Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We really did upgrade the bench

Default Re: We really did upgrade the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now is Peck's chance....do it for humanity!
    Particularly, with OlBlu using the smiley cool emoticon, this post seems like nothing more than an effort to troll.

I like our core a lot up until 8 players.
    The rest not so much but I'm totally fine with Hansbrough and Stephenson getting their last chance to prove themselves and Young as a cheaper and IMO slightly worse D Jones type of player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I thought he stunk last year in pre-season. I forgot nothing. Just like I saw his 13 rebounds on SAT and realized that they came to nearly zero for the team due to how he got them (FT rebounds) or what happened when he did (blocked shot, charge, missed shots).
    Yep he "stunk", 19 and 11 against Chicago in the first preseason game while playing against Noah and Boozer

Game 2: he got 24 points and 14 rebounds against the Bulls again what a horrible player....

I guess that if Tyler with this numbers "stunk" everybody on the Pacers during this preseason has "stunk" the joint too.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Now is Peck's chance....do it for humanity!
    Do it for me, so I don't have to see someone I have blocked get quoted.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Obviously, you meant to say Ron instead of Roy wouldn't have made it through that season, and you're absolutely right. The 04 team was a beast from a talent perspective, but I don't like hearing that they could have beaten the 2000 team.
    I think talent wise the 2002-2003 team was hands down the most talented roster we ever had. It was the same team from 04 except replace Scott Pollard with Brad Miller. Brad Miller >>>Scott Pollard. I even vividly remember Mark Boyle saying as much on one of the radio broadcasts and Slick agreed. Obviously talent alone doesn't make a good TEAM though as the 03 team swan dived after the allstar break and limped out of the playoffs in the first round.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess he got away with bashing Luck so much he thinks he can now bash the PD equivalent of the sacred cow.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Before we get too high, let's remember that Ian has foul problems, DJ's Matador defense, Tyler's TOs and lack of passing. Not sure about Green's defense either.
    I agree....let's come back to Earth here. With Mahinmi's penchant for fouling....I really hope that Vogel realizes that Mahinmi has 6 ( not 5 fouls ) . But in reality...I still see Hansbrough getting roughly 16 mpg if we look at a split of 28 mpg each for West and Hibbert and 24 mpg for Mahinmi. I think that what will limit Mahinmi's minutes is not fatigue...it will be foul trouble. But I really hope that we go with Granger to play some backup PF minutes and limit Hansbrough to 12 mpg where he can come in and provide some really high energy off the bench. I really would like to see a really a small # of minutes with an athletic SG/SF/PF lineup of PG/Green/Granger can do.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

With Mahinmi, how much do we really need him to play? And he has improved his fouling every year in the league. I think we could squeeze 16-20 minutes out of him not problem.

And Vogel could frontload his minutes as well. So if Mahinmi is having a good game of not fouling he can play more minutes. If hes having one of those games, then Tyler or Plumlee gets some minutes.

And really I am not sure why people are so worried about our Benches D. Our Bench is better offensively, and our bench last year on D was horrible against Miami. At least this lineup might be able to score some points against them.

Frankly I prefer the idea of our bench being run and gun. Pushing the pace. So when opposing teams try and play their stars against out Bench. Just have them trade points, maybe let the other team make a small dent in any possible leads. But then that leaves their stars more worn out when we put the starters back in.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yep he "stunk", 19 and 11 against Chicago in the first preseason game while playing against Noah and Boozer

Game 2: he got 24 points and 14 rebounds against the Bulls again what a horrible player....

Game 3: 15 and 13 against Detroit.

game 4: 8 and 8 against the Raptors

game 5: 11 and 12 against Cleveland

game 6: 16 and 5 against Detroit.

I guess that if Tyler with this numbers "stunk" everybody on the Pacers during this preseason has "stunk" the joint too.
    There was only 2 preseason games last year

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    There was only 2 preseason games last year
    Yeah I got confused with the schedule, my point still stand anyway, thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah I got confused with the schedule, my point still stand anyway, thanks for letting me know.
    Agree, the point remains, but jus'sayin. Far as the point, I honestly have no idea. I don't remember a single thing about the 2 games against the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    With Mahinmi, how much do we really need him to play? And he has improved his fouling every year in the league. I think we could squeeze 16-20 minutes out of him not problem.

And Vogel could frontload his minutes as well. So if Mahinmi is having a good game of not fouling he can play more minutes. If hes having one of those games, then Tyler or Plumlee gets some minutes.

And really I am not sure why people are so worried about our Benches D. Our Bench is better offensively, and our bench last year on D was horrible against Miami. At least this lineup might be able to score some points against them.

Frankly I prefer the idea of our bench being run and gun. Pushing the pace. So when opposing teams try and play their stars against out Bench. Just have them trade points, maybe let the other team make a small dent in any possible leads. But then that leaves their stars more worn out when we put the starters back in.
    Besides defense and rebounding I want to see Ian continue to score inside like he has during the preseason. That puts a lot of pressure on the other teams defense and does not allow them to key on the perimeter players when Roy is out.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

18. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Besides defense and rebounding I want to see Ian continue to score inside like he has during the preseason. That puts a lot of pressure on the other teams defense and does not allow them to key on the perimeter players when Roy is out.

Has he really looked that good offensively? Thanks to my lame duck cardinals i hadnt got a chance to watch any games?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Has he really looked that good offensively? Thanks to my lame duck cardinals i hadnt got a chance to watch any games?
    Yes, about 1 million times better than what I expected & about 1 billion times better than Lou.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

If Roy sees more minutes, that means Mahinmi will almost certainly be playing against other bench players. Part of the issue last year was that Roy was playing fewer minutes, which meant Lou was playing against starters as much as bench players.

Playing our starters against other starters, and our bench against other benches - I like the match-ups.

EDIT - another part of the problem with Lou was his complete lack of offense and being under-sized for a center
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ian has been the breakaway suprise of the off-season for me. I already had very high expectations of Green after watching him in New Jersey last season, but Ian, man, he looks like he could be a starter on some teams, and is still relatively young. Some of Ian's post moves have been very, very advanced, and he made Marc Gasol look like an ******* trying to guard him in the post, forcing him to foul 3 times in a short period and scoring twice on him.

Getting a guy like him for 4 million dollars, given the market for 7 footers who can walk and chew gum at the same time, may turn out to be one of the biggest steals in recent Pacers memory. I love, love, love getting a guy like Gerald Green, who I think can legitimately challenge for 6MOY for 3 million per too, great, shrewd moves. I'm near to the point of wanting to phase Tylers minutes out and have Ian as the primary backup at the 4 and 5 position alongside either Roy or West at almost all times, with Tyler getting minutes in blowouts and nights were people have foul trouble. His mobility has impressed me the most, he'll be an upgrade defending the pick and roll over Roy or West, and that could be huge some nights. He and Green look like they'll be a great 1 2 punch off of the bench every night.

I like alot of what I see from Augustin, but man, he's even worse than DC on D, hopefully Vogel will find a way to hide him on that end, because opponents are getting whereever they want against him every night, there are so many good point guards that it could hurt us if he ends up playing against especially starters. Love his handles, speed on offense and ability to spread the floor though. I think we'll see a shorter rotation this year, with both Ian and Green playing 20+ minutes. They offer real skills that in certain situations may make sense to sub in for certain starters, Mobility for Ian, Shooting and shot creation for Gerald.
    Last edited by daschysta; 10-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Ian has been the breakaway suprise of the off-season for me. I already had very high expectations of Green after watching him in New Jersey last season, but Ian, man, he looks like he could be a starter on some teams, and is still relatively young. Some of Ian's post moves have been very, very advanced, and he made Marc Gasol look like an ******* trying to guard him in the post, forcing him to foul 3 times in a short period and scoring twice on him.

Getting a guy like him for 4 million dollars, given the market for 7 footers who can walk and chew gum at the same time, may turn out to be one of the biggest steals in recent Pacers memory. I love, love, love getting a guy like Gerald Green, who I think can legitimately challenge for 6MOY for 3 million per too, great, shrewd moves. I'm near to the point of wanting to phase Tylers minutes out and have Ian as the primary backup at the 4 and 5 position alongside either Roy or West at almost all times, with Tyler getting minutes in blowouts and nights were people have foul trouble. His mobility has impressed me the most, he'll be an upgrade defending the pick and roll over Roy or West, and that could be huge some nights. He and Green look like they'll be a great 1 2 punch off of the bench every night.

I like alot of what I see from Augustin, but man, he's even worse than DC on D, hopefully Vogel will find a way to hide him on that end, because opponents are getting whereever they want against him every night, there are so many good point guards that it could hurt us if he ends up playing against especially starters. Love his handles, speed on offense and ability to spread the floor though. I think we'll see a shorter rotation this year, with both Ian and Green playing 20+ minutes. They offer real skills that in certain situations may make sense to sub in for certain starters, Mobility for Ian, Shooting and shot creation for Gerald.
    I said that the day we signed him I was shocked that he signed for so cheap. Getting a starting quality C(not a top 10 C by any means) for 4m was by far my favorite move of the off season. Going into the offseason my hope was to get Dalembert who the Rockets were trying to give away. But getting Ian was much better he is younger and was a better fit. To be honest I didnt even know Ian was a free agent until he signed. By far the day Ian signed was the happiest I had been all summer. Green will put up better numbers and be flashy but Ian will make a bigger difference than people realize he is really good at what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yes, about 1 million times better than what I expected & about 1 billion times better than Lou.
    I don't think that's fair to Lou. Hyperbole makes for an easily memorable post, but it also waters down meaning if you do it too much.

Please stick with something reasonable. On offense, I'd say that Ian looks about 750,000,000 times better than Lou.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

After finally catching a pre-season game, and seeing Mahinmi, Green, and Augustin for myself, I felt like re-visiting this thread was a good idea.

We really did upgrade the bench.

When Hill and Granger get fully healthy, the 8-man rotation on this team will be very good. And I don't mean just adequate. I mean, our top 8 is going to be equal to or better than anyone else's top 8. Other teams may have 2, 3, even 4 players. But we have 8 guys that can start. After that, Tyler, Miles, Lance, Ben, Pendergraph... clearly not the same level, but when you start complaining at guy #9 or #10, you're in good shape.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I'm not gonna pretend to be anything close to a Mahinmi expert, but I've gotta assume going to teams with coaches and cultures like San Antonio and Dallas had to do wonders for him. Goes to show how important culture is to reaching potential. Remember how AWESOME! Hassan Whiteside was gonna be? Hell, look at John Wall.

Mahinmi's vocality impresses me more than anything. When's the last time you saw a 7 foot bench big directing people where to go on the floor?

I was really, really skeptical, and I'm not reaching any definitive conclusion based on preseason. But hot damn, Mahinmi's the Player X thunderbird always talked about.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Bring Danny off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post

In hindsight it did not work so good....

But I really like a rotation of G Hill, PG24, West, Lance, Hibbert, Granger, CJWatson, S Hill, and ... IanM, Plumlee OR whoever?

This team just needed a guy off the bench that could hit a jump shot. They never got it.

Granger could be key to a really GREAT season next year. If he can check his EGO Indiana is LOADED. If he is going to be a diva then he will be traded.

Regardless, I love the way this team is shaping up.

It's amazing how a contract as small as 3.5M has forced us to be "creative" in order to improve our roster this season. And really, Ian's contract isn't looking that good right now either, though he'll have a shot at trying to earn it next year in the playoffs. These aren't Murphy/Dunleavy level moves, but they are really hurtful on a small scale. I like to keep repeating it, but I thought last offseason was the worst, pound for pound, in recent memory.

When Bird was asked at the presser last week if he thought Donnie did a good job, his reply was something like "Yes, we made it to the ECF, didn't we"? That's a textbook example of how to be diplomatic.