Thread: We really did upgrade the bench

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We really did upgrade the bench

Getting Ian was an upgrade.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's amazing how a contract as small as 3.5M has forced us to be "creative" in order to improve our roster this season. And really, Ian's contract isn't looking that good right now either, though he'll have a shot at trying to earn it next year in the playoffs. These aren't Murphy/Dunleavy level moves, but they are really hurtful on a small scale. I like to keep repeating it, but I thought last offseason was the worst, pound for pound, in recent memory.

When Bird was asked at the presser last week if he thought Donnie did a good job, his reply was something like "Yes, we made it to the ECF, didn't we"? That's a textbook example of how to be diplomatic.
    Ian is not the problem, he played well most of the season. G Green's contract is the one hurting the team now. He played great for NJ and stunk it up for Indy. He has 2 years left, maybe he figures it out. Probably not.

Thus the Granger AND Green trade scenario's. Whatever happens this team will be fine.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Getting Ian was an upgrade.
    Completely disagree. It is not like Ian got benched for Pendy at the end of last season because Pendy is a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Completely disagree. It is not like Ian got benched for Pendy at the end of last season because Pendy is a great player.
    Ian Mahinmi > Lou Amundson he is an upgrade

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Gerald Green looked so good during the preseason. I thought his hot streak would cool going into the regular season but not by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Not by much.

Mood

Not at all. Lou=Ian IMO

Ian is a huge upgrade over Lou. His defense against NY and Miami was underrated. Yes, LeBron decided to attack the rim as soon as Hibbert went out, but he wasn't super successful against Ian. Last year Lou was a huge liability for us in the playoffs.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Not at all. Lou=Ian IMO
    Lou Amundson- 3.6 ppg 3.7 rpg .7 blkpg 43% FG%

Ian Mahinmi- 5.0 ppg 3.9 rpg .8 blkpg 46% FG%

I think Ian is an upgrade, you can't forget Ian's size, he is a better rim protector than Lou

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Ian is a huge upgrade over Lou. His defense against NY and Miami was underrated. Yes, LeBron decided to attack the rim as soon as Hibbert went out, but he wasn't super successful against Ian. Last year Lou was a huge liability for us in the playoffs.
    Sorry, I guess I just do not see it. For his size I thought he was a poor rebounder, was often late with his defensive rotations and couldn't catch the ball. I can see why Dallas and San Antonio were not killing themselves to keep him. While Lou was far from a great player he at least brought energy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Ian is an upgrade on the pony-tailed weirdo. The numbers don't really tell me ****, but Ian is bigger and plays better defense than PTW.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

oh man, Ian is equal to Lou now...

Mood

Lou Amundson- 3.6 ppg 3.7 rpg .7 blkpg 43% FG%

Ian Mahinmi- 5.0 ppg 3.9 rpg .8 blkpg 46% FG%

I think Ian is an upgrade, you can't forget Ian's size, he is a better rim protector than Lou
    Now compare their salaries. Have fun with that.

Now compare their salaries. Have fun with that.
    salaries have nothing to do with who is the better basketball player

Mood

salaries have nothing to do with who is the better basketball player
    Yes but minutes do, something which you conveniently forgot to leave out. Lou put up his stats in 4 less minutes per game than Ian.

I agree these stats are meaningless FWIW, but if you are going to bring them up tell the whole story.

Yes but minutes do, something which you conveniently forgot to leave out. Lou put up his stats in 4 less minutes per game than Ian.

I agree these stats are meaningless FWIW, but if you are going to bring them up tell the whole story.
    The fact that Vogel trusted Ian enough to play him more sorta says something

Sorry, I guess I just do not see it. For his size I thought he was a poor rebounder, was often late with his defensive rotations and couldn't catch the ball. I can see why Dallas and San Antonio were not killing themselves to keep him. While Lou was far from a great player he at least brought energy.
    Yes, he has his flaws but he's a really good rim protector. We're comparing him to the best rim protector in the game so it's easy to see the discrepancies, but he's probably in the top 15-20 in the league. Whether or not that's worth $4M, I don't know, that's a different debate, but he did have value for us in the playoffs.

Lou really did nothing beyond the regular season. I know he was a fan favorite for his hustle, but he was way too small to have any kind of positive effect once the playoffs hit.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Compared to last year, I think this year's bench will have more veteran experience. We probably won't be as athletic, but I'd rather have a bench that knows the fundamentals.

Ian Mahinmi per 36- 10.9 ppg 8.5 rpg 1.8 blkpg 46% shooting 9.0 FGA

Lou Amundson per 36- 10.2 ppg 10.4 rpg 2.1 blkpg 43% shooting 9.9 FGA

I don't like per 36 numbers because they inflate stats that you don't usually use (Lou would not average double digit rebounds per game) but there stats are very similar outside of rpg, Lou averages .2 more blkpg, while Ian averages more ppg on less FGA per game, Ian also shoot 3% higher in FG%, and Ian is definitely the better defender

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

rofl @ Ian = Lou

Lou is bad defensive PF, and he was playing center. yeah...

Ian went downhill offensively in the 2nd half/playoffs but was still steady on the other end in his minutes.

Oh gosh, there's no comparison between Lou and Ian. It's just night and day.

Tyler really did get better: he added a left hand, learned to pass, and started playing D. If he could have gotten back to sticking the open jumper at 45%, he'd still be on the team.

Stephenson was TONS better. If Danny had played this year, Stephenson would really have boosted our bench scoring.

DJ Augustin, I still don't understand. He just played the worst season of his life. I expected his totals to go down from when he was a starter, but his efficiency to go up. Now that he could pick his spots, I thought his three-point shooting (if nothing else) would be solid. Joke's on me.

Green was bad this year, no doubt. But again, I expected the poor BBIQ but didn't expect the dramatic decrease in his shooting percentages. Even with his mistakes, if he'd been hitting the three at a clip like he did in New Jersey then he'd have been a valuable player for us this year. I still think he could improve: Lance improved his BBIQ a ton while he was here. If you find a quality deal for him I'd take it, but for now I hold out hope that another year in this system could help him not look so lost.

So yeah. While the bench didn't end up doing what I thought it would, this thread still looks pretty reasonable in hindsight.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Green was bad this year, no doubt. But again, I expected the poor BBIQ but didn't expect the dramatic decrease in his shooting percentages. Even with his mistakes, if he'd been hitting the three at a clip like he did in New Jersey then he'd have been a valuable player for us this year. I still think he could improve: Lance improved his BBIQ a ton while he was here. If you find a quality deal for him I'd take it, but for now I hold out hope that another year in this system could help him not look so lost.
    The thing is, Lance is young and developing. Green has been in (and out of) the league since 2005. If he hasn't got it by now, I wouldn't count on his IQ to see the kind of spike that would make him an asset to a championship caliber team.

Ian was better than Lou.

Green ended up being a mirage.

DJ and Tyler were DJ and Tyler.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Oh gosh, there's no comparison between Lou and Ian. It's just night and day.

Tyler really did get better: he added a left hand, learned to pass, and started playing D. If he could have gotten back to sticking the open jumper at 45%, he'd still be on the team.

Stephenson was TONS better. If Danny had played this year, Stephenson would really have boosted our bench scoring.

DJ Augustin, I still don't understand. He just played the worst season of his life. I expected his totals to go down from when he was a starter, but his efficiency to go up. Now that he could pick his spots, I thought his three-point shooting (if nothing else) would be solid. Joke's on me.

So yeah. While the bench didn't end up doing what I thought it would, this thread still looks pretty reasonable in hindsight.
    For the Sense of humor about self Award . . . I go with Coupe.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Looks like some of you started hitting the liquor a day early.