Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story

Goodness, did his game ever seem out of control? Just from that short video, it was like he was on cruise control, nice and steady, every move with a purpose. What a solid command of the game and his body he seemed to have. I've never seen much footage of Roger playing, and that was beautiful. Now I need to see the whole documentary!

It kills me that there is not a lot more film of the glory days of Roger Brown and those Pacers. I'm such a visual guy, it would mean so much to me to be able to actually see for myself what they were doing back then. I've seen some video here and there, but it's just nothing like it is today where we archive everything.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did any get to see the movie last nite? How was it? Is there a DVD available yet!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Missed it
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It kills me that there is not a lot more film of the glory days of Roger Brown and those Pacers. I'm such a visual guy, it would mean so much to me to be able to actually see for myself what they were doing back then. I've seen some video here and there, but it's just nothing like it is today where we archive everything.
    I remember reading somewhere that Slick has a TON of archived footage from the Pacers ABA days...Can't recall where I heard that though....

Peck - very, very well said.

For those of us who have watched this team since the early ABA days, you have captured EXACTLY how we feel and why we will always continue to follow and support the Pacers.

its not just all Pacers players who are a family. Indeed that family includes all fans who feel as though they bleed blue and gold.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Did any get to see the movie last nite? How was it? Is there a DVD available yet!
    Yes, that was what my post from above is about.

BobbyMac I have zero doubt in my mind you will love it. It was very emotional, not just sad either, all the way through.

I feel bad for relating it so much to the Pacers because I know this is for Roger & his family and I mean absolutely no disrespect to them at all, but that is how I relate Roger Brown. I don't only consider him a Pacer I consider him THE Pacer.

I will respectfully disagree with Reggie though in one thing, I consider Roger the greatest Pacer, the first Pacer and the epitome of being a Pacer. But to me, Bobby Leonard is Mr. Pacer and I just have a feeling that the players from back in the day would probably agree.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Watched it on the DVR last night after the Raptors game.

At some point about halfway in I found myself standing up, and stood up for the rest of the program because I just couldn't go back into my chair.

Amazing, fantastic, and special. I want the DVD/BluRay when it comes out.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Watching it now.

It's awesome. Makes me wish I could have seen those Pacers ABA teams of old.
    Danger Zone

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Question.

Did the ABA Pacers ever play in Assembly Hall? One of the highlights really looks like it is being played there.
    Danger Zone

I sent an e-mail to WFYI asking when the show would be available on DVD or to other PBS stations. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Maybe it can happen quickly if there is enough demand. http://www.wfyi.org/contactUs.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Question.

Did the ABA Pacers ever play in Assembly Hall? One of the highlights really looks like it is being played there.
    They did at some point, not sure why though. But I have this card in my collection that shows AH in the background:

You know I wonder if maybe doing some pre-season games at I.U., Purdue & Ball State wouldn't help the exposure for the club. In fact I really think they should do a game where the Mad Ants play to help build the fan base up there as well.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You know I wonder if maybe doing some pre-season games at I.U., Purdue & Ball State wouldn't help the exposure for the club. In fact I really think they should do a game where the Mad Ants play to help build the fan base up there as well.
    I remembered the Pacers playing a preseason game not long ago at assembly hall, so I googled it. Found this article:

http://www.idsnews.com/news/weekend/story.aspx?id=69257

In there it says the Pacers hosted an ABA playoff game at Assembly Hall in 1972! Very cool.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    They have done that. They played at BSU while I was a student there. I think that was Fall of 2004? They went to IU a few years ago. I want to say Fall 2009 or 2008. They were at Notre Dame this preseason of course.

Yeah they played the Spurs at Assembly hall 4 or 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    They did at some point, not sure why though.
    Before Market Square was opened in '74, the Pacers played at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. The Coliseum would book a lot of other week-long events like rodeos and such, making the Pacers schedule around those. It was one of the main driving forces to build Market Square Arena.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They also played at the Mad Ants arena preseason a few years back there was a game at the Pepsi coliseum and one at the Ft Wayne coliseum as well as part of an ABA arena tour. As a matter of fact you can still buy tickets here http://www.zvents.com/fort_wayne_in/...indiana-pacers LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that Slick has a TON of archived footage from the Pacers ABA days...Can't recall where I heard that though....
    That would be Billy Keller. I had a nice conversation with him about the Pacers Greatest games dvd package and how it just included NBA games. Told him it would be great for PAcer fans and a big seller if there were ABA games available. He seems genuinely surprised when I discuss the fondness current Pacer fans have for the ABA guys considering the time that has gone by. Anyway Bill was involved for a short time when they brought back the red white and blue ball so I thought I would throw the ABA video idea out there. Said he thought not only the Pacers but everyone who was involved in the ABA would like something like that. Problem was getting things organzied and rights and such (suspect he had, had enough with the ball thing maybe before) but he knew Slick had a TON (thanks right EJ) of game film.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Got this info. yesterday. I will be making my $60 donation.

Thank you for contacting WFYI with your question. Because of copyright restrictions on much of the footage in the documentary, we are only able to offer the DVD as a thank you gift for a $60 membership contribution to WFYI. If you are interested in making the donation and receiving the DVD, please call us at 317-715-2009. We are here from 8 am until 5 pm Monday through Friday.

At this time, we are not in the process of distributing it to other stations, but it is something we'd be interested in pursuing in the future. Hopefully your local station would be interesting in picking it up!

Thanks again for contacting us - and go Pacers!

Best,

Claire Radomski
    Membership Manager

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post

Thank you for contacting WFYI with your question. Because of copyright restrictions on much of the footage in the documentary, we are only able to offer the DVD as a thank you gift for a $60 membership contribution to WFYI. If you are interested in making the donation and receiving the DVD, please call us at 317-715-2009. We are here from 8 am until 5 pm Monday through Friday.

At this time, we are not in the process of distributing it to other stations, but it is something we'd be interested in pursuing in the future. Hopefully your local station would be interesting in picking it up!

Best,

Claire Radomski
    Membership Manager
    Thanks for the info - of course, we're already members, so I'll have to find out what we can do.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Best,

Claire Radomski
    Membership Manager
    I would hope maybe WTIU in Bloomington would be a good start for someone else to broadcast this. And I believe TIU has a greater household range easily over WFYI.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

It's a little odd that they can't distribute a DVD because of copyright issues, but then they WILL send you a DVD if you make an appropriate donation to the station itself, and I'd assume that none of that donation is going to a copyright holder.

I'd think that if there's a copyright issue then there's a copyright issue, and it's not waived away by a cash payment. Just seems weird to me.

I'd love to buy the DVD for the price I'd expect to pay for a DVD of a movie (maybe $20?), and I'd be happy to give a little more to a charitable cause related to Roger or to the people making the movie, but I'm not inclined to donate extra $$$ to a TV station I cannot watch because I live over 1,000 miles away. Unless maybe the station had fronted money for the production. Do we know this or not?
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 03-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I already donated to the project once. Kind of disappointed with the bogus sounding $60 story here. Hopefully it will find its way to Youtube in the near future...

Mood

Best,

Claire Radomski
    Membership Manager

Me too, and I have my wife's permission to say that!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post: