Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana is officially a basketball state again

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana is officially a basketball state again

On a professional level, Indiana has proven to me to be a fickle state. After everyone abandoned the Pacers with the "thug" era, and now seeing Colts fans follow Peyton to Denver... I am honestly embarrassed by it.

Indiana is a college state, and outside of Notes Dame football, which a lot of Indiana doesn't connect with as much as Chicago does, our colleges are basketball colleges.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I think football is bigger in Indiana than basketball is. Where it might feel different is the gap between football and basketball in Indiana is a lot less as compared to almost any other state. In many states basketball is nothing - go to any southeast state and football is everything.

So in Indiana if football is a 70, and basketball is a 65. In a state like Georgia basketball might be a 20 and football is 100.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, football is bigger than this forum might think. I'm guessing since it's a basketball forum, most people on this forum have a basketball-centric view of sports. I'm a huge fan of both the Colts and Pacers, and I also grew up a Hoosier basketball and Notre Dame football fan, so I'm fairly balanced in my allegiances. It wasn't always that way; I can say with quite a bit of certainty that in the 90s this was most definitely a basketball state. Peyton Manning has changed that.... tremendously. So did Ron Artest.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm certainly not suggesting that football isn't big. I am just saying this always has been and always will be a basketball state. Did you guys see the lines waiting to get into Assembly Hall on Saturday for a bloody practice? People were lined up 36 hours ahead of time. Plus in terms of national perception there is no doubt that we are viewed as a basketball state. There's this little movie called Hoosiers....

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a professional level, Indiana has proven to me to be a fickle state. After everyone abandoned the Pacers with the "thug" era, and now seeing Colts fans follow Peyton to Denver... I am honestly embarrassed by it.

Indiana is a college state, and outside of Notes Dame football, which a lot of Indiana doesn't connect with as much as Chicago does, our colleges are basketball colleges.
    The Colts have sold out every game this season and support of the team is still fairly strong considering we dumped one of the greatest players in NFL history. Of course Colts fans are interested in what Peyton does in Denver. But that doesn't mean they don't still put the Colts at number 1. I think the people who would root for Denver over the Colts make up a very small percentage of fans.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-22-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts have sold out every game this season and support of the team is still fairly strong considering we dumped one of the greatest players in NFL history. Of course Colts fans are interested in what Peyton does in Denver. But that doesn't mean they don't still put the Colts at number 1. I think the people who would root for Denver over the Colts makeup a very small percentage of fans.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A college team will always sell out when you're talking the IUs and Purdue's and ND's.... those kids have allegiance to their alma mater. Bloomington's population is like 70% school enrollment, and what else are those kids gonna do after getting licquored up at the tailgates all day.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I agree with UB. Football is king in this country, and Indiana is no different. But we have a bigger interest than most states in basketball. And while we may think that the gap is closing, I don't see basketball eclipsing the game of football.

Unless high school basketball breaks the classes up that is.

If we are talking about at a pro level yes this state like basically every other cares more about football, but that speaks more to the NBA product than basketball in general. Once you get away from pro sports it is a completely different subject. It might seem like things have switched, but I think that is more a symptom of a transition period than because an actual wane in love for the sport. Look what happened in the 2000's in Indiana basketball. Knight gone, Keady gone, Miller gone, Brawl, Sampson, etc. All of the big players have had major issues and legends leave. Still when Warren Central has a top RB prospect most people have no idea, mean while everyone takes notice when there is a top basketball prospect. Basketball is still king in this state, just the major players have given people good reason, unrelated to basketball, not to support them. There is one thing this state cares about more than basketball, it is doing it the right way. Not putting winning over ethics, which was something that wasn't always present and it put a sour taste in peoples mouth. Mean while you have an upstanding organization that is also a championship contender year in and year out, it is easy to see why people gravitated towards the Colts. Just don't confuse that with football being king in this state.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: