Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD Forum Party

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default PD Forum Party

Folks I had a great time and learned a lot about the Pacers and about the people who make up Pacers Digest! Hope I can make another party in the future.
    BTW for anyone who is interested you can follow our travels at www.mccorkles.org.
    BobbyMac

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Default Re: PD Forum Party

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folks I had a great time and learned a lot about the Pacers and about the people who make up Pacers Digest! Hope I can make another party in the future.
    BTW for anyone who is interested you can follow our travels at www.mccorkles.org.
    BobbyMac

Your website is really nice. I would love to travel and explore as much as you do. Seems like it would always keep things interesting.

Bobby, it was nice to meet you as well as all of the other new faces or ones I hadn't seen in quite a while. I enjoy the company of the regulars, but it's definitely nice to add some new people to the mix.

Let's see, who all were people I hadn't met before?

I saw mattie but didn't really get to talk with him.

owl made a surprise appearance for a while. Bobby Mac, shags, pacer4ever (though I'd see him at the Fieldhouse sometimes, never at one of these), DrFife, and Brohan Cruyff (never in a million years would have guessed on the spelling, hell I couldn't pronounce it and stuck with his real first name ). I think those were all of the first-timers?

I think this was kester99's second appearance.

Regulars were myself, Peck, Jose Slaughter, Naptown Seth, Roaming Gnome, I think this was the 3rd time for Trader Joe, counting draft parties?, BillS, LadyAT, Gamble1, and... I believe that was everybody?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'm really bummed I couldn't make it. Tried to give it a go but just didn't have it in me yesterday (and still feeling it today).

How did the new location work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Brohan Cruyff (never in a million years would have guessed on the spelling, hell I couldn't pronounce it and stuck with his real first name ).
    This is what I get for basing my whole online persona on a Dutch soccer player's name.

Had a great time, hopefully I can spend a bit more time on the forum this season so people will know who I am at the next one! Thanks to everyone who set things up.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Definitely ready for the next one already haha

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    How did the new location work out?
    Not well, we won't be returning.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Fox and Hound or Perkins?

Wish I could of gone, had a close friends birthday party. Hopefully next time.

I definitely like being able to go somewhere where we can get beers and food, but yeah management last night at Fox and Hound were pretty much ******** and to totally blow off a part of around 16 is a poor way to do business. It seemed like pretty much any request we made of them was a big hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Fox and Hound or Perkins?

Wish I could of gone, had a close friends birthday party. Hopefully next time.
    The Fox and the Hound was the problem.

Perkins is almost perfect for us.

Open 24 hours, pie. right next to an exit on 465, pie, plenty of room, pie, quite and pie.

He they had beer we could move in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

The Fox and the Hound was the problem.

Open 24 hours, pie. right next to an exit on 465, pie, plenty of room, pie, quite and pie.

Even though I was there for only an hour I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Just a great group of people who love the Pacers
    and good friendship. Too loud unfortunately. Thanks for your kindness Jose. Looking forward to the season gathering. Hicks,Peck,Pacersforever,TraderJoe,BobbyMac...gree tings.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Thanks to Jose for setting it up and Peck for moderating the discussions. It was nice to put faces to screen names, but mainly to meet a group of people who are big NBA fans. They're especially tolerant of Piston fans.

Ugh. Do not slander my friends name. Management at Fox and the Hound was NOT the problem.

The party arrangements originally had a specific room reserved. We were moved too a different room because another group actually PAID to have the room we wanted. Considering that every bar in the country has people have reservations and then NEVER show up, when someone actually pays, they get preferential treatment.

Considering the new room they moved us too had enough room to seat all of us, neither I nor the management figured this would be a problem. It was. This is MY FAULT. So if anyone is upset we were moved, make sure you're clear that I'm the *******, dickhead, or whatever insult is necessary to describe me. (I should have let everyone know the location had been moved to a different room so new arrangements could be made).

After a server was given trouble, (despite her job being nothing more than a server) despite free food already having been given to the group, and after the group was finally moved once again I believe management was more than accommodating.

Now, the location is not what you guys want so in the future we can find a much better location, so this is all simply water under the bridge. Who cares.

But let's be clear- Management at Fox and the Hound, which hosts parties for hundreds of sports fanatics all year long without ANY complaints, did all that was necessary to please the wishes of the party.

Anywho- all that matters is everyone had a great time, and it sounds like all did, so the next time we'll just make sure we don't go to Fox! Cheers!
    Last edited by mattie; 10-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Do they have pie?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Good to meet many new people, it was a nice dynamic. One of my favorite things about Digest is the in-person interactions. I find that meeting people takes the edge off of some of the online discussions later because you have a face and voice to go with those words and it gives you new perspective on where they are coming from.

It was a weird discussion night. First the situation was an extremely poor fit for what a PD party is. The whole point of a PD party is discussion, not "hanging out", so the space needs to be quiet except for the group. And it's best to keep the group away from others because of all the loud discussion. That's the importance of an isolated room.

And then on top of that our topics just didn't have the zing of controversy to them. Not that this is a bad thing because for the most part it was case of everyone being in pleased agreement about the team's chances. No one thought the team was in trouble, no one thought they were title favorites either. I think everyone ranked them 2nd in the East, and a big reason for that was the view that the main 9 (starters, Green, Ian, DJ, Young) are all pretty solid and in total are a fair improvement over last year (say better by 10% maybe). Even the Tyler subject has reached a near end as a debate at this point.

Heck, when Bobby Mac told a story about the rowdy ABA teams it made me bring up the Brawl as a discussion about how the perception of it being "worst thing ever by players" was incorrect in the context of the forgotten ABA antics, and I think everyone was pretty much in agreement on that. Usually the inevitable brawl discussion blows into some moderately heated discussion, but now it seems like everyone is past it finally and can talk about it with some reduced emotions.

So that's where we are as a Pacers fanbase - moderately pleased, slightly comfortable. The ire and angst of recent seasons has really faded, but it hasn't quite been replaced with outright exuberance. I'd say we are in a holding pattern over Honolulu. We haven't touched down in paradise and there's no guarantee we will, but there's a sense that with a little patience we just might find ourselves there in the near future.

Having said that I'm teetering on full blown enthusiasm for their title chances THIS year.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sorry I couldn't make this one. First one I've missed in a long time.

Look forward to next one

I ended up not being in Indy this weekend and was unable to go. Hopefully I can make one this year.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

A shame, really, it could have been the perfect place. Well, aside perhaps from the bit of intestinal discomfort my wife and I were suffering the next morning - too much fried food, I'm guessing.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Ugh. Do not slander my friends name. Management at Fox and the Hound was NOT the problem.

Peace Mattie. The waitress staff was very attentive and gave chips and salsa while we were in a holding pattern.
    No problems. A quieter venue is really what these kinds of gatherings need to help facilitate discussion where the whole group can participate. Thanks for your efforts.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    A shame, really, it could have been the perfect place. Well, aside perhaps from the bit of intestinal discomfort my wife and I were suffering the next morning - too much fried food, I'm guessing.
    You guys, too, huh? Hmm...

Not trying to insult or slander anyone Mattie. Servers at Fox and Hound were great, but it was disappointing to feel like we were hassling them to get some space set aside for us that's all. Criticism makes everyone better anyway. They were slammed that night, it happens. I don't hold any grudge against them and honestly I would go back if we could actually guarantee ourselves one of the side rooms. It would have been perfect from that perspective. So it's not like they lost my business just felt they could have had a better evening that night. But where you're slammed sometimes things get missed. I'm not holding any grudges though. My beer was still cold and still beer!

Thanks for taking the time to set up a venue regardless. Better than not having a place to go
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had a lot of fun can talk basketball all day and was fun to meet you all it was a blast cant wait for the next one.

plus the great stories about the ABA days were a pleasure to hear.

On one subject we discussed about a potential Ian Hibbert lineup. I think another thing we will see depending on match ups will be Ian in at C and Roy on the bench depending on how much a team uses PnR. Like I said the reason I loved Ian is his PnR defense and overall defense. I think some games this season if Hibbert is getting exposed in PnR defense like the Heat did to him in the playoffs we will see Ian play many more minutes than normal and it could be with Hibbert at the 4 but I also think at times it will be in favor of Hibbert(depending on how the game is going and how Hibbert is playing on offense).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yeah, thanks to Dr. Fife for starting up the whole "Ian with Roy" discussion which was one of the few non-player evaluation discussions we had.

For those that weren't there, the idea was how much would we see Ian paired with Roy on the court, if at all. I felt like we would see it in the playoffs and maybe a little in the season. Opinions varied a little bit off of that but no one took an extreme stance for or against the possibility.

Fundamentally the concern would be Ian's fouls, or Roy's for that matter (or his stamina). But Ian could make a physically imposing PF to held with defensive boards following up Roy's shot blocks. And an angle I took was that if you have a lead late then Ian is more of your defensive closer than West is.

billbradley

The new defenders surrounding Ian might help his foul trouble. While good defensively as a team, individually Dallas was an older team. I didn't watch to much of Dallas last year, but maybe they had more opponents getting to the rim with VC and Kidd out there.

I would be dead set against any lineup that had both Ian and Roy. I'd be shocked if we saw it - there would have to be major injuries and foul trouble for us to see that. And I certainly hope we don't see it. (last thing we need is a slower less athletic lineup)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: