Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/16 - Preseason vs. Atlanta (Highlights/Discussion)

Mood

Sports Logo

Default 10/16 - Preseason vs. Atlanta (Highlights/Discussion)

Plumlee delivers the FACIAL!

Paul George puts down the alley-oop from DJ Augustin!

Jeff Pendergraph alley-oops to Gerald Green for the skywalking jam!

Roy Hibbert lobs it to Paul George for the one-handed dunk!

This was a great game, in my opinion! I got to go with my dad to our first Pacers game together since (probably) 2009 or so. And since we sat with Area 55 for the last three quarters, we had a BLAST! It was awesome seeing everyone, as per usual, and I'm really glad my dad enjoyed himself.

On that note, he said he was very impressed with Green, Augustin, and Plumlee. I would say the same as well, but Paul really showed out tonight (20 points, 8 boards, 4 assists), despite going 4/20 (or something) from the field. Hibbert had a sweet double-double (18 and 12 if I'm not mistaken). I was impressed with the game. There are definitely some things about the team in general that need to be polished (better passing, less fumbling with the ball, etc.). However, I have a feeling that, as the Pacers continue to play against NBA talent instead of each other in practice, they'll get more acclimated to making back-door cuts, lobbing properly, making good passes, etc.

However, I was incredibly impressed with several of Augustin's passes. Spot-on, decent bounces, and made two great lobs to Paul George. However, Paul fumbled the second lob, which otherwise would have been an incredible tomahawk dunk.

I'm really excited for this season, and I'm psyched that I've gotten to party with Area 55 for both home preseason games thus far!
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: 10/16 - Preseason vs. Atlanta (Highlights/Discussion)

Also, let the record state that I believe Miles Plumlee will be this year's Josh McRoberts; heavily favored by the casual fans, who just pray to see (at least) one nasty McJam per game. I hope he starts fitting into his shoes better, because I see some good things in him, and he can definitely end up being "that guy" for us. He needs a nickname, and I don't think Dumblee/Dunklee/McPlum is going to cut it...

What about Frequent Flyer Miles??

Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Whens the last time the pacers have had this many oops/dunks/highlight plays in the first 3 preseason games?
    Last edited by rock747; 10-16-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Whens the last time the pacers have had this many oops/dunks/highlight plays in the first 3 preseason games?
    True! That big posterizer by Green in the first game in Fargo, Green's inbounds alley-oop in the second game, and then these four. We would've had two more tonight if Paul had landed an in-bounds alley-oop with one second on the shotclock, and that fast-break alley-oop.

Also, if you count the multiple blocks as highlights, we would almost dominate NBATV's Top 10, if they did one tonight.

I like MP3

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to opiejsimpson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about the Miles High Club?
    Last edited by D0NT SH0OT ME; 10-17-2012 at 12:47 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Mile Plumlee's nickname is The Big Dapper. I'm going to make this a thing. Look at him.

Anyway, I've always been a proponent of "2 points is 2 points," and remain so, but the stuff Green can do is otherworldly. We signed him because he's a good player, but I really do think his acrobatics played at least a smidgen into it. Young fans like that stuff and we need a new generation of fans.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Ya, those highlight were awesome.

I like PlumJam.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love that PG is finding ways to put up points even when his shot isn't falling, that's what separates OK scorers from good/great scorers in the NBA, and is a product of PG's aggressiveness. He's basically been going 1 on 5 by design and has been pumping up his usage, but if he can draw fouls at a good rate, while picking his spots a bit more due to the other starters being on the floor than he's going to be much more useful offensively, and will be an even better complement to Granger on that end.

Hibbert looked fantastic tonight too, he missed a few shots at the end, but he dominated the 3rd quarter, at one point he was 14-10-6 on 5/9 in 25 minutes. He showed off some beautiful post moves too, as well as some nifty passing. It's nice that it was against Zaza too, because he's big, and used to give Roy some problems. I wonder if Roy can be the 2nd best shotblocker in the NBA next year, he was 2.2 pasb and 3.1 in the playoffs.

Nice to see Augustin's shot fall he's a luxury off the bench, and Green continues to impress me greatly, he has the potential to be in the conversation for 6th man if Harden ends up starting somewhere.

West looked mighty nice in the first quarter, he's a load in the paint on offense for sure, he looked spry too, he's in for a bounceback year he won't score as much on this team as NO, but he's still a hell of a player to have in your corner.

I can't wait for the regular season, the bench and PG's aggressiveness has me at maximum optimism, which I guess is what pre-season is for! I feel good about us winning more than we were on pace for last year barring injury. Preseason outcomes don't matter, but alot of the guys "look" good, and the bench guys have demonstrated some serious skills, and hopefully Paul maintains his focus and remains aggressive even when the other starters take the floor.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I'm getting pumped for the season to start!

Waking up at 02:30 AM in the weekends (and once during the week) to watch a game sure is a lot better when the team is doing good... I remember being quite grumpy during the JOB years and actually watching less and less games until he was fired and Vogel took over this team has been on a roll and I L-O-V-E it
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Miles " Bluish Hue " Plumlee

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    I don't remember seeing 3 Pacers oops in the same game all of last year. Are we practicing those? Guys must be working on it.... three different guys threw those.

Also, that Plum Jam was a better finishing move at the rim than anything I've seen yet from Tyler.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

How about the free throw shooting last night? That to me was the most impressive stat of the whole game. The team was something like 24-25. If they can get to the line that much, and hit that many that adds a whole new dimension to your game. The other team can't bail out by fouling quite so much if they know your team knocks down free throws.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Biggest Pacer Fan PacersForever's Avatar

I really liked that play with Hibbert alley-oping it to George.

I think they can use that in games a lot !

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersForever For This Useful Post:

Love the alley's. These guys are going to make it a highlight season.

Let's hit those jumpers too though!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Loved the oops last night, but what I was really excited to see was Big Roy's expanding arsenal of post moves.

One in particular that stood out last night was backing his man down along the base line, faking right, spinning left into a sweet baby hook. Lightning fast, spot on with a soft touch on the finish. Stuff like that is going to be unstoppable.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brinocerous For This Useful Post:

I don't see any reason Hibby and Mahinmi can't play next to each other at times for a smothering front court on D. Hibby is moving very well laterally. Totally dominated the paint last night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't see any reason Hibby and Mahinmi can't play next to each other at times for a smothering front court on D. Hibby is moving very well laterally. Totally dominated the paint last night.
    I was just going to ask about this. In the highlight clips on NBA.com it looks like Roy is moving differently, and in a good way. Running up and down the court looks a lot more fluid, even with his post moves. They weren't jerky/stiff movements like they've been in the past.

That's something I really didn't expect to see.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Man, wish I could have watched this game... This season is gonna be full of highlights and I really like the group of guys we have. When they get that chemistry down pat it'll be something to see.

On a side note, does anybody know what happened that caused Ivan Johnson to get a tech? I remember hearing it during the radio broadcast, but didn't know exactly what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    On a side note, does anybody know what happened that caused Ivan Johnson to get a tech? I remember hearing it during the radio broadcast, but didn't know exactly what he did.
    He got T'ed up because Ivan Johnson is ****ing Artest-level crazy. That and he yelled at a ref.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Man, wish I could have watched this game... This season is gonna be full of highlights and I really like the group of guys we have. When they get that chemistry down pat it'll be something to see.

Johnson was nicked by a Hibbert elbow as Roy turned to make a shot. He thought it was on purpose and started getting all macho/tough about it. The ref T'ed him up for over reacting. and almost tossed him for acting up after. He ran to the Hawks bench and was yapping about the call. Tony Brown started to toss him, but changed his mind at the last minute. Johnson is one of those guys that always plays mad and it cost him the T.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Plumlee Nickname! The Plummer!

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Johnson is one of those guys that always plays mad and it cost him the T.
    It's because he's ****ing crazy. I mean come on, how many players can say they've been banned from South Korean basketball?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Also, let the record state that I believe Miles Plumlee will be this year's Josh McRoberts; heavily favored by the casual fans, who just pray to see (at least) one nasty McJam per game. I hope he starts fitting into his shoes better, because I see some good things in him, and he can definitely end up being "that guy" for us. He needs a nickname, and I don't think Dumblee/Dunklee/McPlum is going to cut it...

What about Frequent Flyer Miles??
    How about "Miles to go"? Well it's true....

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Outside of some general preseason sloppiness I think everyone played pretty solidly.