Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well so much for Roy going back to the all-star game, NBA doing away with the center spot...

Default Well so much for Roy going back to the all-star game, NBA doing away with the center spot...

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/a...lot/index.html

NBA to change All-Star ballot, eliminating center
    By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
    Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:23 PM - Updated Oct 23, 2012 11:31 PM

The NBA is finally doing something about the Duncan Dilemma.

The league will announce Wednesday a change to its All-Star ballot that will, for the first time, allow fans to vote for three undefined "frontcourt" players instead of having to vote for two forwards and a center. With more and more teams playing smaller than in the past, the definition of "center" was becoming increasingly difficult -- not to mention finding enough quality big men for whom to vote.

For years, for example, the Spurs have listed Tim Duncan as a power forward, even though everyone on earth knew he was their starting center. And so when it came to All-Star balloting, Duncan would take up a forward spot in a very crowded field of Western Conference stars instead of his logical spot in the middle. This was good for Duncan, who surely would have made his 13 All-Star teams anyway, but it often cost another forward a shot.

The league decided to make the change after the NBA's Competition Committee agreed to the move at its meeting last month, VP of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson said Tuesday evening.

"It makes sense," Jackson said. "It made sense to our Competition Committee. Having a center is the only specific position that was singled out on the ballot. It just seemed a little outdated and didn't represent the way our game has evolved. By the same token, it also affords the same opportunity, if you have two good centers in a given year, pick 'em both. They both can be selected. Which is impossible right now."

That would be good news for players like Boston's Kevin Garnett and Miami's Chris Bosh, nominal forwards who are now playing center for their respective teams. Under the old rules, Garnett and Bosh would have been in the center category with the likes of Philadelphia's Andrew Bynum, Atlanta's Al Horford and Indiana's Roy Hibbert. Now, any of them can be selected as a "frontcourt" player.

"It was something that we originally thought made some sense, but we didn't want to make a decision in a vacuum, of course," Jackson said. "We ran it by the Competition Committee and they thought the idea made some sense ... it gives the fans some flexibility while keeping competitive balance."

The league will debut the 2013 All-Star ballot on Nov. 13. Players are selected for the ballot by a committee of national media who cover the NBA on a regular basis. The 2013 All-Star Game will be Feb. 17 at the Toyota Center in Houston.

God I hate how the league has "evolved". I long for the days when true big men roamed the paint, oh wait no I don't we have one & now possibly two right here.

So suck it NBA, you may keep us out of the all-star game but I have a feeling our team will be p!ssing in the corn flakes of many of your fans teams.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Well so much for Roy going back to the all-star game, NBA doing away with the center spot...

Can't wait for the day when there are just 10 Chinese players starting regardless of skill. Gotta make the fans happy!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Well so much for Roy going back to the all-star game, NBA doing away with the center spot...

I think he still has a good chance for a coaches/players or whatever selection if he has a first half similar to last year. I doubt he would have been voted in by fans anyway.

Mood

This is only for fanvoting, something the Pacers had no chance to winning anyhow. Coaches didn't only vote Roy in because he was a Center last season, they voted him in because he was seen as the Pacers most important player.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

I'm all for it. Love Roy to death, but not like he'd ever start one anyway. Now it keeps an undeserving guy from starting. Now get rid of online voting and we got somethin.

Roy's got just as good a chance as before. We're a top 3 seed or whatever come All Star break SOMEBODY's going.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I think Roy could have started if Bynum were hurt or so. Now no chance.

[QUOTE=

God I hate how the league has "evolved". I long for the days when true big men roamed the paint, oh wait no I don't we have one & now possibly two right here.

So suck it NBA, you may keep us out of the all-star game but I have a feeling our team will be p!ssing in the corn flakes of many of your fans teams.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this. The game has not evolved, the lack of centers in the league has devolved the game. To me the most dominate team is one with a true pg, 2 wings players, a real power forward, and a real center. Not every team had that even in the 90's but most teams did and it was better game to watch.
    Why not just leave the voting open to any 5 players. Then we could watch 5 wing players start.

I'm ok with this. I think it could increase Roy's chances especially if the fans vote 3 forwards onto the starting team. Then Roy just has to be one of the top 2 most deserving centers. It's likely that the NBA would pick 2 centers as backups if no center is voted into the starting lineup.

so they are leaving the backup center spot unchanged? that wouldn't make much sense, imo.
    If it's backcourt/frontcourt now, apply it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is only for fanvoting, something the Pacers had no chance to winning anyhow. Coaches didn't only vote Roy in because he was a Center last season, they voted him in because he was seen as the Pacers most important player.
    btw, was Hibbert selected as a wild card or as a backup center last year?

I hate it, I'm always a traditionalist on things like this, now get off my lawn.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is absurd.

The whining I mean, not the decision by the NBA.

If Roy is one of the top frontcourt players remaining after the starters get voted in, he will get a spot. If not, he won't.

If you're THAT concerned that this will take a possible all-star spot away from Roy, then guess what? He didn't deserve it to begin with.

If this rule were put into place between 1981 and 1996, nobody would care. I doubt it would have changed a single roster spot on either team. Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Malone, Kareem, Parish, Daugherty, Olajuwon etc. would all still have made their yearly appearances.

The NBA is not forbidding centers from getting in. They're just tired of under-performing centers getting spots over much more productive power forwards because of designated positions.

Now, just take some power away from the fans, and it'll be a damn near perfect process.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-24-2012 at 06:30 AM.

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This is absurd.

If Roy is one of the top frontcourt players remaining after the starters get voted in, he will get a spot. If not, he won't.

If you're THAT concerned that this will take a possible all-star spot away from Roy, then guess what? He didn't deserve it to begin with.

If this rule were put into place between 1981 and 1996, nobody would care. I doubt it would have changed a single roster spot on either team. Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Malone, Kareem, Parish, Daugherty, Olajuwon etc. would all still have made their yearly appearances.

The NBA is not forbidding centers from getting in. They're just tired of under-performing centers getting spots over much more productive power forwards because of designated positions.

Now, just take some power away from the fans, and it'll be a damn near perfect process.
    Word up.

If Hibbert was a 6'10" power forward, would we be having these discussions?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

seems like a good decision.

So why not just do away with positions entirely? I mean what is Lebron truly? He plays all 5 positions in pretty much every game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now if only they'll fix that annoying thing about fans picking the starters without any input from anyone else.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I still think he and Paul George will make it this year
    Smothered Chicken!

I think it's Granger time. He was hurt by slow start last year. And the selection system wasn't as favorable to him.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

So why even have postiions at all - just vote for the top 5 players? They could all be guards...
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

No big deal, I don't think Roy was going to be an all star again anyway.

They're just tired of under-performing centers getting spots over much more productive power forwards because of designated positions.
    Exactly.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Meh. I've made it clear that we couldn't get a Pacer voted into the starting lineup even if the league changed the rules to say only players on teams whose names start with "P" could be voted in. NY would just change it's spelling to "Pnicks" and boom.

Play well, get a coaches' nod. I don't understand how an "honor" that can go to someone who hasn't set foot on the court all season can beat out being selected by the people who know how you play.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Meh. I've made it clear that we couldn't get a Pacer voted into the starting lineup even if the league changed the rules to say only players on teams whose names start with "P" could be voted in. NY would just change it's spelling to "Pnicks" and boom.
    Reggie was a starter in the 1995 All Star game. JO was a starter in the 2004 game.

You have to be a super elite player to be voted a starter in the AS game, and we typically have not had that player.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Reggie was a starter in the 1995 All Star game. JO was a starter in the 2004 game.

You have to be a super elite player to be voted a starter in the AS game, and we typically have not had that player.
    Voting was WAY different in the 90s, and even in 2004 it wasn't as hype focused as today.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Preach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This is absurd.

Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KStat

And as others alluded to, this actually HELPS ROY because now you can't as easily accidentally get an "underserving" player on in place of a star, which then puts the star into the bench mix and pushes out another quality bench player (ie, Roy).

If the fans get a set of starting 5 that the coaches wanted anyway, then it means the coaches don't have to make up a pick or two with the bench selections.

If Roy is kicking butt then he's making the team he deserves, just like last year.

The only concern I have is what Trader Joe mentions, fans could put together a team that's pretty unbalanced and kind of stupid to see play. Lebron WILL have to play center if you have Melo, Lebron and Pierce, paired with Wade and DWill. I mean KG is 100% NOT getting more votes than Lebron or NYC Melo, and if Pierce is putting up better numbers are Boston fans not going to vote for him more if it's an either/or thing? Maybe Josh Smith could out vote Pierce? Amare? A magically non-suck Bynum-in-Philly situation?

Of course this roster could be facing Howard, Duncan, Durant, Kobe, Nash/Paul. Good luck on rebounds or points in the paint.

Then again, the game is a comical farce of basketball so WTF do I care.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Meh. As long as fans can vote as often as they want, they whole thing is a joke. I'm surprised no one has written a program to automatically stuff the ballot box to give Travis Deiner that starting AS role that has eluded him all these years.