Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are closer to a contender with Josh Smith than they are right now, you don't think the Pacers beat Miami with Josh Smith instead of West or Danny last year? I do.
    No.

1000 times, no.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You compared LeBron's efficiency rating and Josh Smith's efficiency rating in order to backup your point that Smith goes head to head with LeBron. Combine that with you saying that Smith needs to match 80% of LeBron's overall productivity.

Well, the efficiency stat that you used shows that Smith doesn't hit that 80% benchmark you just set.

LeBron efficiency=29.9
    Smith efficiency= 22.1

22.1/29.9=73.9%

Now I'm sure that you're going to explain that your linked efficiency stats weren't the stats that you were trying to use, or that I'm not understanding you correctly, but it seems like your own arguments don't even add up.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

They are closer to a contender with Josh Smith than they are right now, you don't think the Pacers beat Miami with Josh Smith instead of West or Danny last year? I do.
    I think they have a better chance to beat them if it's Danny he replaces, instead of West. All in all, no, I don't think it makes a bit of a difference.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You compared LeBron's efficiency rating and Josh Smith's efficiency rating in order to backup your point that Smith goes head to head with LeBron. Combine that with you saying that Smith needs to match 80% of LeBron's overall productivity.

Well, the efficiency stat that you used shows that Smith doesn't hit that 80% benchmark you just set.

LeBron efficiency=29.9
    Smith efficiency= 22.1

22.1/29.9=73.9%

Now I'm sure that you're going to explain that your linked efficiency stats weren't the stats that you were trying to use, or that I'm not understanding you correctly, but it seems like your own arguments don't even add up.
    73.9% ok you win ...

Yes, but it is ridiculous to compare their stats in that way as if they actually mean anything.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think they have a better chance to beat them if it's Danny he replaces, instead of West. All in all, no, I don't think it makes a bit of a difference.
    I think he would have made a huge difference, defensively, rebounding, shot blocking,etc.

Do I think Battier was going to be able to stop Smith the same way he stopped West? No and 1000 times No!
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Problem is that it wouldn't be Josh Smith instead of Granger OR West. It would be Josh Smith instead of Granger AND West AND either PG or Roy.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Problem is that it wouldn't be Josh Smith instead of Granger OR West. It would be Josh Smith instead of Granger AND West AND either PG or Roy.
    2 of the 3, but your point remains, and is the biggest problem with this argument.

If we were going to get Smith (which I have advocated for before, so it isn't like I'm some anti-Josh Smith hater) it had to be as a trade for his current deal, while he was still locked in. It's too late now.

I like Smith too, but I think it's funny after all of Vnzla's pining for a true superstar he's all hopped to go blow his load on Josh Smith.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I like Smith too, but I think it's funny after all of Vnzla's pining for a true superstar he's all hopped to go blow his load on Josh Smith.
    A "true superstar" is not coming here and nope nobody is hopping to "blow his load" with Josh Smith, I think he could be had for a decent package, maybe the Pacers can do what Philly did when they got Bynum, who ever thought that Iguadola could have got Bynum for Philly? no me.

Did you or did you not say you think we could beat the Heat with Josh Smith? That seems pretty excited to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I bet this is what people in Philly said before they got Bynum or what people in LA said before they got Nash and Howard, or what the people in Dallas said before they got DC, so I guess my point is that you never know.

Banned

Did you or did you not say you think we could beat the Heat with Josh Smith? That seems pretty excited to me.
    People are saying(including you) that "the Pacers with a better bench can beat Miami" (last year and this one) but someway somehow I'm crazy for suggesting that a guy like Josh Smith could help the Pacers beat Miami? who is the crazy one?

People are saying(including you) that "the Pacers with a better bench can beat Miami" (last year and this one) but someway somehow I'm crazy for suggesting that a guy like Josh Smith could help the Pacers beat Miami? who is the crazy one?
    You're all certifiable.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    You're all certifiable.
    That's true but totally beside the point
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

If we traded before the AS break wouldn't we be in the position to match whatever offer he recieved in FA, or would his Bird rights not come to us? My thought was, the only hope of getting JS, is if the Hawks are not going to do a max contract. With Ferry in charge there, who knows what direction they may be going. IIRC, Smith was born and raised about 40/50 miles north of Atl. His family is still there. The hometown lure is one big advantage the Hawks have of keeping him. Waiting until 2014 to try and make a move on a player of this caliber would make it impossible for the Pacers to resign West, George and Granger. This may well be the last year the Ps have a chance of trading for a "superstar" type player to team with PG and DG and Hibbs for a loooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    If we traded before the AS break wouldn't we be in the position to match whatever offer he recieved in FA, or would his Bird rights not come to us? My thought was, the only hope of getting JS, is if the Hawks are not going to do a max contract. With Ferry in charge there, who knows what direction they may be going. IIRC, Smith was born and raised about 40/50 miles north of Atl. His family is still there. The hometown lure is one big advantage the Hawks have of keeping him. Waiting until 2014 to try and make a move on a player of this caliber would make it impossible for the Pacers to resign West, George and Granger. This may well be the last year the Ps have a chance of trading for a "superstar" type player to team with PG and DG and Hibbs for a loooong time.
    Bird rights mean that you can go over cap to sign your player. You are thinking about restricted free agent rights. Those are different and apply to guys coming off rookie contracts (with a few exceptions, but basically, guys at the start of their careers).

If Josh could fall in line with the Pacers, and be a team guy, you would have to consider signing him as a free-agent with West's deal expiring
    David "And One" West

Except we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    If Josh could fall in line with the Pacers, and be a team guy, you would have to consider signing him as a free-agent with West's deal expiring
    Guys like Josh Smith are not going to change. Truth is people in general don't change that much throughout life. Sure people might change habits, basketball wise that would be watching film and putting in more time in the gym to improve. Personality wise? People really don't change much. (general speaking) I'd rather avoid players like Josh Smith regardless of talent.

I have not said that. Right now I don't think we can beat Miami ask anyone at the forum party if you don't believe me. Getting Josh Smith at the cost will take to get him will not do it either. I am upbeat about this season but I don't really see anyone beating Miami

he's all hopped to go blow his load on Josh Smith.
    Is it wrong that this is the first thing I thought of when reading the above?

We shouldn't have the money to sign Josh Smith in the offseason. He doesn't look like much of an opportunity.

Anywho- Could the Pacers have beat Miami with Josh Smith instead of West last season? Yes, easily.

You have to remember Miami was severely undermanned once Bosh went out. Because they're such a top heavy team, they rely heavily on their top guys, and as much as people want to criticize Bosh, he is a really good player. This is the only reason why Indiana was able to get a 2-1 lead in the first place.

It's the only reason why Boston was able to get a 3-2 lead on Miami. The team was playing hurt and were not playing their best basketball.

Had Smith played instead of West, in an entirely unpossible hypothetical scenario, the Pacers could have dominated the boards, protected the rim even when Hibbert was on the bench, and forced LBJ to play the four against Smith. This would have helped Granger's scoring. Smith's presence would have helped the Pacers in nearly every facet simply because he would have been filling a need for the Pacers.

Had Smith replaced Granger in this ridiculous scenario, the results would have been identical to this years past postseason. Smith, like Granger would have just gotten beat like a rented mule by LeBron, and West would have once again gotten beat by Battier. No difference.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

When we talk about beating Miami it really, really, REALLY needs to be mentioned that Bosh went down in Game 1. I don't care if we were up 6 at half. It screwed Miami's offensive sets to high heaven, it took them a couple games to adjust, and we all know the rest. People need to stop looking at Bosh going down like it was us losing Hansbrough or something.

I'll give us a puncher's chance against anyone, but Bosh getting hurt is the reason it even went 6.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Had Smith played instead of West, in an entirely unpossible hypothetical scenario, the Pacers could have dominated the boards, protected the rim even when Hibbert was on the bench, and forced LBJ to play the four against Smith. This would have helped Granger's scoring. Smith's presence would have helped the Pacers in nearly every facet simply because he would have been filling a need for the Pacers.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: