Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Report: Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind us gong after him next summer, though ideally I think we could use a better outside shooter to replace tayshaun next summer.

Defensively, though....Smoove and Drummond? Dare to dream...
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

Josh Smith would drive most people on here crazy with that god awful ugly outside shot that he loves to put up with way to much regularity, and yes he shoots it much worse outside than Danny.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm quite aware that unpossible isn't a word. I use it frequently. Much like someone using "impossibru" I use it for effect.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Until he proves me wrong this season, I'd rather spend a more modest amount to keep David West, than spend an exorbitant amount to bring in Josh Smith.

Smith is the better player, he's younger, he's more athletic, and he'd probably be a better fit next to Hibbert, but I don't think his personality meshes with what they are trying to do. I also don't see it as a move that would put us into a tier, with the true contenders in the league, and thus not worth the investment.
    David West may be proving me wrong. Josh Smith might not be the better player after all. West is getting better and better every game. I really hope this organization is willing to do what it takes to keep this guy. He is tougher than anybody we've had here since Peck's boy Double D.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I wish he was 6 years younger, one of my favorite Pacers in a long time.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

David West may be proving me wrong. Josh Smith might not be the better player after all. West is getting better and better every game. I really hope this organization is willing to do what it takes to keep this guy. He is tougher than anybody we've had here since Peck's boy Double D.
    I agree. He's awesome. You can't put a price on mental fortitude and double-team busting strength in the post.

Just have to make the right assessment as to how much gas he has left in the tank given his age.

If we could get him into a higher salary shorter term contract, that'd be ideal. Another contract of the same size and length?

Given that it's his last big contract, he probably won't accept that.

Banned

5 years and 50 mil make it happen Walsh.........

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The way he is playing now, he's a steal at $10 million per year. Unfortunately, he's already 32 years old, and he should be looking for more annual money, this summer. How much more, is the question.

I could see the pistons taking a stab at west if the market dries up for him elsewhere. They need a veteran big.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

The way he is playing now, he's a steal at $10 million per year. Unfortunately, he's already 32 years old, and he should be looking for more annual money, this summer. How much more, is the question.
    I wouldn't mind a younger West(I was a fan of younger West) but at 32 I hope they don't re-sign him, I hope somebody else offers him some crazy money and gets stuck with that contract ala Elton Brand/Boozer, I don't think is he is worth as much as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Hopefully he's at the top of our wishlist next summer. We can outspend anyone besides Atlanta.
    West and Monroe, with Drummond, would be an absolute nightmare.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Hopefully he's at the top of our wishlist next summer. We can outspend anyone besides Atlanta.
    Let's hope so

Well, I think if they can't get Cody Zeller, they'll look hard at options in free agency for a third quality big, like boozer, smith or Millsapp.

West would be a longshot, but a possibility if things don't work out for both parties elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Sometimes I can agree with you and other times your statements just baffle me. Stop and think how old DWest will be the latter part of that 5 year contract. What's his health going to be? Just remember you were willing to sell the farm for Nene, and how did that work out for Denver? How's it working out for Washington? I'm not looking for WALSH to add anymore albatross contracts to the Pacers. Dunleavy and Murphy was more than I could stand for 4 years. I don'ty like Mahinmi or Green's guaranteed contracts. A 3 year deal is the most Walsh should even consider offering DWest. Bird got Dwest to sign for 2 years, but then Bird seems to have been a better negoiator than Walsh. Bird didn't make it a habit to get stupid overpaying to keep players.

How's EJ doing for the Hornets too? This isn't monopoly money. It's real money that can only go so far, and needs to be spent prudently and not foolishly.

Who is that player the Pacers need to make them a true competitor and how do you get that player w/o gutting the team or putting them in salarly hell? I truly don't know. It would make for an interseting thread, so someone should start a thread to discuss this very thing!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Sometimes I can agree with you and other times your statements just baffle me. Stop and think how old DWest will be the latter part of that 5 year contract. What's his health going to be? Just remember you were willing to sell the farm for Nene, and how did that work out for Denver? How's it working out for Washington? I'm not looking for WALSH to add anymore albatross contracts to the Pacers. Dunleavy and Murphy was more than I could stand for 4 years. I don'ty like Mahinmi or Green's guaranteed contracts. A 3 year deal is the most Walsh should even consider offering DWest. Bird got Dwest to sign for 2 years, but then Bird seems to have been a better negoiator than Walsh. Bird didn't make it a habit to get stupid overpaying to keep players.

How's EJ doing for the Hornets too? This isn't monopoly money. It's real money that can only go so far, and needs to be spent prudently and not foolishly.

Who is that player the Pacers need to make them a true competitor and how do you get that player w/o gutting the team or putting them in salarly hell? I truly don't know. It would make for an interseting thread, so someone should start a thread to discuss this very thing!
    I was been sarcastic I don't want West back even for two or three years, there is not point in doing that.

If David continues to perform at the level he is now, I think we'll all be susprised at the money he'll be offered next year. The deciding factor may be the same as what brought him here in the first place. If the team continues to improves so he can play with a winner, and his family enjoys Indpls, he may give us a discount. If not, then money will probably be the deciding factor for him. 3 years, 35/40 million? Could we do it?

A good management team would trade West by the all star break.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

The thing that messes me up when thinking about how much and how long that you should think about signing West for is this... Almost nothing he does is predicated on athleticism that you lose as you get into your mid 30s. It not speed or leaping ability. He'll actually get stronger, I think he already is much bigger stronger than a 26 year old version of himself. Then you have to price in injuries, but beside the knee, he doesn't miss games, at least not here. So, normally I'd be hesitant to want to do a longer term deal, but honestly I can almost talk myself into it. His toughness just epitomizes how this team is now. Its not just him, its George Hill and Danny, but this team would get punked routinely in its previous incarnations without him. Its not that way anymore. I think worse case he loses a step defensively and then you can work on getting your 'next' power foward and still give minutes to West at the center spot as he get slower, but again, probably stronger/bigger.

So ya, either way you fall on this one, I think you could turn out wrong.

Seth is right he is a B A M F, that goes a long way with me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I was high on trading West as well. Now less so. There's value to be had but he provides several traits I think we lack that won't change with age--he's smart, he's tough, and he's a leader. Josh Smith provides none of these things. Not sure he would be a good alternative. Especially the smarts--not a lot of high bball IQ players in Indy. At points last night, he was literally directing the offense. He's a different type of "tough" guy.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    A good management team would trade West by the all star break.
    I agree on that sentiment.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    The thing that messes me up when thinking about how much and how long that you should think about signing West for is this... Almost nothing he does is predicated on athleticism that you lose as you get into your mid 30s. It not speed or leaping ability. He'll actually get stronger, I think he already is much bigger stronger than a 26 year old version of himself. Then you have to price in injuries, but beside the knee, he doesn't miss games, at least not here. So, normally I'd be hesitant to want to do a longer term deal, but honestly I can almost talk myself into it. His toughness just epitomizes how this team is now. Its not just him, its George Hill and Danny, but this team would get punked routinely in its previous incarnations without him. Its not that way anymore. I think worse case he loses a step defensively and then you can work on getting your 'next' power foward and still give minutes to West at the center spot as he get slower, but again, probably stronger/bigger.

So ya, either way you fall on this one, I think you could turn out wrong.

Seth is right he is a B A M F, that goes a long way with me.
    Well he has to play D on the other side, the older he gets the worse he is going to be, championship teams need players that can play in both side at a high level, now if the goal is not to go for a championship then by all means lets use all the cap space next year on him.

Josh Smith is the perfect player to put next to Roy. Mattie and Vnzla have this one right.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post: