Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am expecting Gerald Green getting "significant" minutes this season

Default I am expecting Gerald Green getting "significant" minutes this season

And by significant I mean crunch time minutes. Saturday night was the first time I've seen this years team play and I was impressed with Green. He can do something better than anyone else on our team right now - as Vogel said in his comments after the game.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...nclick_check=1

He's just a shot maker," Pacers coach Frank Vogel said. "He's a great 3-point shooter and he has the ability whether it's a post up, on down screens or trying to create his own shot. That's a valuable weapon."

I often harp on the Pacers needing a player who can create a shot for himself and/or teammates when the shot clock winds down, late in games when the defense tightens, and in playoff games when defense is good the whole game. Pacers have lacked that type of player for a long time. Paul George might turn into that type of player someday, Granger at times can do it, but not consistantly, right now I think Green is probably our best player in getting a shot when things breakdown.

So I see Gerald Green playing a lot of minutes late in close games. He might not play a ton thrrough the first 40 minutes of games, but the last 8 minutes I expect him on the floor.

Who does he take minutes from? I'm not sure. Certainly there will be times when Green, Paul George and Granger will be on the court at the same time - and I realize that means either West or Hibbert will have to sit, but I can see that happening espcially if the Pacers are down by a few points.

I could also foresee Green taking some minutes from Paul George late in games, especially offensively. In fact there may be times very late in games when there are timeouts that we play offense - defense wiuth Green and George.

During the summer I was thinking that maybe we would see Augustin a lot in close games either replacing George Hill or playing alongside, but I don't see that happening too often - I think Green is the bench player who plays late in games.

(I hate to make any judgements based on preseason games, but if what I saw Saturday night from Augustin defensively is what we are going to get, I won't be happy. I thought his defense was nonexistant. I need to see more in a real game)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I am expecting Gerald Green get "significant" minutes this season

I really thought that DJ would perform much better defensively on a more defensive-oriented team. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have rubbed off on him yet and we haven't yet devised a means to cover up his weakness. Not that DC was great in that regard, but he was a step or two ahead of DJ. I'm hoping that DJ's defensive shortcomings don't prove to wash out his better fit offensively with the second unit.

As for Green, it appears the Pacers have found a diamond in the rough. He enables so much versatility for Vogel late in games. As you've stated, they can remain big by switching out Green/West or Green/Mahinmi on possessions or go both small and more athletic by playing Green, George, Hill and Granger together. Or, since West has already proven to be a late-game go to guy, they can switch out Green/George on alternate possessions.

I don't know how it is possible for any Pacers fan, even OlBlue, to be anything but excited about our prospects for the coming season.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I often harp on the Pacers needing a player who can create a shot for himself and/or teammates when the shot clock winds down, late in games when the defense tightens, and in playoff games when defense is good the whole game. Pacers have lacked that type of player for a long time. Paul George might turn into that type of player someday, Granger at times can do it, but not consistantly, right now I think Green is probably our best player in getting a shot when things breakdown.

Not to equate them but Jordan and Kobe could get a shot when they needed to because of their athletic ability.
    Green has the athletic ability certainly. He seems to have that personality of toughness that does not flinch under pressure. Definitely something the Pacers have lacked since Reggie. As Vogel said, that is a valuable weapon
    to have in your arsenal.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

(I hate to make any judgements based on preseason games, but if what I saw Saturday night from Augustin defensively is what we are going to get, I won't be happy. I thought his defense was nonexistant. I need to see more in a real game)
    I think the difference between DJ and DC is that DC would go around screens to the point of ridiculous, while DJ tries to fight his way through and gets squashed like a little bug.

Neither works well but I appreciate DJ's attitude
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Buck for the "duh" moment of the year.

6th men usually do get significant minutes. Time to step up your prediction level pal.

As for usage and who doesn't play, it's pretty obvious to me that Roy/Ian/West is a late game rotation based on matchups, fouls, and what you need at the moment. Ditto for Danny/Paul/Green. And on top of that you can push small at times if Danny rolls to PF.

Green is clearly going to get 20-25 a night with the option to expand on some nights, DJ should be around 15-18, Ian will be on 20-25 if he can avoid fouls, Young should see 12-15.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Buck for the "duh" moment of the year.

6th men usually do get significant minutes. Time to step up your prediction level pal.

OK, but really my more exact point was that I expect Green to get a lot of crunch time minutes perhaps at the expense of Paul George

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Or Danny. Or even a frontline guy.

Green's greatest improvement is his mature, cool demeanor on the court. He's got "vet" written all over him, and given his history this is a dramatic improvement though also understandable. If he hadn't found that maturity he probably wouldn't be back in the NBA in the first place.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Or Danny. Or even a frontline guy.

Green's greatest improvement is his mature, cool demeanor on the court. He's got "vet" written all over him, and given his history this is a dramatic improvement though also understandable. If he hadn't found that maturity he probably wouldn't be back in the NBA in the first place.
    This! I also think it's ENORMOUSLY important for this team to still have Brian Shaw with the team actively helping the likes George and Stepenon. Then you get vets like Danny and Green to mentor those guys aswell and it's really hugo IMHO.

With regards to Shaw... to me he feels as important as Mike Brown was when he was an assistant with us. I REALLY hope we keep him as long as possible. It's the sort of guy you "overpay" for to remain with the team. And IF he leaves we need to get something comparable back ASAP, though that is going to be hard.

Green. IF he keeps up this play during the season... I expext the "trade Danny" sounds to return rapidly (alas). George-Granger-Green ... G3, awesome group of players!
    Last edited by Mourning; 10-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

OK, but really my more exact point was that I expect Green to get a lot of crunch time minutes perhaps at the expense of Paul George
    The most recent pre-season game is the only one I've had a chance to see, and you have pretty much echoed my thoughts about Green and Paul George. Actually I think if PG doesn't step it up, he may lose more than "crunch time" minutes to Green.

Young should see 12-15.
    Wow, that would be huge.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

Does anyone see Green's long-term Pacers' potential as more than a Sixth Man, and as an eventual starter next to Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Does anyone see Green's long-term Pacers' potential as more than a Sixth Man, and as an eventual starter next to Paul George?
    only the Granger Haters.

Danny is about a billion times better player.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

i think the 6th man roles perfect for GReen. he can still get starter type minutes there if he's worthy.

We still need a ball handling 2 guard. i dont see one on the roster. its not ideal having 4 SFs and a PG on the wing.

cue a wings a wing post...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Green for six man of the year for sure. Hopefully this translates to regular season. What I've seen so far is spectacular. He can dribble, shoot threes, fade away jumpers, create his own shot, obviously dunk the ball, can play defense, and plays with a fire and intensity all the time. He def has a chip on his shoulder. Instant offense on a whole other level than barbosa. I'm very impressed so far. What's not to like?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    i think the 6th man roles perfect for GReen. he can still get starter type minutes there if he's worthy.

We still need a ball handling 2 guard. i dont see one on the roster. its not ideal having 4 SFs and a PG on the wing.

cue a wings a wing post...
    why do we need a 2 that can handle the ball? sure it'd be nice, but NEED? honestly we have one, and his name's George Hill and he's going to play a ton with Augustin.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    only the Granger Haters.

Danny is about a billion times better player.
    I'm not a Granger hater, but his play the last two seasons have really irritated me.

Do I think Green is better than Granger? Absolutely not. However, there were so many times the last few years where Granger has just been a black hole on offense. I'm not going to make any assumptions of Green until I see him in something other than just a few preseason games - but judging by his shooting percentage, he takes better shots.

I also feel like Granger kept putting fuel on the Heats fire in the playoffs by constantly trying to make something more than it was.

Don't get me wrong, I love Granger to death - but like I said, his play has really been frustrating. I feel like he is a hell of a lot better than he plays, and I put a lot of that on him being too emotional on the court. If Granger played within himself and played like a vet, its a no brainer. IF, again, not going to assume anything off a few preseason games, but IF Green plays within his limits and plays like a vet, then he could be more valuable to the team and to the growth of George.

So much of this depends on Grangers mind set. I love him, I just don't like his decision making.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Isn't that exactly what you think Lance is?

And as Heisenberg deftly pointed out, we do have a ball handling 2. He just happens to start at the 1.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 10-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Isn't that exactly what you think Lance is?

