Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't know who Beckley Mason is, but...

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: I don't know who Beckley Mason is, but...

I already heard about this before I even got the magazine. They are obviously just trying to think outside the box and/or this person has never watched basketball a day in his life. I am still subscribed to ESPN the magazine and I have no idea why, I don't even read them, but I read this one. It's a joke, and it's sad that people will probably read the preview and believe it just because it's ESPN.

Basketball Prospectus did the projections then ESPN had their writers do blurbs about each team. It's an awkward combination because the standings don't reflect the writer's opinion.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

For example John Hollinger wrote the piece for the Hawks projected to finish second in the East so it looks like it's his projecion, but he already did his Hawks projection where they were seeded far lower. Blame ESPN for the absolutely stupid way they structured their playoff preview, not Beckley Mason or any of the writers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For example John Hollinger wrote the piece for the Hawks projected to finish second in the East so it looks like it's his projecion, but he already did his Hawks projection where they were seeded far lower. Blame ESPN for the absolutely stupid way they structured their playoff preview, not Beckley Mason or any of the writers.
    Why's our worst case scenario (I guess?) a 7 seed, but then the article puts us at 8? It's just so poorly structured.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    ESPN: Where entertainment comes before sports. They've literally made that their top priority in everything they do.
    They are the CNN of sports news. Both used to be leaders, the first to the 24 hour news cycle. Now they both chase the most ridiculous gimmicks and look silly most of the time, like an old man in skinny jeans saying "that's rad dude".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    ESPN: Where entertainment comes before sports. They've literally made that their top priority in everything they do.
    Yeah but ESPN is been used to make a point on the Colts thread and it looks like the majority agrees with it, so should we call ESPN "crap" when the majority doesn't agree with it and call it "the best side ever" when they agree?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ESPN like all things has it's ups and downs, but it's been shown that the rankings weren't even actually a product of ESPN's NBA department, they just wrote the blurbs. I'd wonder why the editors of ESPN the magazine wanted to do it this way in the first place?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah but ESPN is been used to make a point on the Colts thread and it looks like the majority agrees with it, so should we call ESPN "crap" when the majority doesn't agree with it and call it "the best side ever" when they agree?
    Because ESPN's NFL coverage is much much better than their NBA coverage.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    They are the CNN of sports news. Both used to be leaders, the first to the 24 hour news cycle. Now they both chase the most ridiculous gimmicks and look silly most of the time, like an old man in skinny jeans saying "that's rad dude".
    is the shot at IndyGeezer really necessary?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    In general, they state the obvious too much. There's really no "insider" information with them.

I'm not saying everything about ESPN is terrible. There's some people on there that I like and opinions I can respect because they explain themselves well enough, but for the most part, they repeat themselves over and over again. Especially when it comes to the NBA.

Intro says it's a stats projection. So that Beckley person was just told "Pacers are at #8, go and make a story why". It doesn't look smart, but how do you explain the Pacers at 8 and look smart?

You shouldn't flame him/her. :P

[QUOTE=Heisenberg;1513705]Is he aware our bench is entirely different?[/QUOTEI could see how he would miss the fact that we have ONE returning bench players who played more than 10 minutes a game, but did he not even know who we replaced the bench with? Did he read the article he wrote before printing it? SMH