Thread: Roy Hibbert Plans For A Big Leap

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Roy Hibbert Plans For A Big Leap

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-roy...or-a-big-leap/

Roy Hibbert’s Big Leap: Indiana Pacers big man Roy Hibbert was named an All-Star last season and got his monster payday this offseason by way of a maximum contract offer from the Portland Trail Blazers that the Pacers ultimately matched. Some could say Hibbert has gotten what he wanted over the last few years, but last year’s playoff run has left him even more motivated to live up to the new hype and expectations surrounding himself and his team.

“I feel comfortable within myself,” Hibbert said to HOOPSWORLD. “I feel that there’s more responsibility within me. I want that responsibility with that contract I was given. Whether it’s on offense or defense, I’m going to bring it every night, regardless.

“Last year was great. We played well. We want to build off last year. But we can’t think that just because where we were last year, we’re going to get there again without putting in the effort, sacrificing and putting a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. We have our work cut out for us, it’s a process and hopefully we can build throughout the year.”

The Pacers found success a year ago mainly due to Hibbert’s emergence as a consistent big in the East and guard Paul George dominating at times. Hibbert believes that in order for the Pacers to get back to the postseason, it’s going to take more than just Danny Granger, George and himself.

“It comes from all of us,” Hibbert said. “Personally, I know I want to make the big jump, whether that is on offense or defense. But I think everybody needs to be on the same page, working and being hungry for success. You should never be satisfied with losing.

“Everybody is working extremely hard in preseason, very focused. We have our ups-and-downs on the road right now, we’re 2-2, two at home and two away losses. The first couple games of the season are on the road, so we got to be road warriors and be sure to win those. It’s a good experience playing in a ‘hostile’ environment, but we got work to do.”

Despite the fifth-best record in the NBA and a convincing playoff push a year ago, the Pacers remain a team overlooked and underestimated.

“We’re going to be under the radar no matter what because that’s what people want to see, the big names,” said Hibbert. “It’s fine with us, we’re just going to go about our business and bring it.”

“If we work at it, we can do pretty well. Expectations are high, but there are a few guys on this team that will make sure we work and not just, say, settle. “

“I think we can get to the Eastern Conference Finals, hopefully win our division,” Hibbert said confidently. “It’ll take time. Nothing is given; you have to go get it. We have a chance to be really good if we put it all together.”

The Pacers open 12 of their first 18 games on the road, so the path to the playoffs for the Pacers won’t be easy. But with their starting core back, another year of experience together and a hobbled Chicago Bulls team likely conceding the division with Derrick Rose sidelined for the bulk of the season due to an ACL injury, the Pacers could be home court heroes again this year, if they can meet their own expectations.

D.J. Augustin, The Backup: D.J. Augustin was the starting point guard for the worst team, percentage wise, in NBA history last year. To say he was looking for a fresh start is an understatement.

This summer, Augustin dumped the Charlotte Bobcats for the Indiana Pacers as a free agent. While he’s now the primary backup to George Hill – the starter for the Pacers – he’s happy to have a chance to be part of a winning organization.

Augustin talks with HOOPSWORLD about his new team and his expectations for the season.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert Plans For A Big Leap

When did Paul dominate???

@Pacers24Colts12

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did Paul dominate???
    Are you kidding? There were some games last year where he was flat out unstoppable. IIRC one was against the Nets.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

He destroyed Dallas one game too. The game where he embarrassed Jason Terry on a breakaway. He hit 6 threes that game I think, and had a career high in points.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

I don't think Paul dominated once last season, even against he Mavs. That doesn't mean much though since very few players dominate.

Also, we're not flying under the radar, Roy. Almost every GM picked us to win the Central and we're commonly ranked 2nd in the East by major media outlets. Didn't you see how Orlando celebrated a preseason win against us? That rhetoric gets old.

I thought Roy looked most improved in the preseason game I saw. Strangely, I saw the most improvement in his moves, and that says a lot because he's in noticeably great shape.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy is going to have to dominate the low post against Miami.

Roy looked terrible against Minnesota, but he has looked incredibly good in every other game he's played in. I don't know if it's just me, but Roy looks more agile and his moves look MUCH smoother than they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I don't think Paul dominated once last season, even against he Mavs.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320203006

30pts, 9rebs, 5ast, 5stl, 1blk and 7 3-pointers in a road win against defending champs? Yeah, he dominated.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Who left their cornflakes unguarded for him to **** in?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Roy looked terrible against Minnesota, but he has looked incredibly good in every other game he's played in. I don't know if it's just me, but Roy looks more agile and his moves look MUCH smoother than they have in the past.
    It is all the dancing he did for the flash mob at the mall. :P

Mood

I don't think Paul dominated once last season, even against he Mavs. That doesn't mean much though since very few players dominate.

Also, we're not flying under the radar, Roy. Almost every GM picked us to win the Central and we're commonly ranked 2nd in the East by major media outlets. Didn't you see how Orlando celebrated a preseason win against us? That rhetoric gets old.

I thought Roy looked most improved in the preseason game I saw. Strangely, I saw the most improvement in his moves, and that says a lot because he's in noticeably great shape.
    He's one of the few players in the league who can change a game with defense from the perimeter. When he's dialed in he can absolutely wreak havoc man to man, and in passing lanes. There's more than one way to dominate. I'd say Paul was a dominate force in the Chicago series, his presence completely changed the game, and was arguably the biggest factor in the Pacers doing as well as they did being huge underdogs.

Roy does look much improved. His passing has been fantastic, and his post moves look polished. Especially since we're bringing Danny along slowly as well as Hill Roy can build up some major hype early on if he plays to his potential. I would argue we are overlooked as well, some have us 2nd, but many have us as low as fifth, and many look at our series vs. Miami as flukish, despite Bosh being out most of the Boston series too. Plus, i'd rather the players play with a chip on their shoulder rather than get complacent.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320203006

30pts, 9rebs, 5ast, 5stl, 1blk and 7 3-pointers in a road win against defending champs? Yeah, he dominated.
    I think we have different definitions of dominated. I think dominate is thrown around too loosely. Dominating is taking control of a game and being able to do whatever you want without the opponents being able to stop you. Paul had a great game, but I just don't think you can dominate by hitting wide open threes.

In response to daschysta (can't quote on the ipad), Paul definitely affected the Bulls series, but I think dominant force is a bit much. Derrick Rose still averaged 27/7 on Paul's defense. I don't think you can call it dominant defense when you haven't shut down your opponent or changed your opponent's gameplan.

Paul has the ability to be dominant but he's not there yet. Roy is a lot closer because of his defensive potential and position. It's much easier to dominate if you're a center or point guard.

David West is the closest player we have to being dominant (on offense) but our team doesn't play in a way that's conducive to dominating. The last Pacer to dominate a game was probably Jermaine O'Neal.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    He destroyed Dallas one game too. The game where he embarrassed Jason Terry on a breakaway. He hit 6 threes that game I think, and had a career high in points.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNTMIDaXTc
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

whenever I read an article about our run last season I hear all these different opinions about why we were good. This article said that "Hibbert’s emergence as a consistent big in the East and guard Paul George dominating at times" is the reason.

In my opinion our first "push" was D.West, he brought leadership and he was really clutch, he gave us some of these early wins that boosted our confidence and our ability to play as a team. Our second push was I guess the continued development of Roy. I don't think he made any "huge" leaps, but he improved. The third push was how well Danny played after the all-star break. He had really great numbers and was clutch when we needed him.

I don't think Paul was a main piece, or had major part in our success. He's young and developing, I like his game, but let's be honest. He's not there yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy, Lance, Paul AND the new bench want to make huge strides?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I still cannot believe how good it feels now to be a fan of the Pacers, and what a huge change it has been in just a year and a half.

Discussing basketball and players, possibilities and dreams, all while being secure in the direction of the franchise being positive...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

The last Pacer to dominate a game was probably Jermaine O'Neal.
    This

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has the potential to be the best center in the league. He will be soon
    "We want Miami"

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    This
    I would say Reggie still dominated his at times, his last season with us
    Sittin on top of the world!

He better take a big leap after being given that huge contract. He will be held to a completely different standard from here on out, and rightfully so. If he doesn't improve over last season then it will be a big disappointment.