Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long distance Pacer fans

Default Long distance Pacer fans

I'm sure this has been asked before. But I'm old . . . and I forgot . . . . so kill me. What made all of you out-of-staters fans of the Pacers?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Re: Long distance Pacer fans

A trip to Indiana when I was like 6.

I became very ill and was stuck on the couch for 2 days while everyone was out having fun. That was when I first saw Reggie Miller and the Pacers play on TV. From that moment on, I was hooked.

indiana_07_pacers

Awhile ago I watched a couple pacers games and saw what kind of show Reggie put on and from there on, I am a Pacers fan. Im from CT.

Freddyfan

Fred Jones.

The kid is simply one of the good guys. Moreover, he absolutely electrified Mac Court in Eugene, Oregon while he was at the U of Ore., especially that
    senior season. I saw some amazing things...

Not to mention...I've always been a Reggie fan...a true clutch player to say the least. I'm proud of the leadership he is now exhibiting and its fun to watch the team win despite losing three starters. Just so happens some of these 'scrubs' can play;-)

sweabs

I only began to watch basketball in 1995. Fortunately for me, I started watching in the playoffs, and what a playoff run that was for our Pacers. Needless to say, Game 1 of the Eastern Conf. Semi Finals against the Knicks - where Reggie scores the infamous 8 points in 8 seconds won me over. After I saw that - I told myself I love this guy. I was a Pacer fan ever since...and forever will be.

Spring of 1991, Eastern Conference playoffs, Round 1.

Chuck Person, Reggie Miller, Michael Williams, Detlef Schrempf, Vern Fleming, Lasalle Thompson, Rik Smits, et al.

Watching them battle Boston right down to the final seconds of the series made me a fan, and they have been my favorite team since.

I am a southeast TX native (my hometown is about 10 miles from Stephen Jackson's hometown). I was alway entertained by the Rockets but never really embraced them.

I've been lurking for years, posted very infrequently at indy star, but figured I could answer this question!

My entire family are die hard Knicks fans. I never really liked the Knicks but always enjoyed basketball and would get pretty into it during the playoffs and would always pick a team to root for. It was during one of the playoff series that Reggie burned the Knicks and I thought to myself, I like this Reggie Miller guy. Didn't really follow them again till the next year and again was impressed by Reggie. Became a huge Reggie fan and little by little started following the team until I became quite obsessed. Finally got League Pass last year and try to watch as many games as I can. I always thought I was more of a Reggie fan and less of a Pacers fan but that has changed and I feel like I'm now a Pacers fan for life.

I try to make it to Knicks Pacers games and Nets Pacers games. I can usually get great tickets through work but I've never felt what it's like to cheer for the Pacers while other people are cheering! I'm planning a trip to Conseco in March and I can't wait to cheer them on with other Pacer fans.

You will love Conseco.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I'm a fan from Eastern Europe, Baltic States - Latvia.

One reason - Reggie Miller. Two episodes - the 8 points in 8 seconds against Knicks in playofs and a highlight from one game where Reggie bowed with some 1x seconds left after making a three,(then the other team also made a three, the player bowed just like Reggie and they won it, but that doesn't matter much).

Never seen any complete game but I count myself as a fan and I want to get as much info as possible.

I'm from Serbia the only games we got out there was the play offs, and during the Bulls and Pacers series, when Reggie hit that game winner and tied the series I became a huge fan of Reggies, then our family moved to U.S and I just watched and loved the Pacers ever since then. So I have been a die hard Pacers fan for about 6 and a half years now.

Truth be told I'm a Blazer fan first. But lets keep that on the down low.

I always liked the Pacers for various reasons. My family is from the midwest and I was born in Illinois (Go Salukis!) so basketball is in my blood. Good basketball that is. The way the Blazers used to play with Drexler, Porter, Buck, Kersey and Duckworth. The way the Pacers play now. When the Blazers traded my favorite player (O'neal) it made me follow the Pacers on a game by game basis wanting JO to do well. Then they drafted Freddie Jones and that was pretty much that. I watched every Pacer game I could and realized how much I loved the way they play the game. Not just because of one or two players but everything about the Pacers. The players, coaches, management and fans.

Everything that the Pacers are now is what the Blazers used to be. If you love the game of basketball you have to love watching the Pacers play.

Oliver1_1

well to add to latvia and serbia...
    germany here

in my 1st ever nba game on tv i saw reggie punch MJ ...
    i saw a spirited team and loud fans fall short time and time again in various rounds of the playoffs....
    i saw reggie win a pre season game here in berlin vs. seattle with a 3 in the last second ....
    and thank god i was able to be in madison square garden to see the "hicks nix the knicks in six"

that makes it easy...to find the "right" team
    its not that much about winning...
    it's more about the passion of the fans , the team and the organization...

and considering that...

is there any other nba team worth rooting for?

pistons?knicks?
    any other of those corrupt big market machines?

no way!

go pacers!

MistyRo76

When I moved to Indiana 14 years ago, I knew little about the Pacers. I was a Utah Jazz fan because of Jeff Hornacek. I grew up in Iowa and my family had season tickets to the Iowa State basketball games. So we really followed Hornaceks success in the NBA. But when the Pacers/Knicks played each other in the playoffs and Reggie scored those 8 points in the last 16 seconds, I thought that this was a team I could really root for and get behinds. Being in Southern Indiana we don't get a whole lot of NBA news and what little we did get was on the Pacers, so I started to follow them. Then they drafted former Cyclone Fred Hoiberg and of course 3 years ago Tinsley. Since they drafted Tinsley, I have really began to follow them religously. Now I have moved to the Cincinnati area but I am still loyal to the Pacers.

From Russia with love
    As for me, Reggie was the primary reason I swiched from the NHL to the NBA. First time I saw him in 1996 during Olymipcs at Atlanta. He was wearing those Moses Malone-like glasses..I was amazed with his style of playing, and immediately became the Pacer fan..But, frankly speaking...Eight years ago, I looked just like Reggie, I mean I was very thin. And he showed me, that big heart can sometimes substitute the lack of muscles..
    Since 2003/2004 season, I've been able to watch 20-25 Pacers games per season (including playoffs). Sometimes I realize, the dream of Pacers championship is the only thing that keeps me going on.

sweabs

It's amazing to see what kind of effect Reggie has had on a lot of us.

This is too cool!

Live in CT now - born and raised in Indiana - lived there for 25 years

I'm from Indianapolis, been living in California for 8 or 9 years now.

Living in Australia, I've been a passive NBA fan since I got into basketball about 10 years ago. The 96 olympics I was watching the Australian Boomers play out of their skin to be only down 5pts at 1/2 time against Team USA. Then Reggie hit the floor and dropped 3pters from all over the court, I was sold.

I started actively following the NBA before the start of last season and loved the rollercoaster ride that was last seasons 61wins + playoffs. It was Reg that got me into the team but I loved the game of so many pacers I was completely hooked. Tins' court vision and passing, Ron's entire game, JO's touch in the post. It usually takes me a couple of days to see the Pacers games cause I have to download them off the net, but I love every second of it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is so Awesome to have so many Pacers fans from all over the U.S. and the World !
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I'm 20, but when I was ten I got given the NBA Video "Furious Finishes". Ever since then I've been a big Reggie and Pacers Fan.

Lol I'm probably the only person in New Zealand with a Reggie Miller poster on my bedroom wall as well as numerous pacers pennants.

Can't wait till Christmas day! Pacers v Pistons shown here

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty much the whole 94 playoffs was why I became a Pacers fan. The Byron Scott 3, Reggie's performances throughout the playoffs, and how they were and underdog in every series.

well...to be honest I never watched the nba till I was about 8....or so..it was in 93 and I had just moved to florida. I was bored one day and I saw a basketball game on..I had always had a buncha cards n stuff (never collected em, jus was given them) and I saw the pacers vs the orlando magic...from that moment on I always rooted for both...The magic lost by a bucket I think as they waived off Nick andersons dunk at the buzzer. When JO joined the team I started to totally love his game and I bought his jersey and stuff and now I live in indy and have season tickets...so it was like just opening the flood gates..lol

I lived in Indiana all my life until we had to move a little over a year ago. People thought I would become a Magic fan, but there was no way I would do that. I grew up going to games at both MSA and Conseco, and I love Pacers basketball

Earlier this year in preseason, I got to listen to a few games on the internet and hear Slick and Mark again - classic! Thankfully, my parents got me League Pass for Christmas and I still get to watch almost every Pacers game

I grew up in Indiana (Z-ville) 7th grade onward and then went on to Purdue and have always followed the Pacers. I remember Johnny Davis, Billy Knight, Herb Williams, Clark Kellogg, Stipo, Vern Fleming, CHUCK PERSON!, Reggie, Byron Scott and on and on. I used to drive down to East street, park for free on the street and buy a single ticket from scalpers (for usually next to nothing because the Pacers won less than 40 games) and sit center court.

I've since lived in several states, but am currently in San Diego, CA. I've been to the Eastern Conference finals several times and flew back for Game 3 of the NBA finals a few years back. Just a die hard fan that was lucky enough to follow his team from the depths of nowhere to the NBA finals!!

I was just in town and went to the Boston Celtics game. Awesome win!

Water