Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: Celtics Sign Barbosa

  1. #1

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,801

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Full Story:

    Just in case it wasn’t apparent that creating roster depth was a priority of the Celtics’ offseason, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports has reported that Boston has agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent Leandro Barbosa on a one-year contract. Considering that the Celtics are well over the salary cap and have already used the mid-level exception on Jason Terry, Barbosa’s deal will be for either the veteran’s minimum or some portion of Boston’s bi-annual exception — and based on the timing of this signing, it seems safe to assume the former.



    This is an ideal situation for Barbosa, who frankly doesn’t have the game to warrant 20 minutes a night anymore. Such is an inevitability for speedy guards who fail to evolve; Barbosa leaned heavily on his quickness up until the moment it left him, and in the years since, he has become solely an inefficient jump shooter when asked to create for himself. Yet when put in a position where he can play off of others rather than force his own attempts, Barbosa is still capable of being a mildly useful offensive player.


    That makes him a pretty nice get for a fifth guard, if not quite as good as his reputation suggests. Barbosa hardly lives up to his career marks these days, and though he’s been classified as a combo guard since his early days in Phoenix, he struggles in executing even basic half-court offense. Luckily, Barbosa likely won’t be asked to do all that much ball handling in Boston with so many capable guards in the rotation ahead of him, making his weaknesses on that end slightly less glaring.




    Doc Rivers can only hope that the same is true of Barbosa’s defensive flaws. Even Kevin Garnett’s presence on the back line may not be enough to prevent Barbosa from turning into a complete defensive liability, as he proved to be with the Pacers in their second-round series against the Miami Heat.




    There will be a lot to manage if Barbosa ends up climbing the depth chart due to injuries to other rotation players, but he makes a lot of sense in a minor role with limited minutes.

  4. #3
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,555

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Wow, the Celtics are pretty deep in the back-court. I know some won't agree, but I still feel like we have the slight edge on them.

  5. #4
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,577
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Vets minimum? Damn.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Good for Barbosa and once again I'm right

  7. #6
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good for Barbosa and once again I'm right
    So you believe Barbosa waited all that time for a better offer, and that better offer was league minimum to be a teams 5th guard? If you say so. You also said he was holding out for more money because at this point in his career it's all about money, and he got the minimum.

    Nothing you said was proven true by this, but I knew it wouldn't stop you from thinking you were.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  9. #7

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    so our 1st guard off the bench from last year's playoffs = their 3rd guard off the bench this year. Their best guard is much better than our best guard. And they have Pierce/KG and a bunch of solid role players up front.
    I still like us a little better because of our youth, health and size everywhere, but have to admit they are impressive and very deep.

  10. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you believe Barbosa waited all that time for a better offer, and that better offer was league minimum to be a teams 5th guard? If you say so. You also said he was holding out for more money because at this point in his career it's all about money, and he got the minimum.

    Nothing you said was proven true by this, but I knew it wouldn't stop you from thinking you were.
    I knew I wasn't going to get an apology from you once again, but that is OK .......

  11. #9
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    I guess this means Gerald Green got more money.

  12. #10
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew I wasn't going to get an apology from you once again, but that is OK .......
    Of course you knew, this didn't prove you right in any way.

    Where were those big overseas offers you believed he had? Why didn't he sign one of those, instead of a league minimum deal where he will barely play, barring injuries? You said he had options and that's why he hadn't signed. What were the other options if this was the best one? For him, this sucks. Great for Boston though.

    You literally, make OlBlu about the Colts kind of sense right now.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so our 1st guard off the bench from last year's playoffs = their 3rd guard off the bench this year. Their best guard is much better than our best guard. And they have Pierce/KG and a bunch of solid role players up front.
    I still like us a little better because of our youth, health and size everywhere, but have to admit they are impressive and very deep.
    Our 1st guard off the bench was awful in last year's playoffs.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course you knew, this didn't prove you right in any way.

    Where were those big overseas offers you believed he had? Why didn't he sign one of those, instead of a league minimum deal where he will barely play, barring injuries? You said he had options and that's why he hadn't signed. What were the other options if this was the best one? For him, this sucks. Great for Boston though.

    You literally, make OlBlu about the Colts kind of sense right now.
    You are acting like he signed with the Bobcats or something....

  17. #13

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our 1st guard off the bench was awful in last year's playoffs.
    do you mean he's going to suck in the future, or are you just saying it for no reason? he was a pretty good player for us overall. there were all stars who stunk in the playoffs last year.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Posts
    3,532
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Boston can afford to take a chance that he might score in bunches because they can play enough defense and are sound enough offensively to make up for him in very limited court time. It proves how strong that the C's still are.

    Good for him. I am surprised he is still in the league with how ineffective he was for the Pacers this past season, let alone the playoffs.

  20. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Good for him. I am surprised he is still in the league with how ineffective he was for the Pacers this past season, let alone the playoffs.
    Yes he was ineffective in the playoffs but he was pretty good during the regular season, at times he was the only offense the Pacers had(from the bench).

  21. #16
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,577
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boston can afford to take a chance that he might score in bunches because they can play enough defense and are sound enough offensively to make up for him in very limited court time. It proves how strong that the C's still are.

    Good for him. I am surprised he is still in the league with how ineffective he was for the Pacers this past season, let alone the playoffs.
    Not to mention how bad he was in the Olympics, according to "experts" like Hollinger.

  22. #17
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,844

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Barbosa was useful during the regular season and a detriment during the playoffs. He is too old to change and I'm glad he's green now. This just shows the Pacers are moving on up and the Celtics are being put out to pasture. I think we beat them this year.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,444

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes he was ineffective in the playoffs but he was pretty good during the regular season, at times he was the only offense the Pacers had(from the bench).
    He pretty much beat the Clippers in his first game here because they had no answer for his instant offense off of the bench.

    He was hit & miss the rest of the season (more hit than miss I would say) but I can't deny by the time we played the Heat I was hoping he would be on the inactive list.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  25. #19
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are acting like he signed with the Bobcats or something....
    That would be better for him, he'd get to play.

    Shouldn't play much, and will make minimum. If you were right and he had options, I would hate to see how bad those other options were if this was the best he could do.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  27. #20
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,185

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    The guys game is based off speed. He's obviously lost a step or two. Glad the Celts signed him, but I'm happier that the Pacers did not.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  28. #21
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Haha Wells is on the radio talking about how every team in the NBA saw that Barbosa couldn't take Mike Miller off the dribble in the playoffs except the Celtics. And that's why he didn't get signed until now.

    I'm guessing he doesn't think he had options.

  29. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Wells next "inside info" will be his first one.......

  30. #23
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    It's a good thing inside info isn't required to come to common sense conclusions.

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good thing inside info isn't required to come to common sense conclusions.
    So common sense that he ended up signing with the Celtics :

  33. #25
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,905

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics Sign Barbosa

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So common sense that he ended up signing with the Celtics :
    I think the conclusion he was trying to make was that Barbosa had to wait until the C's cut two summer league rookies before he could make their roster. One would think that if he had other options, including overseas, that he would take those options in a heartbeat. Instead he had to wait it out and it took until 2 weeks prior to the start of the season before he could get onto a roster-- where he will hardly play when fully healthy.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Source: Celtics make room for guard Barbosa [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
  3. Does Barbosa re-sign with us?
    By BringJackBack in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
  4. Celtics Sign Marbury
    By pizza guy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM
  5. Celtics sign Googz
    By tora tora in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •