Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long distance Pacer fans

Default Re: Long distance Pacer fans

I'm from Australia (that's what my username stands for - DU = "Down Under")

I've been a Pacer fan since the 93-94 season. Just got sick of the Bulls winning everything. I liked the way the Pacers played TEAM ball and it's what I still love about them.

I've been lucky enough to attend a couple of Pacer games. Both were during the 96-97 seson (I know bad year!) and Larry Brown's last year as coach. Luckily for me the two games I went to were both Pacer wins!

The first game was a game against Boston at Market Square Arena. Reggie won the game with a last second 3 - couldn't have asked for a better finish!! BOOM BABY!

The second game was at... well... our new most hated arena: The Palace of Auburn Hills . Great result though - Pacers' win in OT. We were actually sitting right near where the "incident" would occur 8 years later. The Palace was as poorly run then as it obviously is now, They sold our tickets to someone else (managed to find us some other seats) and the fans were very rude. I s'pose it didn't help that I was wearing a Pacers top!

Anyway, I'm a diehard fan and always will be. I have my Reggie retro jersey as well as my Dale Davis one.

pacer4ever

I'm from Southeast Asia.

To answer the question...REGGIE MILLER. I started watching the NBA when i was very young. It was hard for us to really see a lot of games on the TV at that time because cable TV was virtually non existent, whenever i could though, it was always a game between the Celtics and the Lakers. Sadly, they were the only two teams I was familiar with in the late 80s. Then came the Pistons...yes, i was rooting for the pistons against the Lakers. The years went by and gradually more games were shown in our country. I forgot what year it was and what game but i caught a glimpse of this skinny wierd looking guy with flat tops that looked ridiculous... little did i know at the time that he would be the player i would admire most through the years. Yes, year after year after that glimpse, he shone in my eyes. The knick playoff games before 1995, the 1995 playoffs, the showdown with Orlando's penny hardaway (although rik smits won that game thru a buzzer beater), and many many more. I have been an NBA fanatic ever since, and a bigger PACERS fanatic forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I lived in Indiana all my life until we had to move a little over a year ago. People thought I would become a Magic fan, but there was no way I would do that. I grew up going to games at both MSA and Conseco, and I love Pacers basketball

Earlier this year in preseason, I got to listen to a few games on the internet and hear Slick and Mark again - classic! Thankfully, my parents got me League Pass for Christmas and I still get to watch almost every Pacers game
    So you were involved in the JOneal7 trade right

I know most of you from your postings but for those where it was not formally done - Welcome. It is so great to have true fans from so many places.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Yeah - we had met on a sportscard trading board, and it was so ironic that I was moving down and he was moving up!

PoultryPops

Hmmm, where do I start? I grew up in little ole Rushville, Indiana. I got hooked on the Pacers way back in the ABA Coliseum days. I absolutely cherished nights when I could watch or listen to Mel, Neto, Roger, Billy and Freddie play and usually win. I loved the red white and blue basketball because the backspin showed who the pure shooters were and it looked great swishing through the net. I loved the way they used to blast the siren after Billy Keller (or whomever) would hit another "Homerun". Rajah would do his one on one magic and Mel would be grabbing his one handed rebounds and dominating the opposing centers. I loved the rivalry that they had with the Kentucky Colonels and the Utah Stars. I have since relocated to California and have been here for 30 years. But I have remained loyal to both the Pacers and Colts the whole time.

The main reason that I have been loyal was due to a little mishap that occured while I was in highschool. My mother (who was also a huge fan and has since passed on) and I wanted to attend a game at the Coliseum. We got up early one morning and drove to the box office to purchase the tickets. Along the way we experienced a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. I managed to change the tire in the predawn light and before long we were on our way. We got the tickets and shopped around Indy all day until it was time to go to the game. We go to the game and are sitting in our seats when along comes someone who claims that we were sitting in their seats. We argued that we were in the correct seats. When we showed the tickets to the attendent, he pointed out that they were for the previous nights game. (How we were able to get through the gate I'll never know). The attendent then said that we could stay but that we would have to go to the standing room only area behind one of the baskets. We did go there and stood for well into the fourth quarter before my mom got tired of standing. It had been a long day. Well, a few days later my mom wrote a letter to the Pacer Organization and explained what we went through to go to the game and then to find out that they had given us the wrong tickets. A few weeks passed and my mom recieved a letter with a full refund and a letter of apology. Do you think that I would get something like that from the Lakers or any of the California teams? I don't think so. I love the small market atmosphere of the Pacers and am biding my time until they will bring a championship to Indianapolis. I love the underdog and it will make it that much sweeter when they finally bring it home. Thanks for letting me ramble.

JustDuck

2 words....Fred Jones!

there hasn't been a player to electrify the pac 10 quite like Freddie did his senior year....lead them from nowhere to the great 8. Although he had help from the Luke & Luke show

As much as the suspensions are hurting the pacers in the short term, you cant underestimate the value of getting freddie, harrison, JJ etc....the extra burn. Watch out in the playoffs....and next year for sure

Banned

The day the Pacers drafted Freddy was the day I became a Pacers fan. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, with a little radio to my ear waiting to hear where Freddie was going to be drafted.

I was standing on the track conducting track practice. I wasn't expecting Freddie to get drafted until late in the first round. When the Pacers took him at #14 I couldn't believe it. That night I got online and started reading everything available about the Pacers.

Monday is going to be a rough day for me at work. I'm going to drive up to Seattle tomorrow, then drive back down after the game. I'll only get a few hours sleep but it will be worth it to get to watch Freddy and the boys play.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Long distance Pacer fans

Dutch Pacers fan here. I have been a teletext Pacers/Smits "follower" since he was drafted by the Pacers in 1988. At about 1993 I got Canal+ movie channel which also airs NBA games, that gave me the opportunity to watch 2 or 3 games a week from the NBA, I started reading some more basketball magazines and tried to copy some center moves from what I saw on TV. I remember the first full Pacers game was somewhere in that winter of 1993 against the Knicks and thats when the flame really started to burn for the Pacers as a team and it has only intensified really. Smits retired, but I love this team and probably always will if only because the game has sort of a "culture" or higher meaning than in the other places where teams play, I guess the saying "in 49 states its just basketball, but this is Indiana" has some definite meaning. How could you not love the team than that represents that state and doesn't have that "influence"/Big market image, etc? The weather isn't that super in indy to play golf in the winter, either
    So, the Pacers have some natural limits that influences forinstance whether top players want to play for them in a not so fortunate way. But, too still manage to build such an organization, draw the true sportsfans (the knowledgeable and the emotional) and get the great results, there's just NO way I EVER want to root for another team. One of my greatest wishes now is to watch ATLEAST one home play-off game in the near future in Indy. My girlfriend tells me I am nuts and should grow-up on this, I will just nod "yeah, whatever" and think "NO WAY!!!!!!!" . On the otherhand she loves the passion I have for the game . So, I have decided not to trade her .

Strangely, the player in the NBA I have always liked most next to Smits and Reggie is Alonzo Mourning, just like Ron he's not just an athlete, this is a warrior, I have the greatest respect for him which grew even larger when he got in conflict with the Knicks and in particular a player whose name I SHALL NOT MENTION in order to keep our shrine holy here .... or was it Ewing I forgot .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Grew up in Greenwood; my first big purchase after graduating from college was Pacers season tickets, even though my favorite player had just been traded to Minnesota for a pile of Pooh and some loose change; moved to Chicago after I finished business school; still keep my season tickets so I can go to as many playoff games as possible; I spend a lot of time on I-65 during basketball season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching Reggie Miller and Chuck Person play a first round play off game against Larry Bird and The Celtics.It was either the 1990-91 season or the 1991-92 season. All that I can remember is Reggie and Larry Bird matching basket for basket.

lol@the JOneal7 trade...

I think it's obvious who's the biggest fan on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~03-04 Most Fanatic Poster
    what! I'm going to make my case again...watch!

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Hey there, ABA, I've been meaning to post in this thread but never got around to it until now.

Grew up in Terre Haute, and also lived in Indy and Bloomington before eventually moving out to Boston in '89. Watched the Pacers a little in the pre-Reggie days (particularly the Stipo/Herb Williams/Kellogg team), but was originally a Celtics fans, particularly in the Bird-era. I actually watched many of Bird's college games at Hulman Center back when he was at ISU, and did get to meet him on a couple of occasions; my father was a surgeon who treated him for some of the injuries he suffered in college (not the one who did a poor job on his crooked right index finger though).

I attended some of the draft events that they used to hold down at MSA for the Pacers and was in attendance when Chuck Person's selection was booed (everyone wanted the Pacers to pick Scott Skiles) and when Reggie's selection was booed (by the Steve Alford contingent).

Became a Pacers fan for good during the '91 playoff series between Indy and Boston when I found myself inexplicably rooting for the underdog Pacers against my well-past-their-prime Celts. Been hooked on the Blue and Gold ever since. Started out as a member of the IS Pacers forum back in 2001, then moved over to the original version of PD along with many after the infamous Random Thoughts and pffl incidents...

Cool story Boston - I bet you're glad we have Larry in the office now!

BTW - I love that avatar - where did you get those (or is that just a generic picture)?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot
    Cool story Boston - I bet you're glad we have Larry in the office now!

BTW - I love that avatar - where did you get those (or is that just a generic picture)?
    It's just a pic. I tried to buy the Mark and Slick bobblehead from Conseco during this past summer when I was in Indy for a wedding but unfortunately the gift shop was closed when I went there. Oh well, I'll pick one up someday...

I'll pick one up for you if you want.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I'll pick one up for you if you want.
    I may take you up on that if my siblings who still live in Indy don't take my hints for a Christmas gift for me...

PacerFanInBayAreaCali

I've been a Pacers fan my whole life. I was born in Indianapolis and visit there twice a year. I live in Walnut Creek, Ca. (20 min from San Francisco), and the only other teams I follow are the Kings and Warriors. The Kings are OK, but the Warriors blow a$$. Whenever the Pacers are in town, I usually do the double dip (travel to Sacramento, and then to Oakland the next night).

Just realized I never posted in this.

I grew up in Kokomo and lived in Indy until about 5 years ago.

The Pacers were engraved into my mind from a very young age

Have seen some new names pop up lately so I thought I would bump this.

I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

I've been a Pacers fan for the past seven or eight years although I've never been to Indiana and I've never watched a real NBA game in the flesh. Watching a real game remains one of my goals in life.

I started becoming a Pacers fan in a rather unconventional way. Although I had always followed the NBA with a bit of interest, I never had a favorite team until I started playing the Pacers on my old Super NES ( I forgot the title of the game, though). Uncle Reggie blew me away in the game I just had to see what he was like in the real world. And now, I'm a big Pacers fan!

I join the game chats, I read this board everyday and regularly scour the net for game coverage.

All from playing my Super Nes.

I used to live in Indy. Then I moved.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm from Plainfield then joined the Air Force at the ripe age of 18 in '97. Now I'm stationed in Tucson.

I was born a Pacer fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhaboy
    I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

I've been a Pacers fan for the past seven or eight years although I've never been to Indiana and I've never watched a real NBA game in the flesh. Watching a real game remains one of my goals in life.

I started becoming a Pacers fan in a rather unconventional way. Although I had always followed the NBA with a bit of interest, I never had a favorite team until I started playing the Pacers on my old Super NES ( I forgot the title of the game, though). Uncle Reggie blew me away in the game I just had to see what he was like in the real world. And now, I'm a big Pacers fan!

I join the game chats, I read this board everyday and regularly scour the net for game coverage.

All from playing my Super Nes.
    I always said those game consoles are good for something!

Regards,

Mourning

Pacers_Brazil

Hello there, I'm from Brazil...I always read every topic and come every day here, but I don' like to post because my english is not so good =/

I became a Pacer fan with 10 years in the 1999-2000 season, The Season. Because i watched a highlight with REGGIE and i liked him; after one day i watched a Pacers game on ESPN(only broadcaster that transmits NBA here, and in cable TV =/) and i loved Reggie with his treys and the Pacers with Mark Jackson, Rik Smiths, Dale Davis and Jalen Rose, since that day it was only Pacers for me. After i watched that amazing playoffs and gone crazy.

Here is to hard to find Pacers jerseys, only Reggie away uniform you find here, in low places. The TV Cable transmit only 1 or 2 games per week, and this season they don't transmit any pacers game. damn. The mostly of people here don't know about NBA, it's terrible.

Hey, don't say your english is a reason NOT to post, you can always try and trust me your english pretty decent. I don't think anyone in here had any trouble reading your post, so post more!

Oh yeah, even though you have been around for some time ... welcome to the board!

Regards,

Mourning