Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Paul George become a superstar?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will Paul George become a superstar?

I believe in a few years, he'll be as good as Durant and LeBron. He just needs to be more aggressive and make better decisions. If he can develop a jump shot like Durant, he'll be unstoppable
    Smothered Chicken!

Default Re: Will Paul George become a superstar?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe in a few years, he'll be as good as Durant and LeBron. He just needs to be more aggressive and make better decisions. If he can develop a jump shot like Durant, he'll be unstoppable
    I wouldnt go as far as saying he'll be as good as Durant and Lebron...However, I would say PG will be a consistent all star (not a superstar)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Let's hope for star first. I wouldn't even consider Reggie a superstar, so that's waaaaaaay out there.

And better than LeBron? Do you mean, "better than LBJ in the last year before he retires"?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Superstar is very rare. In any given season there might be 4. So no, George will never be a superstar. But then I never considered Reggie a superstar. Right now we have Lebron, Durant. That really might be it. Kobe probably has fallen just below superstar status. But my standard for Superstar is really high

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

High school players aside--a player RARELY becomes a Superstar. Most of the time when a player enters the league, they're already good, and by their second or third season they have reached superstar status.

Guys like Lebron, KD, D12, CP3, etc had signs of dominating games within their first two seasons. Some even within their rookie season.

I could see PG being an all star, and maybe a bonafide star someday if he really improves. But superstar? I don't see it.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I think what we've seen is largely what we're going to get with Paul George. I think he'll peak at a Deng-Iguodala-Granger level in the league, which is not bad, but far from a superstar. Maybe a few All-Star appearances here or there.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

no way on earth, in hell, on other dimensions he can be as good as those guys. he is just not that talented and whoever thinks otherwise should wake up from that dream asap imo.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

I think he can be better than Granger and Gay. Not sure how much better. As long has he continues to play defense and getting better and better on offense, he's got a chance to be one of the best if not the best player to ever put on a Pacer uni.

We'll see though. I'm rooting for PG to give Indiana something they have never had before.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

No. And that's not a bad thing. He's already a great two way player. Even if he only gets marginally better he's a starter on most of the teams in the league due to his defense and the fact he has at least a mildly competent offensive game. He rebounds extremely well for a guard and plays great D, his steal and block numbers are D-Wade good defensively.

People that think he is going to be T-Mac or whatever are going to be disappointed and that is a shame because he will still be a heck of a player.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Listen to all of these R.A.S. members talk like they were core, Da Smash's & Doug Adams are each having an out of body experiance right now & not even knowing why.

Having said that, no Paul George will never be on the level of the other two. They both possess that certain something that you either have or you don't, you can't devlop it. The mind of a killer.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Roy hibbert can develop a jump shot like Durant, just think of how unstoppable he'll be...

While we're at it, if David West develops an Olajuwon-quality dream shake, George Hill learns to run a team like Magic Johnson, and Danny Granger starts passing like Larry Bird, the Pacers have an outside shot at 70 wins and a championship.

We've been really over-thinking this, guys. I just solved your 40-year championship drought in 30 seconds.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

He isn't playing like he can take his skills to the next level, let alone a superstar level. I question his will to be great during a game, his focus to seize the moment and take over a game let alone a string of games. I truly am having my doubts, lord I hope I'm wrong!!!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

He's shown he can score. If he could do it consistently, I'd be willing to believe he'd end up being better than Granger.

LeBron? No way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Let's hope for star first. I wouldn't even consider Reggie a superstar, so that's waaaaaaay out there.

And better than LeBron? Do you mean, "better than LBJ in the last year before he retires"?
    Reggie was definitely a superstar
    Smothered Chicken!

ok maybe not as good as lebron or durant, but top 10 player in the league
    Smothered Chicken!

Reggie was definitely a superstar
    You have a broader definition of superstars than most.

If Reggie was a superstar, then there were 15-20 superstars playing in the NBA during the 90's. That was always Reggie's range in any given season. At no point was he ever considered top-10, and only three times in 18 seasons was he ever considered top-15.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

He certainly has the raw abilities to be as good, but it is unlikely he reaches that level. As Peck said I don't think he has the right mindset for it.

I don't think he has the raw ability to handle a basketball at that level. That's what has always held him back from being a volume scorer.

He certainly has a scoring touch, but he has extreme difficulties getting where he wants to go with a basketball in his hands, especially against pressure.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

He's got all the tools/talent to be easily the best player on this team, and Certainly someone who could make a case for an All NBA team at some point.

But he's just potential right now.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    You have a broader definition of superstars than most.

If Reggie was a superstar, then there were 15-20 superstars playing in the NBA during the 90's. That was always Reggie's range in any given season. At no point was he ever considered top-10, and only three times in 18 seasons was he ever considered top-15.

yeah there were. Number of the players in the 90s were great leaders, great scorers, great passers, and they were clutch
    Smothered Chicken!

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I'd say Reggie had Superstar moments and no doubt Superstar playoffs and with that he is a retired Superstar. I wouldn't say he was a Superstar for any one season during his long career do to playing in Indy. Ray Allen gets more props then Reggie and I would take Reggie any day over Allen with out a doubt!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Considering LeBron still has a chance to be the GOAT I don't see any way for PG in his prime to reach the same level or greater...

I do see the potential for him to be greater for his team than TMAC ever was... He will prolly never score like McGrady but I think he will average 20+ PPG with elite supporting stats for his position... And that would make him a greater asset for his team than McGrady ever was... For all the scoring numbers McGrady provided his teams he could never get them out of the first round...

IMO - To say Paul is the next "insert player name" is silly... His overall game is VERY unique... He's the first of his kind... You don't see many 6'10" wings that excell more on D than they do O... Especially when his weaker side (offense) still has a chance to be top 10 (or possibly even 5) at his position in the league...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo

No. I think prime George will play a lot like Gay. When Gay joined the league he was a 2 guard and eventually moved to the SF spot. Gay's game is based on athleticism, quickness and shooting off the dribble. George has 2 of these qualities right now and I think his shooting is getting pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    No. I think prime George will play a lot like Gay. When Gay joined the league he was a 2 guard and eventually moved to the SF spot. Gay's game is based on athleticism, quickness and shooting off the dribble. George has 2 of these qualities right now and I think his shooting is getting pretty good.
    He is an excellent defender as well
    Smothered Chicken!

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

To answer the question you posted. NO!! He will never be close to the two players you mention. If he were going to be that player, we would have seen more of it by now. He will be very good and that is about it.....