming up. The Pacers certainly hope so, and I believe that achieving their hopes are very dependendent on George significantly improving. But come on... His experience and play to date doe not even lead one to conclude that he will be a starter for the Pacers throughout this entire season.

George has not yet assured that he will be a Pacer beyond his present contract. Unless he can achieve a much, much better level of consistency, he will never be considered as a player that can be moved to SF to make Granger expendable, as many on this forum seem to favor.

So let's not even waste time talking about superstardom, or even stardom. The real question must be answered by George THIS year. And that is, is he going to crap, or is he going to get off the pot? Basically meaning is he going to take the next step or is he going to indefinitely remain on the "P" list? If it's the latter then he is a candidate for a trade as much as any other player on the roster.

It's as simple as that.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Will Paul George become a superstar?

It seems like every few months this topic keeps coming up. The Pacers certainly hope so, and I believe that achieving their hopes are very dependendent on George significantly improving. But come on... His experience and play to date doe not even lead one to conclude that he will be a starter for the Pacers throughout this entire season.

George has not yet assured that he will be a Pacer beyond his present contract. Unless he can achieve a much, much better level of consistency, he will never be considered as a player that can be moved to SF to make Granger expendable, as many on this forum seem to favor.

So let's not even waste time talking about superstardom, or even stardom. The real question must be answered by George THIS year. And that is, is he going to crap, or is he going to get off the pot? Basically meaning is he going to take the next step or is he going to indefinitely remain on the "P" list? If it's the latter then he is a candidate for a trade as much as any other player on the roster.

It's as simple as that.
    ??

PG has led the Pacers in scoring during the pre season, and was like top 5 in the league. If that's not worth being a starter then......

Mood

Sports Logo

I definitely believe that PG could become a superstar. If, perhaps, he was given the chance to lead the team upon arriving (like LeBron, Durant, CP3, D12 all the chance to do), he would have shown his "true side" earlier in his career. But given that he ended up getting coached by JOB for half a season, he lost that chance. However, he can still show out and become a megastar, especially if he pulls a Durant and sticks with Indy for a while.

I really think that, if PG pulls some magic out of his hat, that he is going to dominate this year. I think he'll kick some major NBA ***.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Banned
    Mood

The term superstar's always high debatable. In my opinion, it's not simply about on-the-court ability, but also about star-appeal and charisma (marketability, basically). The latter two factors are while I would consider Reggie Miller much closer to being a superstar than someone like, say, Mitch Richmond or Glen Rice, two comparable talents, or possibly even Clyde Drexler, who was a superior talent.

Was Reggie ever a top-10 player in the league? Maybe not, but I dare say there's not 10 players primarily associated with 90's basketball who have left a bigger legacy. His charisma and flair for the dramatic clearly placed him above players of similar -- arguably even superior -- skill-levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    ??

PG has led the Pacers in scoring during the pre season, and was like top 5 in the league. If that's not worth being a starter then......
    Please do not put stock in preseason performance, especially when many teams do not provide heavy minutes for their best players.

My point is that Paul George has Sloan some very good potential. But he has yet to show elevated performance on a consistent basis. If is not able to do so, the Pacers are not only better served to keep Granger for the long haul at SF, but may also need to look for a consistently good performer as their starting SG.

Mood

I highly doubt it... BUT I want him to prove me wrong so badly.
    Never half-a** two things. Whole-a** one thing.

Maybe if he had the ball handling ability like a McGrady.

He doesnt have that unfortunately and he probably never will.

It is very difficult to develop that aspect of your game.

Mood

I think he'll be a star, meaning consistently making the All-Star game. He won't be a superstar, but we don't necessarily need him to be if both he and Roy are at an all-star level.

He can be an All-defensive first team though for sure.

Thing is that most of these superstar wings are all-d first team caliber and superstars offensively.

PG in his prime is more of an 18-22 ppg kind of guy. He can be a top 15 player though, and he'll be better than Granger due to his superior tools.
    Last edited by daschysta; 10-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.