And as Heisenberg deftly pointed out, we do have a ball handling 2. He just happens to start at the 1.
    No, I've never thought of Lance as SG. He's point guard who doesn't understand how run a team on this level.

I guess we do have a SG playing PG, but he's not a guy that really scares the defense when the balls in his hands. I don't think I'd want him to start at SG anyway. He's too small. He's best suited for a 6th man roll, obviously.

Maybe need was too strong, but I'm tired of sloppy offense, bad passing, and beyond terrible fast breaks. We need as many play makers on the floor as we can get IMO.

No, I've never thought of Lance as SG. He's point guard who doesn't understand how run a team on this level. I guess we do have a SG playing PG, but he's not a guy that really scares the defense when the balls in his hands. I don't think I'd want him to start at SG anyway. He's too small. He's best suited for a 6th man roll, obviously.

Maybe need was too strong, but I'm tired of sloppy offense, bad passing, and beyond terrible fast breaks. We need as many play makers on the floor as we can get IMO.
    That's probably the best description of Lance & exactly how I feel.

I just don't see him as a shooting guard at all, in fact if he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is pretty useless IMO. But he just does not translate this into good play enough.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

He's point guard who doesn't understand how run a team on this level.
    Which makes him a SG. Being a PG is about mentality, not skill set. Lance plays with a SG mentality, who just happens to have skills often associated more with a PG.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

No, I've never thought of Lance as SG. He's point guard who doesn't understand how run a team on this level.
    So essentially, he's either a shooting guard who can't shoot or a point guard who can't run an offense, yet you expect him to be a rotation player?

Why?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Default Re: I am expecting Gerald Green getting "significant" minutes this season

"A point guard who doesn't understand how to run an offense at this level"

Hmmm...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I'm not a Granger hater, but his play the last two seasons have really irritated me.

Do I think Green is better than Granger? Absolutely not. However, there were so many times the last few years where Granger has just been a black hole on offense. I'm not going to make any assumptions of Green until I see him in something other than just a few preseason games - but judging by his shooting percentage, he takes better shots.

I also feel like Granger kept putting fuel on the Heats fire in the playoffs by constantly trying to make something more than it was.

Don't get me wrong, I love Granger to death - but like I said, his play has really been frustrating. I feel like he is a hell of a lot better than he plays, and I put a lot of that on him being too emotional on the court. If Granger played within himself and played like a vet, its a no brainer. IF, again, not going to assume anything off a few preseason games, but IF Green plays within his limits and plays like a vet, then he could be more valuable to the team and to the growth of George.

So much of this depends on Grangers mind set. I love him, I just don't like his decision making.
    I've noticed a couple of Posters saying something to this extent. I personally didn't mind Danny getting in Lebron's face following an elbow. Was it over the top? Sure. But I'd much rather see my player get in the face of another guy, than see my player back off when the alpha male is barking at him. Up until game 4 and their back's were completely against the wall; Lebron and Wade seemed kind of "put in their place" because of this Pacer team that wouldn't back down.

Obviously eventually talent took over and they closed out the series, but I don't think DG getting in Lebron's face was adding fuel to the Heat's fire.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I am expecting Gerald Green getting "significant" minutes this season

Lance has a scorers mentality. And in order for him to score it requires him to pound the ball for a fourth of the shot clock before he gets a shot up. It is what it is. If you put him into the point guard category I'd say think Gilbert Arenas. If you put him at SG then think Allen Iverson. Either way, he's not really a facilitator.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I've noticed a couple of Posters saying something to this extent. I personally didn't mind Danny getting in Lebron's face following an elbow. Was it over the top? Sure. But I'd much rather see my player get in the face of another guy, than see my player back off when the alpha male is barking at him. Up until game 4 and their back's were completely against the wall; Lebron and Wade seemed kind of "put in their place" because of this Pacer team that wouldn't back down.

Obviously eventually talent took over and they closed out the series, but I don't think DG getting in Lebron's face was adding fuel to the Heat's fire.
    I've got to disagree with you. It reminds me of the fly that bugs the heck out of you for awhile.........so to try to ignore it for a bit........but.......Then you finally get honked off enough that you empty the entire can on RAID on the darned thing. That is what Lebron did to Granger.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post: