Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

  1. #1
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    WOW...
    @WojYahooNBA

    Y! Sources: Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Love broke his right hand in a workout on Wednesday. http://tinyurl.com/c88ax2d
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand


    Kevin Love will miss four to six weeks with a broken right hand, according to sources.

    The Minnesota Timberwolves were already preparing to begin the season without Ricky Rubio.

    Love is in the first season of a four-year, $60 million contract extension with the Wolves.

    The Wolves announced that Love is expected to miss six to eight weeks.

    Love broke his hand before Wednesday morning's practice.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz29agwHAA5
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. #3

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Sad. I hope this has no long term impact.

    Rubio is missing the start of the season too, right?

    Well, this gives them a chance to see what they got with Derrick Williams. I like him a lot, I'll be watching. I wish Rubio was fine, he had great chemistry with Williams.

  4. #4
    #SeePGFly KingGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    22
    Posts
    911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    This is bad news for the Wolves. Maybe Derrick Williams will finally get his chance to prove himself.

  5. #5
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,004

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    This post was going to happen sooner or later.....should've taken those tough pills.

  6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,576
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    ESPN has changed the report to say 6-8 weeks now. With Rubio already missing the first six weeks, they'll be lucky to have any kind of playoff hopes now. Have your top 2 players miss 20ish games...ouch. Wonder if he broke it complaining about a call he didn't get in practice?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member Indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    410

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ESPN has changed the report to say 6-8 weeks now. With Rubio already missing the first six weeks, they'll be lucky to have any kind of playoff hopes now. Have your top 2 players miss 20ish games...ouch. Wonder if he broke it complaining about a call he didn't get in practice?
    Says he broke it during a workout before practice. That to me sounds like a weight lifting incident. If so, that could be nasty. I never want to see anyone get hurt, even if it's someone I dislike as much as Kevin Love.

  10. #8
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    27
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Timberwolves people are calling it at closer to 8 weeks, and it's on his shooting hand....not good at all. I'd watch out for Kirilenko to have a bigger impact now, more so than Derrick Williams.

    Not good for those who took him in fantasy basketball, too: one of my friends found out about it right after picking him 3rd overall, tough break.

  11. #9
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,223
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    As much as I dislike Love, this sucks for him. There only has been one person I wanted to see hurt ever. He plays for a rival high school's soccer team, New Palestine. I go to Greenfield. A kid from the third HS in Hancock county, Mt. Vernon had to leave the soccer team because he got cancer. Our team wore shirts (similar to the Chuckstrong shirts) pre game vs NP and the NP kid made a remark saying "he deserved it" and "I hope he dies" because "he's a dirty player" to one of our players. Needless to say that got out and he got booed by everyone, and this was the first time I was ever happy to see someone tear their ACL. I hope Love is back in enough time to get upset at the Pacers for taking too many tough pills.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  12. #10

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Says he broke it during a workout before practice. That to me sounds like a weight lifting incident. If so, that could be nasty. I never want to see anyone get hurt, even if it's someone I dislike as much as Kevin Love.
    he smacked his hand at someone's elbow while going for a rebound during scrimmage and broke two of those little hand bones (metacarpals). It shouldn't be too bad, but i'd worry about his shooting form this season.

  13. #11
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,499

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    I've always liked Love as a player, I didn't really like some of the comments and things he did last year. Still sucks because the Wolves are a team that intrigues me.
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 10-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  14. #12
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,797

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he smacked his hand at someone's elbow while going for a rebound during scrimmage and broke two of those little hand bones (metacarpals). It shouldn't be too bad, but i'd worry about his shooting form this season.
    Most likely he was going to grab that elbow and hold his man down so he can get the rebound. Thats his patented move that the refs have just decided to ignore. How else do you think a guy 6-9 with limited athletic ability can grab 20 rebs a game on a regular basis.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  15. #13

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most likely he was going to grab that elbow and hold his man down so he can get the rebound. Thats his patented move that the refs have just decided to ignore. How else do you think a guy 6-9 with limited athletic ability can grab 20 rebs a game on a regular basis.
    haha. he's definitely physical and 'sticky'. But can't argue with results. and his IQ as far as boards are concerned is phenomenal.

  16. #14

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Kevin Love's Wolves' winning percentage: .263 (82-230).

    The local Chippewa Indians call him Big Stats Little Wins.

  17. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This post was going to happen sooner or later.....should've taken those tough pills.
    This is what happens when I don't get online until late at night.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #16
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Love's Wolves' winning percentage: .263 (82-230).

    The local Chippewa Indians call him Big Stats Little Wins.

    Yeah, he's had some fantastic teammates during that time. Great coaching. And a top-notch front office that didn't suck until this year. What a
    loser.



    Oh wait, the opposite of all of that.

  19. #17

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, he's had some fantastic teammates during that time. Great coaching. And a top-notch front office that didn't suck until this year. What a
    loser.



    Oh wait, the opposite of all of that.
    He had the luxury of playing next to All-Star-caliber 20-and-10 center Al Jefferson his first two seasons. It mattered not; he still lost games in droves. It's not that Love hasn't helped make the Wolves a good team. That's understandable. It's that he's not raised them above the level of bad, usually horrifically so.

    At some point, people need to hold him to the same standards that they once held Zach Randolph and Al Jefferson to, and still hold guys like David Lee to.

  20. #18

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He had the luxury of playing next to All-Star-caliber 20-and-10 center Al Jefferson his first two seasons. It mattered not; he still lost games in droves. It's not that Love hasn't helped make the Wolves a good team. That's understandable. It's that he's not raised them above the level of bad, usually horrifically so.

    At some point, people need to hold him to the same standards that they once held Zach Randolph and Al Jefferson to, and still hold guys like David Lee to.
    sigh.
    One, Love was improving... There's a reason why he won the most improved player award. He added a lot to his game and changed his body a lot since he came into the league. He's not the first great player to take time. The Pacers had a few of those two.
    Two, Al Jefferson was there for Love's first two years and played on a bum knee.
    Three, all those other three guys did deserve the criticism. ZBO's criticism stopped when he changed as a player. Al Jefferson and Lee are free to do the same, I'm sure the criticism will stop.

  21. #19

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sigh.
    One, Love was improving... There's a reason why he won the most improved player award. He added a lot to his game and changed his body a lot since he came into the league. He's not the first great player to take time. The Pacers had a few of those two.
    Yet, even with his improvement, his teams remain lousy. In fact, Minnesota's 24 wins during Love's underwhelming rookie season were seven more than the whopping 17 wins he brought them during his breakout season, 2010-2011. There's no correlation between Love's production and his teams winning. Hmm... sounds like empty stats to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two, Al Jefferson was there for Love's first two years and played on a bum knee.
    Yes, I mentioned that Al Jefferson was in Minnesota for Love's first two seasons. In those seasons, even while sometimes playing hurt (he missed 38 of the 164 total games), Jefferson still managed to put up 20 & 10. Not exactly chopped liver.

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Three, all those other three guys did deserve the criticism.
    Then so, too, does Kevin Love. Thank you for demonstrating my point the hypocrisy surrounding Kevin Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ZBO's criticism stopped when he changed as a player.
    Sure, he changed as a player. He stopped being a player who put up big numbers on bad teams, and started being a player who put up big numbers on winning teams. Kevin Love's yet to do that, yet doesn't get anywhere near the flack Randolph once did.

    This very forum was full of people who are strongly against singing Zach Randolph, largely on the basis that he "wasn't a winner." I've not seen a single one of those people levy the same charge against Love.


    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Al Jefferson and Lee are free to do the same, I'm sure the criticism will stop.
    Al Jefferson's coming off a season in which he was the leading scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker on a solid playoff team. Anyone who feels he warrants criticism, yet sighs at those who question Kevin Love's true impact (beyond his bloated numbers), is not being a serious thinker. You, good sir, have once again exposed your immense hypocrisy.

  22. #20

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... is not being a serious thinker. You, good sir, have once again exposed your immense hypocrisy.
    'serious thinkers' don't criticize Al Jefferson, Lee and old ZBO for espn-type "winner / not winner, and i don't care what's going on in actual games" logic you applied there, they are criticized because of how they play.

    Al Jefferson does not like to box out. Which is one of the reasons why 'Sota went from 19th to 7th best rebounding team once he was traded. And Utah went from 4th to 23rd once they got him. Good individual rebounding stats look good for casual fans. But give me a fundamentally sound big man any time over a stat whore who will leave the opposing center open under the basket instead of boxing him out.
    Not to mention, his effort on D very limited, and he's a Melo-type ball hog who has a solid ability to pass but often wastes most of the shot clock before he does it - and sometimes never passes at all despite being double teamed.

    Lee is possibly the worst defender among PFs in the league.

    And ZBO was criticized because he didn't hustle, didn't defend and took a ton of bad shots. When he came to Memphis, he improved in all of those areas. His shot selection is much better. He scores a ton of hustle points on offensive boards. And he's very tough defensively, he works more often than not and overall he's an above average defender. Which is why he's loved and respected right now.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:


  24. #21

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    For the record: I don't have a problem with Kevin Love beyond thinking he's whiny, annoying, and cheap. He's a very good player, and yeah, I'd take him on the Pacers. I do, however, think that his production is a bit bloated, which, when combined with his sub-par defense, lessens his actual impact. My real issue is with the hypocrisy of people when it comes to criticizing Love versus criticizing certain other players.

  25. #22

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    He's actually a solid defender right now. That's another reason why your 4 years / x wins logic is so flawed. Love took major steps year to year, every year. Last year, his defense was the major improvement. He'll likely never be a stopper because of his physical limitations, but he's not a liability either.
    Players have to be criticized based on their strengths and weaknesses in actual games. Nobody can carry multiple Smush Parkers, Ricky Davis's or Wesley Johnsons in their starting lineups and still be decent.

  26. #23
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    In the first pre-season home game vs the Pacers (which I realize he only played a half of) I made it a point to watch him exclusively for several plays & had my son tell me what occured with the rest of the play because I just kept being baffled as to how the guy gets his rebounds.

    1. Let me say this, he is very good at recognizing where the ball is going to go & that is huge.
    2. He does a decent job of boxing out, he's not the best at it but he is very very good.
    3. He does leave his defensive assignment early to get into rebounding position. Now I'm not a fan of that myself but that may very well be what the Wolves want him to do.

    I'm not calling him Troy Murphy but I think people tend to forget that on occasion Troy would put up a 20/20 game as well and got rebounding numbers that were out of this world.

    Kevin Love is nowhere near the saloon door on defense that Troy was (btw is he even in the league anymore) but there are some similarities between the two.

    But don't just focus on my 3rd point, he certainly does 1 & 2 both very well.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  27. #24

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    in typical games, Love gets nearly half his minutes at 5, where he gets to battle Mahinmi types near the hoop, and where defense/boxing out/rebounding go hand in hand. As opposed to playing exclusively with Pekovic like he did in both of the Pacers games and covering mid range shooters.
    Stretch 4s, small ball, 3s pretending to be 4s, those are his biggest weaknesses as a defender, and I'm not sure it will ever change, although he doesn't get killed either. But anytime strength and hustle is necessary, he'll be near elite. If he was able to block shots too, he'd be a great defensive center.

  28. #25
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    27
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: K.Love out 6 wks, broken hand

    Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda

    Love broke his hand doing knuckle push-ups with personal trainer Rob McClanaghan. No surgery will be needed

Similar Threads

  1. Wolves' Love out 6-8 weeks with broken hand [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
  2. Nets F Outlaw has broken right hand (AP) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM
  3. Christian Watford out indefinitely with a broken hand
    By MagicRat in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM
  4. Report: Snyder out 10-12 weeks with broken hand (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
  5. Reggie has a broken hand......
    By MagicRat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •