Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    The Detroit Pistons have waived Jonny Flynn and Terrence Williams.

    Both players were lottery picks in the 2009 NBA Draft.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz2A85eCwSX
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    This shocks me...both players had so much promise in their rookie seasons...now they cant even make a roster spot
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,950

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    I think Jonny Flynn was just a beneficiary of the Big East and NCAA tournament hype. That and David Kahn is a huge idiot who drafted 3 point guards in a row on the same night. Terrence Williams just can't hit jump shots and was a victim of somebody else having a guaranteed contract that plays the same position (Daye).
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  5. #4
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Jonny Flynn was just a beneficiary of the Big East and NCAA tournament hype. That and David Kahn is a huge idiot who drafted 3 point guards in a row on the same night. Terrence Williams just can't hit jump shots and was a victim of somebody else having a guaranteed contract that plays the same position and plays it much better (Daye).
    Fixed!

  6. #5
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,950

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    The feeling I get from Pistons fans is that Daye isn't exactly a fan favorite.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Well, I do feel good about one thing. Several posters were beating Flynn's drum a couple of years ago. I doubt they will make much noise now that Flynn is available on the cheap.

  9. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    The oddest thing about Flynn is that his competitive fire never translated from college to the NBA. The guy had a never say die attitude at Cuse and has just kind of been viewed as a chump since he hit the NBA.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  10. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I do feel good about one thing. Several posters were beating Flynn's drum a couple of years ago. I doubt they will make much noise now that Flynn is available on the cheap.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...l=1#post888853
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Just about all of Flynns hype centered around that Syracuse and Ohio State game ( I think it was OSU ).

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEM For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,386

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    I really wanted to keep TWill. Flynn showed nothing, though.

  14. #11
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking back at this thread is just amazing. Thank you

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,827
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By Rush you mean Dunleavy. And by Dunleavy you mean a more athletic Dunleavy. And by more athletic Dunleavy, you mean a more athletic Dunleavy who lacks the veteran savvy and teammate involvement intangibles.

    And by less at athletic Dunleavy who lacks the veteran savvy and teammate involvement intangibles, you mean a white guy.
    What the....

    I wasn't high I swear.

  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    If the Pacers want a 3rd pg, I'd rather have Flynn than Ben Hans.

    Always liked TWill, but he's not a fit for the Pacers since we have someone much better in Green who can play sg and sf.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  19. #14
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers want a 3rd pg, I'd rather have Flynn than Ben Hans.

    Always liked TWill, but he's not a fit for the Pacers since we have someone much better in Green who can play sg and sf.
    I dont think the Pacers will get a real 3rd string PG. They can use Stephenson as their 3rd stringer (if need be)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  20. #15
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think the Pacers will get a real 3rd string PG. They can use Stephenson as their 3rd stringer (if need be)
    That's what I prefer, Lance. Lance needs to get as much burn at the pg/sg spot this year. Pacers really need to give him a shot (like they have with Hans) to see what they've got and see if he has the ability to adapt and get better.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,939

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    I think t will is the next Gerald Green he will go overseas and focus and fine tune his game and come back a good player.

    Flynn well i think he flat out sucks tbh.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  23. #17
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,220
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    I really liked Flynn. Its a shame to see him become a bust like he has.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  24. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Terrence Williams just can't hit jump shots and was a victim of somebody else having a guaranteed contract that plays the same position (Daye).
    Yep, that appears to be exactly the problem. Although it would appear that there could be something about his attitude after 3 stops now. When you look at his time with Detroit, shooting aside he was very productive in his couple of games. And ditto in his other stops. He went nuts in the NBDL in a "dude is too good for this league" manner.

    I'm not defending him because he was my pet pick, I'm simply saying that the things I liked about his game still appear to be there. He's a brilliant passer and a pretty strong defender. His awareness is great (at UL he was the guy telling Earl Clark where to be all the time). He keeps his TOs down.

    At times he shot too much, but often he seems willing to back off to accommodate not having a great jumper. So in basketball terms he seems like an easy fit for any bench at least. Yet he's getting set aside even by teams that could use him. I mean Daye was a terrible "PF" pick and yet there he remains with the roster while TWill is back to the drawing board.

    Just hard to figure. To me he's a much better "Lance" in every way EXCEPT SHOOTING. So bring him in as that big "PG" where he rips off 4 bench assists, a block, a steal, and gets physical on defense without throwing the ball all over the place or dominating it either. But if he's a head case then maybe it's a pointless wash.

    I don't know if his journey can be Green's because so much seems to be based on his shooting, but if he could avoid getting a chip and learn to grind his way back and become a positive in the locker room then he certainly has the skills to make it somewhere.



    Flynn was always massively overrated. His game was very NCAA level, the kind of guy that puts up great college numbers but without great NBA moves. Lawson has done far better overcoming his limitations, but Flynn was always a poor man's Lawson where Lawson really isn't an elite PG. Kahn just lost his mind on draft night there, forced a pick that had no business going that high.

  25. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    There were 2,958,077 reasons Austin Daye made the team over Terrence Williams. And since the Pistons are already paying Richard Hamilton to not play for them, they weren't going to pay Daye to not play for them as well.

  26. #20

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers were 36-46 in 08-09 and 32-50 in 09-10. Flynn has always played with a great fire and intensity that nobody can deny those Pacers teams lacked. Like Green, Flynn will go to the NBDL or Europe and will be back. He has too high of a character not to... It's amazing though that if you compare Augustin and Flynn's career numbers to this point, they are nearly identical.

  27. #21
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,825

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers were 36-46 in 08-09 and 32-50 in 09-10. Flynn has always played with a great fire and intensity that nobody can deny those Pacers teams lacked. Like Green, Flynn will go to the NBDL or Europe and will be back. He has too high of a character not to... It's amazing though that if you compare Augustin and Flynn's career numbers to this point, they are nearly identical.
    Terrence Williams is a good player, just been with bad teams. I think teams that are actually good should give him a chance
    "We want Miami"

  28. #22
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,827
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers were 36-46 in 08-09 and 32-50 in 09-10. Flynn has always played with a great fire and intensity that nobody can deny those Pacers teams lacked. Like Green, Flynn will go to the NBDL or Europe and will be back. He has too high of a character not to... It's amazing though that if you compare Augustin and Flynn's career numbers to this point, they are nearly identical.
    So if their numbers and talent are close, then maybe the character is an issue.

  29. #23

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if their numbers and talent are close, then maybe the character is an issue.
    Or a simple matter of one player being given plenty of opportunity to succeed while the other being given a short leash...

  30. #24
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,827
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or a simple matter of one player being given plenty of opportunity to succeed while the other being given a short leash...
    That might be it. Was he drafted by Kahn and traded to Kahn's predecessor? Its all Mchale's fault. Including what happened in Portland. There was a residual effect in Portland. A urinal splash back so to speak. I mean why erbody be holdin' Flynn down. Its the systems, I tells you.

  31. #25
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons Waive Flynn, Terrence Williams

    I know that the Pacers won't be picking up T-Will, but I'd love if my Mavs waived Dominique Jones so they could add him.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 03:17 AM
  3. 3 team trade: Terrence Williams to the Rockets
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
  4. New Jersey Nets' Terrence Williams out again with abdominal strain [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
  5. Tbird 2009 draft analysis #10: Terrence Williams
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •