Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long distance Pacer fans

Sports Logo

Default Re: Long distance Pacer fans

You are easier to read than most of JO7's posts anyway.

Trace

Originally from Indiana...(well kind of...I moved there in 1970 when I was 3 and lived there until I was 27 ) Went to a few games over the years, but didn't get really interested until about '94, so I guess I'm kind of a bandwagon guy compared to some of the guys going back into the ABA days or even 80's.

Left Indiana in '96 for Colorado...currently living in Iowa. Still following the Pacers.

Pacers_Brazil

ahuahauha thanks Mourning and Ragnar...i will try to post more here

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers_Brazil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ahuahauha thanks Mourning and Ragnar...i will try to post more here

boa vinda para nosso grupo

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I'm sure this has been asked before. But I'm old . . . and I forgot . . . . so kill me. What made all of you out-of-staters fans of the Pacers?
    I'm almost 21 been a Pacer fan since I was about 9....it started with Reggie Miller....I am not sure exactly sure when it was but prob. in the 92 playoffs but i became more hardcore a season later I think....but it was Reggie's clutch shooting trash talking antics which made me as a youngster love the Pacers and most importantly love Reggie. I am out in California, and since then, I have remained loyal to the Pacers and Reggie and I became a fan all by myself...no one else introduced me.

When I was young I took a lot of heat for the Pacers...but I never regret it...I am thankful for everything he has done and I look forward to next season when Pacers will have a legitimate chance of winning a title....and I hope somehow Reggie returns after the Allstar break next year once we are on our way to a title.

Quote Originally Posted by sarc
    I'm a fan from Eastern Europe, Baltic States - Latvia.

One reason - Reggie Miller. Two episodes - the 8 points in 8 seconds against Knicks in playofs and a highlight from one game where Reggie bowed with some 1x seconds left after making a three,(then the other team also made a three, the player bowed just like Reggie and they won it, but that doesn't matter much).

Never seen any complete game but I count myself as a fan and I want to get as much info as possible.

You a fan of Guntars (Guncha) Vetra?

If you're a hoops fan in Latvia, I am wondering if you know him or have met him. Thanks.

pacerau91

Am 21 & from Australia, but have relatives in Indianapolis... So when my cousins sent me over a Reggie Miller singlet and signed cards of Reggie when I was 10 I was automatically hooked!
    Have to follow them mainly through the internet so love reading comments from fans who actually get to watch the games on sites like this, do however every now and again get to watch them whenever they are on ESPN as they are the only games we get to see down under. (Get to watch LA @ Indy this week... can't wait!)
    Will be in the US this December to meet my family and will have my first oppurtunity to see the Pacers play at the Fieldhouse, whilst I know its unlikely I wish for Reggie to play one more year just so I can say I have seen him, all the same I can't hardly wait to get to watch the guys (especially Ron) play in what will hopefully be their championship season!

3ptmiller

Its all about reggie... all about Reggie my friends.. My history is KINDA FUNNY.. it goes way back in 1989 when i started to play basketball at the age of 8, my brother who was a basketball player loved Reggie miller aswell and kindoff studied his skills and taught me Reggie playing style, the only reason he loved him is because of his deadly Shooting, he gave me a Reggie jersey and since then ive been stuck to Reggies playing style and the funny thing is that I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE SEEN REGGIE PLAY OR ANY NBA GAME AT ALL! When i saw the first game 1992-94 (by then i was 12 years old)... it was the game against Knicks and reggie scored 25 points in 1st quarter, then i saw the game when he scored 8 points in 8 seconds... i was stunned, and since then i was a Die hard reggie and Pacer fan and followed all their games (thx to internet and CNN ).. Today im playin Pro basketball here in Sweden and i have copied his style, shooting like him, talking trash like him, making clutch shots like him! everything its all because of reggie i guess!

ReggieMiller8325

Well I have been a Pacer fan since i was 10 only because of Reggie Miller its a weird reason how figured out about him because 4 years ago i didn't even care about basketball.I was playing my video game NBA 2K and i used the pacers because i like them then i saw Miller there he was a good player had a nice three and all then i found a reggie miller card in my bros cards of basketball fottball and basebal cards there.I was amazed of what he did my other bro told me about him and i got into basketball and started reading his books and jordans books too Reggie inspired me to play basketball.Right now I'm really good but play different from Miller i shoot alot but don't exactly play like Reggie.I'm from Miami Florida and grew up in the hood but only for 2 years until we moved out of there.I started Watching the pacers play in the 2003-2004 season but figured out about them 3 years ago.I just wish i can see Miller in his prime years thogugh every single game thats why I'm such a big Miller fan and Reggie made me love the pacers too thank you Reggie Miller.

i went to college in Richmond, Indiana. While there Byron Scott hit the shot to beat Orlando. I have been addicted to the Pacers ever since. It's a lot like love. A lot of heartache and you never feel in control, but still worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Well I was four years old, and I sat down to watch an NBA game, because I live in small town Illionis, and basketball is life. So, I sit there and there is Reggie Miller just being Reggie, I have been a fan since then. It's so weird that Reggie is gone, because no I have to admit I'm not really that little kid anymore.

What's even stranger is that a week after I saw my first game, I got this little Picture of Reggie at a Rodeo from a game booth and the guy working it told me to watch this guy because he was somethin else, I will never forget that.

I live in Arizona now, but I lived in Mishawaka, Indiana until I was ten or so. Funny thing is, I wasnt a Pacers fan when I lived there, I guess that was because I was young and stupid, and maybe because I never liked chearing for the same team as everyone else. But as soon as I moved to AZ I became a Pacers fan. Ive pretty much broken off all of my connections with family in Indiana during the 10 years Ive lived in AZ, so I guess the Pacers are the one thing that ties me to my "old life".

Just thought I would give some info on myself since I am relatively new here. Ive actually lurked on these forums since the beginning of last season and I only registered last Nov because it became mandatory to view the forums. I just started posting recently because for the most part what I thought was usually posted by someone else (usually UB), but you guys have been slacking off lately

3ptmiller

I used to love Michael Jordan, he was a GOD i thought and he was the Greatest baller of all time i thought... i was playing basketball and was studying his game (couldnt learn anything!! i was only thinking to be succesfull u have to Dunk over people?) But then something happend what made me change my mind...

Year 1992 Pacers vs Charlotte Hornets...

57 pts
    16 of 29 FG`s
    7 of 8 3PT`s
    21 of 23 FT`s
    40 mins
    3 steals
    1 block
    5 rebounds
    5 assists
    0 turnovers

Still have that on Video tape and watching it almost everyday..

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE?

reggie31mate

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers_Brazil
    Hello there, I'm from Brazil...I always read every topic and come every day here, but I don' like to post because my english is not so good =/
    Same here! I'm from Hungary, I'm 22, and I'm a Pacers addict for about...I don't know..6-7 years.. I'm a regular lurker, I do not post, because I don't trust my english enough yet..(And because I work in 3 shifts, and when I work at night, I usually don't even trust my hungarian.. ) I just like to come here and find out what the other fans, and Indiana residents think about the team. I also visit the Indystar forums quite frequently, but I couldn't even register there yet, though only tried once with my old hungarian e-mail address... I just don't want to get into an argument, because though I can make a good case for myself in my native tounge, I would propably lose in an english "fight of words" because of the shortage of my vocabulary.

[/QUOTE]Here is to hard to find Pacers jerseys, only Reggie away uniform you find here, in low places. The TV Cable transmit only 1 or 2 games per week, and this season they don't transmit any pacers game. damn. The mostly of people here don't know about NBA, it's terrible.[/QUOTE]

Now that is unfortunate, but get this.. In Hungary, you cannot get ANY Pacers jersey, and belive me, I've tried! There are only a couple of stores which sale NBA gear, and one can only find the most popular jerseys there like LeBron's, Shaq's, Kobe's, Iverson's, T-Mac's..etc..And though a diehard NBA fan, I'm not really interested in those. I had the fortune to meet a couple of Indiana residents last summer in a basketball camp held here in Hungary, (great people, they've really impressed us) so they're my only chance to ever get a Reggie Miller jersey..Which is sad..
    Also, the local sports TV (we've only got one) stopped covering the NBA completely, so I had to figure out other ways to follow the Pacers, that's why I subscribed to be an Internet user. (It's not cheap to do that here!) This way, I'm now able to watch Pacers games, or listen to them via thegamelive.com - which is unbelivable! You guys can't even imagine what listening to Slick and Mark means to a guy, who has never been to the US, never attended a single NBA game, never get to wear his favourite player's jersey, but a real Pacers/Reggie/NBA/Basketball fan! And even in this situation I feel lucky, because I've been able to follow Reggie's farewell year, got to see the last Garden-party (and Knicks fans cheer him!!), see the event after the last regular season game (thanks to you guys, the video has been posted here!), and his last playoff run.. All these things are...unbelivable. So thanks for everything.. I'm looking forward to our next year(even without the man who made me a basketball player..and now a coach), and and I'll always be here following "my team"! GO PACERS!

3ptmiller

Ahhh comon guys, dont be like that Reggie31Mate & Pacers_Brazil... my English suck big time aswell, still i post here as often as i can. People miss treated me first like a 12 year old because of my lack of word vocabulary, sentences, spellings... But later they will know that you are foreigner and people will treat you with huge respect in here!!

reggie31mate

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    Ahhh comon guys, dont be like that Reggie31Mate & Pacers_Brazil... my English suck big time aswell, still i post here as often as i can. People miss treated me first like a 12 year old because of my lack of word vocabulary, sentences, spellings... But later they will know that you are foreigner and people will treat you with huge respect in here!!
    So I guess it has advantages if you suck at English after all.. My ex-teachers would disagree I'm sure, but screw them!
    Thanks for the encouregement though, I'll post as frequently as I can, I do enjoy Pacers conversations more than anything, and I lack basketball fanatic friends anyway..

Well, I am originally from South Bend, Indiana. I moved away to California in '87 for college and I never moved back. In '89 or so my Dad moved to Indy and lived there for about 5 years or so, and I spent some time there when I visited him. However, during those years I wasn't a big NBA fan. I was busy with all kinds of stuff (school, work, relationship, career, etc.) and I didn't really find the time for seriously following sports. I had been really busy with a career through '97 until I started my own business and started working from home. Anyway, long story short, I had extra time on my hands and I started watching basketball - a lot of basketball. But it was Laker games and Clipper games that were on ALL the friggin' time. Naturally, being from Indiana, I just gravitated to the Pacers as a casual fan. But the casual part was short lived. Before I knew it I was hooked, big-time. I was in hog heaven when the Pacers made it to the finals, and I wanted nothing more than to spank LA. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter 'cause the Pacers had Reggie. When they broke the team up, it was hard at first. I was bummed to see DD go, and Jackson, etc. But with Smits retiring and with Bird quiting, it was clearly time to rebuild. I was really bummed again when IT was hired over Carlisle. In fact, I was jealous of the Pistons when they hired Carlisle. I followed the team daily through the offseasons, preseasons and I could never wait for the seasons to begin. I've pretty much visited Pacers.com everyday for the last 6 years or so. About a year ago I started checking out the forums at Indystar, cause I felt like I wanted to share this passion with other fans. After posting there for a short while, I found PD. I lurked here for a while and then joined up and started posting. Now I visit here everyday...

Go Pacers!
    But I am going to miss #31 - Boom Baby!
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My story is kind of funny

I live in Chicago, so for me, growing up with the Pacers in 90s when everyone around me is bulls fans... I consider myself haveing gone through a lot being a die-hard pacers fan. Im one of the only people who is a die-hard pacers fan in chicago, because during the 90s, they all loved Michael.

So, when i was 4 years old, Reggie was playing in his first playoff series in 1990 against the Pistons. I found him entrancing as a little kid who was obsessed with basketball, and sports in general. I LOVED his hairstyle, that cut he had back then. And, when the Pacers lost that series to the pistons, I cried and cried and cried. Thus beginning my tradition of crying whenever the pacers season ends. Its the only time of year that I ever cry. I followed the team during the 90s, but as a little kid does, i wandered from the pacers during various times, such as, for a while i was a huge charolette hornets fan, I loved Larry Johnson, in fact, LJ was the first non-reggie jersey i bought. Then I went through a phase when I LOVED the Washington Bullets. I still remember that lineup, Rod Strikland, Chalbert Cheany, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber and George Muhrasan. I considered myself equally a Pacers and Bullets fan for a while. Then in 1996 I sort of really hit another level in my pacers fandom. I went to a game against the Orlando Magic in Market Square Arena. I was BLOWN away. Not that I had never seen a bulls game in Chicago Stadium, but MSA felt like my home. I loved it immidiatley. I came home with a Dale Davis jersey, a new Reggie Miller jersey, a pacers hat and a pacers poster with Reggie on it. Then came 1998, Eastern Conference finals. OOoooooo boy... I was walking around all series in all my pacers gear i had. I was only 12 years old, but people i didn't even know were already recognizing me as "the pacers fan" It was pretty sweet, and I had the opportunity to go to 4 games in that series. I went to games 1, 4, 5 and 6. It was phenomenal to be at those games. I ate a lot of crow at games 1 and 5, but it was amazing to be with other pacers fans watching the pacers at work in games 4 and 6. I was jumping around, high fiving other pacers fans, when Reggie hit that shot at the end of game 4 over jordan to even up the series... I cried out of happiness for the first time in my life. (although i almost had a heart attack when jordan almost made that very last shot.) I loved the Pacers more then anything else in the world.

Then this past year, I went to the most amount of Pacers games ive even been to, because I have a car and a girlfriend that will go with me whenever I want. I went to both games in Chicago, 19 home games, and 4 playoff games.

This year was the greatest year in my life as far as pacers seasons, and I have reached another pinicle in Pacers fandom. I can't stop myself now, Im going to Butler University in order to be closer to the Pacers and be able to get season tickets.

Not to mention, all these weekends got me going to Colts games, and Im starting to become a diehard for them also.

If you read all this, you have less braincells, but, thanks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie31mate
    Same here! I'm from Hungary, I'm 22, and I'm a Pacers addict for about...I don't know..6-7 years.. I'm a regular lurker, I do not post, because I don't trust my english enough yet..(And because I work in 3 shifts, and when I work at night, I usually don't even trust my hungarian.. ) I just like to come here and find out what the other fans, and Indiana residents think about the team. I also visit the Indystar forums quite frequently, but I couldn't even register there yet, though only tried once with my old hungarian e-mail address... I just don't want to get into an argument, because though I can make a good case for myself in my native tounge, I would propably lose in an english "fight of words" because of the shortage of my vocabulary.
    -

Now that is unfortunate, but get this.. In Hungary, you cannot get ANY Pacers jersey, and belive me, I've tried! There are only a couple of stores which sale NBA gear, and one can only find the most popular jerseys there like LeBron's, Shaq's, Kobe's, Iverson's, T-Mac's..etc..And though a diehard NBA fan, I'm not really interested in those. I had the fortune to meet a couple of Indiana residents last summer in a basketball camp held here in Hungary, (great people, they've really impressed us) so they're my only chance to ever get a Reggie Miller jersey..Which is sad..
    Also, the local sports TV (we've only got one) stopped covering the NBA completely, so I had to figure out other ways to follow the Pacers, that's why I subscribed to be an Internet user. (It's not cheap to do that here!) This way, I'm now able to watch Pacers games, or listen to them via thegamelive.com - which is unbelivable! You guys can't even imagine what listening to Slick and Mark means to a guy, who has never been to the US, never attended a single NBA game, never get to wear his favourite player's jersey, but a real Pacers/Reggie/NBA/Basketball fan! And even in this situation I feel lucky, because I've been able to follow Reggie's farewell year, got to see the last Garden-party (and Knicks fans cheer him!!), see the event after the last regular season game (thanks to you guys, the video has been posted here!), and his last playoff run.. All these things are...unbelivable. So thanks for everything.. I'm looking forward to our next year(even without the man who made me a basketball player..and now a coach), and and I'll always be here following "my team"! GO PACERS!

You write like this and don't trust your English? There are people on the southside of Indy who wish their English was that good.

It's good enough that I almost don't believe you are really Hungarian and are just posting from Huntington, Indiana and pretending to be Hungarian

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

grew up in indiana (greencastle). pacers are in my blood, I guess. better than rooting for one of the cali teams...
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    If you read all this, you have less braincells, but, thanks anyways.
    Not possible for me but thanks for the credit
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I was hatched in Indianapolis. I lived there from 1941-1983. Have always been a basketball fan and the Pacers have always been my team. I met and became acquaintances of Billy Keller and Rick Mount. I suppose it helped that I went to school at Purdue.

Anyway, I moved to Oklahoma in 1983 and to Alabama in 1998. I am still the oldest Pacer fan on this forum, even though IndyGeezer looks a lot older.

I miss not being able to attend the games but I do have League Pass and that helps. I do try to attend some games (Atlanta, New Orleans and Memphis) but it is just not the same as watching with Indiana fans.

My story and I am sticking to it.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

I was born and raised in Miami, Florida and i became a Pacers fan when Larry Bird took over as head coach in 97. Ever since i have been following the Pacers.

NewType

I grew up in Hong Kong. I went to IU and graduated in 2000. Moved around Connecticut, New York, and finally to Michigan in 2002. Started following the Pacers since Reggie's outburst at MSG in 1994 Playoff.

This is a great thread. It reminds me of the Yao Ming quote in the Reggie Miller comemorative book where he talks about how people here don't understand how popular Reggie is overseas. He compared his popularity in China to Jordan's. That's some compliment.