Thread: New BLF scoreboard - What do you think?

Default New BLF scoreboard - What do you think?

I am interested in getting feedback from those that have been to BLF and seen the new scoreboard - all $16 million worth (thanks Herb). I know the whole video display hasn't been opened up yet, but the HD graphics part of it on all sides can be seen as well as the two boards at either end of the Fieldhouse. While the display as it stands is pretty amazing, I have a couple of thoughts on it as I saw it at last Tuesday's game with Atlanta. I sat in my usual spot in the upper level and had a great view of the full length of the display from there. How is the view from the lower level? Can you see it as easily from there or do you have lean back a bit from time to time to see what video display is on at the moment. I walked around to take a look at the end panels which are tilted a bit to give those at the North and South ends of the Fieldhouse a better view. One thing I noticed and I wanted to see what others thought, is that those panels are not as tall as the side panels which are 21 feet high. Since the end panels aren't but 15-17 feet high, the top portion was filled in with what appears to be a cardboard Kroger sign, which looked a bit tacky considering the HD polished look of everything else that makes up the scoreboard. Too bad it isn't 100% HD on all sides of the sign, since it is fairly amazing beyond that. The area above the Kroger sign is also open to the wiring and cables that hold the whole thing is place which, I suppose, is not a big deal. I also noticed that a smaller font was necessary for longer player names such as Stephenson, so those displays aren't the same size as the shorter names and a little harder to read. I suppose those with 20/20 vision wouldn't have a problem with that, but it is too bad all the names don't appear the same - font-wise. Also the sound is great, a big improvement over the MSA speakers, but does it have to be that loud? I've heard others say the same thing, before I saw/heard it myself. One other item, which is probably easily corrected, is that I thought the scores from other games that roll by continually throughout the evening at both ends of the Fieldhouse, do so rather quickly. By the time I glanced to check a score of a particular game, it had rolled by to a second or third set of scores. I would prefer it moved a bit slower, but that's just me. Guess I'm just being a bit picky, but I wanted to get others' thoughts. Overall, it is going to be a fantastic experience for the fans this year, not to mention the Pacer team out on the floor. Hope I don't find myself, like those in Dallas, viewing the HD scoreboard more than watching the game taking place with human lifeforms right there on the BLF floor. If that happens too much, I might just as well watch on HDTV at home. Well that's it. Have you been to a game yet? If so, what are your thoughts on the scoreboard that is, without question, the best in the NBA?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New BLF scoreboard - What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWind View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If so, what are your thoughts on the scoreboard that is, without question, the best in the NBA?
    Tell that to Houston.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Tell that to Houston.
    Yep, technically speaking Houston's board is bigger.

Granted, BLF is still a much better facility than the Toyota Center, but video board wise Houston one upped Indy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

haven't seen a picture of the one at the fieldhouse or Houston...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think they haven't revealed everything about it, so I am not passing judgement as yet.

However, I have to say that the font selection and size stink, both on the stat blocks on the bottom of the scoreboard and (especially) on the screens on the high wall at the ends of the Fieldhouse. I have to squint to make out the numbers, similar to what we used to have do on the stat blocks that flashed on the upper part of the old scoreboard before they changed the typeface last season and made it much more readable.

I just feel like most of the extra space is taken up by extra advertising and the presentation of critical information is actually worse than it used to be.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Maybe you need glasses? I found every thing easy to read.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Where do you sit? I thought the big side panels were easy to read - in fact, I read them most of the time - but the ends and high panels are not.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The pure display is sharp and clear. They kept promoting the fact that the "full screen" will debut at the Opener, which I assume means full screen video at times. For the game on SAT they kept side banners up the whole night.

One thing about content layout is that it can be changed on a whim. I suspect that info is being sent wireless to the displays because they were massively behind on stats for a good portion of the game, then suddenly had them all jump to the correct totals. So that tells you they are still working out the kinks as expected.

Give it a few months and they'll get a better sense of which presentations work and will improve the graphic design.

In pure functionality it's great, although not exactly easy to utilize from row 7. That goes without saying though.

Nice to see the new concourse TVs and the redone lighting/display of the concourse "bulb style" scoreboards, looks like white LED bulbs, bright and crisp.

I think what you saw during the Fever game and what you see during the Pacers season will be dramatically different. They were holding back on using it how they really plan on using it until they start of the Pacers season, so I wouldn't pass judgement yet.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think they haven't revealed everything about it, so I am not passing judgement as yet.

However, I have to say that the font selection and size stink, both on the stat blocks on the bottom of the scoreboard and (especially) on the screens on the high wall at the ends of the Fieldhouse. I have to squint to make out the numbers, similar to what we used to have do on the stat blocks that flashed on the upper part of the old scoreboard before they changed the typeface last season and made it much more readable.

I just feel like most of the extra space is taken up by extra advertising and the presentation of critical information is actually worse than it used to be.
    I don't like the new ones on the end walls, they are harder to see than they use to be.

It least they don't have to have the trained monkeys changing the scores anymore.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Well for us gents past the century mark you are correct. I had a hard time reading the stats in section 12 row 21.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    haven't seen a picture of the one at the fieldhouse or Houston...
    Here's one I snapped from my iPhone on Saturday @ BLF:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

In that picture the typeface is at almost the same size as the typeface I am using to read the forum. I read the forum fine. I can barely read the Grizz side and can't read the Pacers side at all.

It isn't size, it is readability and contrast.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    In that picture the typeface is at almost the same size as the typeface I am using to read the forum. I read the forum fine. I can barely read the Grizz side and can't read the Pacers side at all.

It isn't size, it is readability and contrast.
    It's not just you. I can't read the Pacers side at all and I'm not exactly old.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

It is nice and big, will be a very nice piece of technology in the Fieldhouse. Function wise I have very minor gripes like the stat area below the viewing screens are way too small for names longer than a few letters. This is especially true on the end cap boards.

I think my largest issue is aesthetics. It's pretty ugly! I think the back lit letters at the top of it are horribly spaced. It looks as if "Bankers Life Fieldhouse" is all one word. The end caps look tremendously tacky with that plastic/cardboard banner with the Kroger logo above the screens. That would have been the area to add a little "touch" to the scoreboard like some black rod iron surrounding a nice analog clock. Kind of like the top of the Baltimore Orioles outfield scoreboard pictured below:

My biggest complaint with the new additions is the new end boards that replaced the old dot matix and manual out of town scoreboards. I'm with BillS and a few others thinking that the font and font size make it very hard to see anything on these boards. Having names up there are nice, but I'd quickly sacrifice having the names squished up there for blocks and steals stats. Maybe rotate what we are use to seeing with a "Hustle Board" and "Team Stats" board since the individual player stats are on the center scoreboard.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    It is nice and big, will be a very nice piece of technology in the Fieldhouse. Function wise I have very minor gripes like the stat area below the viewing screens are way too small for names longer than a few letters. This is especially true on the end cap boards.

I think my largest issue is aesthetics. It's pretty ugly! I think the back lit letters at the top of it are horribly spaced. It looks as if "Bankers Life Fieldhouse" is all one word. The end caps look tremendously tacky with that plastic/cardboard banner with the Kroger logo above the screens. That would have been the area to add a little "touch" to the scoreboard like some black rod iron surrounding a nice analog clock. Kind of like the top of the Baltimore Orioles outfield scoreboard pictured below:

My biggest complaint with the new additions is the new end boards that replaced the old dot matix and manual out of town scoreboards. I'm with BillS and a few others thinking that the font and font size make it very hard to see anything on these boards. Having names up there are nice, but I'd quickly sacrifice having the names squished up there for blocks and steals stats. Maybe rotate what we are use to seeing with a "Hustle Board" and "Team Stats" board since the individual player stats are on the center scoreboard.
    The wife commented that there is no longer a clock anywhere to be able to tell the time, which is a bit disconcerting....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People go to games with no way to tell the time?

I admit I dig RG's suggestion of making it an architectural point above the two end screens, but I almost never looked at those clocks to know the time.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't realize how much I looked at the clock until it was gone. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I definitely notice that it's gone.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I didn't realize how much I looked at the clock until it was gone. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I definitely notice that it's gone.
    Yeah, that's the way we felt..

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    People go to games with no way to tell the time?

I admit I dig RG's suggestion of making it an architectural point above the two end screens, but I almost never looked at those clocks to know the time.
    I constantly used the clock on the scoreboard for time if I was at my seat. It was right there in front of me, and it was a glance rather than looking down at my watch or pulling out my cell.
    BillS

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really love it from a technological standpoint, however it lacks character. It's just four massive screens hanging from wire.

"But we have two tarps that say Kroger! That's old fashioned, right??? Right???"

I would definitely trade more of the advertisement real estate for some bigger fonts on the stats board. I'm sure finding a layout that caters to everyone wouldn't be difficult. I hate not being able to read those names and numbers.

The same goes for the baseline screens. Those screens are big enough to have everything displayed. Yet I have to squint to see them both.

Last rant, I miss the out-of-town manual scoreboards. If manpower was the issue, wouldn't have there been a way to automate those like the board in the Entry Pavilion?

The Fieldhouse is arguably the most-beautiful building in all of North-American Professional Sports. The nostaliga took a downturn when we dropped the pinstripes (granted some hated them anyway) and went after this modern look.