Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respected National Journalism Outlet Calls Indianapolis "Bleak."

Default Respected National Journalism Outlet Calls Indianapolis "Bleak."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnion
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NBA Title Only Makes Indianapolis That Much More Bleak

INDIANAPOLIS—The Indiana Fever captured their first ever WNBA championship Sunday night with an 87-78 win over the Minnesota Lynx, an accomplishment that has reportedly only served to make the city of Indianapolis that much more miserable. “This joyless town really didn’t need this,” said Indianapolis native Rebecca Dynes, adding that the state’s capital city was depressing enough without anyone calling it the “home of the WNBA-champion Indiana Fever.” “On top of a famous race track, a nonexistent nightlife, and our sorry excuse for a skyline, now we have a WNBA title to be ashamed of too? Plus, you know it won’t be long before those pitiful victory boards start popping up next to every dismal highway.” At press time, city officials confirmed they had approved plans to rename a downtown street “Fever Boulevard.”
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/wnb...ch-more,30082/

Mad respect.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Respected National Journalism Outlet Calls Indianapolis "Bleak."

Have you seen the Pacers Top 10 Highlight Video from a couple years ago? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zEP3KhBH8A

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i love the onion.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You think you guys have it bad...we had a WNBA dynasty....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    You think you guys have it bad...we had a WNBA dynasty....
    And to think Tulsa had the audacity to keep the "Shock" name. That's almost as infamous as the Colts keeping the name in Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    And to think Tulsa had the audacity to keep the "Shock" name. That's almost as infamous as the Colts keeping the name in Indy.
    ...at least they had the good sense to take a 3 time champion and gut the entire roster in favor of circus acts like Marion Jones and 95-year old cheryl swoops....
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2012 at 06:17 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

If Rebecca is so displeased with Indy, she does have choices. I hardly believe her opinion aligns with that of most residents. But then again, it is quite easy to find at least one moron to quote that has the viewpoint that we want to push. It is done on this forum all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    If Rebecca is so displeased with Indy, she does have choices. I hardly believe her opinion aligns with that of most residents. But then again, it is quite easy to find at least one moron to quote that has the viewpoint that we want to push. It is done on this forum all the time.
    We need to start an Onion awareness campaign, this is getting out of hand.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

My favorite onion piece was on Jokim Noah...I can't find it anymore. Just spectacular. Talks about how intensely he celebrates a successful inbound pass, etc. Priceless.
    Last edited by Speed; 10-25-2012 at 09:57 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Are you trying to out-onion the onion?

You do not onion the Onion, sir. The Onion onions you.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Onion usually has hilarious stories about Indiana/Indianapolis. I'm glad we are always getting stories from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    My favorite onion piece was on Jokim Noah...I can't find it anymore. Just spectacular. Talks about how intensely he celebrates a successful inbound pass, etc. Priceless.
    I'm going to look for that now. haha Hope I find it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

In a late development Thursday, The Onion headquarters was engulfed by a fuming hole in the ground with only a few survivors left to describe the incident. It appears at approximately 10:21 on Thursday morning a large rumbling could be felt and heard underneath the street in front of the Onions college mail dorm like office building.

“I just heard a sound like train coming closer”, said Snarky a surviving journalist, “next thing I know a Coldplay song came on the intercom system and everyone checked their phones to see if they had a call… then all hell broke loose.

Apparently the incident was preceded by a strong odor of sulphur and then at the moment of explosion a squeaking sound and then…

“It sounded like fart” said Skip junior editor. “All I know, I looked out my window and my Prius was blown over.”

There is no official statement by The Onion, but an anonymous insider has this to say. “We were in a meeting, talking about the presidential election, WNBA, then it came across the wire that Apple was going to partner with Joakim Noah on a project and that’s when it all blew up.” Look I know we’s is exposted to be good with words being a college educated group of high level writers, but me no don’t have words…. Very scarrying”.

Apparently in an related story, Dennis Miller was also swallowed by a mini fuming hole at the exact same moment.

More updates to come, as made available.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Pretty much unrelated, but hilarious none the less. Indy's bid for the Olympics.

http://onion.com/nsqxYq

They do make a good point about the skyline. Aside from the JW, it's virtually looked the same for 20 plus years.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    We need to start an Onion awareness campaign, this is getting out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    All I wanted was to get one person. I'm glad to have succeeded in my goal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

As a science nerd, my favorite Onion piece is about the theory put forth to challenge to the theory of gravity, called "intelligent falling" or "IF". Adherents to the IF theory maintain that "gravity" is simply the manifestation of the will of the creator. They advocate that intelligent falling should be taught in school along with the theory of gravity, so that students can make "an informed decision" on the subject.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/eva...-new-int,1778/

(Sorry for the somewhat politically-tinged tangent)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    As a science nerd, my favorite Onion piece is about the theory put forth to challenge to the theory of gravity, called "intelligent falling" or "IF". Adherents to the IF theory maintain that "gravity" is simply the manifestation of the will of the creator. They advocate that intelligent falling should be taught in school along with the theory of gravity, so that students can make "an informed decision" on the subject.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/eva...-new-int,1778/

(Sorry for the somewhat politically-tinged tangent)
    Oh don't worry, you superior beings have done a splendid job of censoring those who were raised to believe otherwise. It's funny right?

Scientists do not censor scientific hypotheses, because they will stand (or not) on their own merits. Scientists do, however, ignore things that pretend to be science and that are not. Scientific hypotheses make predictions that can be tested. Other possible outcomes, inconsistent with the hypothesis, would refute it.

/last thought on this or the thread will get blown up!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Oh don't worry, you superior beings have done a splendid job of censoring those who were raised to believe otherwise. It's funny right?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

It's not funny. It's hilarious.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Have you seen the Pacers Top 10 Highlight Video from a couple years ago? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zEP3KhBH8A
    Oh wow...that's so funny. I almost smiled....

Mood

The Onion is at its best when it comes to political issues and hot button topics. I've always found their sports stuff kind of
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider